FLM films - My Webpage

2002-11-17 22:23:49-05:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - ("Mathew R. Ignash" <mathewignash@comcast.net>)

On 18 Nov 2002 03:13:05 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote: > No space for you! > > Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe > that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than > adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was > the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump > action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is > somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. Let's not forget about his gun-toting in Expecting! Very odd, the only gun guy on the show is a Brit. Plsu he has the stake launcher and the sword thing. I love that. -- Mathew Homepage - http://mathew.fcpages.com/ Angel web site - http://angel.fcpages.com/

2002-11-17 22:27:24-05:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Teddi Litman <daybreaq@bellsouth.net>)

"Chris" <broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam> wrote in message > Now the big question...... How exactly are we supposed to believe that fire > raining from the heavens isn't going to concern our girl Buffy living not but a > few hours drive away (me thinks the fire storm could be seen easily from > SunnyD)? Honestly, two giant evil things rising from the deep in the same damn > state, both standing an apparently equal chance of ending the world, and > neither is at all aware of what is happening just down the road. I've heard that "Angel" is going on an 8 week hiatus. So maybe by the time it returns, BtVS will have caught up with it's own apocalyptic events and they'll say they occurred at the same time. Teddi

2002-11-17 22:29:03-05:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - ("J. Doe" <foo@bar.com>)

Chris wrote: > > No space for you! > > Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe > that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than > adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was > the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump > action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is > somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. > > Granted, they didn't work, but the fact remains that they're still worth trying > and crossbows are also just stupid. Anywho. Yes, agreed. When I saw him pull those out, I thought to myself "Hmmm, maybe the writers have been reading this newsgroup, and the buffy group, and are finnally responding to all those people who ask why nobody bothers with guns in the Buffy/Angel universe". And now the minor pedantic technical nit-picking part: I don't think they were a pair of 9's(by which I assume you mean 9mm's), they looked like 45's to me. A 1911A1 only carries 7 rounds, where as most 9mm's carry anywhere from 13 to 15 rounds. I got the impression that he only fired around 7 rounds from each gun before he was out of ammo, but I didn't tape the ep, so I can't verify that. Anybody with a tape want to check this out for me? --- Gregc

2002-11-17 22:52:17-05:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - ("Mathew R. Ignash" <mathewignash@comcast.net>)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:29:03 -0500, "J. Doe" wrote: > And now the minor pedantic technical nit-picking part: > I don't think they were a pair of 9's(by which I assume you mean 9mm's), > they looked like 45's to me. A 1911A1 only carries 7 rounds, where as > most 9mm's carry anywhere from 13 to 15 rounds. I got the impression that > he only fired around 7 rounds from each gun before he was out of ammo, but > I didn't tape the ep, so I can't verify that. Anybody with a tape want to > check this out for me? I just rewatched it and he seemed to fire 7 shots form each simultaniously, although they did change the angle once during the shooting do we saw the firing and what appeared to be the bullets hitting a moment later, so it could have been 8. He also got 4 shots off from the shotgun. -- Mathew Homepage - http://mathew.fcpages.com/ Angel web site - http://angel.fcpages.com/

2002-11-17 23:00:18-05:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - ("Mathew R. Ignash" <mathewignash@comcast.net>)

On 18 Nov 2002 03:49:35 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote: > That is odd. Even more so seeing as the black inner city guy is they're muscle > and of all of them he'd be the most stereotypically likely to have some sort of > firearm. Perhaps that's exactly the reason the writer's haven't given Gunn a > gun, afraid of stereotypes and the like. Blah, Gunn should have an uzi! No, that was the other token black guy, Mister Trick, who said to use an uzi. Too bad for him he never did try one! -- Mathew Homepage - http://mathew.fcpages.com/ Angel web site - http://angel.fcpages.com/

2002-11-17 23:08:39-08:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Mark_Reichert@hotmail.com)

"J. Doe" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message news:<3DD85E7F.DD991558@bar.com>... > And now the minor pedantic technical nit-picking part: > I don't think they were a pair of 9's(by which I assume you mean 9mm's), > they looked like 45's to me. A 1911A1 only carries 7 rounds, where as > most 9mm's carry anywhere from 13 to 15 rounds. I got the impression that > he only fired around 7 rounds from each gun before he was out of ammo, but > I didn't tape the ep, so I can't verify that. Anybody with a tape want to > check this out for me? I'd want the punch of a 45 caliber bullet if I was up against that thing.

2002-11-18 00:19:22-07:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On 17 Nov 2002 23:08:39 -0800, Mark_Reichert@hotmail.com (Mark Reichert) wrote: >"J. Doe" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message news:<3DD85E7F.DD991558@bar.com>... >> And now the minor pedantic technical nit-picking part: >> I don't think they were a pair of 9's(by which I assume you mean 9mm's), >> they looked like 45's to me. A 1911A1 only carries 7 rounds, where as >> most 9mm's carry anywhere from 13 to 15 rounds. I got the impression that >> he only fired around 7 rounds from each gun before he was out of ammo, but >> I didn't tape the ep, so I can't verify that. Anybody with a tape want to >> check this out for me? > >I'd want the punch of a 45 caliber bullet if I was up against that thing. I'd want to borrow Buffy's rocket launcher, myself. -- I have a theory It could be bunnies

2002-11-18 03:13:05+00:00 - Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

No space for you! Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. Granted, they didn't work, but the fact remains that they're still worth trying and crossbows are also just stupid. Anywho. Onto the part that made my head go pop..... Cordy and Connor..... How odd. That's all I gots to say about that. Nice ending fight BTW, loved the slow mo's (especially with Wes unloading on stoney guy), was impressed by the whole stabbing Angel in the neck thing, very nasty and well done. All in all an excellent ep. Now the big question...... How exactly are we supposed to believe that fire raining from the heavens isn't going to concern our girl Buffy living not but a few hours drive away (me thinks the fire storm could be seen easily from SunnyD)? Honestly, two giant evil things rising from the deep in the same damn state, both standing an apparently equal chance of ending the world, and neither is at all aware of what is happening just down the road. If the writers don't some how connect what is happening in Sunnydale to what's happening in LA I'm gonna just snap. It's quite aggravating. Anywho, on with show! ^_^ The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- anime moderator at: http://www.digital-psyche.com/vb handle is Dai-Tenchi -------------

2002-11-18 03:20:16+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Tirya <Tirya@spamfree.addy>)

"Chris" <broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam> wrote in message news:20021117221305.06081.00000023@mb-fq.aol.com... > Now the big question...... How exactly are we supposed to believe that fire > raining from the heavens isn't going to concern our girl Buffy living not but a > few hours drive away (me thinks the fire storm could be seen easily from > SunnyD)? Blame it on this week's Leonid meteor shower? ::grin:: Tirya -- TDC Inca Jeeper ...which nicely encompasses three hobbies in one!

2002-11-18 03:48:14+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

Yes I meant 9mm. It just sounds better to say 9's. Yeah, he only got off about 7 shots. The did in fact look very much like the Colt 1911 model. Shiny though ^_^ Still wondering why Gunn doesn't have an uzi. The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- anime moderator at: http://www.digital-psyche.com/vb handle is Dai-Tenchi -------------

2002-11-18 03:49:35+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

That is odd. Even more so seeing as the black inner city guy is they're muscle and of all of them he'd be the most stereotypically likely to have some sort of firearm. Perhaps that's exactly the reason the writer's haven't given Gunn a gun, afraid of stereotypes and the like. Blah, Gunn should have an uzi! ^_^ YAY The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- anime moderator at: http://www.digital-psyche.com/vb handle is Dai-Tenchi -------------

2002-11-18 04:21:40+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (wiggs@odysseus.wiggs.org)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:29:03 -0500, J. Doe <foo@bar.com> wrote: >Chris wrote: >> >> No space for you! >> >> Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe >> that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than >> adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was >> the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump >> action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is >> somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. >> >> Granted, they didn't work, but the fact remains that they're still worth trying >> and crossbows are also just stupid. Anywho. > >Yes, agreed. When I saw him pull those out, I thought to myself "Hmmm, maybe >the writers have been reading this newsgroup, and the buffy group, and are >finnally responding to all those people who ask why nobody bothers with >guns in the Buffy/Angel universe". > >And now the minor pedantic technical nit-picking part: >I don't think they were a pair of 9's(by which I assume you mean 9mm's), >they looked like 45's to me. A 1911A1 only carries 7 rounds, where as >most 9mm's carry anywhere from 13 to 15 rounds. I got the impression that >he only fired around 7 rounds from each gun before he was out of ammo, but >I didn't tape the ep, so I can't verify that. Anybody with a tape want to >check this out for me? Just got done watching this ep, which I did indeed enjoy. And to answer your question, I was delighted that they actually got this right for a change. You're right, they were plain-jane 45 caliber 1911A1s, which hold 7 rounds in the clip plus one in the chamber. He fired 7 rounds from each gun, though it looked like there *might* have been an 8th from the gun he had in his right hand at the very end there. The "guns with infinite clips" thing is a minor peeve of mine, so I was actually paying attention and was pleased to see the slides lock open on the 7th (8th?) shot. I remember thinking: "I'll be damned, they got it right for a change." The other thing I thought interesting is that he fired the guns simultaneously, rather than the usual thing you see on screen where they alternate left-right. It made for a good visual effect, especially synced up with the simultaneous squibs on Mr. Stoney's chest. >--- >Gregc -- James Wiggs Email: wiggs@NOwiggsSPAM.net ICBM: 97 30 18 W, 42 52 27 N

2002-11-18 05:55:39+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

Crossbows and swords failed too. By your reasoning that would mean the scene was there to say all weapons were ineffective, which in fact they may well be in this creature's case. However that only backs up the part idea that the writer's acknowledged a gun's power, it was the last weapon used, to sound incredibly lame Wes pulled out "the big guns" and they didn't work on stoney boy. Wes has been shown several times to effectively pack heat. I think this is just a step in the right direction where by the writer's realize they don't have to totally ignore the existance of the firearm (or totally patronize it) in order to sate their incredibly liberal tendancies. La la la The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- anime moderator at: http://www.digital-psyche.com/vb handle is Dai-Tenchi -------------

2002-11-18 07:02:27+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com)

James K. Wiggs <wiggs@odysseus.wiggs.org> wrote: > I remember thinking: "I'll be damned, they > got it right for a change." I was thinking he's a helluva shot, to be able to hit every time, and without using sights. Even at that range, it's pretty amazing.

2002-11-18 07:48:57+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Dan Solomon <dansolo@attbi.com>)

cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com (Mark Nobles) wrote in news:1fltjha.hx246z1d6e685N%cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com: > James K. Wiggs <wiggs@odysseus.wiggs.org> wrote: > >> I remember thinking: "I'll be damned, they >> got it right for a change." > > I was thinking he's a helluva shot, to be able to hit every time, and > without using sights. Even at that range, it's pretty amazing. We've already seen Wesley's prowess with firearms in the episode "Expecting", I believe. Dan Solomon

2002-11-18 08:48:53-08:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (dogglebe@yahoo.com)

broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote in message news:<20021117221305.06081.00000023@mb-fq.aol.com>... > No space for you! > > Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe > that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than > adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was > the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump > action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is > somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. Carrying firarms doesn't mean anything except that Wesley doesn't want to get too close to his opponent. FWIW, he was the only one on the rooftop carrying a weapon that couldn't kill a vampire. Phil ======== visit the New York City Homebrewers Guild website: http://www.homebrewersguild.org

2002-11-18 09:46:45+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (buffhunter@my-deja.com)

In article <20021117221305.06081.00000023@mb-fq.aol.com>, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam says... > No space for you! > > Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe > that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than > adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was > the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump > action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is > somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. > > Granted, they didn't work, but the fact remains that they're still worth trying > and crossbows are also just stupid. Anywho. > > Onto the part that made my head go pop..... Cordy and Connor..... How odd. > That's all I gots to say about that. > > Nice ending fight BTW, loved the slow mo's (especially with Wes unloading on > stoney guy), was impressed by the whole stabbing Angel in the neck thing, very > nasty and well done. > > All in all an excellent ep. > > Now the big question...... How exactly are we supposed to believe that fire > raining from the heavens isn't going to concern our girl Buffy living not but a > few hours drive away (me thinks the fire storm could be seen easily from > SunnyD)? Honestly, two giant evil things rising from the deep in the same damn > state, both standing an apparently equal chance of ending the world, and > neither is at all aware of what is happening just down the road. If the > writers don't some how connect what is happening in Sunnydale to what's > happening in LA I'm gonna just snap. It's quite aggravating. > > Anywho, on with show! ^_^ > > > > The Brooding One > Chris O'Connor > ------------- > anime moderator at: > http://www.digital-psyche.com/vb > handle is Dai-Tenchi > ------------- > Wait for the feburary sweeps when Faith shows up. -- ----->Hunter "No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'." -----William J. McDonald Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

2002-11-18 14:13:39+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Ken Arromdee <arromdee@mauve.rahul.net> wrote: >No, it doesn't count. >It doesn't count because the guns didn't work. It's a writer cheat--by >having a character use guns only in a situation where the guns don't work, >it makes the guns look ineffectual. The whole point of that scene was to >(badly) tell us that the characters *don't* have a reason to use guns--after >all, they tried them and it failed, right? I don't know. I can see both sides. I think the point was that nothing they could've done would have stopped the thing. >(And I wonder what Buffy's rocket launcher would have done.) Probably knocked it off the roof without hurting it even a little bit. I get the idea this baddie isn't one you want to fight physically. Though I fully expect that to change at some point, maybe with a spell that lets Angel kick his ass demono-a-demono. Actually, the rocket launcher might not've done anything at all. Don't most of those things have a minimum arming range? Didn't look like there was room on the roof there. Pete

2002-11-18 16:28:42+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Toodles <Diva2525@pacbell.net>)

Mathew R. Ignash wrote: > On 18 Nov 2002 03:13:05 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote: > >>No space for you! >> >>Well, well, well.... we've seen it before; Wesley packs heat. In a universe >>that inexplicably embraces ancient, inefficient, and woefully less than >>adequate weaponary guns are so often ignored. Now we get Wesley. First it was >>the shotgun in his closet, now he's carrying around a pair of 9's and a pump >>action shotgun....... This simple fact alone tells us that Wes' IQ is >>somewhere around twice that of every other character on the show. Uuh, if guns don't kill vamps or demons, exactly why is it smart that Wesley shot at the demon? While it did look cool, the bullets BOUNCED of his chest, for pete's sake. While Wes may be book smart, he's always been lacking in street smarts and common sense. [He has improved since his Buffy days but he's still the first one to be conned a la Holtz] One of the definitions of insanity is to keep repeating the same activity and expecting a different result. So, isn't Wesley insane to keep shooting at something when bullets have no affect on it? > > Let's not forget about his gun-toting in Expecting! Very odd, the only gun guy > on the show is a Brit. Plsu he has the stake launcher and the sword thing. I > love that. The fold-out sword was way cool! ;-) >

2002-11-18 16:38:56+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Toodles <Diva2525@pacbell.net> wrote: >Mathew R. Ignash wrote: >Wesley shot at the demon? While it did look cool, the bullets BOUNCED >of his chest, for pete's sake. While Wes may be book smart, he's always >been lacking in street smarts and common sense. [He has improved since >his Buffy days but he's still the first one to be conned a la Holtz] One >of the definitions of insanity is to keep repeating the same activity >and expecting a different result. So, isn't Wesley insane to keep >shooting at something when bullets have no affect on it? Then wouldn't Gunn and Angel be complete friggin' morons compared to Wesley? Angel attacked it with a sword and got absolutely nowhere. Gunn then attacked it with a sword. Angel later attacked it with his fists. Neither of them did bugger-all damage to the thing. Wesley tried the traditional medieval weapons method, and when that didn't work he pulled out his guns. He emptied the clips into the thing, and it barely seemed to scratch him. So he pulled out a bigger gun, which actually staggered the thing and made it fall to its knees. Whether that was pure act on its part or whether the guns actually had a limited effect we don't know, but the shotgun at least had a lot more effect on it than anything Angel or Gunn tried. Pete

2002-11-18 17:16:08+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

Phill said >he was the only one on the >rooftop carrying a weapon that couldn't kill a vampire. A well placed shotgun blast can effectively sever a head with ease. The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- anime moderator at: http://www.digital-psyche.com/vb handle is Dai-Tenchi -------------

2002-11-18 17:55:25+00:00 - Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all, and my head went pop [spoilers] - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Chris <broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam> wrote: >Phill said >>he was the only one on the >>rooftop carrying a weapon that couldn't kill a vampire. >A well placed shotgun blast can effectively sever a head with ease. And handguns aren't exactly useless against vampires, either. And it's not like vampires are the only things Wesley fights. Pete

2003-01-04 12:56:10-08:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Ken wrote: > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > news:3E165085.663BCCA4@rcn.com... > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > > > > > > > The problem is that old crossbows fire their bolt at far less velocity > > > > than modern crossbow. Old crossbows fire at about 135 feet per second, > > > > some modern crossbows fire at over 300 feet per second. Using a > > > > conventional bow rated at about 300 fps I have imbedded arrows deep > into > > > > a Douglas Fir Tree after they passed through a bale of hay. You > couldn't > > > > do that with the crossbow Buffy uses. > > > > > > Well, I'm sure she would care if she were Buffy The TREE Slayer. >=^> > > > > > Or up against a demon that has the density of a tree. There's also the > > speed of the bolt. The Master was able to catch the bolts from her > > little crossbow in midair. Maybe he could have caught a faster bolt too, > > but we don't know that. > > > > Density doesn't seem to be the problem with Ubie. Buffy's stake went in > > quite easily. The problem is that his heart isn't in the right place. If > > Buffy armed the SiTs with cross bows, or conventional compound bows they > > could experiment a bit from some distance. Certainly one would find the > > heart. I think we can rule out the extremities, so that heart has to be > > somewhere in the torso. > > Never Assume when it comes to body organ placement with demons. > > -- Ken from Chicago It wouldn't make sense for it's heart to be in an extremity because the heart it is a pump, and the laws of gravity even apply to Ubie.

2003-01-04 15:44:24-08:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Ken wrote: > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > news:3E174A6A.3BDB9F78@rcn.com... > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > news:3E165085.663BCCA4@rcn.com... > > > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The problem is that old crossbows fire their bolt at far less velocity > > > > > > than modern crossbow. Old crossbows fire at about 135 feet per second, > > > > > > some modern crossbows fire at over 300 feet per second. Using a > > > > > > conventional bow rated at about 300 fps I have imbedded arrows deep into > > > > > > a Douglas Fir Tree after they passed through a bale of hay. You couldn't > > > > > > do that with the crossbow Buffy uses. > > > > > > > > > > Well, I'm sure she would care if she were Buffy The TREE Slayer. > > > > > > > > > Or up against a demon that has the density of a tree. There's also the > > > > speed of the bolt. The Master was able to catch the bolts from her > > > > little crossbow in midair. Maybe he could have caught a faster bolt too, > > > > but we don't know that. > > > > > > > > Density doesn't seem to be the problem with Ubie. Buffy's stake went in > > > > quite easily. The problem is that his heart isn't in the right place. If > > > > Buffy armed the SiTs with cross bows, or conventional compound bows they > > > > could experiment a bit from some distance. Certainly one would find the > > > > heart. I think we can rule out the extremities, so that heart has to be > > > > somewhere in the torso. > > > > > > Never Assume when it comes to body organ placement with demons. > > > > > > -- Ken from Chicago > > > > It wouldn't make sense for it's heart to be in an extremity because the > > heart it is a pump, and the laws of gravity even apply to Ubie. > > What exactly do you think a NONBEATING heart does in an UNDEAD vampire that > requires its heart to be placed in ANY particular location? > > -- Ken from Chicago Since Ubie is a completely different species, and not just a reanimated corpse, there's no reason to believe that his heart doesn't beat. If Ubie is the reanimated corpse of some other hideously ugly creature, then it's not likely that creature had it's heart in it's foot.

2003-01-04 23:10:03+00:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

2003-01-04 23:53:33+00:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows - (Scott Chambers <scott@scottchambers.net>)

It may well be that staking the Ubervamps heart simply doesn't work. I can remember an episode of Forever Knight where Nicholas staked Lacroix but it didn't kill him. Lacroix showed up in the end and said something like "I am far too ancient for that to work". Perhaps the same thing applies to Ubie... Scott www.scottchambers.net "Ken" <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:fRJR9.5238$qU5.4170714@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com... > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > news:3E174A6A.3BDB9F78@rcn.com... > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > news:3E165085.663BCCA4@rcn.com... > > > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The problem is that old crossbows fire their bolt at far less > velocity > > > > > > than modern crossbow. Old crossbows fire at about 135 feet per > second, > > > > > > some modern crossbows fire at over 300 feet per second. Using a > > > > > > conventional bow rated at about 300 fps I have imbedded arrows > deep > > > into > > > > > > a Douglas Fir Tree after they passed through a bale of hay. You > > > couldn't > > > > > > do that with the crossbow Buffy uses. > > > > > > > > > > Well, I'm sure she would care if she were Buffy The TREE Slayer. > >=^> > > > > > > > > > Or up against a demon that has the density of a tree. There's also the > > > > speed of the bolt. The Master was able to catch the bolts from her > > > > little crossbow in midair. Maybe he could have caught a faster bolt > too, > > > > but we don't know that. > > > > > > > > Density doesn't seem to be the problem with Ubie. Buffy's stake went > in > > > > quite easily. The problem is that his heart isn't in the right place. > If > > > > Buffy armed the SiTs with cross bows, or conventional compound bows > they > > > > could experiment a bit from some distance. Certainly one would find > the > > > > heart. I think we can rule out the extremities, so that heart has to > be > > > > somewhere in the torso. > > > > > > Never Assume when it comes to body organ placement with demons. > > > > > > -- Ken from Chicago > > > > It wouldn't make sense for it's heart to be in an extremity because the > > heart it is a pump, and the laws of gravity even apply to Ubie. > > What exactly do you think a NONBEATING heart does in an UNDEAD vampire that > requires its heart to be placed in ANY particular location? > > -- Kenfrom Chicago > >

2003-01-07 11:19:30+00:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows - (Stephanie Crawford <stephanie@crawford.emu.id.au>)

who is ubie??? "Scott Chambers" <scott@scottchambers.net> wrote in message news:1uKR9.1983$NK5.1712@nwrddc03.gnilink.net... > It may well be that staking the Ubervamps heart simply doesn't work. I can > remember an episode of Forever Knight where Nicholas staked Lacroix but it > didn't kill him. Lacroix showed up in the end and said something like "I am > far too ancient for that to work". Perhaps the same thing applies to > Ubie... > > Scott > www.scottchambers.net > > "Ken" <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net> wrote in message > news:fRJR9.5238$qU5.4170714@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com... > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > news:3E174A6A.3BDB9F78@rcn.com... > > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > news:3E165085.663BCCA4@rcn.com... > > > > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The problem is that old crossbows fire their bolt at far less > > velocity > > > > > > > than modern crossbow. Old crossbows fire at about 135 feet per > > second, > > > > > > > some modern crossbows fire at over 300 feet per second. Using a > > > > > > > conventional bow rated at about 300 fps I have imbedded arrows > > deep > > > > into > > > > > > > a Douglas Fir Tree after they passed through a bale of hay. You > > > > couldn't > > > > > > > do that with the crossbow Buffy uses. > > > > > > > > > > > > Well, I'm sure she would care if she were Buffy The TREE Slayer. > > >=^> > > > > > > > > > > > Or up against a demon that has the density of a tree. There's also > the > > > > > speed of the bolt. The Master was able to catch the bolts from her > > > > > little crossbow in midair. Maybe he could have caught a faster bolt > > too, > > > > > but we don't know that. > > > > > > > > > > Density doesn't seem to be the problem with Ubie. Buffy's stake went > > in > > > > > quite easily. The problem is that his heart isn't in the right > place. > > If > > > > > Buffy armed the SiTs with cross bows, or conventional compound bows > > they > > > > > could experiment a bit from some distance. Certainly one would find > > the > > > > > heart. I think we can rule out the extremities, so that heart has to > > be > > > > > somewhere in the torso. > > > > > > > > Never Assume when it comes to body organ placement with demons. > > > > > > > > -- Ken from Chicago > > > > > > It wouldn't make sense for it's heart to be in an extremity because the > > > heart it is a pump, and the laws of gravity even apply to Ubie. > > > > What exactly do you think a NONBEATING heart does in an UNDEAD vampire > that > > requires its heart to be placed in ANY particular location? > > > > -- Kenfrom Chicago > > > > > >

2003-01-07 12:20:30+00:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Stephanie Crawford" <stephanie@crawford.emu.id.au> wrote in message news:6JyS9.10825$oS1.47476@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > who is ubie??? > > "Scott Chambers" <scott@scottchambers.net> wrote in message > news:1uKR9.1983$NK5.1712@nwrddc03.gnilink.net... > > It may well be that staking the Ubervamps heart simply doesn't work. I > can > > remember an episode of Forever Knight where Nicholas staked Lacroix but it > > didn't kill him. Lacroix showed up in the end and said something like "I > am > > far too ancient for that to work". Perhaps the same thing applies to > > Ubie... > > > > Scott > > www.scottchambers.net > > > > "Ken" <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net> wrote in message > > news:fRJR9.5238$qU5.4170714@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com... > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > news:3E174A6A.3BDB9F78@rcn.com... > > > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > > news:3E165085.663BCCA4@rcn.com... > > > > > > Ken wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The problem is that old crossbows fire their bolt at far less > > > velocity > > > > > > > > than modern crossbow. Old crossbows fire at about 135 feet per > > > second, > > > > > > > > some modern crossbows fire at over 300 feet per second. Using > a > > > > > > > > conventional bow rated at about 300 fps I have imbedded arrows > > > deep > > > > > into > > > > > > > > a Douglas Fir Tree after they passed through a bale of hay. > You > > > > > couldn't > > > > > > > > do that with the crossbow Buffy uses. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Well, I'm sure she would care if she were Buffy The TREE Slayer. > > > >=^> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Or up against a demon that has the density of a tree. There's also > > the > > > > > > speed of the bolt. The Master was able to catch the bolts from her > > > > > > little crossbow in midair. Maybe he could have caught a faster > bolt > > > too, > > > > > > but we don't know that. > > > > > > > > > > > > Density doesn't seem to be the problem with Ubie. Buffy's stake > went > > > in > > > > > > quite easily. The problem is that his heart isn't in the right > > place. > > > If > > > > > > Buffy armed the SiTs with cross bows, or conventional compound > bows > > > they > > > > > > could experiment a bit from some distance. Certainly one would > find > > > the > > > > > > heart. I think we can rule out the extremities, so that heart has > to > > > be > > > > > > somewhere in the torso. > > > > > > > > > > Never Assume when it comes to body organ placement with demons. > > > > > > > > > > -- Ken from Chicago > > > > > > > > It wouldn't make sense for it's heart to be in an extremity because > the > > > > heart it is a pump, and the laws of gravity even apply to Ubie. > > > > > > What exactly do you think a NONBEATING heart does in an UNDEAD vampire > > that > > > requires its heart to be placed in ANY particular location? Ubie = ubervampire, a new vampire that recently appeared on BTVS whose been causing Buffy a ... wee ... bit of trouble. -- Kenfrom Chicago

2003-01-09 20:31:41-05:00 - Re: Slayer Crossbows (was Re: Wesley is the smartest of them all) - (David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com>)

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 05:46:47 -0500, Ken wrote: > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > news:3E165085.663BCCA4@rcn.com... >> Ken wrote: >> > >> > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message >> >> >> > > The problem is that old crossbows fire their bolt at far less >> > > velocity than modern crossbow. Old crossbows fire at about 135 feet >> > > per second, some modern crossbows fire at over 300 feet per second. >> > > Using a conventional bow rated at about 300 fps I have imbedded >> > > arrows deep > into >> > > a Douglas Fir Tree after they passed through a bale of hay. You > couldn't >> > > do that with the crossbow Buffy uses. >> > >> > Well, I'm sure she would care if she were Buffy The TREE Slayer. >=^> >> > >> Or up against a demon that has the density of a tree. There's also the >> speed of the bolt. The Master was able to catch the bolts from her >> little crossbow in midair. Maybe he could have caught a faster bolt >> too, but we don't know that. >> >> Density doesn't seem to be the problem with Ubie. Buffy's stake went in >> quite easily. The problem is that his heart isn't in the right place. >> If Buffy armed the SiTs with cross bows, or conventional compound bows >> they could experiment a bit from some distance. Certainly one would >> find the heart. I think we can rule out the extremities, so that heart >> has to be somewhere in the torso. > > Never Assume when it comes to body organ placement with demons. That's an odd place for a horn. -- David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com> NOYFB, P