FLM films - My Webpage

2004-02-04 10:49:34+00:00 - Hi all - (Greg Coulter <greg.coulter@seh.ox.ac.uk>)

Think it's probably time to introduce myself, since I've submitted a couple of posts and intend to stick around. I've been lurking here now for God knows how many months. Here's some info about me: - My name is Greg, I'm 20, English, and I study modern languages at the University of Oxford. Now Buffy-related: - Hmm, where to start. Adore both shows. Dislike movie. Reckon I know more'n most about the shows (hope I do, anyway), have all 243 (soon: 244) episodes on DVD or my PC. I keep updated through the wonder of broadband (which may be naughty, but hey, I've been doing it for years and have always upgraded to DVD when it's become available). Both my college tutors, by coincidence, *love* to look at BtVS/AtS academically and go wild when I mention it in essays on French or German lit. One tutor has a photo of himself with ASH and JM from a recent London convention! I have far too many favourite characters to mention (OK, just one... Tara. And Anya.) and likewise loads of beloved episodes. Now current-Angel-related: - Mixed feelings about the new season. Didn't like how season 4 ended up developing, so nice to be free of that. But they've trampled all over poor Cordy (and Charisma) - like most folks, I'm not happy with her treatment, plotwise. However, if it's done absolutely completely perfectly, I might be content with tonight's closure. Also, not enjoying Fred or Gunn this season. Lorne's always funny, as is Harmony (I like her addition but wonder what the heck they can do with her long-term), but I so want to find them amusing that most times I'm just disappointed (except 'Life of the Party', that was a laugh-riot). Still, on the whole, I'm enjoying season 5 immensely. Jeez Louise, that was longer than I expected. Apologies! Greg.

2004-02-04 11:42:43-08:00 - Re: Hi all - (himiko@animail.net)

"Greg Coulter" <greg.coulter@seh.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<274Ub.414$e83.317@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net>... > Think it's probably time to introduce myself, since I've submitted a couple > of posts and intend to stick around. Hi Greg. I look forward to seeing your posts. > Both my college tutors, by coincidence, > *love* to look at BtVS/AtS academically and go wild when I mention it in > essays on French or German lit. > Not so coincidental. Academics love the Buffyverse with its wild metaphors, allusions, and twists. Several of my colleagues (yeah, I'm also an academic) actually bought their first TVs because of BTVS. > - Mixed feelings about the new season. Didn't like how season 4 ended up > developing, so nice to be free of that. Why not? I liked it because it was such a kick in the pants to the whole Buffyverse PTB mythos. Was it just the Cordy aspect? Or something more? > But they've trampled all over poor > Cordy (and Charisma) - like most folks, I'm not happy with her treatment, > plotwise. However, if it's done absolutely completely perfectly, I might be > content with tonight's closure. Let us know. > Also, not enjoying Fred or Gunn this season. Again, why? You can tell I'm an academic, can't you? ;) I'm liking Gunn very much. He's such a wonderful example of the results of education, and the real cost of upward mobility for ethnic minorities. I don't see his evolving "knowledge" as a deus ex machina at all, but as an example of the fact that "knowledge" isn't a passive thing. So far, he has demonstrated nothing that wouldn't have been included as part of a legal education: elocution, languages, and even golf are all part of a lawyerly lifestyle. Trouble is, they're not value free. The Gilbert and Sullivan elocution is a eurocentric liberal arts effect that preferences a certain type of (white) speech; the price of upward mobility is that Gunn must sound, dress, and look as white as possible. The demon languages undoubtedly include a more visceral understanding of demon ways and values; all languages do this. As for the golf, that really is where many legal decisions get hashed out, and Fred is quite right that it's not what the founding fathers had in mind. I wish they'd do more with Fred. She's clearly foundering. Attracted by the lab which fulfills her love of science for its own sake, but not quite dumb or blinkered enough to put all ethical considerations aside. > Lorne's always funny, as is Harmony (I like her addition but wonder what the > heck they can do with her long-term), but I so want to find them amusing > that most times I'm just disappointed (except 'Life of the Party', that was > a laugh-riot). Still, on the whole, I'm enjoying season 5 immensely. I wish they'd do more with Lorne and Harmony, actually. And more serious stuff. These are two demons and could be used to explore what it means to be a demon and a NEET more fully. They did a little of this with HW; the look on Angel's face as he realized Harmony (Harmony, for god's sake!) is doing better without a soul than he did at first with one was priceless. himiko

2004-02-05 21:15:15+00:00 - Re: Hi all - (thearchvile@aol.comdiespam)

In article <c7902983.0402041142.7f158299@posting.google.com>, himiko@animail.net (himiko) writes: >Academics love the Buffyverse with its wild >metaphors, allusions, and twists. Several of my colleagues (yeah, I'm >also an academic) actually bought their first TVs because of BTVS. "Hey, guys! Giles has a TV. He's shallow ...like us." -- Xander in "Harsh Light of Day"