FLM films - My Webpage

2003-04-17 14:31:52-07:00 - The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (reldevik@usa.net)

My family have never been much interested in AtS. They would sometimes sit down and watch with me just to humor me, but they didn't really care if they missed an episode. It's different now, though. They are riveted by the Jasmine storyline. They're eager for each new episode, and they're watching and analyzing as carefully as I do. My husband in particular is finding all sorts of social commentary and political statements in this storyline: in the unquestioning worshipers of Jasmine, he sees numerous implications about what's going on in the real world. Everyone in my family, including me, thinks this storyline is brilliant and fascinating. I've liked AtS a lot since mid-season two, but the others are just coming around to loving AtS now. And it took the Jasmine storyline to do it for them. I've heard ratings for AtS are up now, so maybe there are quite a few casual viewers who are being really drawn in by this story in the same way as my family is. I know some long-time AtS fans who dislike the current storyline, but maybe the newly-interested viewers will make up for the loss of anyone who is actually turning off his TV set in disgust. By the way, we are all church members and we don't think the storyline (or the Caleb story on BtVS either) is making a general condemnation of religion. We see it as a condemnation of fanatical craziness -- e.g., Jonestown and the like. Clairel

2003-04-17 19:01:15-04:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@oracle.com>)

Clairel wrote: > They are riveted by the Jasmine storyline. If they start smiling all the time, run.

2003-04-17 20:27:05-05:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (That T Woman <nospamatAll@nts-online.net>)

"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message news:1faed770.0304171331.385fabbb@posting.google.com... > My family have never been much interested in AtS. They would > sometimes sit down and watch with me just to humor me, but they didn't > really care if they missed an episode. It's different now, though. > They are riveted by the Jasmine storyline. They're eager for each new > episode, and they're watching and analyzing as carefully as I do. My > husband in particular is finding all sorts of social commentary and > political statements in this storyline: in the unquestioning > worshipers of Jasmine, he sees numerous implications about what's > going on in the real world. Everyone in my family, including me, > thinks this storyline is brilliant and fascinating. I've liked AtS a > lot since mid-season two, but the others are just coming around to > loving AtS now. And it took the Jasmine storyline to do it for them. > > I've heard ratings for AtS are up now, so maybe there are quite a few > casual viewers who are being really drawn in by this story in the same > way as my family is. I know some long-time AtS fans who dislike the > current storyline, but maybe the newly-interested viewers will make up > for the loss of anyone who is actually turning off his TV set in > disgust. > > By the way, we are all church members and we don't think the storyline > (or the Caleb story on BtVS either) is making a general condemnation > of religion. We see it as a condemnation of fanatical craziness -- > e.g., Jonestown and the like. > > Clairel Another factor that is probably drawing in new viewers is the upcoming crossover with Buffy. I have always followed Buffy but never really cared for Angel. (It didn't help that our cable system didn't have a WB station for most of Angel's first and second season.) But now, I've watched the last three episodes of Angel and have really enjoyed it. The Jasmine storyline is better than what I've usually seen when I've tried to watch Angel before.

2003-04-18 13:43:44-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (reldevik@usa.net)

Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@oracle.com> wrote in message news:<3E9F323B.68E8A1B7@oracle.com>... > Clairel wrote: > > > They are riveted by the Jasmine storyline. > > If they start smiling all the time, run. --Haha. Very funny. Seriously, though, I did say they were thinking and analyzing.... Clairel

2003-04-18 15:58:58-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu>)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:41:20 GMT, Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com> wrote: >reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: > >> My family have never been much interested in AtS. > >Out of curiosity, what is "AtS"? Angel the Series. It started being referred to as that before it even aired, because of Angel the Character and Angel the Buffy Episode. Same kind of referencing occurs occasionally to distinguish Buffy the Show from Buffy the Character. Fortunately there hasn't been an episode named Buffy. -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2003-04-18 22:41:20+00:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com>)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: > My family have never been much interested in AtS. Out of curiosity, what is "AtS"? -- http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

2003-04-19 14:36:43+00:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message news:1faed770.0304181243.3a413a25@posting.google.com... > Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@oracle.com> wrote in message news:<3E9F323B.68E8A1B7@oracle.com>... > > Clairel wrote: > > > > > They are riveted by the Jasmine storyline. > > > > If they start smiling all the time, run. > > --Haha. Very funny. > > Seriously, though, I did say they were thinking and analyzing.... > > Clairel When they were "thinking" and "analyzing", did they have a real glazed-over look? -- Ken from Chicago

2003-04-22 14:41:24-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (reldevik@usa.net)

Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.190a1fc3ea3bfa2998aa37@news.earthlink.net>... > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: > > > My family have never been much interested in AtS. > > Out of curiosity, what is "AtS"? --So, Larry, since you're obviously new here, are you one of those people taking a big interest for the first time because of the Jasmine storyline? (I would answer your question except that I see it's already been answered.) Clairel

2003-04-23 02:05:53+00:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (Tazzy <tazzy_canada>)

Clairel wrote: : Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message : news:<MPG.190a1fc3ea3bfa2998aa37@news.earthlink.net>... :: reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: :: ::: My family have never been much interested in AtS. :: :: Out of curiosity, what is "AtS"? : : --So, Larry, since you're obviously new here, are you one : of those : people taking a big interest for the first time because : of the Jasmine : storyline? : : (I would answer your question except that I see it's : already been : answered.) : : Clairel For me its "Jasmine, making a casual viewer out of a real fan" So sick of this storyline already :( -- ~~~~~~~~ Tazzy :)

2003-04-23 13:12:18+00:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com>)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: > Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.190a1fc3ea3bfa2998aa37@news.earthlink.net>... > > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: > > > > > My family have never been much interested in AtS. > > > > Out of curiosity, what is "AtS"? > > --So, Larry, since you're obviously new here, are you one of those > people taking a big interest for the first time because of the Jasmine > storyline? > > (I would answer your question except that I see it's already been > answered.) No, I'm not new here, I just don't live on Usenet. I make no attempt to read all the articles, and sometimes don't read any for days or even weeks at a time. The AtS abbreviation is apparently fairly recent. From context, the meaning was obvious, and I finally got around to asking what words it represented. -- http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

2003-04-23 16:02:23-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (reldevik@usa.net)

"Tazzy" <tazzy_canada<nospam>@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<5ympa.102784$BQi.102360@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... > Clairel wrote: > : Larry Caldwell <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message > : news:<MPG.190a1fc3ea3bfa2998aa37@news.earthlink.net>... > :: reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) writes: > :: > ::: My family have never been much interested in AtS. > :: > :: Out of curiosity, what is "AtS"? > : > : --So, Larry, since you're obviously new here, are you one > : of those > : people taking a big interest for the first time because > : of the Jasmine > : storyline? > : > : (I would answer your question except that I see it's > : already been > : answered.) > : > : Clairel > > For me its "Jasmine, making a casual viewer out of a real > fan" So sick of this storyline already :( --Okay; care to elaborate on why? I'm interested. You see, I almost always disagree with the www.televisionwithoutpity.com recappers (Ace, Sep, Strega, those guys), but I was surprised to find that they were praising "The Magic Bullet" for the very same things I loved about it. That's such a rare occurrence that I thought maybe, just maybe, the Jasmine storyline might be one of those things that there's a really broad consensus about -- people who normally are at odds all loving it. But not all, I guess. Which is fine, of course, but I'm still interested in why. Clairel

2003-04-23 20:45:54-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (nardo218@yahoo.com)

s p o i l e r s reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0304231502.5531559e@posting.google.com>... > > For me its "Jasmine, making a casual viewer out of a real > > fan" So sick of this storyline already :( > > --Okay; care to elaborate on why? I'm interested. Well, it is dragging along realllly slowly. In general, everything's happening SO slowly since the angelus incident. I don't like the way they're structuring things. They're doing it on Buffy, too. Instead of a bunch of standalones, which have conflict, rising action, climax and resolution, this season on both shows has been all one big, LONG plot, with no resolution for WEEKS. It's frustrating, and ultimatly gets boring because by the end of act 2 you know nothing important is really going to happen. Aura

2003-04-23 23:54:03-04:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On 23 Apr 2003 20:45:54 -0700, nardo218@yahoo.com (Ice Queen) wrote: >s >p >o >i >l >e >r >s >reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0304231502.5531559e@posting.google.com>... >> > For me its "Jasmine, making a casual viewer out of a real >> > fan" So sick of this storyline already :( >> >> --Okay; care to elaborate on why? I'm interested. > >Well, it is dragging along realllly slowly. In general, everything's >happening SO slowly since the angelus incident. I don't like the way >they're structuring things. They're doing it on Buffy, too. Instead of >a bunch of standalones, which have conflict, rising action, climax and >resolution, this season on both shows has been all one big, LONG plot, >with no resolution for WEEKS. It's frustrating, and ultimatly gets >boring because by the end of act 2 you know nothing important is >really going to happen. That's exactly how I feel. I've said for a long time that the increased serialization of the shows has hurt them. I'm basically just bored and watching out of habit. After devoting so many hours to watching all this I want to see a resolution but by the time they lurch to the finale, It almost won't matter how good it is. Nothing against those who like continuing soap operas but I don't usually like them. This season of both Buffy and Angel, I chalk up to another season that will likely play better in syndication if you can watch the whole thing in a couple of weeks on FX. Or maybe on a dvd. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-04-24 20:20:40-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (nardo218@yahoo.com)

EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<5ineav4mvtat567pvl6214gf71apqqgnsu@4ax.com>... > >s > >p > >o > >i > >l > >e > >r > >s > That's exactly how I feel. I've said for a long time that the increased > serialization of the shows has hurt them. Totally agree. I was just thinking about how back in the high school years of Buffy, you didn't need five friggin minutes of "last time on buffy." (Imo, they don't need a full 5 minutes now, but that's another discussion.) Plot archs are good, but that doesn't mean that you can have ONE plot a season! > I'm basically just bored and > watching out of habit. After devoting so many hours to watching all this I > want to see a resolution but by the time they lurch to the finale, It almost > won't matter how good it is. <g> That's how I felt about x files. I'm invested in these characters, and watching mostly out of curiosity now. And I'm still holding out that hope that another Passion will show up next week. Hell, I'd be satisfied with a nice, well-rounded Ted at this point. > Nothing against those who like continuing soap operas but I don't usually > like them. Continuing soaps CAN be good, but they aren't Buffy/Angel. The show wasn't designed for that. So the eps feel conflicted: not wholly standalone and not wholly soapy. > This season of both Buffy and Angel, I chalk up to another > season that will likely play better in syndication if you can watch the > whole thing in a couple of weeks on FX. Lol. I adore S5, but I think it's only because I never saw it in original broadcast. Aura

2003-04-24 23:40:51-04:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On 24 Apr 2003 20:20:40 -0700, nardo218@yahoo.com (Ice Queen) wrote: >EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<5ineav4mvtat567pvl6214gf71apqqgnsu@4ax.com>... >> This season of both Buffy and Angel, I chalk up to another >> season that will likely play better in syndication if you can watch the >> whole thing in a couple of weeks on FX. > >Lol. I adore S5, but I think it's only because I never saw it in >original broadcast. > >Aura You're lucky you saw it the way you did. I'm kind of envious of those who might get to watch the whole series for the first time on DVDs. I wasn't as fond of either season 4 or 5 of Buffy when they originally aired but had to admit watching them again in only a little over two weeks time on fx, both played much better. That's when I realized that it was the extreme serialization that was really hurting the show for me. I fully understand they only have 22 episodes to spread out over the whole year but the way the show is structured it just kills any momentum. My current favorite show is FX's The Shield. It's only had two 13 episode seasons and there will be a long wait for another but they showed both seasons in 13 straight weeks without reruns. I loved it. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-05-02 09:16:13-07:00 - Re: The Jasmine storyline: making real fans out of casual viewers - (nardo218@yahoo.com)

EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<d5bhavgob4n4fpgkpncedbhcmt8uaqptuh@4ax.com>... > You're lucky you saw it the way you did. I'm kind of envious of those who > might get to watch the whole series for the first time on DVDs. > I wasn't as fond of either season 4 or 5 of Buffy when they originally aired > but had to admit watching them again in only a little over two weeks time on > fx, both played much better. Meh. Watching it in syndication may make it move quicker, but you loose some of the thrall. A series is meant to be shown over 9 months, so you can savor each episode. Watching it in 2 months is like gorging. Aura