FLM films - My Webpage

2003-05-03 19:34:10+00:00 - OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. THIS MOVIE RULES! I haven't had a movie going experience so enjoyable in the last..... well, a damn long while (sorry, LotR is great and all, but X-Men always has and always will mean more to me). You must see this movie. Heh, also I'm sitting here watching the DVD of the first Xmen movie which I didn't own untill a few hours ago. X2 was so damn good I felt compelled to get my hands on some more mutant action on my way home (didn't actually have the Xmen DVD untill just now)..... damn I feel good ^_____^ Spoiler ahoy! ++++++(I warned you) I was glad to see Wolverine in serious "fuck you up" mode. When the commandos invade the Xavier mansion he is NOT nice to them, not in the least. I particularly liked the classic close-up shot where our hero has a knife to his throat..... naturally Wolverine unleashes his 6 "knives" and perferates this guy like a pin-cushion. Sticking with the invasion of the Xavier mansion, I loved the use of Kitty Pride and Colossus. Colossus in particular impressed me; the big guy just walked into a room with two commandos firing tranq darts left and right, they turn and fire, naturally darts bounce off his steely exterior. We then are treated to a hall view shortly followed by two commandos being tossed through a wall. Colossus kicks ass.

2003-05-03 20:59:12+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

O_O Excuse me if I don't agree with you on that call. Less character developement? Considering that the first had the daunting task of establishing characters for some people who may not know the universe all that well, yeah, of course there was less, but what there was was great. Oh well. To each his own I guess. The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- Visit the Digital Psyche Anime Article Library (DPAAL) http://www.digital-psyche.com/library/index.html -------------

2003-05-03 21:21:44+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (liv <liv@ziplink.net>)

On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:48:32 -0400, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: >On 03 May 2003 19:34:10 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) >wrote: > >>To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. >> >>THIS MOVIE RULES! > > >The first movie was better, X2 has bigger special effects, but less >story, character development and depth. ------ Actually, I think the second movie is much better, the characters are really coming into themselves. This seems to be a comic fan attitude, though:-) The regular reviews don't seem to like it as much. liv liv@garbage.ziplink.net take out the garbage to reply... If you can't beat your computer at chess try kickboxing.

2003-05-04 01:25:15+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

good point about the bullet stopping at the skull. I completely forgot about that. It was nice to see the bullet get "shoved" out and drop to the floor. As for someone's comments on the story being unfocused....... I felt the story was perfectly focused, thing is it's hard to focuse when your cast of important characters is (or characters that fans feel are important) so huge. Hell there are fan favorites that only got cameos in this movie (Dr. MacCoy "Beast" and Gambit- can't remember his actual name clearly but it was about Eric Lencher's when mystique was poking through the files). Also...... the women were hardly reduced to "eye candy" what the hell gave you that idea anyways, sheesh. Their powers are very much so a part of who they are, and what happened with Jean Grey- her "tricks"- is the beginning of a very large story- they didn't ahve her bust the damn just for fun, same with stopping the tide. Though seriously, Iceman should've just frozen a massive wall around the blackbird, he could've done it. Anywho. Blah The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- Visit the Digital Psyche Anime Article Library (DPAAL) http://www.digital-psyche.com/library/index.html -------------

2003-05-04 02:20:48+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Rob Myers <robm@robmyers.removethisspamblocker.net>)

In article <v578bvk86i32hclm1uh61t2rksed9hpi1s@4ax.com>, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > On 03 May 2003 19:34:10 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) > wrote: > > >To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. > > > >THIS MOVIE RULES! > > > The first movie was better, X2 has bigger special effects, but less > story, character development and depth. The first one had more "down time" but this one had about the perfect balance of angst, characterization, social issues, and big fuckin' fights! There were a lot of characters, but you got to know all of them. Only the real background characters (Collosus, Kitty Pryde, the other mutant kids) were undeveloped. I was *so* pleased that Wolverine and Magneto and Mystique didn't pull any punches. Christ, how many people did Wolverine kill in this? And he did it with nary a hesitation, just like he's supposed to. And Magneto's "anti-redemption" when he got hold of Stryker's installation. I mean, I had been feeling kind of sorry for him up until then. But once the threat to mutant-kind was gone we were reminded, "Oh yeah. This guy is no different than Stryker." Awesome. And Mystique is now my second favorite character of the films, right behind Wolverine. I was expecting Mystique to get some kind of surprise beat-down at the hands of Deathstrike (my least-favorite character), but no. Mystique just made all of Stryker's team look like idiots. My only real problems with the film are things that are not the faults of the filmmakers. Deathstrike is an idiotic character, IMO. Wow, an asian "dragon lady" with long killer fingernails, how creative. Poor Kelly Hu. And there's the fact that while I want to see the good parts of these stories on the big screen exactly like this, there's also a bit of letdown knowing the overall outcomes. Barring an apocalypse, we all know that X3 is going to introduce Phoenix, and possibly Dark Phoenix. What made the original saga so gripping is that they were going someplace with the story that we never thought they'd go in a superhero comic. Every tragedy and twist was gripping when I first read it, because, well ... I knew there was no way they were going to make Jean really Evil. ... Well, maybe they did, but there was no way they'd let her get killed. Er... Anyhow, that's what made "Death of Phoenix" so jaw-dropping. Well, that, and the fact I hadn't seen "Carrie." -- rob m at rob myers dot net

2003-05-04 02:22:40+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Rob Myers <robm@robmyers.removethisspamblocker.net>)

In article <uif8bvgmqvfio55c7pnidkcfd8qhbg7tla@4ax.com>, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > I found the ending of X2 to be overwrought, the female characters were > reduced to eyecandy and there was way too much emphasis on cool mutant > tricks. Yeah, Jean really didn't have anything to do in the finale ... No characterization, or insight into her hidden fears and love for her friends there. -- rob m at rob myers dot net

2003-05-04 02:28:29+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Rob Myers <robm@robmyers.removethisspamblocker.net>)

In article <q3o8bvk187g8lpg625mjsta8bc4bvp7a5b@4ax.com>, Nopel <nopel@gmx.net> wrote: > On 03 May 2003 19:34:10 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote: > > >To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. > > > >THIS MOVIE RULES! > > Agreed. I very much liked this one as well. > > One small comment on a spoiler further down: > > > > . > > > > > . > > > > > > . > > > > > . > > >Spoiler ahoy! > > [snip] > > after Wolverine gets shot in the head and the > >kids think he's dead- yes, you heard me, Wolverine can survive a gun shot to > >the head- > > It looked to me like the bullet didn't even penetrate his skull, which would > be consistent with his having an adamantium skeleton. When his skin started > to heal, it just pushed the bullet out as well. I think that Wolverine *might* be able to survive a bullet *through* the brain: in one side, out the other. But a shot through the eyeball into his skull would result in an ugly mash in there instead of a brain, what with the bullet ricocheting around. Although, it's possible something like that would just result in a comatose "brain death." Normal people "survive" massive headwounds all the time, though they are rendered vegetables. But I think that if his autonomous functions could be kept going, he'd regrow a new blank-slate brain. He'd have "died" in effect though. -- rob m at rob myers dot net

2003-05-04 02:35:11+00:00 - Re: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (TMA <starfire75_50501@hotmail.com>)

I saw it as well and enjoyed it completely. I almost think that this is a little more fun for a X-Men fan than the first one was. I never read the comic books but have seen every single cartoon and I got a lot of what my friend who went with me who didn't know didly about the X-Men universe didn't. At the end she didn't understand the figure in the water. I tried to explain it to her but she just shrugged me off. I enjoyed it more than the first as well. Five stars!

2003-05-04 02:40:41+02:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Nopel <nopel@gmx.net>)

On 03 May 2003 19:34:10 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote: >To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. > >THIS MOVIE RULES! Agreed. I very much liked this one as well. One small comment on a spoiler further down: . . . . >Spoiler ahoy! [snip] > after Wolverine gets shot in the head and the >kids think he's dead- yes, you heard me, Wolverine can survive a gun shot to >the head- It looked to me like the bullet didn't even penetrate his skull, which would be consistent with his having an adamantium skeleton. When his skin started to heal, it just pushed the bullet out as well. I don't think he could actually heal massive brain damage. If he had been shot through his eye socket, perhaps he would have died after all. Since Lady Deathstrike died (*if* she really died...), I'm sure he's not entirely immortal either. Nopel

2003-05-04 09:48:48-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (metrix007@yahoo.com)

broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) wrote in message news:<20030503153410.16121.00000372@mb-m25.aol.com>... > To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. > > THIS MOVIE RULES! > > I haven't had a movie going experience so enjoyable in the last..... well, a > damn long while (sorry, LotR is great and all, but X-Men always has and always > will mean more to me). > > You must see this movie. > > Heh, also I'm sitting here watching the DVD of the first Xmen movie which I > didn't own untill a few hours ago. X2 was so damn good I felt compelled to get > my hands on some more mutant action on my way home (didn't actually have the > Xmen DVD untill just now)..... damn I feel good ^_____^ > > Spoiler ahoy! > > ++++++(I warned you) > > I was glad to see Wolverine in serious "fuck you up" mode. When the commandos > invade the Xavier mansion he is NOT nice to them, not in the least. I > particularly liked the classic close-up shot where our hero has a knife to his > throat..... naturally Wolverine unleashes his 6 "knives" and perferates this > guy like a pin-cushion. > > Sticking with the invasion of the Xavier mansion, I loved the use of Kitty > Pride and Colossus. Colossus in particular impressed me; the big guy just > walked into a room with two commandos firing tranq darts left and right, they > turn and fire, naturally darts bounce off his steely exterior. We then are > treated to a hall view shortly followed by two commandos being tossed through a > wall. Colossus kicks ass. > > From there, wolvy runs off with Rogue, Pyro, and Iceman. I like the additions > of Pyro and Iceman, though they could've used Bobby (Iceman) a little more. > Pyro's general bad attitude and eventual turn to Magneto's side was well done > considering how very little time they had to do it in. I especially liked > Pyro's little suburban rampage after Wolverine gets shot in the head and the > kids think he's dead- yes, you heard me, Wolverine can survive a gun shot to > the head- and that Rogue sapped and controlled his power to stop him was pretty > good (at least she got to use her abilities for something). Also a great touch, > when Rogue sees Magneto again she starts stalking towards him and begins to > remove her glvoes, she got stopped before she could reach him, but great stuff > none the less. > > There were a lot of little humorous bits in this movie, too many to really list > off. > > Magneto and Mystique were a fun pair to watch, I particularly enjoyed > Mystique's trick for getting that crotchety-refrigorator-decoration (Magneto) > out of prison. She drugged one of the guards and injected at least a couple of > pounds of iron into his blood. Magneto extracted this iron from him and formed > what little he had into his metal balls of death and the extremely thin iron > disc upon which he flew away. Very kewl stuff indeed. > > Mystique's little "love scene" with Wolverine was also impressive. As a friend > pointed out "wow, imagine that one woman you could never possibly get bored > with" (well, it's true, sorry). In case you haven't seen it and you're reading > this anyways, don't worry Wolverine doesn't fall for mystique, she's just an > uber bitch. > > Anywho, where was I. Ah, yes, Lady Death Strike played by Kelly Hu. She had > like no lines, but her fighting was just awesome. As someone, somewhere said > "these fight scenes must've been coreographed in hell", and I believe it. The > fight between Wolverine and LDS is so damned viscious it isn't even funny. > Let's put it this way, she has a stilleto on each finger...... Wolverine was > literally stabbed hundereds of times in this fight (as was she). God, and the > way he kills her, let me just tell you now that I have a new "worst way to die" > now; burning to death while on E is now second on my list. > > That's another thing though. I could've sworn that Wolverine was supposed to > have had a past with LDS, I know he had a history with some Japanese woman and > I could've sworn that Lady Death Strike was her. If that's the case..... well, > there goes that plot line. > > And in this movie we get a sense of just how powerful the professor really is. > Seriously, in the second scene I was under the distinct impression that time > had stopped untill we overheard someone on the other end of a cell phone say > "hey, you there?"..... Xavier stopped every single person in a crowded public > place (museum i think) from so much as moving. That and the main plot, > revolving around a second Cerebro unit and using Xavier to turn it into a > weapon of genocide (not mass destruction). I had no idea he was so strong. > Throughout the comix, cartoons, and first movie I'd always heard people > commenting on Xavier's incredible power, but I hadn't really believed until > this one. Damn. > > Nightcrawler and Storm; was nice to see the writer's utilize Storm a bit more > and give a hint at just how strong she is (controlling the whether is a VERY > impressive ability). I don't really recall Nightcrawler being so impressive in > the comix, cartoons, or anything, but I can live with it, he was awesome (gotta > love a white hosue invasion). > > Now onto something that dives into the next movie: The Dark Pheonix. Damn, I'd > read a bit about them hinting at Jean Grey's future plot line, but I didn't > think they would go this far. Her power really picks up and referances are made > to her "dreams" and her eyes do the little "flame thing" from time to > time...... I was really, really surprised that they would push the Dark Pheonix > story this much. Though I did like the shot of the pheonix beneath the lake at > the end of the movie, and having Jean end the film with Xavier's monolgue from > the beginning of the first film was a really nice touch. > > A truly impressive super hero movie. IMHO this takes the cake for super hero > movies, hands down. Not spiderman, not supeman, not batman, not dare devil, > none of them compare to the X-Men and their second film X2: X-Men United. > > so damn happy now > > The Brooding One > Chris O'Connor > ------------- > Visit the Digital Psyche Anime Article Library (DPAAL) > http://www.digital-psyche.com/library/index.html > ------------- I think I liked daredevil better. Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over?

2003-05-04 12:02:03-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! (SPOILERS for third movie) - (Sarah Hoffman <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net>)

"st" <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uif8bvgmqvfio55c7pnidkcfd8qhbg7tla@4ax.com... > On Sat, 03 May 2003 21:21:44 GMT, liv <liv@ziplink.net> wrote: > > I certainly didn't feel any impact with 'what happened' at the end. If > the ending was supposed to have any real affect they should have put > those characters into the foreground more. As it was I found the > ending more annoying than anything. > > SPOILERS for third movie The end had the set up for the third movie. As a big fan of the comic series and already knowing what the third one was going to be, I could see the set up. Talking to other fans from the series, they saw it also. It's going to be the Phoenix saga.

2003-05-04 12:06:19-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Sarah Hoffman <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net>)

"JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... > > Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be > doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? Sarah

2003-05-04 13:14:20+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (baj7d@node3.unix.Virginia.EDU)

In article <d9c8bvg0g05mbfndrlab907k6f30m2vnbs@4ax.com>, liv <liv@ziplink.net> wrote: >On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:48:32 -0400, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > >>On 03 May 2003 19:34:10 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) >>wrote: >> >>>To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. >>> >>>THIS MOVIE RULES! >> >> >>The first movie was better, X2 has bigger special effects, but less >>story, character development and depth. >------ >Actually, I think the second movie is much better, the characters are >really coming into themselves. This seems to be a comic fan attitude, >though:-) The regular reviews don't seem to like it as much. Yes, oddly the Washington Post, yesterday, had two reviews. One in the Entertainment section REALLY mocking the movie and the fans. I mean throughout the whole article, just dripping sarcasm and put-downs. The review in the inside Magazine section (Weekend), was basically 4 stars, better than the first, made a couple comments about the acting, but over all very good. Haha, I pictured the reviewer with the bad opinion, found next morning, sliced neatly into six sections, with traces of wolverine hair next to the body. <g> -B -- baj7d@virginia.edu

2003-05-04 13:23:42+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (baj7d@node3.unix.Virginia.EDU)

In article <uif8bvgmqvfio55c7pnidkcfd8qhbg7tla@4ax.com>, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: >On Sat, 03 May 2003 21:21:44 GMT, liv <liv@ziplink.net> wrote: > >>On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:48:32 -0400, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >>>On 03 May 2003 19:34:10 GMT, broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam (Chris) >>>wrote: >>> >>>>To say that I enjoyed this film would be putting it mildly. >>>> >>>>THIS MOVIE RULES! >>> >>> >>>The first movie was better, X2 has bigger special effects, but less >>>story, character development and depth. >>------ >>Actually, I think the second movie is much better, the characters are >>really coming into themselves. This seems to be a comic fan attitude, >>though:-) The regular reviews don't seem to like it as much. > >And I'm not a fan, but I have been exposed to bits and pieces from >friends who are. There just seemed to be a serious lack of focus to >the plot. The original had a much clearer through line with the >Rogue/Wolverine focus. I tend to agree with you. The "Re-watchability" factor with X-1 is in the beginning with the neat scenes of Rogue finding W in that seedy bar, and then him fighting the challenge matches, and finally they meet, Rogue is rejected initially, then W goes back for her. I find when I get near the last 1/3 of the movie, I really don't care to re-watch that much at all. So again, the movie makers - if you're listening - it's character driven plots that make the ST, and Superheros movies great (ST 2, 4, and 6). It's NOT the huge SFX. It's good to have the SFX be excellent so that it doesn't detract from the Char-devel., i.e., the big monster or ship looks real. Last night on Sci-Fi, they had a show "Silent Warnings". The SFX were good but not great, and the 'aliens' looked like bad CGI, all stilted and rendered and soforth. Had the SFX been a couple steps better, the movie would have jumped a couple points. The bad CGI detracted. Did anyone see that? I noted on IMdB, they gave that flick an incredible 8.9!! I was really expecting da bomb, but it wasn't a five-star by any stretch. Maybe a 6 out of 10, but not an 8.9. -B -- baj7d@virginia.edu

2003-05-04 23:25:52-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

st <striketoo@hotmail.com>, on or about Sun, 04 May 2003 22:11:08 -0400, did you or did you not state: >This is starting to get a bit spoilery so for those of you who haven't >seen it... beware >. >. >. >. >. >. > >. >. >. >. >. >. >. >. >. >. >. >Even Rogue was reduced to little more than a cleavage shot, at least >compared to her rather prominent role in the first movie. That was one of the things I _liked_ about this movie. Not the cleavage shot (though I have to say that Anna Paquin is quite the babe), but that she _wasn't_ central to the movie. The first film was mostly about Rogue and Wolverine, so they were front and center. This film is also largely about Wolverine, but it _isn't_ about Rogue. And they didn't push her into the foreground "just because." Which they all too easily could have done, if the Suits had insisted ("the first movie was a hit and she was one of the main characters--so make sure she's central to this story too.") They focused on the characters who _were_ involved in the plot. >There were >just way too many mutants and way too many competing storylines for me >to form any kind of attachments to the characters. Wolverine seems to >be the intended focus of this movie, but imo, we never really get to >the core of what he is about in X2. You means besides being a hair-trigger killer with amnesia who wants to uncover his past and who loves Jean? I thought that was pretty clearly demonstrated. -- "It will let you do things nobody else can do, see things nobody else can see." "_Real_ things?" --Egg Shen and Jack Burton

2003-05-04 23:37:38-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

Rob Myers <robm@robmyers.removethisspamblocker.net>, on or about Sun, 04 May 2003 02:20:48 GMT, did you or did you not state: >In article <v578bvk86i32hclm1uh61t2rksed9hpi1s@4ax.com>, st ><striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: >> The first movie was better, X2 has bigger special effects, but less >> story, character development and depth. > >The first one had more "down time" but this one had about the perfect >balance of angst, characterization, social issues, and big fuckin' >fights! There were a lot of characters, but you got to know all of >them. Only the real background characters (Collosus, Kitty Pryde, the >other mutant kids) were undeveloped. Yeah, but if they follow the pattern of these two movies, we'll get a lot more of Colossus and Kitty in the next film. In the first film we got brief looks at Bobby and Pyro; in this film, they got some character development. I expect to see this pattern continue. (It also means that when, inevitably, some actor can't/won't sign on for a sequel, they'll have plenty of other mutants to use.) >I was *so* pleased that Wolverine and Magneto and Mystique didn't pull >any punches. Christ, how many people did Wolverine kill in this? And he >did it with nary a hesitation, just like he's supposed to. Yep. The first film had a remarkably low bodycount. This one...didn't. >And Magneto's "anti-redemption" when he got hold of Stryker's >installation. I mean, I had been feeling kind of sorry for him up until >then. But once the threat to mutant-kind was gone we were reminded, "Oh >yeah. This guy is no different than Stryker." Awesome. Amen. Magneto has not changed his spots. He needed the X-Men; they needed him. They worked together to achieve their immediate goals, but neither they--nor Magneto--forgot about their long-term goals. Magneto's overture to Pyro ("You are a god among insects--never let anyone tell you otherwise") was wonderful. >And Mystique is now my second favorite character of the films, right >behind Wolverine. I was expecting Mystique to get some kind of surprise >beat-down at the hands of Deathstrike (my least-favorite character), >but no. Mystique just made all of Stryker's team look like idiots. I was disappointed that Sen. Kelly was still Mystique. I'd hoped he'd survived his "death" and was now "passing" as a normal human while opposing the mutant laws. That would have demonstrated that Magneto's scheme, while evil, might actually have worked. Plus, I don't believe Mystique could impersonate him indefinitely. Sure, she can look and sound like him. But she doesn't know everyone he knows; she doesn't know everything he knows. She doesn't have his experience and skills as a politician. And being a Senator is a full-time (more than full-time) job. How'd she find time to do all the other things requird of her as Magneto's righthand man? >My only real problems with the film are things that are not the faults >of the filmmakers. Deathstrike is an idiotic character, IMO. Wow, an >asian "dragon lady" with long killer fingernails, how creative. Poor >Kelly Hu. That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Granted, she was a bit of a cliche--but an idiotic character? She was essentially Wolverine's female counterpart. Superfast healing and indestructible knives in her hands. -- "It will let you do things nobody else can do, see things nobody else can see." "_Real_ things?" --Egg Shen and Jack Burton

2003-05-05 01:05:23+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Rob Myers <robm@robmyers.removethisspamblocker.net>)

In article <4109bv8klvikcok42c5qvdhvrgsu0n58t4@4ax.com>, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > You're obviously a fan. Obviously. But her actions were still critical to the story. -- rob m at rob myers dot net

2003-05-05 07:21:02-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (nardo218@yahoo.com)

m e g a s p o i l e r s "Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119 > When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix > rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I > saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard > that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? You didn't miss anything. All they showed was Xaviar saying "I think everything's going to be fine" (meaning Jean); and then they show a "strange winged creature" swimming in the lake. Not that much of an Xmen fan, so please tell me -- what the heck is a phoenix doing in water? Aura

2003-05-05 11:10:26-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (metrix007@yahoo.com)

"Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119$fm4.488@fed1read06>... > "JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... > > > > > Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be > > doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? > > When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix > rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I > saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard > that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? > > > Sarah Yes her eyes had fire...but that is not supposed to happen until *after* she becomes the phoenix.. spolier.. in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, and believes itself to be jean grey.

2003-05-05 11:14:44-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu>)

On 5 May 2003 07:21:02 -0700, nardo218@yahoo.com (Ice Queen) wrote: >m >e >g >a >s >p >o >i >l >e >r >s >"Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119 >> When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix >> rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I >> saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard >> that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? > >You didn't miss anything. All they showed was Xaviar saying "I think >everything's going to be fine" (meaning Jean); and then they show a >"strange winged creature" swimming in the lake. > >Not that much of an Xmen fan, so please tell me -- what the heck is a >phoenix doing in water? Getting reborn. The part that being an X-Man fan would tell you is that, like someone else we know, Jean Grey can sing the line 'Hey, I died twice.' After her first death and resurrection, they stopped calling her Marvel Girl and started calling her Phoenix. -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2003-05-05 11:59:13-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

JoshB wrote: > "Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119$fm4.488@fed1read06>... > >>"JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... >> >> >>>Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be >>>doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? >> >>When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix >>rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I >>saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard >>that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? >> >> >>Sarah > > > > Yes her eyes had fire...but that is not supposed to happen until > *after* she becomes the phoenix.. > > spolier.. > > > > in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and > copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, > and believes itself to be jean grey. No, no, no! That's a bogus retcon as convincing (and appalling) as "Dawn was always here". Jean got a lethal dose of radiation, developed almost limitless new powers, slowly became corrupted by said powers (with the help of Mastermind tampering with her thoughts, admittedly), and eventually had to be put down like a mad dog. There was no Phoenix Force, there was no substitution. Jean is dead.

2003-05-05 14:33:12-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu>)

On Mon, 05 May 2003 11:59:13 -0700, Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote: >JoshB wrote: >> "Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119$fm4.488@fed1read06>... >> >>>"JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... >>> >>> >>>>Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be >>>>doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? >>> >>>When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix >>>rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I >>>saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard >>>that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? >>> >>> >>>Sarah >> >> >> >> Yes her eyes had fire...but that is not supposed to happen until >> *after* she becomes the phoenix.. >> >> spolier.. >> >> >> >> in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and >> copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, >> and believes itself to be jean grey. > >No, no, no! That's a bogus retcon as convincing (and appalling) as >"Dawn was always here". > >Jean got a lethal dose of radiation, developed almost limitless new >powers, slowly became corrupted by said powers (with the help of >Mastermind tampering with her thoughts, admittedly), and eventually had >to be put down like a mad dog. > >There was no Phoenix Force, there was no substitution. Jean is dead. from artichoke poisoning. This post was brought to you by JGDOTM -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2003-05-05 14:43:27+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On Sun, 4 May 2003 13:14:20 +0000 (UTC), baj7d@node3.unix.Virginia.EDU (Badger South) wrote: >Yes, oddly the Washington Post, yesterday, had two reviews. One >in the Entertainment section REALLY mocking the movie and the >fans. I mean throughout the whole article, just dripping >sarcasm and put-downs. > >The review in the inside Magazine section (Weekend), was >basically 4 stars, better than the first, made a couple >comments about the acting, but over all very good. The Washington Post Style section and Weekend section always have separate reviews. And it is clear from the reviewer that the Style reviewer hasn't read the comics so doesn't know the powers of the heroes (he thinks Prof X is a god who can stop time). So this may account for the different perception.

2003-05-05 19:09:48-04:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (NickKnight <NickKnightonFKNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

>Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! Yes. To the tune of 85.9 million dollars in the US. -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

2003-05-05 21:43:46-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Sarah Hoffman <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net>)

"JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c52a4e65.0305051010.4bf65852@posting.google.com... > "Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119$fm4.488@fed1read06>... > > "JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message > > news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... > > > > > > > > Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be > > > doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? > > > > When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix > > rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I > > saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard > > that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? > > > > > > Sarah > > > Yes her eyes had fire...but that is not supposed to happen until > *after* she becomes the phoenix.. > > spolier.. > > > > in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and > copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, > and believes itself to be jean grey. So, do you think Rachel will ever make an appearance in the movie? Or, will that one best be left alone? Sarah

2003-05-05 22:42:44-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (metrix007@yahoo.com)

William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu> wrote in message news:<vnldbvchmm3jeeujtr0kv82vbj5uf0mhvt@4ax.com>... > On Mon, 05 May 2003 11:59:13 -0700, Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com> > wrote: > > >JoshB wrote: > >> "Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119$fm4.488@fed1read06>... > >> > >>>"JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message > >>>news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... > >>> > >>> > >>>>Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be > >>>>doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? > >>> > >>>When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix > >>>rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I > >>>saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard > >>>that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? > >>> > >>> > >>>Sarah > >> > >> > >> > >> Yes her eyes had fire...but that is not supposed to happen until > >> *after* she becomes the phoenix.. > >> > >> spolier.. > >> > >> > >> > >> in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and > >> copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, > >> and believes itself to be jean grey. > > > >No, no, no! That's a bogus retcon as convincing (and appalling) as > >"Dawn was always here". > > > >Jean got a lethal dose of radiation, developed almost limitless new > >powers, slowly became corrupted by said powers (with the help of > >Mastermind tampering with her thoughts, admittedly), and eventually had > >to be put down like a mad dog. > > > >There was no Phoenix Force, there was no substitution. Jean is dead. > > from artichoke poisoning. > > This post was brought to you by JGDOTM I don't get it.

2003-05-05 22:44:18-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (metrix007@yahoo.com)

Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<3EB6B481.4080502@pacifier.com>... > JoshB wrote: > > "Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ludta.1119$fm4.488@fed1read06>... > > > >>"JoshB" <metrix007@yahoo.com> wrote in message > >>news:c52a4e65.0305040848.106e909d@posting.google.com... > >> > >> > >>>Also..where was the phonix in the the lake? And shouldnt her eyes be > >>>doing the fire thing after phoenix takes her over? > >> > >>When she first became Phoenix, it took place in the ocean and the Phoenix > >>rose out of the ocean. I missed the ending of the second movie, so all I > >>saw was the Phoenix in the lake. I didn't see anything beyond it. I heard > >>that her eyes had fire in them. Did that not happen? > >> > >> > >>Sarah > > > > > > > > Yes her eyes had fire...but that is not supposed to happen until > > *after* she becomes the phoenix.. > > > > spolier.. > > > > > > > > in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and > > copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, > > and believes itself to be jean grey. > > No, no, no! That's a bogus retcon as convincing (and appalling) as > "Dawn was always here". > The above works imo..because dawn was not "always there", buffy and co simply have altered memmories that make it seem as if that were so. > Jean got a lethal dose of radiation, developed almost limitless new > powers, slowly became corrupted by said powers (with the help of > Mastermind tampering with her thoughts, admittedly), and eventually had > to be put down like a mad dog. > > There was no Phoenix Force, there was no substitution. Jean is dead. Not sure on this, never read the comics, just read a quick synopsis..but it begs the question, if the phoenix being copied jean exactly, and there was no difference from jean, and would be thinking same things as jean would think in same situation..then how is jean dead?

2003-05-06 00:59:42-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

metrix007@yahoo.com (JoshB) wrote: ><william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu> wrote >> On Mon, 05 May 2003 11:59:13 -0700, Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com> >> wrote: >> >> in comics, she dies, and the phoenix wants to take her place, and >> >> copies her exactly...so exactly that it does not reliase it is a copy, >> >> and believes itself to be jean grey. >> > >> >No, no, no! That's a bogus retcon as convincing (and appalling) as >> >"Dawn was always here". >> > >> >Jean got a lethal dose of radiation, developed almost limitless new >> >powers, slowly became corrupted by said powers (with the help of >> >Mastermind tampering with her thoughts, admittedly), and eventually had >> >to be put down like a mad dog. >> > >> >There was no Phoenix Force, there was no substitution. Jean is dead. >> >> from artichoke poisoning. >> >> This post was brought to you by JGDOTM > > >I don't get it. This can answer both for this and your other post about Jean/the Phoenix. In Uncanny X-Men #99, the X-Men have a knockdown, dragout fight with Sentinels (giant mutant-killing robots). The space station is pretty much destroyed, and they bail in a damaged space shuttle. They're having to deal both with the heat of re-entry, and an intense radioactice bombardment as they enter the atmosphere. Jean shoos everyone else back into the central, more-heavily shielded compartment, takes the knowledge and skill necessary to fly the shuttle from the pilot's mind, and remains in the cockpit alone, flying the shuttle down to a splashdown in New York Harbor, while holding the shuttle together with her telekinesis (and absorbing the lethal dose of radiation referred to above). At the start of the next issue, Jean dies, has an out-of-body experience, and is resurrected, with a huge phoenix-shaped form of fire erupting from the water. Since she had died and been reborn, and since the 'phoenix' form of fire would appear whenever she really exerted herself, she took the name Phoenix (no more Marvel Girl). Phoenix was around and had several adventures with the rest of the X-Men, but started growing increasingly arrogant and increasingly unstable. She was nucged in this direction by dreams and daydreams that were being sent her by a mutant illusionist called Mastermind (that was Mastermind manipulating Professor X in the new movie). In the end, she found out what was happening and flipped out, destroying Mastermind's mind and leaving him catatonic, and then left the Earth The next bit is based on after-the-fact comments by the creative folks involved. Chris Claremont, the writer of the X-Men, had a scene, to show Jean's reckless power, where she flew through the sun of an unihapitated solar system, causing it to go nova. John Byrne, the artist, emballished the scene when he drew it, showing a planet inhabited by a plant-based race (hereinfater referred to as 'the asparagus people) being destroyed. When they reached the denouement of the Dark Phoenix storyline, they were going to have Jean powered down, and returned to more-or-less normal. Their editor, Jim Shooter said however that genocide was a line that couldn't be recrossed. Once she had destroyed that planet with billions of sentient beings, Jean could no longer be a good guy. She either had become a full-time villain, or she had to die. Claremont and Byrne opted for 'die'. So, because she ate a planet of asparagus people, in issue #138 of Uncanny X-Men Jean Grey Died On The Moon (JGDOTM). She actually managed to stay dead for several years, until Marvel elected to bring back the original X-Men (Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel, and Marvel Girl) in a new comic called X-Factor. The method they used to resurrect Jean was based on a potential backdoor first laid out by Kurt Busiek, back when he was still just a comics fan, before he became the big-name comics writer he is today. The explanation? Way back when she had the out-of-body experience in Uncanny X-Men #100, she was offered the choice of living again. when she took it, what actually happened was that she was encased in a healing coccoon at the bottom of New York Harbor, and the Phoenix Force took her place, so that it wasn't the 'real' Jean Grey' from #100 through #138, but the Phoenix Force, living as Jean Grey, with all her memories. That also meant it wasn't Jean who ate the asparagus people, but the Phoenix Force (so it was okay for Jean to be a hero). In a multi-title storyline leading up to the first issue of X-Factor, the Avengers found the coccoon in New York Harbor and turned it over to Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four. Richards was able to open the coccoon, and Jean Grey was reborn. Next we will contemplate how a girl (even a girl who has died twice) in her mid-twenties, who has never been pregnant, can have identical twin sons (one in his 40s, one a teen-ager), and a 20 year old daughter (Nathan Christopher Summers aka Cable, Nathan Grey aka X-Man, and Rachel Summers aka Phoenix). -- I have a theory It could be bunnies

2003-05-06 09:19:40-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

JoshB wrote: > Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:<3EB6B481.4080502@pacifier.com>... >>No, no, no! That's a bogus retcon as convincing (and appalling) as >>"Dawn was always here". >>Jean got a lethal dose of radiation, developed almost limitless new >>powers, slowly became corrupted by said powers (with the help of >>Mastermind tampering with her thoughts, admittedly), and eventually had >>to be put down like a mad dog. >> >>There was no Phoenix Force, there was no substitution. Jean is dead. > > > Not sure on this, never read the comics, just read a quick > synopsis..but it begs the question, if the phoenix being copied jean > exactly, and there was no difference from jean, and would be thinking > same things as jean would think in same situation..then how is jean > dead? Because the Phoenix slowly went power-mad (with a little help from a bad guy). Think Dark Willow, except Dark Phoenix actually _did_ destroy an entire inhabited world (the world of the "asparagus people" because that's what they looked like in their vey brief appearance). Then an armada came to capture and try her for genocide. The X-Men fought for her in a "trial by combat" and were getting their asses kicked (the imperial champions were a thinly-disguised version of DC's Justice League & other heroes). Jean/Phoenix, guilty over what she'd done and seeing that her friends were getting killed, put an end to it all by killing herself. In other words, Jean/Phoenix was dead. Really-o, truly-o dead. Til, of course, somebody decided to rewrite history and came up with the silly notion that the _real_ Jean Grey was at the bottom of the sound, where the shuttle had crashed, in a life-support cocoon while she healed after the "Phoenix Force" took her place. Gah. Ptui. Nothing like butchering a perfectly good storyline so you can dredge up a dead character for a juicy reset.

2003-05-06 09:26:19-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

Mark London wrote: > In a previous article, William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: > ->When they reached the denouement of the Dark Phoenix storyline, they > ->were going to have Jean powered down, and returned to more-or-less > ->normal. Their editor, Jim Shooter said however that genocide was a > ->line that couldn't be recrossed. Once she had destroyed that planet > ->with billions of sentient beings, Jean could no longer be a good guy. > ->She either had become a full-time villain, or she had to die. > ->Claremont and Byrne opted for 'die'. > > Hm, with that logic, Angel should be killed also. Well, this _is_ the same editor who also decreed that good guys don't kill. Which is why, several issues after Wolverine went postal on a bunch of gun-wielding goons with his claws (if you've seen X2 you have a good idea of what I mean), Claremont wrote a scene in which those same goons confronted Wolverine for a little payback, one of them saying (and I quote), "You carved us up pretty good, Wolverine. We could have died."

2003-05-06 09:41:23-05:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Just Rick Ramey <rickramey@tepidmail.com>)

On 6 MAY 2003 14:29:21 GMT, mrl@psfc.mit.edu (Mark London) wrote: >In a previous article, William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: >->When they reached the denouement of the Dark Phoenix storyline, they >->were going to have Jean powered down, and returned to more-or-less >->normal. Their editor, Jim Shooter said however that genocide was a >->line that couldn't be recrossed. Once she had destroyed that planet >->with billions of sentient beings, Jean could no longer be a good guy. >->She either had become a full-time villain, or she had to die. >->Claremont and Byrne opted for 'die'. > >Hm, with that logic, Angel should be killed also. > >->Next we will contemplate how a girl (even a girl who has died twice) >->in her mid-twenties, who has never been pregnant, can have identical >->twin sons (one in his 40s, one a teen-ager), and a 20 year old >->daughter (Nathan Christopher Summers aka Cable, Nathan Grey aka X-Man, >->and Rachel Summers aka Phoenix). > >If Angel can become a grandfather within 2 seasons, anything can happen. (How >come Jasmine never calls him grandad?) Kids these days... no respect for their elders. > >Mark London >MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

2003-05-06 14:29:21+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (mrl@psfc.mit.edu)

In a previous article, William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: ->When they reached the denouement of the Dark Phoenix storyline, they ->were going to have Jean powered down, and returned to more-or-less ->normal. Their editor, Jim Shooter said however that genocide was a ->line that couldn't be recrossed. Once she had destroyed that planet ->with billions of sentient beings, Jean could no longer be a good guy. ->She either had become a full-time villain, or she had to die. ->Claremont and Byrne opted for 'die'. Hm, with that logic, Angel should be killed also. ->Next we will contemplate how a girl (even a girl who has died twice) ->in her mid-twenties, who has never been pregnant, can have identical ->twin sons (one in his 40s, one a teen-ager), and a 20 year old ->daughter (Nathan Christopher Summers aka Cable, Nathan Grey aka X-Man, ->and Rachel Summers aka Phoenix). If Angel can become a grandfather within 2 seasons, anything can happen. (How come Jasmine never calls him grandad?) Mark London MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

2003-05-06 21:21:54+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Crazy Cat <khlua35001@sneakemail.com>)

Interesting review -- guess I'll have to see it. The one thing I hate about the series is that Famke Jenssen was cast as Phoenix -- she is a damned awful actress. Crazy

2003-05-09 04:27:59-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net>)

2003-05-09 04:28:00-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net>)

2003-05-09 11:34:39-07:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu>)

On Fri, 09 May 2003 04:28:00 -0700, David Glenn Misner <kidmiracleman@netzon.net> wrote: >>Next we will contemplate how a girl (even a girl who has died twice) >>in her mid-twenties, who has never been pregnant, can have identical >>twin sons (one in his 40s, one a teen-ager), and a 20 year old >>daughter (Nathan Christopher Summers aka Cable, Nathan Grey aka X-Man, >>and Rachel Summers aka Phoenix). > > > >Any relation to Buffy Summers or Jaime Summers????? Possibly. There are X-Fans who have put together Summers family trees that make the Newton Wold chart look simple. -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2003-05-09 22:38:46-04:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Morpheus <carterr@miskatonic.edu>)

"Gigabites" <bootzy@mac.com> wrote in message news:Xns9376A1E162C41bootzymaccom@216.148.227.77... > on 06 May 2003, Crazy Cat <khlua35001@sneakemail.com> banged on the > keyboard and managed to come up with this: > > > Interesting review -- guess I'll have to see it. > > > > The one thing I hate about the series is that Famke > > Jenssen was cast as Phoenix -- she is a damned awful > > actress. > > > > Crazy > > Overall the movie is eye candy, it drags near the end, and quite frankly, > if I wasn't seeing it thru my "inner 15yr old geek" eyes, I would find it > just a ho hum of a movie. They totally screwed up Dare Devil, Pissed me > off with the characters in X1, Spiderman was interesting, and now the > Hulk...which, save for jennifer connelly, looks stupid as well. Stan...oh > Stan... have you forsaken us, the true believers?!?!? Stan hasn't made the decisions at Marvel for quite a while now. The suits are in control.

2003-05-09 22:42:23-04:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! (SPOILERS for third movie) - (Morpheus <carterr@miskatonic.edu>)

"Sarah Hoffman" <sarah.hoffmanNOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message news:Kqdta.1118$fm4.722@fed1read06... > > "st" <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:uif8bvgmqvfio55c7pnidkcfd8qhbg7tla@4ax.com... > > On Sat, 03 May 2003 21:21:44 GMT, liv <liv@ziplink.net> wrote: > > > > I certainly didn't feel any impact with 'what happened' at the end. If > > the ending was supposed to have any real affect they should have put > > those characters into the foreground more. As it was I found the > > ending more annoying than anything. > > > > > > SPOILERS for third movie > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > The end had the set up for the third movie. As a big fan of the comic > series and already knowing what the third one was going to be, I could see > the set up. Talking to other fans from the series, they saw it also. It's > going to be the Phoenix saga. > What, Jean just rises from the water to become Phoenix without any of the intervening steps, i.e. no Omicron crystal, Shikar empire, or anything else?

2003-05-09 22:56:14+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! - (Gigabites <bootzy@mac.com>)

on 06 May 2003, Crazy Cat <khlua35001@sneakemail.com> banged on the keyboard and managed to come up with this: > Interesting review -- guess I'll have to see it. > > The one thing I hate about the series is that Famke > Jenssen was cast as Phoenix -- she is a damned awful > actress. > > Crazy as much as I agree with you, I **hate** the actor that plays Cyclops (James Marsden). He just seems like the stuck up team captain no one listens to. What really bugs me about the movie is that the character don't work as one, really. Its like a string of solo scenes, where each does hes/her thing. I thought the Danger room was supposed to train em to work together (ie, Fast Ball Special). Storm and Jean in the plane was close but there weren't enough of that. Especially toward the end was a such plot tool. Um, hello... you all have specia powers?!?! Storm... um, isn't a flood part of nature? Doesn't bobby freeze stuff? Jean couldn't just lift the plain a few feet and start up the engines? Why the stupid sacrafice thing. It was just stupid. Overall the movie is eye candy, it drags near the end, and quite frankly, if I wasn't seeing it thru my "inner 15yr old geek" eyes, I would find it just a ho hum of a movie. They totally screwed up Dare Devil, Pissed me off with the characters in X1, Spiderman was interesting, and now the Hulk...which, save for jennifer connelly, looks stupid as well. Stan...oh Stan... have you forsaken us, the true believers?!?!?

2003-05-10 19:43:59+01:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! (SPOILERS for third movie) - (Green Lantern <green_lantern@blueyonder.co.uk>)

> What, Jean just rises from the water to become Phoenix without any of the > intervening steps, i.e. no Omicron crystal, Shikar empire, or anything else? That would be M'Kraan and Shi'Ar. And currently in the X-Men comics 'real' Jean is manifesting Phoenix-like abilities without any of that stimuli. Keep in mind, the original Phoenix wasn't actually Jean, just a construct made by the Phoenix Force with Jean's memories and personality. I really enjoyed X-Men 2. Fair enough, some things were changed <No connection between Lady Deathstrike and Wolverine, Colossus being American, Stryker not being a preacher, Nightcrawler having those angelic markings instead of fur etc.> but it still worked really well. Peace, Matt

2003-05-10 23:22:49+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! (SPOILERS for third movie) - (broodingl33t@aol.comdamnspam)

About Colossus being American. Seeing as they portrayed him as a student, it's quite possible he was born in the USSR some time in the 80's and following the fall of the wall he was sent to the Xavier institute at a young enough age to phase out his accent. His name was never mentioned and I seriously doubt they'd change it from the original Piotr (Peter) Rasputin. Also, not sure if it's in the first DVD release, in the XMen 1.5 DVD director's commentary they actually had a really big kid just sitting by the reflecting pool drawing during the little "get to know the school" montage. That they kept his character trait of being an artist in tact leads me to blieve they really didn't tinker with him too much. All that was really done was to make him one of the studnets thus allowing for his lack of an accent. Weeeeeeeeee ^_^ The Brooding One Chris O'Connor ------------- Hit up Digital Psyche for comics, art, and forumy mayhem! www.digital-psyche.com -------------

2003-05-11 01:13:12+00:00 - Re: OT: X2: Xmen United... RULES! (SPOILERS for third movie) - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Green Lantern wrote: > > > What, Jean just rises from the water to become Phoenix without any of the > > intervening steps, i.e. no Omicron crystal, Shikar empire, or anything > else? > > That would be M'Kraan and Shi'Ar. And currently in the X-Men comics 'real' > Jean is manifesting Phoenix-like abilities without any of that stimuli. Keep > in mind, the original Phoenix wasn't actually Jean, just a construct made by > the Phoenix Force with Jean's memories and personality. When the Phoenix Saga was written, it certainly *was* Jean. The idea that the "Phoenix Force" was a construct with Jean's memories and personality was added later, to provide justification for bringing Jean Grey back to star in X-Factor (and thus bring all five original X-Men back together). Even so, I think the movie handled it just fine. > I really enjoyed X-Men 2. Fair enough, some things were changed <No > connection between Lady Deathstrike and Wolverine, Colossus being American, > Stryker not being a preacher, Nightcrawler having those angelic markings > instead of fur etc.> but it still worked really well. What I look for in adaptations is whether it maintains the spirit of the work, if not the letter. I think the movies have managed the spirit nicely. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com