FLM films - My Webpage

2003-06-01 02:46:10+00:00 - I Liked Season 4 - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Yeah it was weird and funky, but so am I. That was the right way to do dark... reach into forbidden areas of the mind and deal with some scary themes without depressing people too much. Wes and Lilah, the bizarre Greek tragedy (much more palatable after we found out what happened to Cordy), the villain who was more misguided than evil...it all added up to coolness for me. Angel, from around December on, was my favorite show this year. It enrages me to be told I have a temper.

2003-06-01 04:22:36+00:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (unboundi@aol.com)

2003-06-01 05:29:03+00:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030531224610.23114.00000664@mb-m13.aol.com... > Yeah it was weird and funky, but so am I. That was the right way to do dark... > reach into forbidden areas of the mind and deal with some scary themes without > depressing people too much. Wes and Lilah, the bizarre Greek tragedy (much > more palatable after we found out what happened to Cordy), the villain who was > more misguided than evil...it all added up to coolness for me. Angel, from > around December on, was my favorite show this year. Yeah, altho I have mixed feelings about the ending being a copout. I would have preferred them dealing with the CONSEQUENCES of their actions instead of hitting 'reset'. For all the flaws of BTVS's S6, they did have to deal with the consequences. > It enrages me to be told I have a temper. What? You? Temper? No. You're a *good* poster. Yes you are. Yes you are. A good poster. -- Ken from Chicago

2003-06-02 00:39:12+00:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (Linda <lindaDELETESPAM@susieword.com>)

"Unbound I" <unboundi@aol.com> wrote in message news:20030601002236.15743.00000681@mb-m28.aol.com... > >From: fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) > > > >Yeah it was weird and funky, but so am I. That was the right way to do > >dark... > >reach into forbidden areas of the mind and deal with some scary themes > >without > >depressing people too much. Wes and Lilah, the bizarre Greek tragedy (much > >more palatable after we found out what happened to Cordy), the villain who > >was > >more misguided than evil...it all added up to coolness for me. Angel, from > >around December on, was my favorite show this year. > > > I enjoyed the season quite a bit as well. I've said this before, but I > believe "Angel" has gotten progressively stronger with each passing season and > Season 4 was the series' strongest yet. What I liked most was how it took the > show's interpersonal relationships, which provide its foundation, and used them > as a starting point for larger themes and ideas. The thematic and allegorical > contexts used were both fascinating and engaging and served to propel the > series and its characters in a new direction. And Tim Minear's season finale > was damn near brilliant in bringing the season to a close while opening the > door to the future in a most provocative manner. > Whereas "Angel" began as a "Buffy" spinoff and will be forever linked to > that show, it has grown into its own entity with characterizations and plot > developments unique to itself and not merely shadows of stories already told in > the Buffy-verse. > This is a damn fine television show. What he said. -- Best regards, Linda Mmmmmm......Angel

2003-06-02 18:22:51+00:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

Rose <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote: > Yeah it was weird and funky, but so am I. That was the right way to do dark... > reach into forbidden areas of the mind and deal with some scary themes without > depressing people too much. Wes and Lilah, the bizarre Greek tragedy (much > more palatable after we found out what happened to Cordy), the villain who was > more misguided than evil...it all added up to coolness for me. Angel, from > around December on, was my favorite show this year. I liked all the elements which you liked. And yet I disliked the season a good deal. Why? Well, for one thing the story didn't make any sense at all. There's been ample discussion of this, so there's no need to go into it here. Additionally, the elements of the season which we both agree were good simply weren't enough to sustain my interest. The idea the writers had to have nearly every episode begin right where the last one ended became tiresome. I have no idea which episode is which, really. It's a blur. Also, Charimsa Carpenter was just terrible. I have liked her performances since she started in S1 "Buffy". But this season she was just horrible. Not only did she look bad, but she was costumed horribly. But the worst of it was her acting. She just came across as someone whom they grabbed off the street. I'm sad that she won't be back, however, since I have to believe it was her pregnancy (and a healthy dose of the ridiculous lines she had to deliver) that caused her drop in performance. Jasmine was a few episode story that got spread out over far too long. There was yet another pregnancy story. Etc., Etc. I still think "Home" was excellent. And I liked many of the elements of the penultimate episode too. So, it wasn't a complete loss. But overall, there were far too many negatives. -- A.E. Jabbour You don't learn that kind of darkness - it's innate. It was in you before we ever met. You said you can smell me? Well I can smell you too. My boy's in there, and he wants out. Darla, "Dear Boy"

2003-06-03 00:35:47-07:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (pegasuskid@earthlink.net)

"Linda" <lindaDELETESPAM@susieword.com> wrote in message news:<Q0xCa.167164$vw6.1221093@news.easynews.com>... > "Unbound I" <unboundi@aol.com> wrote in message > news:20030601002236.15743.00000681@mb-m28.aol.com... > > >From: fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) > > > > > >Yeah it was weird and funky, but so am I. That was the right way to do > > >dark... > > >reach into forbidden areas of the mind and deal with some scary themes > > >without > > >depressing people too much. Wes and Lilah, the bizarre Greek tragedy > (much > > >more palatable after we found out what happened to Cordy), the villain > who > > >was > > >more misguided than evil...it all added up to coolness for me. Angel, > from > > >around December on, was my favorite show this year. > > > > > I enjoyed the season quite a bit as well. I've said this before, but I > > believe "Angel" has gotten progressively stronger with each passing season > and > > Season 4 was the series' strongest yet. What I liked most was how it took > the > > show's interpersonal relationships, which provide its foundation, and used > them > > as a starting point for larger themes and ideas. The thematic and > allegorical > > contexts used were both fascinating and engaging and served to propel the > > series and its characters in a new direction. And Tim Minear's season > finale > > was damn near brilliant in bringing the season to a close while opening > the > > door to the future in a most provocative manner. > > Whereas "Angel" began as a "Buffy" spinoff and will be forever linked > to > > that show, it has grown into its own entity with characterizations and > plot > > developments unique to itself and not merely shadows of stories already > told in > > the Buffy-verse. > > This is a damn fine television show. > > What he said. What she said, what he said...:8)~

2003-06-03 08:58:42-07:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (coriolis@mac.com)

> I enjoyed the season quite a bit as well. I've said this before, but I > believe "Angel" has gotten progressively stronger with each passing season and > Season 5 was the series' strongest yet. Wow! Good news for the rest of us looking forward to the new episodes in September. Care to reveal how they managed to make Spike fit? coriolis ;-)

2003-06-04 20:55:19+00:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (paulisbored@aol.com)

i thought season 4 was complete bullshit

2003-06-05 12:43:38-07:00 - Re: I Liked Season 4 - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote in message news:<20030531224610.23114.00000664@mb-m13.aol.com>... > Yeah it was weird and funky, but so am I. That was the right way to do > dark... reach into forbidden areas of the mind and deal with some scary > themes without depressing people too much. Wes and Lilah, the bizarre Greek > tragedy (much more palatable after we found out what happened to Cordy), the > villain who was more misguided than evil...it all added up to coolness for > me. Angel, from around December on, was my favorite show this year. > > It enrages me to be told I have a temper. Season 4 is hard to judge for me. The first few episodes were good, then I started completely hating what they were doing with the show. I hated Connor, I hated Gunn and Fred (and their ridiculous relationship), I hated that Lorne became more and more prominent. I hated Cordy. What kept me watching was Angel whom I tolerated, and the compelling Wesley/Lilah stuff. Starting with Apocalypse Nowish, I became interested in the storyline, especially since it started to eclipse some of the worst elements of the show. I absolutely abhorred how they decided to bring Angelus back, although I enjoyed that stretch of episodes. The return of Faith literally revived the show for me, and from that point on, I found that Angel became as compelling as it once was. By the end of the Jasmine arc, I was in love with the show once more. Although I have some reservations, I can't wait for next year. Fanwanking here In some interview, Joss revealed that the end of Season 2 had been aborted because of botched contract arrangement with some of the guest stars. I'm gonna assume he was talking about Darla, and that she was supposed to come back pregnant in the third to last episode and would've had Connor by the end of Season 2 (replacing the Pylean arc, which IMO was the lowest the series has ever been). Then Season 3 would have told the arc of Connor, finishing like Home did. Thinking that way, I can see how the writers tried to extend to a year and a half a year's worth of content, which resulted in a very unfocused two seasons. It's just an hypothesis, but it brings me comfort. :)