FLM films - My Webpage

2004-02-15 17:34:29+00:00 - Angel Announcement Unusual? - (Clem Clambake <Clem_Clambake@excite.coma>)

It's pretty unusual for a network to announce a cancellation of a series in the middle of the season, isn't it? Especially with the intention of letting the series finish out the whole season. -- Clem Clambake Visit Clem Clambake's "Alex Ross Lounge" at http://nermal.digitalexpressions.nu/ClemClambake/AlexRossLounge/

2004-02-15 17:48:16-08:00 - Re: Angel Announcement Unusual? - (seancdaug@speakeasy.net)

Chris Schumacher <kensu__@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<vajv20d6v2u0tvghq9fmlb63t3lu4ar9vl@4ax.com>... > This sort of thing has happened before (q.v. Bird of Prey) but the > fact that they announced it so early makes it clear that they WANT to > kill the show, and they aren't fence-sitting. > It makes me wonder if they pissed off someone powerful... Personally, I doubt it. It seems the reason for the announcement was to make it easier for ME to wrap up the series. Besides, though simple diplomacy was no doubt a factor, the announcement did go out its way to thank the actors and producers. Most likely, they never had any real intention of picking it up for a sixth season to begin with. They kept it on for a fifth, possibly to fill a schedule hole (maybe as a result of the somewhat unexpected failure of "Birds of Prey"?), but likely fully expected to have something to replace it with thereafter.

2004-02-15 19:13:50-08:00 - Re: Angel Announcement Unusual? - (nospam@nospam.com)

In article <F4OXb.8012$PY.1676@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com>, Clem Clambake <Clem_Clambake@excite.coma> wrote: > It's pretty unusual for a network to announce a cancellation of a series in > the middle of the season, isn't it? Especially with the intention of > letting the series finish out the whole season. yes and no. most of the time the show's PTB know for the start that X is the last season. like with Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Felicity etc. but sometimes the decision is made later. I for one am more suprised by Joss's claims that the decision was out of the blue etc than the actual decision. If he didn't guess that they would be watching closely and more likely not to renew for a season six then he's not the genius that folks think he is. most of the time the non renewal announcement is made at the end of the season. problem with that is that it means that the show wasn't given a chance to properly wrap up. Out of respect for Joss and Mutant Enemy, the WB told them now so they could end things properly, rather than just cutting it off short.

2004-02-15 19:52:57+00:00 - Re: Angel Announcement Unusual? - (Chris Schumacher <kensu__@hotmail.com>)

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:34:29 GMT, "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@excite.coma> wrote: > >It's pretty unusual for a network to announce a cancellation of a series in >the middle of the season, isn't it? Especially with the intention of >letting the series finish out the whole season. This sort of thing has happened before (q.v. Bird of Prey) but the fact that they announced it so early makes it clear that they WANT to kill the show, and they aren't fence-sitting. It makes me wonder if they pissed off someone powerful... -==Kensu==-

2004-02-16 07:42:48+00:00 - Re: Angel Announcement Unusual? - (Chris Zabel <alephnull@earthlink.net>)

I have strong suspicions that the WB execs looked at the numbers for the first 2 sweeps episodes this month and finally pulled the plug when they realized their experiment of AtS after Smallville wasn't pulling the numbers they expected. -- "They tease me now, telling me it was only a dream. But does it matter whether it was a dream or reality, if the dream made known to me the truth?" - Dostoevsky