FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-10 04:40:53+00:00 - Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (El_Torito@optonline.com)

http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm The New York Times, January 5, 2003 Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy By AMY HARMON Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell cable operators to flip the switch. alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er

2003-01-10 04:42:39-05:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - ("=/\\=Locutus=/\\=" <Drone@Uni-MatrixOne.DeltaQuadrent>)

> > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > cable operators to flip the switch. did you even read the arcticle?? its about pay TV not broadcast TV get your subject right next time

2003-01-10 06:56:50-08:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (JoeBev@comedyorama.com)

El_Torito@optonline.com wrote in message news:<7djs1vg4fibef98vgvhk5lvculft0htnui@4ax.com>... > http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > By AMY HARMON > > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > cable operators to flip the switch. > > alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, > alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er This is interesting because some of us don't have digital cable boxes but T-VO boxes that are intended TO record shows. So ha-ha-ha to these "Hollywood studios". I record up to 30 hours of programming per week and watch it when I choose and zap the commercials. Now THAT is the wave of the future. Joe Bevilacqua Radio Producer http://www.comedyorama.com

2003-01-10 12:05:20+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (lindat5@mindspring.com)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:40:53 UTC, El_Torito@optonline.com wrote: How nice for people who work nights and can't stay home to watch TV LT > http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > By AMY HARMON > > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > cable operators to flip the switch. > > alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, > alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er --

2003-01-10 14:47:41-05:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - ("Aratodas, Lord of Pigs" <EonBlueEpic@starpower.net>)

it was talking about pay-per-view, which i don't think you can record anyways. unless i'm stupid, which is not unlikely. "Wouter Valentijn" <Wouter.ValentijnNOT@12move.nl> wrote in message news:avn6i1$hi2jv$1@ID-43412.news.dfncis.de... > > "TheShredder" <TheShredder1@prodigy.net> schreef in bericht > news:SPET9.591$IT7.191@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com... > > > > > so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC > h/discs > > > and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, > its > > a > > > hoax and will never happen. > > > > It's also more than likley the same person who posts this once every few > > months in hopes of stirring up trouble. Just ignore it and he'll get > bored > > :). > > > > Yes, it is very familiar. > Ignored it is. > > -- > Wouter Valentijn > > > www.ZeppoDunsel.nl > > > Delete NOT in e-mail address > > > >

2003-01-10 16:15:11+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Larry Gold <larry.gold@ntlworld.com>)

so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC h/discs and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, its a hoax and will never happen. -- Larry Gold Arsenal For Life (Mine's A Double) larry.gold.@ntlworld.com <El_Torito@optonline.com> wrote in message news:7djs1vg4fibef98vgvhk5lvculft0htnui@4ax.com... > http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > By AMY HARMON > > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > cable operators to flip the switch. > > alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, > alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er

2003-01-10 16:57:57-08:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Don Del Grande <del_grande@netvista.net>)

Hawk Eye wrote: > Larry Gold wrote: >> so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC h/discs >> and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, its a >> hoax and will never happen. I wouldn't say "hoax", exactly, although pretty much every "get tougher on copying TV" law I've seen includes something that would make it illegal to make it impossible to record something not on PPV or "premium cable" (e.g. HBO, Showtime). Of course, laws can be changed in almost literally a moment's notice, and there are some studios that wouldn't mind having all of the above-mentioned devices rendered pretty much worthless. ("But the VCR is one of Hollywood's saviors!" You mean the playing ability of a VCR - most people who own a VCR probably still have no idea how to record a TV show, much less ever actually do.) > Its good to see someone so confident. Digital broadcast TV is nearly > with us, DVD recorders are getting cheaper. So I will soon be able to > record near perfect quality copies of any TV show I want. Oh wait isn't > that the one that Hollywood wanted to sell me a DVD of next week?? Too > bad I've already got it. I assume you mean "the one Hollywood wanted to force me to watch in syndication (compelte with commercials and cuts) for the next who knows how many years before being released on DVD", although some studios are beginning to back down on this a little (Fox with "Malcolm in the Middle", for example). It's still relatively easy to introduce the occasional "glitches" into a digital TV signal, which wouldn't be there on the DVD version. > The technology is cheap enough and available that it will be with us > soon no matter what anyone thinks. Had it been available when video came > out we already would have had it - thank God it wasn't The "technology" to make the sale of VCRs that could record TV shows has always been around, and four Supreme Court justices back in 1984 (Blackmun, Marshall, Powell, and Rehnquist) in Sony Corp. vs. Universal City Studios et. al. agreed that it should be used - fortunately, the other five justices did not (although, in fact, had the studios won, they would have "settled" for a "video tape tax" of some sort). --------------------------------------------- Don Del Grande, del_grande@netvista.net I wonder how many different threads of this discussion exist, as this was posted to far more newsgroups than these seven

2003-01-10 19:05:22+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (TheShredder <TheShredder1@prodigy.net>)

2003-01-10 20:21:31+01:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Wouter Valentijn <Wouter.ValentijnNOT@12move.nl>)

"TheShredder" <TheShredder1@prodigy.net> schreef in bericht news:SPET9.591$IT7.191@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com... > > > so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC h/discs > > and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, its > a > > hoax and will never happen. > > It's also more than likley the same person who posts this once every few > months in hopes of stirring up trouble. Just ignore it and he'll get bored > :). > Yes, it is very familiar. Ignored it is. -- Wouter Valentijn www.ZeppoDunsel.nl Delete NOT in e-mail address >

2003-01-10 20:47:19-05:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Michael <mikeg@pulsenet.com>)

Who records TV shows, anyway? <El_Torito@optonline.com> wrote in message news:7djs1vg4fibef98vgvhk5lvculft0htnui@4ax.com... > http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > By AMY HARMON > > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > cable operators to flip the switch. > > alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, > alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er

2003-01-10 22:58:15+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Hawk Eye <sunbed@rocketmail.com>)

On 10/01/2003 16:15 Larry Gold stumbled slowly upto the bar, fell over and slurred... >so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC h/discs >and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, its a >hoax and will never happen. > > > Its good to see someone so confident. Digital broadcast TV is nearly with us, DVD recorders are getting cheaper. So I will soon be able to record near perfect quality copies of any TV show I want. Oh wait isn't that the one that Hollywood wanted to sell me a DVD of next week?? Too bad I've already got it. The technology is cheap enough and available that it will be with us soon no matter what anyone thinks. Had it been available when video came out we already would have had it - thank God it wasn't -- Regards Neil "This message posted with the aid of Mozilla. The best Internet Software no money can buy!"

2003-01-10 23:39:19+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (A Bag Of Memes <a@b.c>)

"TheShredder" <TheShredder1@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:SPET9.591$IT7.191@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com... > > > so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC h/discs > > and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, its > a > > hoax and will never happen. > > It's also more than likley the same person who posts this once every few > months in hopes of stirring up trouble. Just ignore it and he'll get bored > :). Digital Rights Management isn't a hoax. The people who profit from creating content are doing everything they can to make sure they get paid as much as possible.

2003-01-10 23:55:59+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (The_Fist <johngons@hula.net>)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:40:53 GMT, El_Torito@optonline.com wrote: >http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > >The New York Times, January 5, 2003 >Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > >By AMY HARMON > >Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is >technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to >watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell >cable operators to flip the switch. That's retarded. You can legally record anything on TV (PPV or otherwise) via any medium you wish (video tape, DVD, CDRW, digital) as long as it's for personal use/entertainment. Somebody call the ACLU..... > >alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, >alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er

2003-01-11 00:03:22-05:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - ("Aratodas, Lord of Pigs" <EonBlueEpic@starpower.net>)

i record tv shows when i'm not home, and i record movies on tv all the time "Michael" <mikeg@pulsenet.com> wrote in message news:3e1f77d1$1_2@athena.netset.com... > Who records TV shows, anyway? > > <El_Torito@optonline.com> wrote in message > news:7djs1vg4fibef98vgvhk5lvculft0htnui@4ax.com... > > http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > > > > The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > > Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > > > By AMY HARMON > > > > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > > cable operators to flip the switch. > > > > alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, > > alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er > >

2003-01-11 00:26:32+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Cardman <cardman@nospamcardman.co.uk>)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:47:41 -0500, "Aratodas, Lord of Pigs" <EonBlueEpic@starpower.net> wrote: >it was talking about pay-per-view, which i don't think you can record >anyways. unless i'm stupid, which is not unlikely. What can be done can be undone. For a very good reason I sell a device that removes this Macrovision copy protection and allow you to record such programming. Or in some cases allow you to view the stuff it the first place, when some TVs are also affected by Macrovision. They turn that on in some serious way and I will sell a lot more of my MACROX device to get rid of it. :-] You can always see my site for details, but of course recording this PPV to sell to your friends is a big no-no. Cardman http://www.cardman.com http://www.cardman.co.uk

2003-01-11 00:53:32+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Cardman <cardman@nospamcardman.co.uk>)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:58:15 +0000, Hawk Eye <sunbed@rocketmail.com> wrote: >On 10/01/2003 16:15 Larry Gold stumbled slowly upto the bar, fell over >and slurred... > >>so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC h/discs >>and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, its a >>hoax and will never happen. > >Its good to see someone so confident. I highly doubt that it would happen, when in my country at least they set a clear split between say the latest PPV movies and other movies and general programming. >Digital broadcast TV is nearly >with us, DVD recorders are getting cheaper. So I will soon be able to >record near perfect quality copies of any TV show I want. Oh wait isn't >that the one that Hollywood wanted to sell me a DVD of next week?? Too >bad I've already got it. Even broadcast quality does not quite meet DVD quality, not that most people would notice the difference. Also DVDs come with extra scenes and bonus features for a reason, which is to sell you something that you have not already got. >The technology is cheap enough and available that it will be with us >soon no matter what anyone thinks. Had it been available when video came >out we already would have had it - thank God it wasn't Well I am a person who kind of has it all, which I believe makes a good example for this future. As since I am in to satellite reception big time, then I can already see dozens of the latest PPV movie stations for free. However I do not record this stuff, where my current recording options would be VCR or to video capture on my computer. Maybe one day I will get a DVD recorder, but as I know from VCD burning this is quite a lot of work and there is a storage / quality issue. I can also download the latest movies from the Internet if desired, which are available at the same time as the cinema release. And this is quite interesting, when then you see the movies months before even the PPV stage. This centralized data source is my favourite method, even if I do not make use of it that much, when from movies on my server I can play on any workstation, burn them to VCD for remote play, or use the video out feature on either of my laptops to watch on my big 61" TV. Then I also happen to own a DVD collection of like 100 titles long, where I guess I have these for the quality, extras and that they are fairly easy to store and quick to play. So I would say that my movie access choice is split between how fast I can get it and convenience with quality being an important extra feature. I would go with a future of big hard drives and movie storage with reasonable DivX quality, when this I find most convenient. However, even this would not stop me from buying DVDs, when you could say that I consider this the top choice in quality and the second choice in convenience. I suppose I also like DVDs due to my DD 5.1 speaker setup, when you don't get six channel sound on downloaded movies. Well lets see what the future holds when we all have these DVD recorders as standard, when I cannot see that this would stop people buying movie DVDs. Cardman http://www.cardman.com http://www.cardman.co.uk

2003-01-11 01:30:56-08:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

In article <d2nu1voskfqb7gal47h1q966hsp1tlqtgg@4ax.com>, The_Fist <johngons@hula.net> wrote: > On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:40:53 GMT, El_Torito@optonline.com wrote: > > >http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > > > >The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > >Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > > >By AMY HARMON > > > >Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > >technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > >watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > >cable operators to flip the switch. > > That's retarded. You can legally record anything on TV (PPV or > otherwise) via any medium you wish (video tape, DVD, CDRW, digital) as > long as it's for personal use/entertainment. > > Somebody call the ACLU..... You can record it if it's available but that doesn't mean the broadcasters have to provide you with unscrambled signals so that you can. If a TV network is able to scramble their signal to make recording impossible, there's nothing illegal about that whatsoever. There's certainly nothing in the Constitution that gives everyone the "right to record TV shows".

2003-01-11 02:41:45+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (A Bag Of Memes <a@b.c>)

"The_Fist" <johngons@hula.net> wrote in message news:d2nu1voskfqb7gal47h1q966hsp1tlqtgg@4ax.com... > On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:40:53 GMT, El_Torito@optonline.com wrote: > > >http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > > > >The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > >Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > > >By AMY HARMON > > > >Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > >technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > >watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > >cable operators to flip the switch. > > That's retarded. You can legally record anything on TV (PPV or > otherwise) via any medium you wish (video tape, DVD, CDRW, digital) as > long as it's for personal use/entertainment. > > Somebody call the ACLU..... Read the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). It is now illegal to bypass copy protection. It is also illegal to create tools (software or hardware) to help someone else bypass copy protection. You have no legal right to copy material that has been copy protected. All of the new digital formats include some sort of copy protection.

2003-01-11 03:05:34-05:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Frodo <hobbit@habit.biz>)

"A Bag Of Memes" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:HQIT9.18366$aG4.766035@twister.austin.rr.com... > > "TheShredder" <TheShredder1@prodigy.net> wrote in message > news:SPET9.591$IT7.191@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com... > > > > > so the millions of video recorders, and the thousands of TV on PC > h/discs > > > and the new recordable DVD and the Tivo. might as well be thrown away, > its > > a > > > hoax and will never happen. > > > > It's also more than likley the same person who posts this once every few > > months in hopes of stirring up trouble. Just ignore it and he'll get > bored > > :). > > Digital Rights Management isn't a hoax. The people who profit from creating > content are doing everything they can to make sure they get paid as much as > possible. > They are only concerned with Pay per view and digitally copying DVDs, which are both fair concerns. Sony has absolutely no interest in your time-shifting of Days with either your VCR or your TIVO. They are a little concerned about your skipping commercials, but that's another story... And only in capitalist America does trying to get paid for something you create somehow seen as insidious...

2003-01-11 03:09:22-05:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Frodo <hobbit@habit.biz>)

"lLinda Terrell" <lindat5@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:epxRkhlUwRo0-pn2-JZPrWzqKUYHv@user-33qts1l.dialup.mindspring.com... > On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:40:53 UTC, El_Torito@optonline.com wrote: > > How nice for people who work nights and can't > stay home to watch TV > > LT > Don't believe everything some anoymous subgenius posts in a newsgroup. No one is interested in your time-shifting Days. On the contrary; they'd prefer that you do that, and not miss it every day. Their only concern is with people who will make a DVD of a Pay-Per-View Movie and pass it around, thus depriving them of revenue, and people who will buy a DVD and make 20 copies for their friends. Given that a smaller revenue stream will likely result in far less and much cheaper content, it's a pretty valid concern. > > > http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm > > > > > > The New York Times, January 5, 2003 > > Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy > > > > By AMY HARMON > > > > Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is > > technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs to > > watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to tell > > cable operators to flip the switch. > > > > alt.tv.commercials, alt.tv.days-of-our-lives, alt.tv.charmed, > > alt.tv.cartoon-network, alt.tv.earth-final-conflict, alt.tv.er > > > -- >

2003-01-11 03:24:11+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (TheShredder <TheShredder1@prodigy.net>)

"Michael" <mikeg@pulsenet.com> wrote in message news:3e1f77d1$1_2@athena.netset.com... > Who records TV shows, anyway? > Not as much as I used to, I'll admit. Why bother when it's more than likley to come out on DVD sets a few months down the line. But, if there is a chance that there will be NO extras on the official release, I'm more likley to digitally record it using my TV Tuner and burn it to disc myself. I'll put up with the logo if I have to :).

2003-01-11 05:14:12+00:00 - Re: Soon recording TV shows will be illegal! - (Cyclograph <cyclograph@yahoo.com>)

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:26:32 +0000, Cardman <cardman@nospamcardman.co.uk> wrote: >On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:47:41 -0500, "Aratodas, Lord of Pigs" ><EonBlueEpic@starpower.net> wrote: > >>it was talking about pay-per-view, which i don't think you can record >>anyways. unless i'm stupid, which is not unlikely. > >What can be done can be undone. > >For a very good reason I sell a device that removes this Macrovision >copy protection and allow you to record such programming. Or in some >cases allow you to view the stuff it the first place, when some TVs >are also affected by Macrovision. While macrovision can be fairly easily dealt with, what about CGMS flags? AFAIK this is far trickier, and possibly a method to be used for DTV (though it can also be applied in analog too, currently DVD and possibly some broadcast). IIRC some of the more sophisticated outboard TBC units allow removing the analog version - at the cost of CC data (and a lot of $$). At least the old SCMS could allow for one copy... Though at the moment CGMS is only acknowledged by digital recording devices with removable media (e.g. DVD-R, DVHS, D8, etc... the infamous "Copy Inhibit" message), but as they become more the norm and DTV more available I'd expect much public irritation if implemented. (though surely there will always be some hardware hacks) One should at least also keep an eye on what DRM is reportedly being integrated into MS products. -K