FLM films - My Webpage

2003-09-05 21:57:44-04:00 - The "magnificent poof" speech - (Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@nospam.com>)

That's when Spike became unkillable. Discuss. Or not.

2003-09-06 02:40:21+00:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (angiedeiuvia@aol.computer)

<< That's when Spike became unkillable. Discuss. Or not. >><BR><BR> If you mean his rooftop speech in season 1... AMEN! Mandi The fish Girl "I saw Fish" "Hey it's the Fish Girl!"

2003-09-06 13:07:04+10:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (alphakitten <alphakittenx@netscape.net>)

The Fish Girl wrote: > << That's when Spike became unkillable. > > Discuss. Or not. > >><BR><BR> > > If you mean his rooftop speech in season 1... AMEN! I thought he called Angel that in Lover's Walk? ~Angel > > > Mandi > The fish Girl > "I saw Fish" > "Hey it's the Fish Girl!"

2003-09-08 14:37:24-04:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@nospam.com>)

The Fish Girl wrote: > << That's when Spike became unkillable. > > Discuss. Or not. > >><BR><BR> > > If you mean his rooftop speech in season 1... AMEN! Yes, his rooftop speech. Possibly the finest moment in the entire series, and it belongs to Spike. So how could they kill him after that?

2003-09-08 15:27:44-07:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (reldevik@usa.net)

Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<3F5CCC64.4000708@nospam.com>... > The Fish Girl wrote: > > << That's when Spike became unkillable. > > > > Discuss. Or not. > > >><BR><BR> > > > > If you mean his rooftop speech in season 1... AMEN! > > Yes, his rooftop speech. Possibly the finest moment in the entire > series, and it belongs to Spike. So how could they kill him after that? --Back in 1999 when that scene first aired, and when the idea of Noble Redemptive Spike wasn't yet even a twinkle in my eye, I used to quote the rooftop speech with my son and we'd laugh like maniacs. We got such a kick out of evil, snarky Spike. I enjoyed the humor of the character and didn't even think about his amazing looks or romantic appeal. (I was never keen on Spike/Dru, you see.) When Something Blue came along a bit later in 1999 I began thinking a bit differently, but it really took Fool For Love for me to look at Spike with fresh eyes. So I guess my answer is that I now value Spike for completely different things, but yes, as of 1999 and the rooftop speech Spike became a priceless comic resource for ME. If only just for that consideration, they'd have been fools to kill him. And now, of course, there is so much more reason to keep Spike around. The rooftop speech was the funniest thing ME came up with for years, equalled only by certain things involving Andrew in season 7. Clairel

2003-09-08 18:09:04-07:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (Maureen Goldman <inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net>)

2003-09-08 20:05:16+00:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (sillyman@famous.com)

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:37:24 -0400, Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@nospam.com> wrote: > >Yes, his rooftop speech. Possibly the finest moment in the entire >series, and it belongs to Spike. So how could they kill him after that? Decapitation would work.

2003-09-08 20:26:46-04:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On 8 Sep 2003 15:27:44 -0700, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: >So I guess my answer is that I now value Spike for completely >different things, but yes, as of 1999 and the rooftop speech Spike >became a priceless comic resource for ME. Spike had already proven the comedy they could mine from the character. > If only just for that >consideration, they'd have been fools to kill him. And now, of >course, there is so much more reason to keep Spike around. The >rooftop speech was the funniest thing ME came up with for years, >equalled only by certain things involving Andrew in season 7. Unfortunately, it wasn't so funny for some of us when they turned Spike in to exactly what he was railing against in that scene. Once upon a time he was a bad-ass vampire but love and a pesky chip then a soul defanged him. Now he's just a magnificent poof, a big, fluffy bunny with bad teeth. Camera pulls back to reveal Spike watching them from a rooftop above them. Spike in high voice: "How can I thank you, you mysterious, black-clad hunk of a night thing? (low voice) No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged me. Now I�m just a big, fluffy puppy with bad teeth. (Rachel steps closer to Angel, and Angel steps back warding her off with his hands) No, not the hair! Never the hair! (high voice) But there must be someway I can show my appreciation. (low voice) No, helping those in need�s my job, - and working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks enough! (high voice) I understand. I have a nephew who is gay, so "(low voice) Say no more. Evil�s still afoot! And I�m almost out of that Nancy-boy hair-gel that I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away!" Spike lights a cigarette while he watches Angel lead Rachel away. Spike: "Go on with you. Play the big, strapping hero while you can. You have a few surprises coming your way. - The ring of Amarra � a visit from your old pal Spike, - and, oh yeah, - your gruesome, horrible death." Smiles. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)

2003-09-10 10:26:24-07:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (reldevik@usa.net)

EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<i47qlv0eo57cqnfd6v552st2dndlpld167@4ax.com>... > On 8 Sep 2003 15:27:44 -0700, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > > >So I guess my answer is that I now value Spike for completely > >different things, but yes, as of 1999 and the rooftop speech Spike > >became a priceless comic resource for ME. > > Spike had already proven the comedy they could mine from the character. --To a large extent, yes. But the rooftop speech in ITD was a new high point. No previous Spike scene had ever been as funny as that. > > If only just for that > >consideration, they'd have been fools to kill him. And now, of > >course, there is so much more reason to keep Spike around. The > >rooftop speech was the funniest thing ME came up with for years, > >equalled only by certain things involving Andrew in season 7. > > Unfortunately, it wasn't so funny for some of us when they turned Spike in > to exactly what he was railing against in that scene. Once upon a time he > was a bad-ass vampire but love and a pesky chip then a soul defanged him. --Yes, that's the irony that I delight in savoring. Why does it make you so unhappy? Taste the deliciousness, savor it, treasure it! > Now he's just a magnificent poof, a big, fluffy bunny with bad teeth. --Is that what you think of Angel? Seriously? (And by the way, I think it's "puppy," not "bunny.") I would never refer so pejoratively to anyone as brave and gutsy and heroic as either Spike *or* Angel. Spike's sarcastic humor is funny in that scene, but it isn't something to take seriously. In all seriousness, champions who put themselves on the line to save others aren't poofs or bunnies or puppies. What is it about Heroic Angel and Heroic Spike that dissatisfies you so? Clairel

2003-09-10 13:54:45-04:00 - Re: The "magnificent poof" speech - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On 10 Sep 2003 10:26:24 -0700, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: >EGK <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<i47qlv0eo57cqnfd6v552st2dndlpld167@4ax.com>... >> Unfortunately, it wasn't so funny for some of us when they turned Spike in >> to exactly what he was railing against in that scene. Once upon a time he >> was a bad-ass vampire but love and a pesky chip then a soul defanged him. > >--Yes, that's the irony that I delight in savoring. Why does it make >you so unhappy? Taste the deliciousness, savor it, treasure it! It made me unhappy because i enjoyed snarky Spike and his sarcastic way of talking about Angel. It was no longer funny to me to remember Spike talking like that when he was the one who had really been defanged. >> Now he's just a magnificent poof, a big, fluffy bunny with bad teeth. > >--Is that what you think of Angel? Seriously? No, that's the point. It was Spike who wanted to believe that of Angel. They ended up making Spike even more pathetic then Spike wanted to believe Angel was. > (And by the way, I >think it's "puppy," not "bunny.") I would never refer so pejoratively >to anyone as brave and gutsy and heroic as either Spike *or* Angel. >Spike's sarcastic humor is funny in that scene, but it isn't something >to take seriously. In all seriousness, champions who put themselves >on the line to save others aren't poofs or bunnies or puppies. What >is it about Heroic Angel and Heroic Spike that dissatisfies you so? It was puppy. I quoted the whole scene at the end of my previous post. I was probably thinking of Anya and bunnies when I typed my response. I didn't take it seriously. I just no longer enjoyed Spike's character. The snarky sarcasm he had going for him was falling flat as soon as they defanged and deballed him. He was rendered pretty harmless and that's no fun. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)