FLM films - My Webpage

2004-06-01 23:02:32-05:00 - Angel - (B1026@webtv.net)

Angel, the vampire with a soul, once a demon who had humanity thrust upon him. A creature of evil, he was cursed by gypsies who restored his soul, and that last shred of goodness allowed him to seek redemption. And in this opposition, Angel and Buffy found the balance to complete themselves, but also the very reasons why they could never be together. Buffy was about duty, while Angel was about redemption. Most of the characters on Angel were seeking redemption in some way, looking to forget there past and find a course where they would matter. Even Darla found some salvation in her self-sacrifice for her child. And Spike, who began his quest for redemption on Buffy, was able to find a greater purpose as well. Spike and Angel, in their entire history together, have always been foils for each other. Angelus was intent on committing evil for evil's sake, while Spike was content on finding a good time. With souls, Angel was still at the extreme end, the champion for good, while Spike was still motivated by his own self-interest. But unlike Angel, Spike chose to restore his soul and sacrificed himself to save the world. He became a champion, and not because of a desire to restore his humanity. In fact, Spike was more concerned with the shanshu prophecy only because Angel wanted it. By signing away his shanshu rights in the series finale 'Not Fade Away', Angel made a bold statement =97 that he didn't need to become human again to prove his redemption. He is a champion, fighting the good fight to the bitter end. In embracing his duty as a champion, Angel embraced his humanity more than shanshu could allow. And in that, there is some closure, even in an open ending. Fittingly, the show went out just as its main character did, fighting to the end. The ending certainly leaves plenty to the imagination. Personally, i expect a motion picture in a couple years to wrap things up. Here's an idea, after a brief title scroll to set up the events, the film opens with the apocalyptic battle at the end of "Not Fade Away." As the team works their way through the demon hordes, the evil army is distracted when Buffy and the Slayer Army join the frey, setting the stage for a crossover plot. There is no guarantee of this happening of course, but if Whedon can convince Universal to spring for a Firefly movie, surely he can get a Buffy/Angel film off the ground. I'd be more shocked if such a project didn't materialize. Until then, we have some great memories of two great shows to live on threw DVDs and reruns on TNT and FX. bRi@N

2004-06-02 10:51:51-07:00 - Re: Angel - (himiko@animail.net)

B1026@webtv.net (bRi@N) wrote in message news:<21138-40BD5158-406@storefull-3272.bay.webtv.net>... > > Angelus was intent on committing evil for evil's sake, while Spike was > content on finding a good time. With souls, Angel was still at the > extreme end, the champion for good, while Spike was still motivated by > his own self-interest. But unlike Angel, Spike chose to restore his soul > and sacrificed himself to save the world. He became a champion, and not > because of a desire to restore his humanity. In fact, Spike was more > concerned with the shanshu prophecy only because Angel wanted it. > > By signing away his shanshu rights in the series finale 'Not Fade Away', > Angel made a bold statement that he didn't need to become human > again to prove his redemption. He is a champion, fighting the good fight > to the bitter end. In embracing his duty as a champion, Angel embraced > his humanity more than shanshu could allow. I'm not so sure. I think more that he embraced who and what he is, which is not exactly human, but it is worth being. After all, he confessed to Harmony that he can't even remember what it was like being human; I don't buy that this is contradicted by his one day with Buffy; that was too brief to be a real humanity experience. Being an unsouled vampire is probably a bit clearer in his mind as we've seen two fairly extended Angelus resurrections in the past few years. But mostly, I think Angel is just accepting that he is Angel, and that's a good thing to be, not something that should be traded away for becoming either extreme: fully human or fully evil. > And in that, there is some > closure, even in an open ending. I thought it was full closure...for the character if not the show. I feel very satisfied even if there's never any more Buffyverse stories...although I sure wouldn't mind seeing more. himiko

2004-06-02 20:11:38-05:00 - Re: Angel (himiko) - (B1026@webtv.net)

Good point. Im really gonna miss that show, more so than Buffy. So i to wouldn't mind seeing more. Greetings fellow Angel fans, my bad for not introducing myself the first time. bRi@N