FLM films - My Webpage

2003-08-27 13:48:45-07:00 - Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (reldevik@usa.net)

I haven't seen the new Dreamwatch magazine myself, so this is being relayed secondhand, but... In the new Dreamwatch, I'm told, Jeffrey Bell said the WB commissioned a poll and found only 25% of BTVS viewers watched AtS. He says that is why they wanted someone from the BtVS cast to join AtS--to bring over that audience. If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people who didn't watch AtS. I'm interested in why AtS viewers would be non-viewers of BtVS and vice versa. Clairel

2003-08-27 16:37:10-07:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

Clairel wrote: > I haven't seen the new Dreamwatch magazine myself, so this is being > relayed secondhand, but... > > In the new Dreamwatch, I'm told, Jeffrey Bell said the WB commissioned > a poll and found only 25% of BTVS viewers watched AtS. He says that is > why they wanted someone from the BtVS cast to join AtS--to bring over > that audience. > > If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a > substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people > who didn't watch AtS. > > I'm interested in why AtS viewers would be non-viewers of BtVS and > vice versa. I was an Angel watcher / Buffy non-watcher because seasons six and seven of Buffy blew chunks. I was a _former_ Buffy watcher who gave up on the show but kept watching Angel. Which is why the same creative "genius" at work in Buffy S6 & S7 being aimed at Angel makes me nervous.

2003-08-27 18:46:51-07:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (colette_wedding@hotmail.com)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0308271248.7606396c@posting.google.com>... > I haven't seen the new Dreamwatch magazine myself, so this is being > relayed secondhand, but... > > In the new Dreamwatch, I'm told, Jeffrey Bell said the WB commissioned > a poll and found only 25% of BTVS viewers watched AtS. He says that is > why they wanted someone from the BtVS cast to join AtS--to bring over > that audience. > > If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a > substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people > who didn't watch AtS. > > I'm interested in why AtS viewers would be non-viewers of BtVS and > vice versa. > > Clairel Well, I'm gonna be watching now.

2003-08-27 18:47:05-07:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

"Arnold Kim" <kim5@erols.com>, on or about Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:33:56 -0400, did you or did you not state: >"Mark Jones" <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message >news:3F4D40A6.4080708@pacifier.com... >> I was an Angel watcher / Buffy non-watcher because seasons six and seven >> of Buffy blew chunks. I was a _former_ Buffy watcher who gave up on the >> show but kept watching Angel. Which is why the same creative "genius" >> at work in Buffy S6 & S7 being aimed at Angel makes me nervous. > >One of the most common complaints in the Buffy newsgroup has been the lack >of Joss's involvement in the last couple of seasons. Yeah, but one of _my_ biggest complaints--the addition of Dawn to the show--was all Joss. Dawn didn't singlehandedly destroy the show, but when it became known that they were doing it, I knew the end was nigh. Plus, a great deal of what they did on Buffy in the last two seasons was done with the approval (if not the participation) of Joss. I fear for the future of Angel. -- "It will let you do things nobody else can do, see things nobody else can see." "_Real_ things?" --Egg Shen and Jack Burton

2003-08-27 21:33:56-04:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com>)

"Mark Jones" <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:3F4D40A6.4080708@pacifier.com... > Clairel wrote: > > I haven't seen the new Dreamwatch magazine myself, so this is being > > relayed secondhand, but... > > > > In the new Dreamwatch, I'm told, Jeffrey Bell said the WB commissioned > > a poll and found only 25% of BTVS viewers watched AtS. He says that is > > why they wanted someone from the BtVS cast to join AtS--to bring over > > that audience. > > > > If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a > > substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people > > who didn't watch AtS. > > > > I'm interested in why AtS viewers would be non-viewers of BtVS and > > vice versa. > > I was an Angel watcher / Buffy non-watcher because seasons six and seven > of Buffy blew chunks. I was a _former_ Buffy watcher who gave up on the > show but kept watching Angel. Which is why the same creative "genius" > at work in Buffy S6 & S7 being aimed at Angel makes me nervous. One of the most common complaints in the Buffy newsgroup has been the lack of Joss's involvement in the last couple of seasons. Arnold Kim

2003-08-28 05:58:43+00:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (himiko@no-spam.com)

In article <1faed770.0308271248.7606396c@posting.google.com>, Clairel <reldevik@usa.net> writes: >I haven't seen the new Dreamwatch magazine myself, so this is being >relayed secondhand, but... > >In the new Dreamwatch, I'm told, Jeffrey Bell said the WB commissioned >a poll and found only 25% of BTVS viewers watched AtS. He says that is >why they wanted someone from the BtVS cast to join AtS--to bring over >that audience. > >If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a >substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people >who didn't watch AtS. > >I'm interested in why AtS viewers would be non-viewers of BtVS and >vice versa. Well, they are very different kinds of shows. BTVS was a genre of its own, while AtS was a much more typical action adventure show...a good one with nice touches of comedy and drama, and occasional flashes of real originality. At least, that was true of the first 2 seasons, and I suspect that more BTVS viewers tuned in then especially since it came right after BTVS. S3-4 showed more of the flair I expect from ME, but by then they may have lost a fair number of the BTVS crowd. I'm not sure if it will draw them even now; it's still a very different feel from BTVS. I must admit though, that 25% really surprises me. himiko ----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web ----- http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email abuse@newsone.net

2003-08-28 08:41:22-07:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (reldevik@usa.net)

Just noticed a stupid typo of mine. Correction at bottom: reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0308271248.7606396c@posting.google.com>... > I haven't seen the new Dreamwatch magazine myself, so this is being > relayed secondhand, but... > > In the new Dreamwatch, I'm told, Jeffrey Bell said the WB commissioned > a poll and found only 25% of BTVS viewers watched AtS. He says that is > why they wanted someone from the BtVS cast to join AtS--to bring over > that audience. > > If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a > substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people > who didn't watch AtS. > > I'm interested in why AtS viewers would be non-viewers of BtVS and > vice versa. > > Clairel Let me try that third paragraph over again: "If only 25% of the BtVS audience watched AtS, then I figure a substantial part of the AtS audience must have been made up of people who didn't watch BtVS." That makes a lot more sense, doesn't it? Clairel

2003-08-28 09:05:15-07:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Mark Jones <sinanju@pacifier.com>)

Arnold Kim wrote: > "Mark Jones" <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message >>Yeah, but one of _my_ biggest complaints--the addition of Dawn to the >>show--was all Joss. Dawn didn't singlehandedly destroy the show, but >>when it became known that they were doing it, I knew the end was nigh. >>Plus, a great deal of what they did on Buffy in the last two seasons >>was done with the approval (if not the participation) of Joss. > > Same thing with Angel since it started. True, but they didn't break me of watching Angel (yet); but things on Buffy got stupid and painful enough that I stopped watching.

2003-08-28 11:53:09-04:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com>)

"Mark Jones" <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message news:eknqkvsas3973g4sb86052smnh37c7b5g3@4ax.com... > "Arnold Kim" <kim5@erols.com>, on or about Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:33:56 > -0400, did you or did you not state: > > >"Mark Jones" <sinanju@pacifier.com> wrote in message > >news:3F4D40A6.4080708@pacifier.com... > > >> I was an Angel watcher / Buffy non-watcher because seasons six and seven > >> of Buffy blew chunks. I was a _former_ Buffy watcher who gave up on the > >> show but kept watching Angel. Which is why the same creative "genius" > >> at work in Buffy S6 & S7 being aimed at Angel makes me nervous. > > > >One of the most common complaints in the Buffy newsgroup has been the lack > >of Joss's involvement in the last couple of seasons. > > Yeah, but one of _my_ biggest complaints--the addition of Dawn to the > show--was all Joss. Dawn didn't singlehandedly destroy the show, but > when it became known that they were doing it, I knew the end was nigh. > Plus, a great deal of what they did on Buffy in the last two seasons > was done with the approval (if not the participation) of Joss. Same thing with Angel since it started. Arnold Kim

2003-08-28 11:56:53-04:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com>)

"PJ Browning" <antarian@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:280820030829014528%antarian@pacbell.net... > In article <t9qrkv0rqcmlgn7efmv0n5huu46icgg53u@4ax.com>, st > <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > > > I like Spike very much. If ME plays their cards right they could have > > a very potent mix on their hands this season. And since the season > > hasn't even started yet, chicken littling is a bit pre-mature. > > other than Buffy, none of the other characters has the chemistry and > back story that Spike has with Angel to bring some fun into the mix. > There's the olden days, there's the sharing a girl, there's the soul > thing. There's the cracks about his 'nancy boy hair gel'. Anyone else > would get real old real fast. But not Spike. He is of all the > characters, really the best one they could bring over. I think that Xander might have also been a good choice. Yes, he never really liked Angel and was in fact a little jealous of him, but that's what makes it so right. The tension between the characters can be a dramatic and comic gold mine. Arnold Kim

2003-08-28 15:28:12+00:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net>)

2003-08-28 15:34:13-07:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (reldevik@usa.net)

PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<280820030951512727%antarian@pacbell.net>... > In article <bil8o9$15i$1@bob.news.rcn.net>, Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com> > wrote: > > > > > I think that Xander might have also been a good choice. Yes, he never > > really liked Angel and was in fact a little jealous of him, but that's what > > makes it so right. The tension between the characters can be a dramatic and > > comic gold mine. > > The whole Xander v Angel thing would get old real fast. Plus Xander has > little to offer the group in terms of variety or skills. --That's what always puzzled me about Xander. He wanted to be a Slayerette and contribute to the Slayer's demon-fighting effort. Yet he made no effort to learn fighting skills. Contrast Xander against Gunn; look at how much initiative Gunn showed, to protect his friends and his neighborhood. (And that's not even counting Gunn's new skills this fall--I just mean in the past.) So, much as I would enjoy seeing Xander bicker with both Angel and Spike, I can't see what he would contribute to the *mission* that the rest of the characters are striving to fulfill. I mean, he could settle in LA and get carpentry jobs there, but how would that involve him in AI's heroic efforts? Clairel

2003-08-28 16:51:02+00:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net>)

In article <bil8o9$15i$1@bob.news.rcn.net>, Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com> wrote: > > I think that Xander might have also been a good choice. Yes, he never > really liked Angel and was in fact a little jealous of him, but that's what > makes it so right. The tension between the characters can be a dramatic and > comic gold mine. The whole Xander v Angel thing would get old real fast. Plus Xander has little to offer the group in terms of variety or skills.

2003-08-28 19:27:25-04:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net>)

In article <1faed770.0308281434.4e83822a@posting.google.com>, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net> wrote in message > news:<280820030951512727%antarian@pacbell.net>... > > In article <bil8o9$15i$1@bob.news.rcn.net>, Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com> > > wrote: > > > > > > > > I think that Xander might have also been a good choice. Yes, he never > > > really liked Angel and was in fact a little jealous of him, but that's > > > what > > > makes it so right. The tension between the characters can be a dramatic > > > and > > > comic gold mine. > > > > The whole Xander v Angel thing would get old real fast. Plus Xander has > > little to offer the group in terms of variety or skills. > > --That's what always puzzled me about Xander. He wanted to be a > Slayerette and contribute to the Slayer's demon-fighting effort. Yet > he made no effort to learn fighting skills. Contrast Xander against > Gunn; look at how much initiative Gunn showed, to protect his friends > and his neighborhood. (And that's not even counting Gunn's new skills > this fall--I just mean in the past.) So, much as I would enjoy seeing > Xander bicker with both Angel and Spike, I can't see what he would > contribute to the *mission* that the rest of the characters are > striving to fulfill. > > I mean, he could settle in LA and get carpentry jobs there, but how > would that involve him in AI's heroic efforts? I don't know.... how many times did AI's heroic efforts trash Lorne's bar or the hotel? Hero's need to have a roof over their heads too and Xander is just the man to make sure it doesn't crash down on their heads. :) -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snuggles, not Shuggie -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-08-29 18:04:55+00:00 - Re: Only 25% of BtVS viewers watched AtS? - (pence234@aol.comwhomp)

I almost never watched Angel.... Now, because of Spike, I will do so. I guess that puts me in the 75 per cent... PB