FLM films - My Webpage

2004-06-13 19:03:41+00:00 - RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (thebinary@aol.composition)

man, good effects, and action sequences, why do they bother having plots anymore.....it shoulda been called "Vin Diesel Running and kicking a lot of ass"... even worse the plot ripped off of dune! Aural aesthetics can be found at: www.Cesium137.com AND www.Metropolis-Records.com compositions available thru: www.industrial-music.com www.isotank.com or at other nifty little stores

2004-06-13 19:28:25+00:00 - Re: RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (TMA <starfire75_50501@hotmail.com>)

I, personally, loved the movie. Pitch Black is my favorite movie and now the Chronicles of Riddick my take it's place. Have to go see it a second time to make sure. The director cut out 50 minutes out of the movie and will be in the director's cut DVD. Can't wait until then. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I respect yours. To each his own as they always say. "Isaac G." <thebinary@aol.composition> wrote in message news:20040613150341.02266.00000963@mb-m14.aol.com... > man, good effects, and action sequences, why do they bother having plots > anymore.....it shoulda been called "Vin Diesel Running and kicking a lot of > ass"... > even worse the plot ripped off of dune! > > Aural aesthetics can be found at: > www.Cesium137.com AND www.Metropolis-Records.com > > compositions available thru: > www.industrial-music.com www.isotank.com > or at other nifty little stores

2004-06-13 19:32:35-04:00 - Re: RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (nfway <me@here.com>)

In article <20040613150341.02266.00000963@mb-m14.aol.com>, thebinary@aol.composition says... > man, good effects, and action sequences, why do they bother having plots > anymore.....it shoulda been called "Vin Diesel Running and kicking a lot of > ass"... > even worse the plot ripped off of dune! > > Aural aesthetics can be found at: > www.Cesium137.com AND www.Metropolis-Records.com > > compositions available thru: > www.industrial-music.com www.isotank.com > or at other nifty little stores > It was done better than Dune (especially the SciFi Channel version), plus it has Alexa Davaros swinging from chains and cliffs. It was grittier than her role in Ats, and she looked good doing it. What's not to like? Aren't all Vin Diesel movies essentially just him "Running and kicking a lot of ass"? The story had the same plot as most genre movies: unlikely anti-hero saves the universe while kicking, running, jumping, killing, with one or more hot young women and men in supporting roles. Sometimes the dialog is even liberally spinkled with a few good catch phrases. Arnie has "I'll be back / asta la vista"; Vin has "How Interesting." I wasn't dissappointed.

2004-06-15 02:50:21+00:00 - Re: RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (thebinary@aol.composition)

2004-06-16 11:14:35-07:00 - Re: RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (canned response <favfoodofthemasses@massconsumption.com>)

I am at a loss as to how Riddick comes close to resembling the Dune series whatsoever, less as to how it could possibly be "better"? (BTW, a topic about Dune.. in a Charmed newsgroup... I guess stranger things have happened! LOL!) "Isaac G." <thebinary@aol.composition> wrote in message news:20040614225021.16349.00001090@mb-m29.aol.com... > >t was done better than Dune (especially the SciFi Channel version), > > i disagree, the original dune was ahead of its time and certainly set the pace > for this flick > > Aural aesthetics can be found at: > www.Cesium137.com AND www.Metropolis-Records.com > > compositions available thru: > www.industrial-music.com www.isotank.com > or at other nifty little stores

2004-06-17 07:28:07-07:00 - Re: RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (reldevik@usa.net)

"canned response" <favfoodofthemasses@massconsumption.com> wrote in message news:<caq2nc$27v0$1@news.wplus.net>... > I am at a loss as to how Riddick comes close to resembling the Dune series > whatsoever, less as to how it could possibly be "better"? (BTW, a topic > about Dune.. in a Charmed newsgroup... I guess stranger things have > happened! LOL!) --I came across this thread on the Angel newsgroup. Having just seen The Chronicles of Riddick, I agree that I too don't see any resemblance between it and Dune. I like The Chronicles of Riddick much better than Dune, actually. And although the action scenes with Vin Diesel were very good, I really think there's a lot more to this movie than just Vin Diesel kicking ass. The SF concepts involving the Necromongers and what they were trying to do are very interesting; they reminded me of medieval millennarians, taken to an extreme. The mystery of Riddick's origin as a "Furian" is intriguing. The visual conceptualizations of the Necromongers' ships, uniforms, buildings, etc., were very well done, really excellent. I don't see why anybody would be flippant and dismissive about this movie. And for the benefit of Angel fans it should be pointed out that the character Kyra was played by Alexa Davalos, who was Gwen Raiden last year on Angel. Clairel

2004-06-18 14:58:25+00:00 - Re: RIDDICK.....the poorman's DUNE - (Shawn H <shill#@fas.harvard.edu>)

Clairel <reldevik@usa.net> wrote: : "canned response" <favfoodofthemasses@massconsumption.com> wrote in message news:<caq2nc$27v0$1@news.wplus.net>... : > I am at a loss as to how Riddick comes close to resembling the Dune series : > whatsoever, less as to how it could possibly be "better"? (BTW, a topic : > about Dune.. in a Charmed newsgroup... I guess stranger things have : > happened! LOL!) : --I came across this thread on the Angel newsgroup. Having just seen : The Chronicles of Riddick, I agree that I too don't see any : resemblance between it and Dune. I like The Chronicles of Riddick : much better than Dune, actually. The final conflict, with the royal family assembled to witness the upstart fight their champion, recalled the climax of Dune very much. Also the impressive, overwrought visual design (though more in its cohesiveness than in particular details). There was also a (sort of) desert planet, where the residents lived in subterranean caverns, and a grand powerplay that affected worlds, with characteristic themes of religion and bodily violation. : And although the action scenes with Vin Diesel were very good, I : really think there's a lot more to this movie than just Vin Diesel : kicking ass. The SF concepts involving the Necromongers and what they : were trying to do are very interesting; they reminded me of medieval : millennarians, taken to an extreme. The mystery of Riddick's origin : as a "Furian" is intriguing. The visual conceptualizations of the : Necromongers' ships, uniforms, buildings, etc., were very well done, : really excellent. Agreed. : I don't see why anybody would be flippant and dismissive about this : movie. Because they don't get sci-fi, and because Vin seems brutish. : And for the benefit of Angel fans it should be pointed out that the : character Kyra was played by Alexa Davalos, who was Gwen Raiden last : year on Angel. Very intriguingly, too. Goodness, that girl is athletic! Shawn