FLM films - My Webpage

2004-06-14 15:33:48-07:00 - Jordan Levin "resigns" - (himiko@animail.net)

Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an independent "creative" producer. The full story is at: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. himiko

2004-06-14 16:04:59-07:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On 14 Jun 2004 15:33:48 -0700, himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote: >Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and >the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an >independent "creative" producer. > >The full story is at: > >http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 > >I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or >worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? > >Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. Garth Ancier was with Jamie Kellner when he founded the Fox Televsion Network and went with him when he started up the WB Network. Levin joined them in starting up the WB, coming from ABC/Disney, where he had been a creator of, among other shows, the original Ellen sitcom and Boy Meets World. Kellner was Chairman of the WB with Ancier as his primary developement person and Levin as the broadcasting director. When Kellner decided to semi-retire, Ancier and Levin became co-Chairmen (with Ancier generally in charge of the the strategic end and Levin in charge of the operational end). The article in HR indicates that Time/Warner decided that Ancier become sole Chairman and asked Levin to move back into the position of broadcasting director. Levin opted not to. Before getting too overjoyed, keep in mind that Ancier has been with the WB as long as Levin (i.e. from the beginning). Ancier takes credit for having Gellar read for Buffy when she came in to read for Cordelia (his version is significantly different from Whedon's or Gellar's, which are also different from each other). -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2004-06-14 17:49:56-07:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Anne <anneb@intergate.ca>)

---------- In article <c7902983.0406141433.41e3c325@posting.google.com>, himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote: > Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and > the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an > independent "creative" producer. > himiko cough*karma*cough

2004-06-14 18:49:10-04:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Eric Hunter <hunter90@comcast.not>)

himiko wrote: > Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and > the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an > independent "creative" producer. > > The full story is at: > > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 > > I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or > worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? > > Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/ricki/about.php?A=about1 He's worked at NBC, Fox, the WB, NBC again, and Turner Broadcasting. " In 1986, Ancier was named by FOX as the network's first programming chief. While there, he and his colleagues were instrumental in overseeing the development of such hit series as The Simpsons, Married.with Children and In Living Color. Ancier most recently joined NBC from the WB Network, where he served as President, Entertainment since 1994. During his stint at the WB, Ancier was credited with developing several of the most distinctive and popular series currently on television, including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, 7th Heaven and Felicity. " E. --

2004-06-14 19:31:32-04:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (forge <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com>)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:55:24 GMT, tsd@tetris.gpcc.itd.umich.edu (Tammy Stephanie Davis) wrote: >I wonder if this has any impact on the chances of there being an Angel movie? Yes, they've gone from "snowball in Hell" to "snowball in a blast furnace."

2004-06-14 22:55:24+00:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (tsd@tetris.gpcc.itd.umich.edu)

In article <c7902983.0406141433.41e3c325@posting.google.com>, himiko <himiko@animail.net> wrote: :Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and :the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an :independent "creative" producer. : :The full story is at: : :http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 : :I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or :worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? : :Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. I wonder if this has any impact on the chances of there being an Angel movie? --

2004-06-14 22:58:28+00:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Martin Easterbrook <uad1104@dircon.co.uk>)

"himiko" <himiko@animail.net> wrote in message news:c7902983.0406141433.41e3c325@posting.google.com... > Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and > the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an > independent "creative" producer. > > The full story is at: > > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 > > I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or > worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? > According to this link he was involved in casting SMG as Buffy; http://www.smgfan.com/articles/i67.htm Martin E

2004-06-15 01:24:53-07:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Chris@nospam.com)

In article <c7902983.0406141433.41e3c325@posting.google.com>, himiko <himiko@animail.net> wrote: > Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and > the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an > independent "creative" producer. > > The full story is at: > > > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=100053 > 1310 > > I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or > worse. he's not really a 'new guy'. he's been there all along I do know that he's claimed several brillant decisions were his idea (changing Sarah from Cordy to Buffy is one) and he's been vocal in his support of decisions to axe several poor to mediocre shows despite cult followings. Basically, creative hyperbole aside, he seems to be rather good at his job and will do just as good if not better than Jordan. Given his comments last year when Tarzan was cut (he wanted to cut it after the drop in ratings for the second ep came in), I'd say that he was likely the biggest voice against the network trying to do another franchise show, which was the smartest move the network has made in the last few months.

2004-06-15 09:54:42-07:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:13:49 -0400, Amy Gray <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote: >On 14 Jun 2004 15:33:48 -0700, himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote: > >>Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and >>the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an >>independent "creative" producer. >> >>The full story is at: >> >>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 >> >>I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or >>worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? >> >>Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. >Me thinks Levin's replacement is going to be Les Monves who recently >left CBS. 1) Moonves didn't 'leave' CBS, he moved into a higher level position. The person who got his old job title reports to him. The guy doing all the talking at CBS (and UPN) upfronts in May was still Moonves. 2)Moonves is a lot bigger fish than Levin and Levin wouldn't accept that step down. -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2004-06-15 10:13:49-04:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Amy Gray <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

On 14 Jun 2004 15:33:48 -0700, himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote: >Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and >the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an >independent "creative" producer. > >The full story is at: > >http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 > >I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or >worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? > >Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. Me thinks Levin's replacement is going to be Les Monves who recently left CBS. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

2004-06-15 12:16:31-07:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (reldevik@usa.net)

himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote in message news:<c7902983.0406141433.41e3c325@posting.google.com>... > Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and > the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an > independent "creative" producer. > > The full story is at: > > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000531310 > > I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or > worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? > > Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. --And maybe we've been blaming the wrong person for AtS's cancellation. I've heard it argued that Jordan Levin was a big Angel supporter, and as long as his word had lots of weight at the WB, AtS survived because of that; but by the middle of season 5 it was clear to insiders that Levin was on the way out, and so his word no longer had as much weight, and so AtS didn't get the season 6 that it would have gotten if Levin had remained as powerful as he used to be. In other words, Levin didn't want to cancel AtS but he couldn't stop the cancellation because he was already on the way out anyway. I didn't come up with that reasoning, but it sounds plausible to me. And it makes me think that the WB is going to be even less Buffyverse-friendly now than it was before. I really wonder about an Angel TV movie or a Spike TV movie ever occurring now. Clairel

2004-06-15 14:29:29+00:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Steven Blue <steven_blue@yahoo.com>)

Too bad he didn't quit back in like February. And the new guy immediatley allowed Angel to return for another season. *sigh* wishful thinking =( After watching Buffy Season 6 (which I thought was awesome). It made me realize how sad it'll be not to have a backup to watch next season. No buffy no Angel no buffyverse. Oh well back to watching Alias...........

2004-06-15 14:35:33-04:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Amy Gray <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:54:42 -0700, William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: >>Me thinks Levin's replacement is going to be Les Monves who recently >>left CBS. > >1) Moonves didn't 'leave' CBS, he moved into a higher level position. >The person who got his old job title reports to him. > >The guy doing all the talking at CBS (and UPN) upfronts in May was still >Moonves. > >2)Moonves is a lot bigger fish than Levin and Levin wouldn't accept that >step down. Sorry about that....meant Karmazin. TV Guide On Line: EXEC SHUFFLE: Media giant Viacom announced today that Mel Karmazin is resigning as president and chief operating officer. Tom Freston and Leslie Moonves � who head up Viacom's MTV and CBS divisions, respectively � have been tapped to succeed him. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

2004-06-15 14:43:42-04:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (HeKS <heks_@hotmail.com>)

"Tammy Stephanie Davis" <tsd@tetris.gpcc.itd.umich.edu> wrote in message news:w1qzc.109$gs.1266@news.itd.umich.edu... > In article <c7902983.0406141433.41e3c325@posting.google.com>, > himiko <himiko@animail.net> wrote: > :Sounds more like he was pushed out, albeit with a golden parachute and > :the opportunity to ruin other aspects of WB programming as an > :independent "creative" producer. > : > :The full story is at: > : > :http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=100 0531310 > : > :I don't know if the new guy, Garth Ancier, is going to be better or > :worse. Anyone know who/what this guy is? > : > :Maybe Angel did slay that dragon after all. > > I wonder if this has any impact on the chances of there being an Angel movie? The WB network won't have anything to do with an ANGEL feature film. But Garth is an ANGEL fan and likely would not have decided to cancel the show had this shift in management taken place a few months ago. It bodes well for future Buffyverse projects on the network if Joss is willing to work with them again. That seemed very unlikely as long as Levin was in the mix, but now that he's gone, you never know. HeKS

2004-06-16 05:13:47+00:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (dalecue <pdgill@worldnet.spamex.net>)

forge wrote in message ... >On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:55:24 GMT, tsd@tetris.gpcc.itd.umich.edu (Tammy >Stephanie Davis) wrote: > >>I wonder if this has any impact on the chances of there being an Angel movie? > >Yes, they've gone from "snowball in Hell" to "snowball in a blast >furnace." not to be too picky - but I would say the chances are only up to the "snowball in a nuclear reactor" stage it will take several more miracles to reach the "blast furnace" stage just my opinion Dale

2004-06-17 12:38:56-07:00 - Re: Jordan Levin "resigns" - (Chris@nospam.com)

In article <1faed770.0406151116.3a4a556f@posting.google.com>, Clairel <reldevik@usa.net> wrote: > I've heard it argued that Jordan Levin was a big Angel supporter, and > as long as his word had lots of weight at the WB, AtS survived because > of that; but by the middle of season 5 it was clear to insiders that > Levin was on the way out, and so his word no longer had as much > weight, and so AtS didn't get the season 6 that it would have gotten > if Levin had remained as powerful as he used to be. In other words, > Levin didn't want to cancel AtS but he couldn't stop the cancellation > because he was already on the way out anyway. I suspect that you are right. Ancier was the other guy sharing control and he seems to be very hip to kill shows that don't make the ratings mark. Back last fall, when Tarzan's 3rd ep got lower ratings than the week before (which was lower than the under the needed mark pilot), Ancier was all for killing the show right then. He's admitted this. Levin argued for a bit more time. Folks agreed with Levin and it wasn't until two more weeks of dropping ratings that the show was killed and even then they didn't do it outright but used the so called "just on hiatus". Jump to Feb and it's 99.9% sure that Levin isn't going to be the pick for topdog under the new management (who is more in line with Ancier's way of thinking). They are discussing Angel. The Network was very clear about the fact that they expected higher ratings over previous years. The show got it at first but by then was back to the old levels. Levin is saying "but it's a devoted fanbase, blah blah", Ancier is saying "We said we wanted higher ratings, we promised the advertisers higher ratings, they aren't cutting it" and who idoes the new big dog listen to. Ancier, who thinks like he does anyway and is his pick for running the network in a new streamlined one man show (rather than the whole split thing). They offer Levin the old post of Entertainment President back but that's actual something of an insult since it's a big step backwards for Levin and he gets out to do something independent and creative (which fits his way of thinking better anyway)