FLM films - My Webpage

2004-04-05 15:32:14-07:00 - Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (reldevik@usa.net)

That's what Goddard and Fury said in the season 7 DVD commentary on LMPTM. Drew Goddard said, "In another life they probably could have been friends, Spike and Wood." And David Fury added, "I think if the show had continued and Spike had not sacrificed himself that it probably would have happened." So I guess in the off-screen future, if Wood were to come to LA or wherever Spike will be living after the end of AtS, Spike and Wood could still become friends. Interesting idea, eh? Clairel

2004-04-05 20:25:49-07:00 - Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (himiko@animail.net)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0404051432.698c45c1@posting.google.com>... > That's what Goddard and Fury said in the season 7 DVD commentary on > LMPTM. > > Drew Goddard said, "In another life they probably could have been > friends, Spike and Wood." And David Fury added, "I think if the show > had continued and Spike had not sacrificed himself that it probably > would have happened." > > So I guess in the off-screen future, if Wood were to come to LA or > wherever Spike will be living after the end of AtS, Spike and Wood > could still become friends. > > Interesting idea, eh? > > Clairel I can't see it, "in another life" suggests that if Spike had not killed Wood's mother, the two might have been friends. I guess DG sees them as similar personalities who might admire each other. That's certainly possible. But in this life and unlife, Spike DID kill Nikki and I don't see Wood getting over that to the point of friendship. He might certainly ally with Spike and intellectually understand and get past that killing...as Giles got past the killing of Jenny with Angel. But actual friendship? I don't think so, DF. himiko

2004-04-05 23:01:11+00:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (alanesue@aol.com)

>Subject: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? >From: reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) >So I guess in the off-screen future, if Wood were to come to LA or >wherever Spike will be living after the end of AtS, Spike and Wood >could still become friends. Personally I can't see it. I love Spike, and I personally abhorred the sneaky way Wood went about trying to do him in. *But* Spike did murder Wood's mother -- a woman who even Ensouled!Spike said he didn't give a hoot about. Many of us can't imagine Giles and Angel ever being pals after what Angel did to Jenny. I have an equally difficult time seeing Wood with a forgiving attitude toward the vampire who snapped his mother's neck and then took her coat -- and still wears it 30 years later. I could see Wood and Spike reaching an uneasy truce to defeat a common enemy. But friends? I think that would be expecting too much from Wood, unless he had some kind of religious experience. Alane

2004-04-06 01:35:21-04:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (DJensen <me@no-spam-thanks.net>)

Chris Zabel wrote: > Thank God that season 8 never happened. I wonder what other "great ideas" > they had in mind. Andrew and Dawn, anyone? -- DJensen

2004-04-06 05:25:38+00:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (Chris Zabel <alephnull@earthlink.net>)

Thank God that season 8 never happened. I wonder what other "great ideas" they had in mind. -- "They tease me now, telling me it was only a dream. But does it matter whether it was a dream or reality, if the dream made known to me the truth?" - Dostoevsky

2004-04-06 05:40:21-07:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (soylent_purple@hotmail.com)

himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote in message news:<c7902983.0404051925.1471cfc3@posting.google.com>... > I can't see it, "in another life" suggests that if Spike had not > killed Wood's mother, the two might have been friends. I think you hit the nail right on the head, himiko. The comment was not a literal statement that Wood could forgive Spike for killing his mother, but a figurative statement comparing the two personalities. Wood's main problem, lucky for Spike, was that Wood wanted a grandiose revenge. He wanted to best Spike the way his mother could not - by beating him with his fists. He could have just as easily shot Spike in the back with a crossbow, or tossed a few grenades into the "room of crosses" (aka. Riley). But the fact that he wanted to see Spike suffer before he dusted made him like Spike.

2004-04-06 12:55:52-07:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (reldevik@usa.net)

soylent_purple@hotmail.com (Roy. Just Roy.) wrote in message news:<da6fca96.0404060440.56d12043@posting.google.com>... > himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote in message news:<c7902983.0404051925.1471cfc3@posting.google.com>... > > > I can't see it, "in another life" suggests that if Spike had not > > killed Wood's mother, the two might have been friends. > > I think you hit the nail right on the head, himiko. The comment was > not a literal statement that Wood could forgive Spike for killing his > mother, but a figurative statement comparing the two personalities. > > Wood's main problem, lucky for Spike, was that Wood wanted a grandiose > revenge. He wanted to best Spike the way his mother could not - by > beating him with his fists. He could have just as easily shot Spike in > the back with a crossbow, or tossed a few grenades into the "room of > crosses" (aka. Riley). But the fact that he wanted to see Spike suffer > before he dusted made him like Spike. --I don't understand the use of the word "like" in the last sentence. This made Wood similar to Spike? Or this made Wood fond of Spike? Neither one really fits. Wood certainly wasn't fond of Spike, and Spike in season 7 (Spike with a soul) wasn't the sort to enjoy anybody's suffering. On another point, Fury's statement, though not Goddard's, certainly does address events as they actually happened--not "in another life" but in a universe in which Spike's and Wood's past history was what it was, but Spike just didn't die. Fury thinks if Wood and Spike remained in contact, even after all their past history, they could become friends. Clairel Clairel

2004-04-07 01:05:55-04:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (HeKS <heks_@hotmail.com>)

Umm, actually, Robin Wood IS in L.A. right now . . . on "24" : ) He's gotten in tight with the Pres. HeKS "Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message news:1faed770.0404051432.698c45c1@posting.google.com... > That's what Goddard and Fury said in the season 7 DVD commentary on > LMPTM. > > Drew Goddard said, "In another life they probably could have been > friends, Spike and Wood." And David Fury added, "I think if the show > had continued and Spike had not sacrificed himself that it probably > would have happened." > > So I guess in the off-screen future, if Wood were to come to LA or > wherever Spike will be living after the end of AtS, Spike and Wood > could still become friends. > > Interesting idea, eh? > > Clairel

2004-04-11 08:09:51+00:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2004-04-12 20:31:58-07:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (Rob <none@none.com>)

"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message news:1faed770.0404061155.6295255d@posting.google.com... > soylent_purple@hotmail.com (Roy. Just Roy.) wrote in message news:<da6fca96.0404060440.56d12043@posting.google.com>... > > himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote in message news:<c7902983.0404051925.1471cfc3@posting.google.com>... > > --I don't understand the use of the word "like" in the last sentence. > This made Wood similar to Spike? Or this made Wood fond of Spike? I think the other poster meant alike. > Neither one really fits. Wood certainly wasn't fond of Spike, and > Spike in season 7 (Spike with a soul) wasn't the sort to enjoy > anybody's suffering. But, he did. Spike wasn't changed all that much. He had a period where he was repressing his demon and didn't like to see others in pain, but he got over that. Although Spike really didn't enjoy the suffering of others, that was Angel's thing. Spike got off on the kill itself. The soul didn't change that, at least not after he stopped repressing his inner-demon in 'Get it Done'. Remember the line that was something like 'A [fight] like that is good for the soul'. He may have a stronger moral compass that makes him more selective in who he kills, but he's still essentially Spike, soul or no. > On another point, Fury's statement, though not Goddard's, certainly > does address events as they actually happened--not "in another life" > but in a universe in which Spike's and Wood's past history was what it > was, but Spike just didn't die. Fury thinks if Wood and Spike > remained in contact, even after all their past history, they could > become friends. I don't know if they could've been so much friends, but possibly allies or something of the sort. There would always be the death of Wood's mother that would drive a rift between them, but they could have gotten along and worked together in some sense. I really think Wood was a big enough of a person to make that work. Early on he was struggling with the idea of whether or not to kill Spike now that he was ensouled, and after the first attempt, and Spike was no longer a danger, he did give up and focused on more important things.

2004-04-17 14:59:58-04:00 - Re: Spike and Robin Wood could have become friends? - (David Cheatham <david@tg.creeknet.com>)

In article <ukrcc.17125$wq4.909373@news20.bellglobal.com>, DJensen wrote: > > > Chris Zabel wrote: >> Thank God that season 8 never happened. I wonder what other "great ideas" >> they had in mind. > > Andrew and Dawn, anyone? Too many Mary Ann jokes there situation.