FLM films - My Webpage

2004-01-14 21:15:40-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (tike316 <tike316@cox.net>)

Just finished reading an Aliens Vs. Predator novel on a plane flight. My wife found it funny when my head popped up at the mention of Weyland-Yutani. Also curious as to how many others got the reference. "Joseph S. Powell, III" <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote in message news:100c6btbq56f03f@corp.supernews.com... > Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > and Bake Colony".... > Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > working there...). > > I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > >

2004-01-14 21:21:42-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - ("Bob L." <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com>)

Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's initial opening weekend. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake >and Bake Colony".... >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be >working there...). > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). >

2004-01-14 22:35:34-06:00 - Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - ("Joseph S. Powell, III" <jpowell180@charter.net>)

2004-01-15 00:49:50-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>, Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote: > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". And according to the TNG tech manual, they made the Enterprise's engines too. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2004-01-15 07:54:59-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > initial opening weekend. > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > >and Bake Colony".... > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > >working there...). > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). --Buckaroo Banzai (cf. the Yoyodyne mention) was longer ago than that. I was just taken aback to realize it's been a full twenty years since Buckaroo Banzai came out (man, I love that movie). Seems like only yesterday to me. Clairel

2004-01-15 09:58:09-06:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Avatar <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com>)

On 15 Jan 2004 07:54:59 -0800, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: >Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... >> Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the >> Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo >> Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". >> >> As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox >> /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running >> a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or >> for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan >> A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's >> initial opening weekend. >> >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" >> <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: >> >> >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp >> >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ >> >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much >> >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a >> >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake >> >and Bake Colony".... >> >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel >> >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be >> >working there...). >> > >> >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani >> >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts >> >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > >--Buckaroo Banzai (cf. the Yoyodyne mention) was longer ago than that. > I was just taken aback to realize it's been a full twenty years since >Buckaroo Banzai came out (man, I love that movie). Seems like only >yesterday to me. > >Clairel Always remember... No matter where you go, there you are. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sooner or later, all of our names wind up on a Post-It. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004-01-15 10:39:49-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

Avatar <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message news:<l3ed009cir92r70ocj9uqpadf7pic3os0m@4ax.com>... > On 15 Jan 2004 07:54:59 -0800, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > >Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > >> Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > >> Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > >> Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > >> > >> As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > >> /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > >> a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > >> for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > >> A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > >> initial opening weekend. > >> > >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > >> <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > >> > >> >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > >> >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > >> >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > >> >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > >> >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > >> >and Bake Colony".... > >> >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > >> >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > >> >working there...). > >> > > >> >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > >> >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > >> >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > > > >--Buckaroo Banzai (cf. the Yoyodyne mention) was longer ago than that. > > I was just taken aback to realize it's been a full twenty years since > >Buckaroo Banzai came out (man, I love that movie). Seems like only > >yesterday to me. > > > >Clairel > > Always remember... No matter where you go, there you are. --The deuce you say. Buckaroo Banzai was the first movie DVD I ever bought. It kills me that they never made the promised sequel (Buckaroo Banzai versus the World Crime League). Clairel

2004-01-15 12:22:24+00:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

In article <100c6btbq56f03f@corp.supernews.com>, "Joseph S. Powell, III" <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty > much have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 > (a colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a > "Shake and Bake Colony".... > Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt > Angel will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > working there...). > > I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). Don't forget-- they mentioned Yoyodyne Corp also.

2004-01-15 17:04:48-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - ("Bob L." <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com>)

On 15 Jan 2004 10:39:49 -0800, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: >Buckaroo Banzai was the first movie DVD I ever bought. It kills me >that they never made the promised sequel (Buckaroo Banzai versus the >World Crime League). Blame the suits of Columbia Pictures, who wanted to wipe away all remains of a previous executive's legacy, which included "...Banzai..." and it's planned sequel (this told to me by actor Bill Henderson , who played Casper Lindley, father of Blue Blazer Irregular Scooter Lindley (the little kid with the automatic rifle trained on the secretary of defense during the Yoyodyne assault). There is a great gag in the last closing credits of Mark Altman's classic film, "Free Enterprise", which states "Bill Shatner will be back in "Bill Shatner Versus the World Crime League"

2004-01-15 21:33:01-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (cocolikes1@netscape.net)

Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > initial opening weekend. > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > >and Bake Colony".... > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > >working there...). > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai references? Pah-leaze.

2004-01-15 23:02:20-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (forge <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com>)

On 15 Jan 2004 07:54:59 -0800, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: >--Buckaroo Banzai (cf. the Yoyodyne mention) was longer ago than that. > I was just taken aback to realize it's been a full twenty years since >Buckaroo Banzai came out (man, I love that movie). Seems like only >yesterday to me. My thirty-year-old roomie just watched my DVD and saw BB for the very first time. I could not believe that any fan of sci-fi and Buffy could make it to 30 without having seen Buckaroo Banzai. The thing that *still* gets me about that movie is the all-star cast. I mean, Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin, John Lithgow, they weren't "B" list actors y'know? I was especially amused when I realized John Parker, the "main" Black Lectroid, was played by Carl Lumbly.

2004-01-16 09:13:43-07:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On 15 Jan 2004 21:33:01 -0800, cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote: >Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... >> Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the >> Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo >> Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". >> >> As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox >> /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running >> a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or >> for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan >> A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's >> initial opening weekend. >> >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" >> <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: >> >> >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp >> >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ >> >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much >> >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a >> >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake >> >and Bake Colony".... >> >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel >> >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be >> >working there...). >> > >> >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani >> >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts >> >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). >> > > > >Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai >references? Pah-leaze. So, the Bronze scene in Buffy's "Superstar" went right over your head too? -- You've reached the Tittles. We can't come to the phone right now If you want to leave a message for Christine, Press 1 For Bentley, Press 2 Or to speak to, or worship, Master Tarfall, Underlord of Pain, Press 3

2004-01-16 15:11:21-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > > initial opening weekend. > > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > > >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > > >and Bake Colony".... > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > > >working there...). > > > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > references? Pah-leaze. --It's a great movie. What's the problem? Clairel

2004-01-16 15:12:22-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

forge <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com> wrote in message news:<47oe00d15c957rp9hgiuirpdv19gqutua7@4ax.com>... > On 15 Jan 2004 07:54:59 -0800, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > >--Buckaroo Banzai (cf. the Yoyodyne mention) was longer ago than that. > > I was just taken aback to realize it's been a full twenty years since > >Buckaroo Banzai came out (man, I love that movie). Seems like only > >yesterday to me. > > My thirty-year-old roomie just watched my DVD and saw BB for the very > first time. I could not believe that any fan of sci-fi and Buffy could > make it to 30 without having seen Buckaroo Banzai. > > The thing that *still* gets me about that movie is the all-star cast. > I mean, Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin, John Lithgow, they > weren't "B" list actors y'know? I was especially amused when I > realized John Parker, the "main" Black Lectroid, was played by Carl > Lumbly. --Well, my son is 15 and I made damn sure he saw BB at the first possible opportunity. I'm tryin' to raise that boy right. Clairel

2004-01-16 15:37:57-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (cocolikes1@netscape.net)

2004-01-16 16:45:06-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - ("Jim Shaffer, Jr." <jmshaffer@alltel.net>)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:49:50 -0500, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >> Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the >> Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo >> Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > >And according to the TNG tech manual, they made the Enterprise's >engines too. As far as I know, Yoyodyne was created by Thomas Pynchon for "The Crying of Lot 49".

2004-01-16 23:28:52+00:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - ("George W. Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com>)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: :> Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai :> references? Pah-leaze. : :--It's a great movie. What's the problem? It isn't a great movie. It's a moderately clever script that's hamstrung by clumsy direction and really, really terrible pacing. :Clairel -- When Ramanujan was my age, he had been dead for nine years. -after Tom Lehrer George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

2004-01-17 10:35:06-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (forge <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com>)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:13:43 -0700, William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: >So, the Bronze scene in Buffy's "Superstar" went right over your head >too? I just saw (most of) Superstar the other day. What BB reference did I miss, or forget? TIA.

2004-01-17 10:50:01-07:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:35:06 -0500, forge <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com> wrote: >On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:13:43 -0700, William George Ferguson ><wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: > >>So, the Bronze scene in Buffy's "Superstar" went right over your head >>too? > >I just saw (most of) Superstar the other day. What BB reference did I >miss, or forget? TIA. The scene in the Bronze, when Super-Jonathan takes the stage, then stops the performance when he sees the girl crying in the audience. It's an obvious deliberate copy (homage) of the scene when Buckaroo first sees Penny Priddy. I always figured it meant that Jonathan was a big Buckaroo Banzai fan.

2004-01-17 14:38:24-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <s2ti009jtqqgcqnvnvpgio26ul9mut39qe@4ax.com>, William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:35:06 -0500, forge > <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com> wrote: > > >On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:13:43 -0700, William George Ferguson > ><wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: > > > >>So, the Bronze scene in Buffy's "Superstar" went right over your head > >>too? > > > >I just saw (most of) Superstar the other day. What BB reference did I > >miss, or forget? TIA. > > The scene in the Bronze, when Super-Jonathan takes the stage, then > stops the performance when he sees the girl crying in the audience. > It's an obvious deliberate copy (homage) of the scene when Buckaroo > first sees Penny Priddy. > > I always figured it meant that Jonathan was a big Buckaroo Banzai fan. The scenes weren't really all that similar. Kathy with a K came running into the Bronze, making a big scene, and pretty obviously looking for Jonathan to save her. Buckaroo Banzai heard a girl crying softly, and trying not to draw attention to herself in the back of a club in which he was performing. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2004-01-17 16:01:32+00:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Mark Nobles <cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com>)

In article <fb30760b.0401161537.2b77b3ab@posting.google.com>, Coco <cocolikes1@netscape.net> wrote: > Apparently. Do I need to put Buckaroo Bonzai on my list of movies to > watch before I die? Yes.

2004-01-17 18:11:55-07:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:38:24 -0500, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >In article <s2ti009jtqqgcqnvnvpgio26ul9mut39qe@4ax.com>, William George >Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: > >> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:35:06 -0500, forge >> <forge@diespammersdie.youneedageek.com> wrote: >> >> >On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:13:43 -0700, William George Ferguson >> ><wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote: >> > >> >>So, the Bronze scene in Buffy's "Superstar" went right over your head >> >>too? >> > >> >I just saw (most of) Superstar the other day. What BB reference did I >> >miss, or forget? TIA. >> >> The scene in the Bronze, when Super-Jonathan takes the stage, then >> stops the performance when he sees the girl crying in the audience. >> It's an obvious deliberate copy (homage) of the scene when Buckaroo >> first sees Penny Priddy. >> >> I always figured it meant that Jonathan was a big Buckaroo Banzai fan. > >The scenes weren't really all that similar. Kathy with a K came >running into the Bronze, making a big scene, and pretty obviously >looking for Jonathan to save her. > >Buckaroo Banzai heard a girl crying softly, and trying not to draw >attention to herself in the back of a club in which he was performing. To quote a show I only know from this newsgroup, never being iterested enought o watch it, cut me some poetic slack. The scene isn't a word for word redo, but it absolutely resonates with the BB scene (it doesn't matter that the Hong Kong Cavaliers weren't doing a big band number, it's the spirit that's being captured, not the piddly details).

2004-01-17 23:49:58-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net>)

"Coco" <cocolikes1@netscape.net> wrote in message news:fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com... > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > > initial opening weekend. > > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > > >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > > >and Bake Colony".... > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > > >working there...). > > > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > references? Pah-leaze. I actually didn't recognize any of the three references. I thought Buckaroo Bonzai was just a guy on atbvs.

2004-01-17 23:53:38-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <bud39o$g9lc6$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>, The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net> wrote: > "Coco" <cocolikes1@netscape.net> wrote in message > news:fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com... > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > > references? Pah-leaze. > > I actually didn't recognize any of the three references. I thought Buckaroo > Bonzai was just a guy on atbvs. Philistine! -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2004-01-18 15:15:04-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net>)

"Don Sample" <dsample@synapse.net> wrote in message news:170120042353382261%dsample@synapse.net... > In article <bud39o$g9lc6$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>, The > Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net> wrote: > > > "Coco" <cocolikes1@netscape.net> wrote in message > > news:fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com... > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > > > references? Pah-leaze. > > > > I actually didn't recognize any of the three references. I thought Buckaroo > > Bonzai was just a guy on atbvs. > > Philistine! I don't think I'm old enough for that. -- If you can't discuss a work of fiction without insulting another poster, you deserve to die.

2004-01-18 20:31:37+00:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Jerry Davis <jjdavis2@flash.net>)

forge wrote: >On 15 Jan 2004 07:54:59 -0800, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > > >>--Buckaroo Banzai (cf. the Yoyodyne mention) was longer ago than that. >>I was just taken aback to realize it's been a full twenty years since >>Buckaroo Banzai came out (man, I love that movie). Seems like only >>yesterday to me. >> >> > >My thirty-year-old roomie just watched my DVD and saw BB for the very >first time. I could not believe that any fan of sci-fi and Buffy could >make it to 30 without having seen Buckaroo Banzai. > >The thing that *still* gets me about that movie is the all-star cast. >I mean, Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin, John Lithgow, they >weren't "B" list actors y'know? I was especially amused when I >realized John Parker, the "main" Black Lectroid, was played by Carl >Lumbly. > > Hell, I've been waiting 20 years for the sequel ... "Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime League"

2004-01-19 15:59:23-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

"The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<buepgb$h5o38$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>... > "Don Sample" <dsample@synapse.net> wrote in message > news:170120042353382261%dsample@synapse.net... > > In article <bud39o$g9lc6$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>, The > > Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net> wrote: > > > > > "Coco" <cocolikes1@netscape.net> wrote in message > > > news:fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com... > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > > > > references? Pah-leaze. > > > > > > I actually didn't recognize any of the three references. I thought > Buckaroo > > > Bonzai was just a guy on atbvs. > > > > Philistine! > > I don't think I'm old enough for that. --Philistinism transcends time and space. Clairel

2004-01-19 16:00:56-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

George W. Harris <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message news:<etsg00hdinuihacnk2al8cnpo7ujpt9jgl@4ax.com>... > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > :> Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > :> references? Pah-leaze. > : > :--It's a great movie. What's the problem? > > It isn't a great movie. It's a moderately > clever script that's hamstrung by clumsy > direction and really, really terrible pacing. --In your opinion. Which I do not value in the slightest. Clairel

2004-01-19 16:47:47-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Mouse <mail141023@fakittyfake.pop.net>)

On 16 Jan 2004 15:37:57 -0800, cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed: >Apparently. Do I need to put Buckaroo Bonzai on my list of movies to >watch before I die? s/before I die/before I go to bed tonight. Yes.

2004-01-19 20:32:42-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net>)

"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message news:1faed770.0401161511.1fd60365@posting.google.com... > cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... > > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > > > > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > > > initial opening weekend. > > > > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > > > > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the mega-corp > > > >Weyland Yutani http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all pretty much > > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on LV-426 (a > > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a "Shake > > > >and Bake Colony".... > > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I doubt Angel > > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still be > > > >working there...). > > > > > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad Yutani > > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old farts > > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, lol!). > > > > > > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > > references? Pah-leaze. > > --It's a great movie. What's the problem? "Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon / comic-book-hero/samurai/ etc who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like they are from Jamaica." I dunno where to start. The plot description sounds painful. Is there anything similar around to use as a point of comparison? -- If you can't discuss a work of fiction without insulting another poster, you deserve to die.

2004-01-20 13:25:57-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

"The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<bui0fr$i1anj$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>... > "Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message > news:1faed770.0401161511.1fd60365@posting.google.com... > > cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message > news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... > > > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > > > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > > > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > > > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > > > > > > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > > > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > > > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > > > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > > > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > > > > initial opening weekend. > > > > > > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > > > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the > mega-corp > > > > >Weyland Yutani > http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > > > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all > pretty much > > > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on > LV-426 (a > > > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a > "Shake > > > > >and Bake Colony".... > > > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I > doubt Angel > > > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still > be > > > > >working there...). > > > > > > > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad > Yutani > > > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old > farts > > > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, > lol!). > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > > > references? Pah-leaze. > > > > --It's a great movie. What's the problem? > > "Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon / comic-book-hero/samurai/ etc > who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures > from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our > dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his > ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like they > are from Jamaica." > > I dunno where to start. The plot description sounds painful. --Soooo, you have no sense of humor, huh? Is there > anything similar around to use as a point of comparison? --No, it's utterly unique. That's what's so wonderful about BB. Clairel

2004-01-20 19:32:15-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net>)

"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message news:1faed770.0401201325.58fd8eb7@posting.google.com... > "The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<bui0fr$i1anj$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>... > > "Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message > > news:1faed770.0401161511.1fd60365@posting.google.com... > > > cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message > > news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... > > > > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message > > news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > > > > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the > > > > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > > > > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > > > > > > > > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox > > > > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > > > > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or > > > > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > > > > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > > > > > initial opening weekend. > > > > > > > > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > > > > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the > > mega-corp > > > > > >Weyland Yutani > > http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > > > > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all > > pretty much > > > > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on > > LV-426 (a > > > > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a > > "Shake > > > > > >and Bake Colony".... > > > > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I > > doubt Angel > > > > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still > > be > > > > > >working there...). > > > > > > > > > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad > > Yutani > > > > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old > > farts > > > > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, > > lol!). > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > > > > references? Pah-leaze. > > > > > > --It's a great movie. What's the problem? > > > > "Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon / comic-book-hero/samurai/ etc > > who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures > > from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our > > dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his > > ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like they > > are from Jamaica." > > > > I dunno where to start. The plot description sounds painful. > > --Soooo, you have no sense of humor, huh? Assuming of course that you've redefined the phrase "sense of humor" to mean "tendency to share my subjective preferences in all things", then I'd have to conclude that I have none, AFAICT. Under the more common meaning of the phrase, however, the answer would be that I do, and that this is a rather silly question. > Is there > > anything similar around to use as a point of comparison? > > --No, it's utterly unique. That's what's so wonderful about BB. I'm not actually playing this game that you think we're playing. I'm asking a real question. -- If you can't discuss a work of fiction without insulting another poster, you deserve to die.

2004-01-20 19:36:12-05:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net>)

"Clotilde" <hnowell@ev1.net> wrote in message news:100rb1hp6ie47ee@corp.supernews.com... > > "The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote: > > > >"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message > >news:1faed770.0401161511.1fd60365@posting.google.com... > >> cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message > >news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... > >> > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message > >news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > >> > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by > the > >> > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo > >> > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > >> > > > >> > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century > Fox > >> > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running > >> > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, > or > >> > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > >> > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > >> > > initial opening weekend. > >> > > > >> > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > >> > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > >> > > > >> > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the > >mega-corp > >> > > >Weyland Yutani > >http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > >> > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all > >pretty much > >> > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on > >LV-426 (a > >> > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls > a > >"Shake > >> > > >and Bake Colony".... > >> > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I > >doubt Angel > >> > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still > >be > >> > > >working there...). > >> > > > > >> > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad > >Yutani > >> > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old > >farts > >> > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, > >lol!). > >> > > > > >> > > >> > > >> > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai > >> > references? Pah-leaze. > >> > >> --It's a great movie. What's the problem? > > > >"Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon / comic-book-hero/samurai/ > etc > >who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures > >from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our > >dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his > >ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like they > >are from Jamaica." > > > >I dunno where to start. The plot description sounds painful. Is there > >anything similar around to use as a point of comparison? > > > > > >-- > >If you can't discuss a work of fiction without insulting another poster, > you > >deserve to die. > > > > > > Buckaroo Banzai was a one of a kind. Remote connections to Doc Savage pulp > books and almost any superhero comic where the main guy is so super nobody > can get to him so they end up attacking his pals instead. Dungeon dimension > creatures trying to come through into our world (Pratchett). Any invasion > by aliens movie. And a liberal dollop of choppy cuts and low-budget sets. > It was great. You ought to rent it. Everyone should see this movie once in > their lives. Thank you. -- If you can't discuss a work of fiction without insulting another poster, you deserve to die.

2004-01-20 22:31:13+00:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (Clotilde <hnowell@ev1.net>)

"The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote: > >"Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message >news:1faed770.0401161511.1fd60365@posting.google.com... >> cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message >news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... >> > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message >news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... >> > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by the >> > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of Buckaroo >> > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". >> > > >> > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century Fox >> > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", running >> > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the cast, or >> > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan >> > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's >> > > initial opening weekend. >> > > >> > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" >> > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: >> > > >> > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the >mega-corp >> > > >Weyland Yutani >http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ >> > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all >pretty much >> > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on >LV-426 (a >> > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani calls a >"Shake >> > > >and Bake Colony".... >> > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I >doubt Angel >> > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will still >be >> > > >working there...). >> > > > >> > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning Weylnad >Yutani >> > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only old >farts >> > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, >lol!). >> > > > >> > >> > >> > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo Bonzai >> > references? Pah-leaze. >> >> --It's a great movie. What's the problem? > >"Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon / comic-book-hero/samurai/ etc >who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures >from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our >dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his >ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like they >are from Jamaica." > >I dunno where to start. The plot description sounds painful. Is there >anything similar around to use as a point of comparison? > > >-- >If you can't discuss a work of fiction without insulting another poster, you >deserve to die. > > Buckaroo Banzai was a one of a kind. Remote connections to Doc Savage pulp books and almost any superhero comic where the main guy is so super nobody can get to him so they end up attacking his pals instead. Dungeon dimension creatures trying to come through into our world (Pratchett). Any invasion by aliens movie. And a liberal dollop of choppy cuts and low-budget sets. It was great. You ought to rent it. Everyone should see this movie once in their lives. - - ��� is akin to dropping rose petals into the Grand Canyon and waiting to hear the boom. -Neil Gaiman

2004-01-21 12:16:52-08:00 - Re: Wolfram & Hart, Weyland Yutani, Ripley, and Aliens... - (reldevik@usa.net)

"The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<bukhaj$j4j9p$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>... > "Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message > news:1faed770.0401201325.58fd8eb7@posting.google.com... > > "The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message > news:<bui0fr$i1anj$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de>... > > > "Clairel" <reldevik@usa.net> wrote in message > > > news:1faed770.0401161511.1fd60365@posting.google.com... > > > > cocolikes1@netscape.net (Coco) wrote in message > news:<fb30760b.0401152133.4174f9c3@posting.google.com>... > > > > > Bob L. <redbeard_nv@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:<ng8c001l9ubvue3olk400qa1tsc85f4a90@4ax.com>... > > > > > > Don't forget "Yoyodyne", the mythical propulsion lab populated by > the > > > > > > Red Lectroids of Planet 10 from the movie "The Advebntures of > Buckaroo > > > > > > Banzai Across The Eight Dimension". > > > > > > > > > > > > As far as I know, I assume the backhanded mention to 20th Century > Fox > > > > > > /Newscorp is either a smack at them for cancelling "Firefly", > running > > > > > > a show named "Dark Angel" which had nobody named Angel in the > cast, or > > > > > > for shutting down 20th Century's animation department after "Titan > > > > > > A.E.", written by Joss Whedon, didn't make enough money in it's > > > > > > initial opening weekend. > > > > > > > > > > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:34 -0600, "Joseph S. Powell, III" > > > > > > <jpowell180@charter.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > >Tonights ep explains a lot.......the heavy involvement of the > mega-corp > > > > > > >Weyland Yutani > http://www.planetavp.com/al/Organizations/Weyland-Yutani/ > > > > > > >with Wolfram & Hart (Angel won't run that place forever, we all > pretty much > > > > > > >have guessed that...), and the deaths of hundreds of colonists on > LV-426 (a > > > > > > >colony on a partially terraformed world, what Weyland Yutani > calls a > "Shake > > > > > > >and Bake Colony".... > > > > > > >Of course all this occurs a couple of hundred years from now - I > doubt Angel > > > > > > >will hold onto W & H that long (although perhaps Harmony will > still > be > > > > > > >working there...). > > > > > > > > > > > > > >I thought that adding that bit at the beginning mentioning > Weylnad > Yutani > > > > > > >was funny, I wonder how many other people got it (probably only > old > farts > > > > > > >like ME who remember the second installment in the Alien movies, > lol!). > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Am I the only person this was all completely lost on? Buckaroo > Bonzai > > > > > references? Pah-leaze. > > > > > > > > --It's a great movie. What's the problem? > > > > > > "Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon / comic-book-hero/samurai/ > etc > > > who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil > creatures > > > from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our > > > dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his > > > ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like > they > > > are from Jamaica." > > > > > > I dunno where to start. The plot description sounds painful. > > > > --Soooo, you have no sense of humor, huh? > > Assuming of course that you've redefined the phrase "sense of humor" to mean > "tendency to share my subjective preferences in all things", then I'd have > to conclude that I have none, AFAICT. Under the more common meaning of the > phrase, however, the answer would be that I do, and that this is a rather > silly question. > > > Is there > > > anything similar around to use as a point of comparison? > > > > --No, it's utterly unique. That's what's so wonderful about BB. > > I'm not actually playing this game that you think we're playing. I'm asking > a real question. --My answer was a real answer. What has always struck me about BB is its uniqueness. Comparing it to Doc Savage (as I notice someone else did on this thread) is actually valid, but I honestly had forgotten all about Doc Savage, not only now but also when I first saw BB in the eighties. I haven't read any Doc Savage since the 1960s. And in any case BB doesn't have exactly the same feel to it that Doc Savage does. I still say there's nothing in the world quite like BB. And I don't know why you're so hypersensitive and suspicious about people "playing games" with you. I'm just an exuberant BB fan who relishes BB's absurdism, wacky humor, and--as I see it--uniqueness. Sheesh. Clairel