FLM films - My Webpage

2003-11-18 22:34:12+00:00 - Late comments on Lineage - (Idris <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid>)

The opening reminded me of an introduction to a FPS computer game, Quake or something. The background noise, the lighting, the boxes, the ninjas, Wesley's slow motion ruse with the guns, the distinctly computer animated feel of it all. "Yes, thank you Wesley! I'd love a gun". - Fred saving the entire scene Fred is not the only one who's annoyed with Angel's and Wesley's protective attitude. She may be girly and innocent but she's also strong-willed, resourceful and more than able to take care of herself. I don't wonder that she's drawn to Knox, who treats her with respect. Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. I don't like or understand Wesley's pining for Fred. They don't seem to suit each other at all. Just because they're both scientific types doesn't mean they'd match romantically. And I really thought Wes was past the awkward courting routine for the girly-girly type, after being so in charge with a woman like Lilah. Not to mention that the stupid love triangle makes some boring, predictable television. Been there, seen S3 and it wasn't even that interesting the first time around. I really hope this episode was the end of it. The way I like to see it, the killing of the fake dad made Wes realize that his feelings for Fred endanger his principles and his mission, and thus he should let her go. It wasn't as much the act itself but its instictive nature. He didn't stop to think, even for a moment. He saw Fred in danger and just reacted. I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two pet theories about her: either she's a robot or she's had her emotions removed by W&H. The actress can't possibly be that wooden, she must be instructed to play Eve that way. I got the feeling that we didn't see the last of the cyborg ninjas, so maybe Eve has something to do with them. Her elevator scene with Spike was good. The scene with Angel, not so much. Lorne's showbiz talk needs to stop. At this point I'm pretty much tuning out whenever he's on screen. Wesley's scenes with his father were some powerful stuff. Loved all of it. So, Dad turned out to be a robot. I don't have a problem with this. It was a way to make it clear that Wes was prepared to kill his own father for Fred while avoiding the hassle of actually dealing with a patricide and getting rid of the father, a potentially useful source of conflict. But why did the Robodad have scruples about killing Wes? First in the vault, then on the roof before Wes had the chance to move to the edge. I hope we'll get an explanation for this later. The plot device was a bit too generally powerful. Why hadn't W&H ever used it before? I liked Angel's realization about Wes being the one who makes the hard decisions. Hopefully we'll see them getting closer again soon. Angel should have somebody to confide in again. Idris -- "Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition." - Austen, Sense and Sensibility

2003-11-19 00:31:18-05:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net>)

"Idris" <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:bpe6p2$r1a$1@bowmore.utu.fi... > Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit > excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter > reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, > although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. Is Percy a geeky, teacher's pet type character? > I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two > pet theories about her: either she's a robot or she's had her emotions > removed by W&H. The actress can't possibly be that wooden, she must be > instructed to play Eve that way. I got the feeling that we didn't see > the last of the cyborg ninjas, so maybe Eve has something to do with > them. Her elevator scene with Spike was good. The scene with Angel, > not so much. I don't recall the actress being much different when she played Dana Poole on Boston Public's 1st season, though it was awhile ago, so I may be remembering it incorrectly. > So, Dad turned out to be a robot. I don't have a problem with this. > It was a way to make it clear that Wes was prepared to kill his own > father for Fred while avoiding the hassle of actually dealing with > a patricide and getting rid of the father, a potentially useful > source of conflict. But why did the Robodad have scruples about > killing Wes? First in the vault, then on the roof before Wes had the > chance to move to the edge. I hope we'll get an explanation for this > later. Could be his initial plan was to remain in character as long as possible. Or it could be another indication that perhaps the cyborgs were good guys. -- "Now let me tell you something, children. We're not gonna fight you. We're just gonna hold you down and enjoy ourselves for a few hours. You might even live through it. Except that certain of my boys got some ...anatomical incompatibilities that, uh, tend to tear up little girls. So, who wants to go first?" -Razor the demon biker, BtVS ep 6ABB02, "Bargaining, pt. 2" "I used to have an Irish accent back in the day. If you'd like I could use it on you when I rape you to death." -Angelus, Ats ep 4ADH12, "Calvary" "If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh and sew our skins into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order." -Zoe, Firefly ep 1AGE79, "Serenity"

2003-11-19 06:11:38+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (aej17DELETEME@comcast.net)

Idris <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid> wrote: > > The opening reminded me of an introduction to a FPS computer game, > Quake or something. The background noise, the lighting, the boxes, the > ninjas, Wesley's slow motion ruse with the guns, the distinctly computer > animated feel of it all. Now that you mention it ... I was sort of rolling my eyes and groaning at the opening. I couldn't quite articulate what it was which bothered me so, but there was something. At least until ... > "Yes, thank you Wesley! I'd love a gun". - Fred saving the entire scene Ab-so-f******-lutely. With just one tiny line, Fred makes lemonade from clouds. > Fred is not the only one who's annoyed with Angel's and Wesley's > protective attitude. She may be girly and innocent but she's also > strong-willed, resourceful and more than able to take care of > herself. I don't wonder that she's drawn to Knox, who treats her with > respect. Yeah. But Knox' respect might simply be fear. I don't know. But I think that Fred *slightly* overreacted, concerning Angel and Wes. Not that she wasn't justified, just that her reaction was a little bit, well, over. > Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit > excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter > reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, > although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. Heh. See, I know nothing about Harry Potter, so all these references go right over my head. I'm glad I have the newsgroup to explain them. I thought that was also a flat note. But, as I mentioned in a couple of other places, I found Spike to be one of the best things in this episode. He made me laugh out loud a couple of times, and that hasn't happened in a LONG time. If you had told me about the "sex with robots" stuff before I saw it, I would have gagged. But the way JM delivered the lines, I was cracking up. It was stupid, but it was funny. > I don't like or understand Wesley's pining for Fred. They don't seem > to suit each other at all. Just because they're both scientific types > doesn't mean they'd match romantically. OK, there's an underlying assumption to what you are saying here. And that is this: romantic interest is somehow under one's control. I think Wes liked her almost right away. And he still does. He might not even know why, or he might not even like that he does. But he does. And she is simply adorable. > And I really thought Wes was > past the awkward courting routine for the girly-girly type, after > being so in charge with a woman like Lilah. Not to mention that the > stupid love triangle makes some boring, predictable television. Been > there, seen S3 and it wasn't even that interesting the first time > around. I really hope this episode was the end of it. The way I like > to see it, the killing of the fake dad made Wes realize that his > feelings for Fred endanger his principles and his mission, and thus he > should let her go. It wasn't as much the act itself but its instictive > nature. He didn't stop to think, even for a moment. He saw Fred in > danger and just reacted. Well, I agree and disagree. Firstly, YES YES YES! I was right there with you in the "been there, done that, and I didn't even get a free frisbee" department. The less they rehash S3-S4's awful "romance" storylines, the better. Bury them forever, in a vault. On the other hand, I think you are reading a little more into Wes' realization than was actually there. I'm damned glad he shot the bastard. He should be too. The guy smacked him in the back of the head. The guy tried to steal Angel's will. The guy almost got lots of people killed. Then, when the chips were down, he points a gun at Fred's head. If, after doing all that, he didn't deserve what he got, I know who would. Let's not get into the whole "were the cyborgs really good or evil" thing here. But I think Wes is a little broken up, over a bunch of things. > > I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two > pet theories about her: either she's a robot or she's had her emotions > removed by W&H. The actress can't possibly be that wooden, she must be > instructed to play Eve that way. I got the feeling that we didn't see > the last of the cyborg ninjas, so maybe Eve has something to do with > them. Her elevator scene with Spike was good. The scene with Angel, > not so much. Her elevator scene with Spike *was* good. And her stare is icy and disconcerting. I think you are probably onto something with the "many possible explanations for Eve" theory. Something is up with that girl, and whatever it is, it ain't good. > Lorne's showbiz talk needs to stop. At this point I'm pretty much > tuning out whenever he's on screen. It's pathetic, and it's offensive. > Wesley's scenes with his father were some powerful stuff. Loved all of > it. > > So, Dad turned out to be a robot. I don't have a problem with this. > It was a way to make it clear that Wes was prepared to kill his own > father for Fred while avoiding the hassle of actually dealing with > a patricide and getting rid of the father, a potentially useful > source of conflict. But why did the Robodad have scruples about > killing Wes? First in the vault, then on the roof before Wes had the > chance to move to the edge. I hope we'll get an explanation for this > later. I think this has to do with the "were the cyborgs really on the side of good or of evil" thing I mentioned before. I don't think it is clear, and Wes, Gunn, and Angel seem to think there's at least a decent chance that they are all on the same side. The enemy of my enemy, and all that. > The plot device was a bit too generally powerful. Why hadn't W&H ever > used it before? > > I liked Angel's realization about Wes being the one who makes the hard > decisions. Hopefully we'll see them getting closer again soon. Angel > should have somebody to confide in again. > > Idris I didn't understand that then, and I don't now. I still don't get it. Oh well. -- AE Jabbour "I mean, I may have ripped off Vertigo, The Shining, James Ellroy, James M. Cain, Barton Fink, Rebel Without a Cause, Vertigo, Psycho, Kiss Me Deadly, Double Indemnity and The Hudsucker Proxy - but I'm certainly no plagiarist!" Tim Minear, alt.tv.angel, 10.05.2000

2003-11-19 07:49:13+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Iris wrote: > >I don't like or understand Wesley's pining >for Fred.... >And I really thought Wes was >past the awkward courting routine for the >girly-girly type, after Yeah me too. If they can dredge up Pathetic Crush Wes can't they at least dredge up Smiling, Funny Wes too? >being so in charge with a woman like Lilah. Not to mention that the >stupid love triangle makes some boring, >predictable television. Sing it. >Been >there, seen S3 and it wasn't even that interesting the first time >around. I really hope this episode was the >end of it.

2003-11-19 09:33:41+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (quester@infionline.net)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:34:12 +0000 (UTC), Idris <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid> wrote: >I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two >pet theories about her: either she's a robot <snip> Something I had meant to mention when this came up before. When Spike gives the line about people making love to robots being more common than people think, they cut to Eve giving him a look. Now, I haven't bought in to the Eve-is-a-robot theory just yet so I'm assuming it just means she knew about the Buffybot or even something unrelated (like maybe W&H runs a brothel staffed with robots), but =if= she turned out to be a robot the cut to that look from Eve would also do very nicely for a "He knows!" reaction.

2003-11-19 10:18:45+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (Ard Rhi <ardrhi>)

"The Babaloughesian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:bpev79$1n0vrf$1@ID-177202.news.uni-berlin.de... > > "Idris" <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid> wrote in message > news:bpe6p2$r1a$1@bowmore.utu.fi... > > > Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit > > excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter > > reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, > > although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. > > Is Percy a geeky, teacher's pet type character? Oh, yeah. He is... > > I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two > > pet theories about her: either she's a robot or she's had her emotions > > removed by W&H. The actress can't possibly be that wooden, she must be > > instructed to play Eve that way. I got the feeling that we didn't see > > the last of the cyborg ninjas, so maybe Eve has something to do with > > them. Her elevator scene with Spike was good. The scene with Angel, > > not so much. > > I don't recall the actress being much different when she played Dana Poole > on Boston Public's 1st season, though it was awhile ago, so I may be > remembering it incorrectly. > > > So, Dad turned out to be a robot. I don't have a problem with this. > > It was a way to make it clear that Wes was prepared to kill his own > > father for Fred while avoiding the hassle of actually dealing with > > a patricide and getting rid of the father, a potentially useful > > source of conflict. But why did the Robodad have scruples about > > killing Wes? First in the vault, then on the roof before Wes had the > > chance to move to the edge. I hope we'll get an explanation for this > > later. > > Could be his initial plan was to remain in character as long as possible. > Or it could be another indication that perhaps the cyborgs were good guys. The later conversation between Wes and Angel seems to bear this theory out. They feel they're being targetted by both sides since taking over 'evil' Wol fram & Hart while trying to remain good. Ard Rhi > -- > "Now let me tell you something, children. We're not gonna fight you. We're > just gonna hold you down and enjoy ourselves for a few hours. You might even > live through it. Except that certain of my boys got some ...anatomical > incompatibilities that, uh, tend to tear up little girls. So, who wants to > go first?" > -Razor the demon biker, BtVS ep 6ABB02, "Bargaining, pt. 2" > "I used to have an Irish accent back in the day. If you'd like I could use > it on you when I rape you to death." > -Angelus, Ats ep 4ADH12, "Calvary" > "If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh and sew our > skins into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in > that order." > -Zoe, Firefly ep 1AGE79, "Serenity" P.S. Like the topic of rape in your signatures a bit too much?

2003-11-19 10:27:42+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (Ard Rhi <ardrhi>)

"Idris" <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:bpe6p2$r1a$1@bowmore.utu.fi... > > The opening reminded me of an introduction to a FPS computer game, > Quake or something. The background noise, the lighting, the boxes, the > ninjas, Wesley's slow motion ruse with the guns, the distinctly computer > animated feel of it all. > > "Yes, thank you Wesley! I'd love a gun". - Fred saving the entire scene > > Fred is not the only one who's annoyed with Angel's and Wesley's > protective attitude. She may be girly and innocent but she's also > strong-willed, resourceful and more than able to take care of > herself. I don't wonder that she's drawn to Knox, who treats her with > respect. > > Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit > excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter > reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, > although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. > > I don't like or understand Wesley's pining for Fred. They don't seem > to suit each other at all. Just because they're both scientific types > doesn't mean they'd match romantically. And I really thought Wes was > past the awkward courting routine for the girly-girly type, after > being so in charge with a woman like Lilah. Not to mention that the > stupid love triangle makes some boring, predictable television. Been > there, seen S3 and it wasn't even that interesting the first time > around. I really hope this episode was the end of it. The way I like > to see it, the killing of the fake dad made Wes realize that his > feelings for Fred endanger his principles and his mission, and thus he > should let her go. It wasn't as much the act itself but its instictive > nature. He didn't stop to think, even for a moment. He saw Fred in > danger and just reacted. > > I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two > pet theories about her: either she's a robot or she's had her emotions > removed by W&H. The actress can't possibly be that wooden, she must be > instructed to play Eve that way. I got the feeling that we didn't see > the last of the cyborg ninjas, so maybe Eve has something to do with > them. Her elevator scene with Spike was good. The scene with Angel, > not so much. > > Lorne's showbiz talk needs to stop. At this point I'm pretty much > tuning out whenever he's on screen. > > Wesley's scenes with his father were some powerful stuff. Loved all of > it. > > So, Dad turned out to be a robot. I don't have a problem with this. > It was a way to make it clear that Wes was prepared to kill his own > father for Fred while avoiding the hassle of actually dealing with > a patricide and getting rid of the father, a potentially useful > source of conflict. But why did the Robodad have scruples about > killing Wes? First in the vault, then on the roof before Wes had the > chance to move to the edge. I hope we'll get an explanation for this > later. My theory on that is two-fold. One, the robot didn't really seem aware of its own nature. It wouldn't have needed to slip in a weapon if it realized it could be super-strong and agile. Reason for that could be it was programmed to fully mimic Roger and thus giving it no feelings towards Wesley or inconsistent abilities would make it too difficult to succeed at that mimicry. The secondary theory is that Angel mentioned how his team is targetted by both good and evil sides since they're technically the good guys but in charge of some massive evil law firm. If those cyborgs were some form of the good guys, then while not above some shadiness as they tried with Angel, simply killing Wesley for little reason would not be a thing for them to do. Both reasons seem acceptable and it could be either or both explanations. > The plot device was a bit too generally powerful. Why hadn't W&H ever > used it before? A very valuable artifact that got rather easily defeated and could be damaged. Nope, no wondering that the orignal firm didn't use it. > I liked Angel's realization about Wes being the one who makes the hard > decisions. Hopefully we'll see them getting closer again soon. Angel > should have somebody to confide in again. Eve and Spike seem to be his confidantes, lately. And that kinda works for me, actually. For now, anyway... > Idris Ard Rhi

2003-11-20 02:32:05+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (Idris <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid>)

A.E. Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote: > > Yeah. But Knox' respect might simply be fear. I don't know. > But I think that Fred *slightly* overreacted, concerning Angel > and Wes. Not that she wasn't justified, just that her reaction > was a little bit, well, over. True. I think it's becoming a sore point for her. She's increasingly assertive this season, which I think is excellent development. I just wish she'd also apply her assertiveness on the management of her personal life, instead of appearing like her affections depend entirely on chance. > > > Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit > > excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter > > reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, > > although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. > > Heh. See, I know nothing about Harry Potter, so all these > references go right over my head. I'm glad I have the newsgroup > to explain them. > Percy was a Head Boy and Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. Very stuffy, self-righteous, goody-goody type character. I'd have liked the reference if they'd played it more subtly instead of underlining it thrice or so. > I thought that was also a flat note. But, as I mentioned in a > couple of other places, I found Spike to be one of the best > things in this episode. He made me laugh out loud a couple > of times, and that hasn't happened in a LONG time. If you > had told me about the "sex with robots" stuff before I saw > it, I would have gagged. But the way JM delivered the lines, > I was cracking up. It was stupid, but it was funny. > I know. Last week I found myself giggling at the day of the departed jab in TCTONC - "You should know, being departed and all" - although it was really pretty inane. It was JM's deadpan delivery that made the joke. But this week he had some genuinely good comedic stuff, especially the scene with Wes' father and the punch. > > I don't like or understand Wesley's pining for Fred. They don't seem > > to suit each other at all. Just because they're both scientific types > > doesn't mean they'd match romantically. > > OK, there's an underlying assumption to what you are saying here. > And that is this: romantic interest is somehow under one's control. > That's not really what I meant. It's just that Wesley has changed so much that I have difficulty seeing him being passionately drawn to her anymore. But perhaps some things never change. > I think Wes liked her almost right away. And he still does. He > might not even know why, or he might not even like that he does. > But he does. And she is simply adorable. > She's cute alright. I liked her enthusiasm with cyborg technology in this episode: "It's like an M.C. Escher picture, but with wires and flesh instead of geese.", spoken with true glee. "> > Well, I agree and disagree. Firstly, YES YES YES! I was right > there with you in the "been there, done that, and I didn't even > get a free frisbee" department. The less they rehash S3-S4's > awful "romance" storylines, the better. Bury them forever, in > a vault. > I don't mind a little romance now and then, it's the clumsily written cliched triangles I object to. For example, I actually think the Fred/Gunn relationship and its disintegration would have been pretty decent tragic stuff if they hadn't felt the need to mix Wes into it. Without the Wes controversy it would have taken half the screen time but everything of interest would still have been there. > On the other hand, I think you are reading a little more into > Wes' realization than was actually there. I'm damned glad he > shot the bastard. He should be too. The guy smacked him in > the back of the head. The guy tried to steal Angel's will. > The guy almost got lots of people killed. Then, when the > chips were down, he points a gun at Fred's head. If, after > doing all that, he didn't deserve what he got, I know who > would. > Oh, I do think the fake dad had it coming. I don't blame Wes one bit for shooting him. But it was definitely unusual for Wes to act that impulsively. He's usually the guy who considers his actions carefully and cold-bloodedly, sees the big picture and, like Angel said, makes the hard decisions regardless of personal cost. This time he didn't stop to consider. On the other hand, I might be just reading too much into it because I'm really hoping the Wes/Fred thing came to an end. > Let's not get into the whole "were the cyborgs really good > or evil" thing here. But I think Wes is a little broken up, > over a bunch of things. > Being broken up has made him extremely attractive, though. Excuse me while I drool. :) > > I think this has to do with the "were the cyborgs really on the > side of good or of evil" thing I mentioned before. > > I don't think it is clear, and Wes, Gunn, and Angel seem to > think there's at least a decent chance that they are all on > the same side. > > The enemy of my enemy, and all that. I never really understood why they thought the cyborgs might have been good guys. The Watchers Council documents might just as well have fallen into evil hands. It's a good argument though. They were a bit selective about it but they did seem to try to limit the body count. Idris -- "Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition." - Austen, Sense and Sensibility

2003-11-20 02:33:31+00:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (Idris <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid>)

The Babaloughesian <me@privacy.net> wrote: > > I don't recall the actress being much different when she played Dana Poole > on Boston Public's 1st season, though it was awhile ago, so I may be > remembering it incorrectly. > Uh oh, I hope you're wrong. Although it could still be that it was excellent casting, picking the personality devoid actress to play a purposefully personality devoid character. What can I say, I'm an chronic optimist :) Idris -- "Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition." - Austen, Sense and Sensibility

2003-11-20 04:36:45-06:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (Thirsty Viking <jdoerter@kill.spam.comcast.net>)

"Idris" <idris@remove.suomi24.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:bpe6p2$r1a$1@bowmore.utu.fi... > > The opening reminded me of an introduction to a FPS computer game, > Quake or something. The background noise, the lighting, the boxes, the > ninjas, Wesley's slow motion ruse with the guns, the distinctly computer > animated feel of it all. > > "Yes, thank you Wesley! I'd love a gun". - Fred saving the entire scene > > Fred is not the only one who's annoyed with Angel's and Wesley's > protective attitude. She may be girly and innocent but she's also > strong-willed, resourceful and more than able to take care of > herself. I don't wonder that she's drawn to Knox, who treats her with > respect. Debateable since she neither was able to use the gun they were offering (or it didn't work)... and had failed to carry one on her own. A resourceful person doesn't need to take a gun from an ally to be armed IMO. Have we ever seen her use a gun? I don't recall... ok magic bullet... any other times? she carried one when she was in 4x22. She should carry her own gun(s). > > Spike's fascination with Wesley's Head Boy title was a bit > excessive. I guess now it's clear that Percy really is a Harry Potter > reference. I sort of like the idea of Spike reading children's books, > although I'm a bit suprised he admits it. > > I don't like or understand Wesley's pining for Fred. They don't seem > to suit each other at all. Just because they're both scientific types > doesn't mean they'd match romantically. And I really thought Wes was > past the awkward courting routine for the girly-girly type, after > being so in charge with a woman like Lilah. Not to mention that the > stupid love triangle makes some boring, predictable television. Been > there, seen S3 and it wasn't even that interesting the first time > around. I really hope this episode was the end of it. The way I like > to see it, the killing of the fake dad made Wes realize that his > feelings for Fred endanger his principles and his mission, and thus he > should let her go. It wasn't as much the act itself but its instictive > nature. He didn't stop to think, even for a moment. He saw Fred in > danger and just reacted. > > I'm warming up to Eve. Her stare is suitably disconcerting. I have two > pet theories about her: either she's a robot or she's had her emotions > removed by W&H. The actress can't possibly be that wooden, she must be > instructed to play Eve that way. I got the feeling that we didn't see > the last of the cyborg ninjas, so maybe Eve has something to do with > them. Her elevator scene with Spike was good. The scene with Angel, > not so much. > > Lorne's showbiz talk needs to stop. At this point I'm pretty much > tuning out whenever he's on screen. > > Wesley's scenes with his father were some powerful stuff. Loved all of > it. > > So, Dad turned out to be a robot. I don't have a problem with this. > It was a way to make it clear that Wes was prepared to kill his own > father for Fred while avoiding the hassle of actually dealing with > a patricide and getting rid of the father, a potentially useful > source of conflict. But why did the Robodad have scruples about > killing Wes? First in the vault, then on the roof before Wes had the > chance to move to the edge. I hope we'll get an explanation for this > later. > > The plot device was a bit too generally powerful. Why hadn't W&H ever > used it before? > > I liked Angel's realization about Wes being the one who makes the hard > decisions. Hopefully we'll see them getting closer again soon. Angel > should have somebody to confide in again. > > Idris > -- > "Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the > compliment of rational opposition." - Austen, Sense and Sensibility

2003-11-20 07:33:46-08:00 - Re: Late comments on Lineage - (himiko@animail.net)

"Thirsty Viking" <jdoerter@kill.spam.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<lPednf3gv-CqBCGiRVn-jw@comcast.com>... > > Debateable since she neither was able to use the gun they > were offering (or it didn't work)... and had failed to carry > one on her own. She had already dismantled and repacked it. > A resourceful person doesn't need to > take a gun from an ally to be armed IMO. No, but it was chance to be gallant and chivalrous and Wes missed it. > > She should carry her own gun(s). She probably agreed. Note that she did not hold this against Wes. She regretted that the only thing she'd had to do (the only thing she could do without a gun, but she didn't say that) was hide, and she hadn't managed to do that right. She only got mad at him when he launched into his "Oh, rotten me; I let poor, widdle Fred get hurt." Then she probably thought "Well damn it, if that's how you feel just give me the extra gun." himiko