FLM films - My Webpage

2003-05-20 21:23:22-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Chad <chadpainter@zoominternet.net>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't > posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and > I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And > you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > > Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I > make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned > thing I say. > > Spoiler space... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Okay, going by the "Previously..." it looks like Buffy/Spike is > going to play a big part. Oh, joy. Oh, rapture. > > Is that idiot preacher with the black stuff on his face actually > supposed to look scary? Sheesh. > > Melissa says they've cut all the Giles scenes out of the > credits. Huh. > > As Melissa pointed out just now, they ripped off X-Files for > the eyes. > > Oh, good, Spike'll get to wear the super-powerful amulet. Lovely. > > Buffy can't risk Angel to save the world? Lovely. > > Yeah, cutting your forces in half just in case. That's a good > idea. > > I love Angel. His reaction to learning Spike has a soul is > pretty much exactly the same as mine was. > > He is, in fact, getting the brush-off. > > "He is in my heart." What the fuck is that? > > Shouldn't they be, you know, out trying to save the world? > > There is something wrong with you. As Melissa just said, you're > an egocentric bitch. > > That cookie speech is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Plus, > it reminds me way too much of something I had Willow say in > a fic I wrote. Hmmph! > > Since when the hell do they care about a second front, anyway? > Buffy's never thought that far ahead. I wish I could think of it as > character growth, but I doubt it. > > She is, in fact, a dumbass. I like Dawn. > > Spike's spying on Buffy, but I'm sure it's only because he's > her True Love. And if he was there, why didn't he help Buffy > when she was, you know, fighting for her life? > > Oh, dear Christ. Now Spike's a champion. Woohoo. > > Okay, the pride as smokescreen thing was cute. > > Two bleached blondes dressed all in black, and not a brain > between them. > > How the hell does anyone get dumb enough to think that > they can create a huge vampire army without enough humans > finding out and stopping them? Vampires are remarkably > fragile creatures in the 21st century. They're vermin, > basically, and if they come out of the shadows they're > gonna get squashed. > > They're gonna win? Big surprise there. > > Okay, commercial break. Please excuse my immense bitterness. > Can't help it. > > Oh, I think I like how this is going. Cool idea. I hope. > > When the hell did they get so many Potentials? And which one's > Kennedy? > > Wood and Faith? Isn't she barely older than his students? > > Oh, I like him. And he is prettier than her. Though I think > she looks much better than in third season. > > Oh, that's Kennedy. Tara was much, much prettier. > > "Sweet girl, not that bright." Best fucking Willow line EVER! > > YESS!!!! D&D, BABY!!! I'm sorry I didn't tape this, just for > that moment. > > Are Anya and Xander back together? > > I like Andrew. Of course he prepared a speech. > > I care! I wanna hear the speech! > > Okay, cool original four moment. Forced, but cool. > > Does anyone else think the Hellmouth seal was designed by > the guy who did the Rubik's Cube? > > See, this is why the vampire army won't ever win. First > of all, they're just a bit rip-off of the Uruk-Hai, and > second, how about some damned SENTRIES, people?! > > Commercial again. Time to go see if Luke Wilson's going > to be in the new Charlie's Angels. He is. All is right > with the world. > > Anyone else think this new Harrison Ford movie looks > really, really bad? > > I don't want to own a piece of Sunnydale. The only stuff I'd > want would get me hit by Melissa... > > Actually, I have a feeling I'm about to be hit anyway. > > Yep. > > I gotta stop explaining my reasoning. Ow. > > In Melissa's defense, I did say that what I wanted was > Tara's slutty outfit from Xander's dream in Restless. > > Ow, again. > > Okay, we're back. Hey, here's a thought - maybe they should > have stayed out of sight until they knew the spell was working? > > Where do I know the girl with the thin face from? > > Worldwide army of Slayers. Kick-ass idea. Maybe Buffy really will > retire and do public service announcements about vampires... > > Oh, dear God, that is the worst friggin' special effect I've > ever seen. > > Okay, the slow motion fight scene was much cooler in The Sword > and The Sorceror. Lee Horsley kicks ass. > > Anya kicking some ass. Cool. He shouldn't oughta mentioned the > bunnies... > > See, there's a reason you don't talk during a fight. > > Is it just me, or did that wound look like it wouldn't even > kill a normal human right away? It got what, maybe a kidney, > a bit of the liver, some intestine? Conan would have laughed > and ripped the vamp's head off with his teeth. > > As Melissa pointed out, Inigo took much more of a licking and > kept on ticking. And he was a poncy Spaniard. > > Commercial again. Whaddaya think, is she really dead? > > "Pfft," Melissa just said. > > Just occurred to me - Xander better start kicking some ass. > I want some Xanderkickin'! > > I'm with the kid. Change broccoli. > > Oh, suck it up, you big baby. And yeah, a big calm area > always forms when someone gets stabbed. > > Xander kicking some ass. Dawn thinking. God bless 'em. > > Giles embraces Wood. Always wondered about him. > > So Buffy's got one of those "I'm perfectly okay and can > watch, but not fight" wounds. Yeah. > > If the Rocky theme were playing, I might buy it. Ooh, more slo-mo. > > Fight scene just got much cooler. > > Oh, dear lord. I changed my mind. THIS is the stupidest special > effect I've ever seen. > > Hey Buffy, don't distract the guy with the sunlight coming > out of him. > > Anya's dead? Fuck. > > Spike's gonna die? Cool! > > He's right. You don't love him. Good for Spike. Good for her, > too, though. > > "I wanna see how it ends." Finally, Spike is back! That expression > is pure season two! > > How many innocent people did they just kill, ya think? Did they > evacuate the city, or something? > > Why is Wood driving? > > I was just about to call that the coolest "he fades off to death > scene" ever. Heh. > > Considering I never thought a happy ending would work for the > show, I like it. > > I have to say, I'm not at all disappointed. I really expected to > be. It's a good feeling. But I still don't think I want to watch > the eps I missed this season. They did something right here,though, > to change me from bitter to enthusiastic during a commercial break. > > Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > long. > > Pete > > I like snickers. The girl with the long face was on freaks and geeks -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

2003-05-20 22:01:40-07:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (loots@hellmouthcafe.com)

Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu>... > I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't > posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and > I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And > you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > > Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I > make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned > thing I say. > Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > long. I'll take a Mounds bar, Pete. -Loots

2003-05-21 01:10:21+00:00 - A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

[...]

2003-05-21 01:39:18+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - ("T.V." <intrepidsoul@earthlink.net>)

HI there, I actually read it through and liked it, though I think this send-off sucked big time. My thoughts are: Anya died? Great. Spike died? Finally. My unanswered questions are: Does this mean Dawn is a Slayer? Why didn't Kennedy buy it too? In fact, why didn't the whole lot of slayer-whinerbes buy it? I had thought Willow was going to die, but it's no biggie. What is, though is that Buffy didn't. That was stupid. After Glory and her death then, a final send-off would have been appropriate. B5 is still the best sci-alternative series ever because JMS knew the formula for success: 5 years, sacrifice the most-loved characters, end it before it gets too watered down. Theresa

2003-05-21 01:40:17+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com>)

2003-05-21 01:40:17+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com>)

2003-05-21 02:17:36+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (nunya@business.com)

On Wed, 21 May 2003 01:39:18 GMT, "T.V." <intrepidsoul@earthlink.net> wrote: >HI there, > >I actually read it through and liked it, though I think this send-off sucked >big time. > >My thoughts are: Anya died? Great. Spike died? Finally. > >My unanswered questions are: > >Does this mean Dawn is a Slayer? Why didn't Kennedy buy it too? In fact, why >didn't the whole lot of slayer-whinerbes buy it? I had thought Willow was >going to die, but it's no biggie. What is, though is that Buffy didn't. That >was stupid. After Glory and her death then, a final send-off would have been >appropriate. B5 is still the best sci-alternative series ever because JMS >knew the formula for success: 5 years, sacrifice the most-loved characters, >end it before it gets too watered down. > >Theresa > > You really haven't been watching lately, have you? ;-) No Dawn was never a Slayer or potential Slayer. There was an episode where they did a locater spell and thought Dawn was it, but it turned out the potential had come to the front door just behind her.

2003-05-21 02:22:01-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Go-ta Maga-nus <hecknaw@home.com>)

2003-05-21 02:25:33-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Go-ta Maga-nus <hecknaw@home.com>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > long. > > Pete > nospamgmagnus at earthlink . net. Charleston Chew.

2003-05-21 02:25:33-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Go-ta Maga-nus <hecknaw@home.com>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > long. > > Pete > nospamgmagnus at earthlink . net. Charleston Chew.

2003-05-21 02:51:13+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (dorthsteve <dorthsteve@earthlink.net>)

Peter Meilinger says > Spoiler space... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I love Angel. His reaction to learning Spike has a soul is > pretty much exactly the same as mine was. I thought DB was hilarious. And the B/A moments were worth it if only because they set up Spike's line about how many people say hello with their tongues? > There is something wrong with you. As Melissa just said, you're > an egocentric bitch. > > That cookie speech is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I liked it. Thought it was kinda cute. >Plus, > it reminds me way too much of something I had Willow say in > a fic I wrote. Hmmph! Ah ha. Now who's an egocentric bitch? > Since when the hell do they care about a second front, anyway? > Buffy's never thought that far ahead. I wish I could think of it as > character growth, but I doubt it. > > She is, in fact, a dumbass. She is not. She did very well on the SAT's thankyouverymuch. >I like Dawn. Boo. Hiss. Dawn is the shark the show jumped. > How the hell does anyone get dumb enough to think that > they can create a huge vampire army without enough humans > finding out and stopping them? Vampires are remarkably > fragile creatures in the 21st century. They're vermin, > basically, and if they come out of the shadows they're > gonna get squashed. And I thought you'd be railing about how Willow was skeered to do even a simple locator spell because it would turn her all evil, but she goes ahead with *this* mojo and it's just nifty? > YESS!!!! D&D, BABY!!! I'm sorry I didn't tape this, just for > that moment. Indeed a great moment. > Are Anya and Xander back together? No. > See, this is why the vampire army won't ever win. First > of all, they're just a bit rip-off of the Uruk-Hai, and > second, how about some damned SENTRIES, people?! Is that a big rip off or a two bit ripoff? > Anyone else think this new Harrison Ford movie looks > really, really bad? Yes. > Oh, dear God, that is the worst friggin' special effect I've > ever seen. Which one? > Oh, dear lord. I changed my mind. THIS is the stupidest special > effect I've ever seen. Again, which? > How many innocent people did they just kill, ya think? Did they > evacuate the city, or something? People had already left. > Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > long. > > Pete Really? I'd like a Clark bar. Amusing, Mr. Meilinger.

2003-05-21 03:29:43+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (stardreamer@mindspring.com)

In article <baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu>, mellnger@bu.edu says... > >I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't >posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and >I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And >you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > >Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I >make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned >thing I say. > >Spoiler space... > > > > > > > > > > > > > >Is that idiot preacher with the black stuff on his face actually >supposed to look scary? Sheesh. I dunno about *looking* scary, but if you'd watched the previous few eps, he sure as hell *was* scary! >Anya kicking some ass. Cool. He shouldn't oughta mentioned the >bunnies... Yes, that was priceless. >How many innocent people did they just kill, ya think? Did they >evacuate the city, or something? Yes. Over the past few eps, it's been repeatedly remarked that people are leaving in droves. Apparently the glamour which keeps all the mundanes in total denial wore a bit thin after the FE showed up. >Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole >thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of >your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this >long. Ghirardelli Dark, please! <g> Celine -- Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat "Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring." -- Diane Duane, _Nightfall at Algemron_

2003-05-21 05:18:04+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (UN <unwilly@nomail.sbcglobal.net>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't > posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and > I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And > you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? Sure, any Pete post in an apocalypse is good. Un

2003-05-21 09:41:27+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (buffhunter@my-deja.com)

In article <aNAya.8019$rO.694393@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, intrepidsoul@earthlink.net says... > HI there, > > I actually read it through and liked it, though I think this send-off sucked > big time. > > My thoughts are: Anya died? Great. Spike died? Finally. > > My unanswered questions are: > > Does this mean Dawn is a Slayer? --- No. She did not get any powers. It was for girls around the world that were potentials. > > Why didn't Kennedy buy it too? In fact, why > didn't the whole lot of slayer-whinerbes buy it? ---- Because they became Slayer via Willow's activation spell. > > I had thought Willow was going to die, --- Why? > > but it's no biggie. What is, though is that Buffy didn't. That > was stupid. After Glory and her death then, a final send-off would have been > appropriate. ----- If Buffy would had died then the First would had a victory of sorts. This was ment to have a happy ending. She is no longer, with Faith the only girl in all the world to stand against the evil. Buffy has got her reward: A potentially (no pun intended) normal life. > > B5 is still the best sci-alternative series ever because JMS > knew the formula for success: 5 years, sacrifice the most-loved characters, > end it before it gets too watered down. > > Theresa > --- -- ----->Hunter "No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'." -----William J. McDonald Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

2003-05-21 12:21:19-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On 21 May 2003 13:47:32 GMT, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote: >UN <unwilly@nomail.sbcglobal.net> wrote: > >>> I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And >>> you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > >>Sure, any Pete post in an apocalypse is good. > >Awwww! You're gonna make me blush. Hell, you might even make >me come back to the newsgroup. After the finale furor dies >down, at least. Say "Pete posts in 'pocalypse" three times really fast. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-05-21 12:59:22-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:51:05 GMT, "dorthsteve" <dorthsteve@earthlink.net> wrote: > >Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message >news:bafvql$sdm$5@news3.bu.edu... >> dorthsteve <dorthsteve@earthlink.net> wrote: >> >Peter Meilinger says > >> >> She is, in fact, a dumbass. >> >> >She is not. She did very well on the SAT's thankyouverymuch. >> >> I can easily conceive of dumbasses who would do well on >> tests. Eric Foreman does pretty well in school, for example, >> but as his father constantly points out, he is, in fact, >> a dumbass. > >I agree that someone who is booksmart can well be a dumbass. But even though >I know lots of folks think Buffy is none too bright, I disagree. I think she >has lapses of judgment, or makes poor decisions, but it's because she's an >"act first" character. > >Faith, much as I love her, is the one who seems not the brightest, shiniest >penny in the coin purse. That's Faith's Achilles Heel. She doesn't know what an Achilles Heel is. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-05-21 13:35:08+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Chad <chadpainter@zoominternet.net> wrote: >> Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole >> thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of >> your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this >> long. >I like snickers. Sure, but what's your address? >The girl with the long face was on freaks and geeks Yes! Thank you. That was driving me nuts. Pete

2003-05-21 13:37:46+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com> wrote: >"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message >news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... >> Spoiler space... >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Oh, that's Kennedy. Tara was much, much prettier. >I think so, too, but I have to admit that Kennedy's been kinda growing on >me. She didn't annoy me too much in this ep, which is pretty impressive given what I've heard about her. >> "Sweet girl, not that bright." Best fucking Willow line EVER! >Especially since it's really a rip at *herself,* and her own flaws, rather >than Buffy...<sniff> our Will's all grown up... She certainly didn't seem like someone who lost her true love and tried to destroy the world only a year ago, though. >> Okay, cool original four moment. Forced, but cool. >I think I actually wrote that scene in a post to the newsgroup a few months >ago. You should sue. C'mon, it's gotta be worth a few bucks. >> In Melissa's defense, I did say that what I wanted was >> Tara's slutty outfit from Xander's dream in Restless. >> >> Ow, again. >ROFLMAO!! Thank you, thank you. >> Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole >> thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of >> your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this >> long. >Hershey's Symphony, thanks. >Oh, hell, I got a good laugh out of this post, so we'll call it square. Fair enough! Pete

2003-05-21 13:43:49+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

dorthsteve <dorthsteve@earthlink.net> wrote: >Peter Meilinger says >> Spoiler space... >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> I love Angel. His reaction to learning Spike has a soul is >> pretty much exactly the same as mine was. >I thought DB was hilarious. And the B/A moments were worth it if only >because they set up Spike's line about how many people say hello with their >tongues? Heh. >> There is something wrong with you. As Melissa just said, you're >> an egocentric bitch. >> >> That cookie speech is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. >I liked it. Thought it was kinda cute. Eh. I'd probably like it more the second time around. I didn't really start enjoying the episode until after the first commercial break. >>Plus, >> it reminds me way too much of something I had Willow say in >> a fic I wrote. Hmmph! >Ah ha. Now who's an egocentric bitch? I've never claimed to be anything else. >> She is, in fact, a dumbass. >She is not. She did very well on the SAT's thankyouverymuch. I can easily conceive of dumbasses who would do well on tests. Eric Foreman does pretty well in school, for example, but as his father constantly points out, he is, in fact, a dumbass. >>I like Dawn. >Boo. Hiss. Dawn is the shark the show jumped. Nah. I think they handled Dawn pretty well, all things considered. I'd say the gradual redemption of Spike was the lead up to the shark, and giving him his soul was when the jump actually occurred. >> How the hell does anyone get dumb enough to think that >> they can create a huge vampire army without enough humans >> finding out and stopping them? Vampires are remarkably >> fragile creatures in the 21st century. They're vermin, >> basically, and if they come out of the shadows they're >> gonna get squashed. >And I thought you'd be railing about how Willow was skeered to do even a >simple locator spell because it would turn her all evil, but she goes ahead >with *this* mojo and it's just nifty? Good point. >> Are Anya and Xander back together? >No. Ah, well. Kinda moot now. >> See, this is why the vampire army won't ever win. First >> of all, they're just a bit rip-off of the Uruk-Hai, and >> second, how about some damned SENTRIES, people?! >Is that a big rip off or a two bit ripoff? It's a, uh, combination of the two! Yeah, that's the ticket. It wasn't a typo in any way, shape or form. >> Anyone else think this new Harrison Ford movie looks >> really, really bad? >Yes. Phew. Thought Melissa and I might be the only ones. >> Oh, dear God, that is the worst friggin' special effect I've >> ever seen. >Which one? I think I was referring to Willow being lit from below by the cuddly goodness of the spell she was casting. >> Oh, dear lord. I changed my mind. THIS is the stupidest special >> effect I've ever seen. >Again, which? Spike's deus ex machina sunbeams. I especially liked his bad impression of a palsy victim before the SFX cut in. >> How many innocent people did they just kill, ya think? Did they >> evacuate the city, or something? >People had already left. The whole town? And this didn't alert the outside world that something weird was going on? I really am glad I haven't been watching lately. >> Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole >> thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of >> your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this >> long. >Really? I'd like a Clark bar. As you wish. >Amusing, Mr. Meilinger. Thanks! Pete

2003-05-21 13:46:07+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Lee S. Billings <stardreamer@mindspring.com> wrote: >In article <baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu>, mellnger@bu.edu says... >> >>I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't >>posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and >>I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And >>you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? >> >>Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I >>make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned >>thing I say. >> >>Spoiler space... >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>Is that idiot preacher with the black stuff on his face actually >>supposed to look scary? Sheesh. >I dunno about *looking* scary, but if you'd watched the previous few eps, he >sure as hell *was* scary! I'll have to take your word for it. He looked like something off of Little House On The Prairie to me. >>Anya kicking some ass. Cool. He shouldn't oughta mentioned the >>bunnies... >Yes, that was priceless. The way they handled her death was good, too. And very understated for this show. >>How many innocent people did they just kill, ya think? Did they >>evacuate the city, or something? >Yes. Over the past few eps, it's been repeatedly remarked that people are >leaving in droves. But did everyone leave? I mean, hell, there was that one idiot who stayed even when he KNEW that Mt. St. Helen's was going to blow. I have a hard time believing there was no one in Sunnydale when it went kablooey. >Apparently the glamour which keeps all the mundanes in total >denial wore a bit thin after the FE showed up. But it's still alive and well in the rest of the world? I'm thinking thirty thousand refugees in Southern California might be noticed. >>Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole >>thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of >>your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this >>long. >Ghirardelli Dark, please! <g> But where's it going? Pete

2003-05-21 13:47:32+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

UN <unwilly@nomail.sbcglobal.net> wrote: >> I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And >> you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? >Sure, any Pete post in an apocalypse is good. Awwww! You're gonna make me blush. Hell, you might even make me come back to the newsgroup. After the finale furor dies down, at least. Pete

2003-05-21 13:48:34+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu>)

Go-ta Maga-nus <hecknaw@home.com> wrote: >"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message >news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... >> Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole >> thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of >> your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this >> long. >nospamgmagnus at earthlink . net. >Charleston Chew. Friend, if I knew how to email chocolate bars, I'd be richer than Bill Gates... Pete

2003-05-21 13:59:37+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote: > I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't > posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and > I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And > you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > > Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I > make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned > thing I say. > > Spoiler space... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [huge snip] > "Sweet girl, not that bright." Best fucking Willow line EVER! I hated that line. I thought that there was no way Willow would ever say that about Buffy. She especially wouldn't say it to Kennedy, some girl who just showed up. It would be different if she had said it to Giles, and been rebuffed. But for her to say that to Kennedy was a sign, to me, of how far things had fallen. [another huge snip] > Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > long. > > Pete Great post Pete. I missed your writings here over the recent past. -- A.E. Jabbour "Oh! I know this one: Slaying entails certain sacrifices ... blah blah bitty blah, I'm so stuffy, give me a scone." Buffy, "Inca Mummy Girl"

2003-05-21 16:14:46+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (UN <unwilly@nomail.sbcglobal.net>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:bag01k$sdm$7@news3.bu.edu... > UN <unwilly@nomail.sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > >> I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And > >> you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > > >Sure, any Pete post in an apocalypse is good. > > Awwww! You're gonna make me blush. Hell, you might even make > me come back to the newsgroup. After the finale furor dies > down, at least. Don't bother with the NG, come back to Limbo/Cafe. Always more interesting there. Plus most of us have LJ's, so you get daily doses of fun. Unwilly

2003-05-21 16:35:35+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (stardreamer@mindspring.com)

In article <bafvuu$sdm$6@news3.bu.edu>, mellnger@bu.edu says... > >Lee S. Billings <stardreamer@mindspring.com> wrote: >>In article <baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu>, mellnger@bu.edu says... >>> >>>I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't >>>posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and >>>I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And >>>you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? >>> >>>Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I >>>make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned >>>thing I say. >>> >>>Spoiler space... >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> > >>>Is that idiot preacher with the black stuff on his face actually >>>supposed to look scary? Sheesh. > >>I dunno about *looking* scary, but if you'd watched the previous few eps, he >>sure as hell *was* scary! > >I'll have to take your word for it. He looked like something off >of Little House On The Prairie to me. He was supposed to. That's part of what made him so creepy, the aw-shucks good-ole-boy attitude contrasting with the sheer evil of the person. He was a total psychopath, a long-term serial killer who got his sexual kicks from torturing women, who hid inside the guise of a preacher because that brought him an unending stream of fresh victims. He was the Essence of Evil -- in a human way rather than a demonic one. And it was made clear that he was like that *long before* the FE ever got hold of him. He joined with the FE because they were natural soulmates. >>>How many innocent people did they just kill, ya think? Did they >>>evacuate the city, or something? > >>Yes. Over the past few eps, it's been repeatedly remarked that people are >>leaving in droves. > >But did everyone leave? I mean, hell, there was that one idiot >who stayed even when he KNEW that Mt. St. Helen's was going to >blow. I have a hard time believing there was no one in Sunnydale >when it went kablooey. Yeah, Buffy chased away one of the holdouts a couple of episodes back. But if there were a few people still left, they chose their own fate, just like the guy by Mt. St. Helen's. It's not like they didn't have plenty of warning. >>Apparently the glamour which keeps all the mundanes in total >>denial wore a bit thin after the FE showed up. > >But it's still alive and well in the rest of the world? I'm >thinking thirty thousand refugees in Southern California might >be noticed. Who says they all stayed in SoCal? If I'd been one of those people, I'd have been headed for the East Coast! <g> Seriously, though, I think they'd scatter. Some of the people along the major roads out might notice the exodus and wonder briefly about it. But the news stories will probably be along the lines of "Sunnydale devastated by earthquake," and that'll be the end of that. And a country the size of the US can absorb 30,000 people and never even notice, as long as they didn't all go to one place. Celine -- Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat "Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring." -- Diane Duane, _Nightfall at Algemron_

2003-05-21 16:50:33+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com>)

"AE Jabbour" <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote in message news:bag0o8$s9kvp$4@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de... > Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote: > > I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't > > posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and > > I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. And > > you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? > > > > Remember, all these comments were stream of consciousness. I > > make no guarantees you'll be able to understand a damned > > thing I say. > > > > Spoiler space... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [huge snip] > > > "Sweet girl, not that bright." Best fucking Willow line EVER! > > I hated that line. I thought that there was no way Willow would > ever say that about Buffy. She especially wouldn't say it to > Kennedy, some girl who just showed up. It would be different if > she had said it to Giles, and been rebuffed. But for her to say > that to Kennedy was a sign, to me, of how far things had fallen. > I still say that was a rip at *herself,* not Buffy. She was answering Kennedy's "Buffy believes in you." -- Rowan Hawthorn

2003-05-21 16:51:05+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (dorthsteve <dorthsteve@earthlink.net>)

2003-05-21 17:31:04+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:bafvfa$sdm$4@news3.bu.edu... > Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com> wrote: > >"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message > >news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > > >> Spoiler space... > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > <snip> > >> "Sweet girl, not that bright." Best fucking Willow line EVER! > > >Especially since it's really a rip at *herself,* and her own flaws, rather > >than Buffy...<sniff> our Will's all grown up... > > She certainly didn't seem like someone who lost her true love > and tried to destroy the world only a year ago, though. > No, she didn't, and I think that's kinda the point there. She recognizes the darkness in her personality, now - something that she and most of her friends had either ignored or been unaware of. She's faced herself and didn't much like what she saw. Which is a pretty good indicator that the good will outweigh the bad in the end. -- Rowan Hawthorn

2003-05-21 21:30:05-04:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Go-ta Maga-nus <hecknaw@home.com>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:bag03i$sdm$8@news3.bu.edu... > Go-ta Maga-nus <hecknaw@home.com> wrote: > >"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message > >news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > >> Okay, that's it from me, folks. If you actually read this whole > >> thing, send me your address and I'll mail you the candy bar of > >> your choice. You deserve it for putting up with my shit this > >> long. > > >nospamgmagnus at earthlink . net. > > >Charleston Chew. > > Friend, if I knew how to email chocolate bars, I'd be richer > than Bill Gates... > > Pete Dude, I'm not going to post my address on the net :) Show me a picture of it and I'll send it to you.

2003-05-21 21:57:54-07:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (George Avalos <gavalos@mindspring.com>)

"Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message news:baejlt$2h6$1@news3.bu.edu... > I haven't watched the show since November. I haven't > posted here in almost as long. But I watched the finale, and > I jotted down every single thought I had along the way. Not turning blue just yet... >And you guys get to read 'em! Don't you feel lucky? You didn't really want an answer, did you? -George

2003-05-25 10:59:56+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com> wrote: > I still say that was a rip at *herself,* not Buffy. She was answering > Kennedy's "Buffy believes in you." > > -- > Rowan Hawthorn I suppose that's possible, though I still don't see it. I actually said "What?!" out loud when she said that. I thought maybe I heard wrong. But, yeah, your interpretation makes it less offensive. Unfortunately, I don't quite *get* how it was a rip on herself. -- A.E. Jabbour "Oh! I know this one: Slaying entails certain sacrifices ... blah blah bitty blah, I'm so stuffy, give me a scone." Buffy, "Inca Mummy Girl"

2003-05-25 12:39:42+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com>)

"AE Jabbour" <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote in message news:baq7nc$29147$1@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de... > Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > I still say that was a rip at *herself,* not Buffy. She was answering > > Kennedy's "Buffy believes in you." > > > > -- > > Rowan Hawthorn > > I suppose that's possible, though I still don't see it. I actually > said "What?!" out loud when she said that. I thought maybe I heard > wrong. > > But, yeah, your interpretation makes it less offensive. Unfortunately, > I don't quite *get* how it was a rip on herself. > Despite the two or three occassions when the two of them were at odds, one thing that has been consistent is that Willow has *always* been there for Buffy; in "Normal Again," Buffy tells her, "You never stop coming through." But now she's terrified of herself, and when Kennedy says "Buffy believes in you," her answer is that Buffy's a sweet girl, but not that bright. People IRL might say something like, "That's not the smartest thing anybody ever did," or "Then she's not too smart, is she?" IOW, she doesn't believe in herself, and doesn't believe she can be trusted. She might be right, although she did come through again. -- Rowan Hawthorn

2003-05-25 14:04:13+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Despite the two or three occassions when the two of them were at odds, one > thing that has been consistent is that Willow has *always* been there for > Buffy; in "Normal Again," Buffy tells her, "You never stop coming through." > But now she's terrified of herself, and when Kennedy says "Buffy believes in > you," her answer is that Buffy's a sweet girl, but not that bright. People > IRL might say something like, "That's not the smartest thing anybody ever > did," or "Then she's not too smart, is she?" IOW, she doesn't believe in > herself, and doesn't believe she can be trusted. She might be right, > although she did come through again. > > -- > Rowan Hawthorn Ahhh ... ok, I got it. I don't know why I was being so dense. That makes sense now, and I can see how she could say that under those circumstances. That is actually the only way that line makes sense. I can't believe I didn't see that. Maybe I was too mad to actually think about it. :) Thanks for clearing that up for me. -- A.E. Jabbour "Oh! I know this one: Slaying entails certain sacrifices ... blah blah bitty blah, I'm so stuffy, give me a scone." Buffy, "Inca Mummy Girl"

2003-05-26 17:46:05+00:00 - Re: A disgruntled fan's take on the finale - (Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com>)

"AE Jabbour" <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote in message news:baqigs$2e4pu$4@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de... > Rowan Hawthorn <rowan_hawthorn@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > > Despite the two or three occassions when the two of them were at odds, one > > thing that has been consistent is that Willow has *always* been there for > > Buffy; in "Normal Again," Buffy tells her, "You never stop coming through." > > But now she's terrified of herself, and when Kennedy says "Buffy believes in > > you," her answer is that Buffy's a sweet girl, but not that bright. People > > IRL might say something like, "That's not the smartest thing anybody ever > > did," or "Then she's not too smart, is she?" IOW, she doesn't believe in > > herself, and doesn't believe she can be trusted. She might be right, > > although she did come through again. > > > > -- > > Rowan Hawthorn > > Ahhh ... ok, I got it. I don't know why I was being so dense. > > That makes sense now, and I can see how she could say that under those > circumstances. That is actually the only way that line makes sense. I > can't believe I didn't see that. Maybe I was too mad to actually think > about it. :) > > Thanks for clearing that up for me. > s'all right! -- Rowan Hawthorn