FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-03 16:56:34-05:00 - When was "Big Bad" first mentioned? - (EGK <egk@hotmail.com>)

This is in reference to a post in another thread titled "fans who don't ilke shows anymore". On 3 Jan 2003 12:45:51 -0800, crassmaster@crasscards.com (CrassMaster) wrote: >i like this season... and i love buffy the show, but i dont think it >compares to season two or three > >I am a fan of the standalones, I love the reoccurring "big bad" >storyline ( even though i cringe every time i hear the term "scoobies" >or "big bad" ... it is so frigging over used it is DAMN annoying and >lame. Once was cute, twice was cute, NO MORE!!!! ), One thing i've noticed people post more then once (i've mentioned it myself) is the show is often very self referential at times in later seasons and even seems to steal fan terms. Does anyone know when the term for the season's villain was first nick-named "The big bad"? I noticed in Bring on the NIght when Willow had a line referring to it. It's probably been said before but i'm not sure when and in this situation it just seemed to stand out. Anyone know if the show created it or did they take the term from fandom? DAWN I saw Mom. WILLOW It's the Big Bad, Dawn. The one we knew was coming. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)

2003-01-04 04:41:07-06:00 - Re: When was "Big Bad" first mentioned? - (Zombie Elvis <DELETE-ME-2-REPLY-castillo@enteract.com>)

It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness: EGK <egk@hotmail.com> wrote in <021c1v4d1fmb7cemkupa16qr1lfn9iddve@4ax.com>: > This is in reference to a post in another thread titled "fans who don't ilke > shows anymore". > > On 3 Jan 2003 12:45:51 -0800, crassmaster@crasscards.com (CrassMaster) > wrote: > > >i like this season... and i love buffy the show, but i dont think it > >compares to season two or three > > > >I am a fan of the standalones, I love the reoccurring "big bad" > >storyline ( even though i cringe every time i hear the term "scoobies" > >or "big bad" ... it is so frigging over used it is DAMN annoying and > >lame. Once was cute, twice was cute, NO MORE!!!! ), > > One thing i've noticed people post more then once (i've mentioned it myself) > is the show is often very self referential at times in later seasons and > even seems to steal fan terms. Does anyone know when the term for the > season's villain was first nick-named "The big bad"? I noticed in Bring on > the NIght when Willow had a line referring to it. It's probably been said > before but i'm not sure when and in this situation it just seemed to stand > out. Anyone know if the show created it or did they take the term from > fandom? > Spike refers to himself as "The Big Bad" just before Initiative soldiers zap him. -- "Welcome to the Hellmouth, where even outerwear isn't safe. -- Xander Harris Roberto Castillo castillo@enteract.com http://www.enteract.com/~castillo

2003-01-04 12:43:01-05:00 - Re: When was "Big Bad" first mentioned? - (EGK <egk@hotmail.com>)

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:41:07 -0600, Zombie Elvis <DELETE-ME-2-REPLY-castillo@enteract.com> wrote: >It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs >and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness: EGK ><egk@hotmail.com> wrote in ><021c1v4d1fmb7cemkupa16qr1lfn9iddve@4ax.com>: > >> This is in reference to a post in another thread titled "fans who don't ilke >> shows anymore". >> >> On 3 Jan 2003 12:45:51 -0800, crassmaster@crasscards.com (CrassMaster) >> wrote: >> >> >i like this season... and i love buffy the show, but i dont think it >> >compares to season two or three >> > >> >I am a fan of the standalones, I love the reoccurring "big bad" >> >storyline ( even though i cringe every time i hear the term "scoobies" >> >or "big bad" ... it is so frigging over used it is DAMN annoying and >> >lame. Once was cute, twice was cute, NO MORE!!!! ), >> >> One thing i've noticed people post more then once (i've mentioned it myself) >> is the show is often very self referential at times in later seasons and >> even seems to steal fan terms. Does anyone know when the term for the >> season's villain was first nick-named "The big bad"? I noticed in Bring on >> the NIght when Willow had a line referring to it. It's probably been said >> before but i'm not sure when and in this situation it just seemed to stand >> out. Anyone know if the show created it or did they take the term from >> fandom? >> >Spike refers to himself as "The Big Bad" just before Initiative >soldiers zap him. hmm, I know Spike has referred to to himself but I meant have Buffy, Giles or the scoobies ever referred to the main season villain as "The Big Bad" It just struck me in the last episode when Willow did that. It sounded like the writers taking the slang terms right from fandom. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)

2003-01-04 19:47:52-08:00 - Re: When was "Big Bad" first mentioned? - (czrisher@yahoo.com)

EGK <egk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<877e1vo21nilc8cme1s7v2lh4kg11kkt4f@4ax.com>... > On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:41:07 -0600, Zombie Elvis <snip> > >Spike refers to himself as "The Big Bad" just before Initiative > >soldiers zap him. > > hmm, I know Spike has referred to to himself but I meant have Buffy, Giles > or the scoobies ever referred to the main season villain as "The Big Bad" > It just struck me in the last episode when Willow did that. It sounded like > the writers taking the slang terms right from fandom. After Spike's self-referential -- I believe it was after returning to UC Sunnydale, but would believe it had occurred earlier -- he was later taunted by Xander -- and, perhaps, others -- that he was "not the 'big bad' anymore". It definitely seems to me that the slang terms have been adopted, your two being the most noticeable. As I recall, Bronzers have been incorporated into the show as well. The best example I can recall was a demon Buffy & the Initiative were sent after being named after a poster. Thus, whether it is true or not that writers avoid fanfic, it is equally true that they pay attention to posters. (I've heard numerous times that Whedon frequents(ed) The Bronze, but I cannot confirm.)