FLM films - My Webpage

2002-12-23 04:20:46-05:00 - The Slayer's Salary - (TrekFan <trekfan8@comcast.net>)

Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy has been struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the Watchers always tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their Slayer duties and nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council pay the current Slayer a salary so she can totally dedicate her time to vampire and demon slayage?

2002-12-23 04:20:46-05:00 - The Slayer's Salary - (TrekFan <trekfan8@comcast.net>)

Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy has been struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the Watchers always tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their Slayer duties and nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council pay the current Slayer a salary so she can totally dedicate her time to vampire and demon slayage?

2002-12-23 08:11:11-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

TrekFan wrote: > > Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy has been > struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the Watchers always > tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their Slayer duties and > nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council pay the current Slayer a > salary so she can totally dedicate her time to vampire and demon slayage? I think the ME writers didn't think this one through. Obviously the CoW was paying the expenses of the SiTs. Someone was paying for the rathole Faith was living in, and Faith didn't seem to have any means of support. There is no reason that the CoW shouldn't have been paying Buffy just because she was living with Joyce. They also should have been paying Buffy after Giles was reinstated.

2002-12-23 08:15:13-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

liv wrote: > > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:20:46 -0500, "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> > wrote: > > >Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > >several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy has been > >struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the Watchers always > >tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their Slayer duties and > >nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council pay the current Slayer a > >salary so she can totally dedicate her time to vampire and demon slayage? > > > --------------------------------------------------- > I'd think they'd expect the Watcher to support the Slayer, and give > him extra money while Watching a Slayer, or SIT. As to how she is > managing her finances, anyone's guess. Perhaps he was paying property > taxes, water taxes, heating bills, and so on--fast food wages don't > run a house and feed/medical two people. > So that's how Giles was able to buy a new car and invest in the Magic Box. He was pocketing Buffy's money. No wonder he wanted to get outta the country so quickly when Buffy came back. That explains it all.

2002-12-23 09:24:51-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

The Silent Man wrote: > > "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> wrote in > news:Tt-dnccOVKDtSJujXTWc3g@comcast.com: > > > Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > > several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy > > has been struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the > > Watchers always tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their > > Slayer duties and nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council > > pay the current Slayer a salary so she can totally dedicate her time > > to vampire and demon slayage? > > > > > > > > 'Cause then they open themselves up to all sorts of legal issues; the > CoW was in England, and Buffy's in America. British Pounds are worth > more than American dollars, the last time I looked at the currency > conversion rate. Plus, there'd be international agreements for things > like taxes to be taken out of Buffy's paycheck, etc. I can see it now, > as Buffy filled out her W-2: > > Buffy: "Occupation?" Slayer. "Number of dependents?" Hey, > Willow, what's the current world population? > > > I don't think the Watchers themselves are paid; Yes, they are. Buffy bargained for Giles re-instatement and back wages in "Checkpoint". > they just have access to > lots of books. :) The Watchers gotta live too, so I would imagine the > Slayer's expected to fend for herself when she needs money. Do you believe that those 14 and 15 year old SiTs are supporting themselves?

2002-12-23 16:14:42+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (The Silent Man <noneedtoknow@yeahright.com>)

"TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> wrote in news:Tt-dnccOVKDtSJujXTWc3g@comcast.com: > Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy > has been struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the > Watchers always tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their > Slayer duties and nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council > pay the current Slayer a salary so she can totally dedicate her time > to vampire and demon slayage? > > > 'Cause then they open themselves up to all sorts of legal issues; the CoW was in England, and Buffy's in America. British Pounds are worth more than American dollars, the last time I looked at the currency conversion rate. Plus, there'd be international agreements for things like taxes to be taken out of Buffy's paycheck, etc. I can see it now, as Buffy filled out her W-2: Buffy: "Occupation?" Slayer. "Number of dependents?" Hey, Willow, what's the current world population? More than that, I don't particularly see how the CoW had funding themselves. They're likely a private cabal of individuals who have independent wealth or daytime jobs. Consider: Merick, Buffy's original Watcher, looked practically like a homeless guy. Giles was first employed as a high school librarian, then he owned a magic shop. Prior to all of that, he was a curator at a British museum. No one knows WHAT Wesley was doing prior to becoming Buffy's replacement Watcher, but after he got kicked out of the CoW, he went into full-time mercenary demon-slaying. I don't think the Watchers themselves are paid; they just have access to lots of books. :) The Watchers gotta live too, so I would imagine the Slayer's expected to fend for herself when she needs money. Giles probably has a closer relationship with Buffy than most Watchers have with their Slayers, and even he got a little tired of loaning Buffy money after the first or second time. The Silent Man

2002-12-23 16:16:22+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (The Silent Man <noneedtoknow@yeahright.com>)

liv <liv@ziplink.net> wrote in news:aa4e0v430s71cthrth9filokkapubumobb@4ax.com: > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:20:46 -0500, "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> > wrote: > >>Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had >>several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy >>has been struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the >>Watchers always tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their >>Slayer duties and nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council >>pay the current Slayer a salary so she can totally dedicate her time >>to vampire and demon slayage? >> > --------------------------------------------------- > I'd think they'd expect the Watcher to support the Slayer, and give > him extra money while Watching a Slayer, or SIT. As to how she is > managing her finances, anyone's guess. Perhaps he was paying property > taxes, water taxes, heating bills, and so on--fast food wages don't > run a house and feed/medical two people. > > > liv > liv@garbage.ziplink.net > take out the garbage to reply... > > If you can't beat your computer at chess try kickboxing. > Didn't they make an indication after Joy's death that she had made appropriate arrangements financially? All the bills were current, and I think the house was paid off. I would certainly HOPE so... The kind of damage the Summers abode has suffered is pretty extensive, and has to do nasty things to the property value above and beyond the mere Sunnydale location. :) The Silent Man

2002-12-23 21:52:08+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Chris Zabel <alephnull@earthlink.net>)

"TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> wrote in message news:Tt-dnccOVKDtSJujXTWc3g@comcast.com... > Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy has been > struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the Watchers always > tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their Slayer duties and > nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council pay the current Slayer a > salary so she can totally dedicate her time to vampire and demon slayage? > > > You would have to believe that a group as old as the CoW would have some major financial resources, especially considering the type of information they possess. I really hope the CoW had a contingency plan so that if they were destroyed like this season that any remaining Slayer/Watcher would inherit the fortune. It would kill off the stupid storyline of the Slayer ever needing a regular job(remember the disaster of Doublemeat Palace anyone?).

2002-12-23 22:25:14+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <cALN9.2773$ka5.329713@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Chris Zabel" <alephnull@earthlink.net> wrote: > It would kill off the stupid storyline of the Slayer > ever needing a regular job(remember the disaster of Doublemeat Palace > anyone?). You mean it's possible to forget that? How, please? -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2002-12-24 07:28:15+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (dsueme@core.com)

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:20:46 -0500, "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> wrote: >Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had >several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Exactly when did you ever see a farthing change hands? Dave When the Prime Minister spoke yesterday I thought to myself, "I hope I'll be able to give a speech like that when I grow up" - Bill Clinton, October 2, 2002

2002-12-24 08:04:36-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

"David M. Sueme" wrote: > > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:20:46 -0500, "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> > wrote: > > >Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > >several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. > > Exactly when did you ever see a farthing change hands? > > Dave Direct deposit.

2002-12-24 08:04:36-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

"David M. Sueme" wrote: > > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:20:46 -0500, "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> > wrote: > > >Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > >several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. > > Exactly when did you ever see a farthing change hands? > > Dave Direct deposit.

2002-12-24 09:05:17-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (salmoneous@aol.com)

You guys forget that Buffy quit being the Council's Slayer. For all we know, the Council *does* pay Slayers. Maybe not when they are juvinilens, or maybe the money is kept in trust. <fanwalk> They keep mailing checks; it's not their fault Buffy tosses all mail from the CoW unopened </fanwalk> Whether it is routine or not, Buffy quit the Council - and good for her - but there are consequences. Not getting paid may be one of them.

2002-12-24 09:38:47-08:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

liv wrote: > > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 08:15:13 -0800, Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote: > > >liv wrote: > >> > >> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:20:46 -0500, "TrekFan" <trekfan8@comcast.net> > >> wrote: > >> > >> >Had a thought. Before the council was pretty much destroyed, they had > >> >several Watchers and probably other employees on the payroll. Buffy has been > >> >struggling for about a year now with her finances. And, the Watchers always > >> >tell the Slayers that they should concentrate on their Slayer duties and > >> >nothing else. So, why doesn't the Watchers Council pay the current Slayer a > >> >salary so she can totally dedicate her time to vampire and demon slayage? > >> > > >> --------------------------------------------------- > >> I'd think they'd expect the Watcher to support the Slayer, and give > >> him extra money while Watching a Slayer, or SIT. As to how she is > >> managing her finances, anyone's guess. Perhaps he was paying property > >> taxes, water taxes, heating bills, and so on--fast food wages don't > >> run a house and feed/medical two people. > >> > >So that's how Giles was able to buy a new car and invest in the Magic > >Box. He was pocketing Buffy's money. No wonder he wanted to get outta > >the country so quickly when Buffy came back. That explains it all. > -------------------- > Well, that seems to be the method that generally makes the most sense, > but we haven't seen any evidence that is happening--or that the > Watchers have made any provision for the Slayers. Considering they are > usually young, die young, and come from a group that doesn't get paid > much, under any circumstances, it seems odd that they haven't. Buffy thought Giles was being generous with the check he gave her before he left, but it was really just back wages. Apparently it was just enough to pay for the plumbing since she was working at the Doublemeat Palace a couple of weeks later.

2002-12-24 10:54:08+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Tazzers <tazzers@nowhere.com>)

2002-12-25 21:43:16-05:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (Bruce in Cleveland <bmorison@apk.net>)

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:18:03 -0800, Hank Tiffany <davidt@cet.com> wrote: >On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, The Silent Man wrote: > >> "Tazzers" <tazzers@nowhere.com> wrote in >> news:J0XN9.289863$pN3.22273@sccrnsc03: >> >> >> >> >> I don't think the Watchers themselves are paid; they just have access >> >> to lots of books. :) >> >> The Silent Man >> > >> > Watchers do get paid. Remember Giles got fired in Helpless, then >> > rehired in Checkpoint to be paid retroactive from the month he got >> > fired. -- >> > >> >> Dang... They can't get paid much, then. :) Giles seems to constantly >> be working to do SOMETHING for money, whether he's a museum curator, >> librarian or store owner. :) > >It's called a cover. > >> Of course, that WOULD explain why his >> apartment is so tiny... Then again, I would figure that with Sunnydale >> as close as it is to Los Angeles, even a place that small would probably >> be through the roof with its rent. > >Naw, property is *cheap* in SunnyD, as Xander remarked in season 1. > >Hank now that wouldn't happen to be because of it's PROXIMITY TO THE HELLMOUTH now would it?

2002-12-27 05:29:24+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:16:22 GMT, The Silent Man <noneedtoknow@yeahright.com> wrote: >Didn't they make an indication after Joy's death that she had made >appropriate arrangements financially? All the bills were current, and I >think the house was paid off. I would certainly HOPE so... The kind of >damage the Summers abode has suffered is pretty extensive, and has to do >nasty things to the property value above and beyond the mere Sunnydale >location. :) Why would the house have been paid off after only what, five years? Most mortgages are for 15 or 30 years. And the show made it clear that Joyce (a self-employed individual) had a lot of medical bills that ate up a lot of the savings. And then there was a period with no wage earner in the house while Buffy was dead. Willow and Tara were performing above and beyond the duties of friendship already by providing free full-time care for a fourteen-year-old who had just lost both her mother and older sister so I'm not faulting them.

2002-12-27 05:29:26+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:14:42 GMT, The Silent Man <noneedtoknow@yeahright.com> wrote: >More than that, I don't particularly see how the CoW had funding >themselves. They're likely a private cabal of individuals who have >independent wealth or daytime jobs. Any organization that has survived as long as the CoW will be very wealthy. Just look at the Catholic Church. And the CoW has access to magic, prophecies, and very intelligent and well-educated people. I think more to the point, it's only been fairly recently (by the Council's timescale) that the idea of paying women for jobs has taken hold. It used to be that women were the property of their father until mariage and their husband thereafter. It may have just been assumed that the Watcher would take the SIT as a child and pay its way the way he would for a daughter. This would be especially likely if most slayers were called in their early to mid teens and didn't frequently live through their mid-twenties.

2002-12-27 21:44:20+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (coldhrtedwench@aol.com)

2002-12-27 21:45:46+00:00 - Re: The Slayer's Salary - (coldhrtedwench@aol.com)