FLM films - My Webpage

2002-12-31 01:55:07-06:00 - Dushku in True Lies - ("Stimpson J. Cat" <house@next.tuesday>)

I was bored tonight, and I saw the movie "True Lies" on A&E. I had seen this movie in the theater years ago. Anyway, I did not realize that Eliza Dushku is in the movie, as the daughter of the spy and his wife (A. Shwarzeneger and JL Curtis). Anyway, her performance was downright impressive! In the scene at the end with the chase on the crane and the Hawker jet, she performed exceptionally well. That chick is a really good actress. Good movie too, btw. I am not generally a fan of hokey action movies, but this one was different. It was kind of comedy/action. Very entertaining. Stimpson

2002-12-31 10:38:28+00:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (rander3127@aol.com)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 01:55:07 -0600, Stimpson J. Cat <house@next.tuesday> wrote: >I was bored tonight, and I saw the movie "True Lies" on A&E. I had >seen this movie in the theater years ago. Anyway, I did not realize >that Eliza Dushku is in the movie, as the daughter of the spy and his >wife (A. Shwarzeneger and JL Curtis). Anyway, her performance was >downright impressive! In the scene at the end with the chase on the >crane and the Hawker jet, she performed exceptionally well. That chick >is a really good actress. Good movie too, btw. I am not generally a >fan of hokey action movies, but this one was different. It was kind of >comedy/action. Very entertaining. > >Stimpson What set it apart was the quality of the effects which were near seamless. Unlike the horrifically bad "action" scenes in recent movies like "Spiderman." -Rich

2002-12-31 10:42:59+00:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (dstep <dstep@babaloo.net>)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 01:55:07 -0600, Stimpson J. Cat <house@next.tuesday> wrote: >I was bored tonight, and I saw the movie "True Lies" on A&E. I had >seen this movie in the theater years ago. Anyway, I did not realize >that Eliza Dushku is in the movie, as the daughter of the spy and his >wife (A. Shwarzeneger and JL Curtis). AHAH yeah, they keep showing this on FX or some station like a billion times and I caught it once and went "HEY ITS FAITH!" I saw that film in the theater when it first came out, but never rememberd faith when buffy started. > Anyway, her performance was >downright impressive! In the scene at the end with the chase on the >crane and the Hawker jet, she performed exceptionally well. That chick >is a really good actress. Good movie too, btw. I am not generally a >fan of hokey action movies, but this one was different. It was kind of >comedy/action. Very entertaining. Yeah it was okay, good gad they cram it with commercials though on FX or whatever. dstephenatcoxdotnet ( using the @ and . for email )

[...]

2002-12-31 17:54:33+00:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com)

Right now it's showing on A&E, which I think has a little less commercials than say FX or USA. But cable showings are best taped then watched, because they do load them down with commercials. And yet we pay a premium fee to get these cable channels! Anyway, I caught a snippet of the movie last night (hadn't had the chance to watch it in full yet). The scene that happened to be on was "Faith" stealing money from her father, then running out the door and jumping on a motorcycle. Her father's colleague (Roseanne's ex husband) starts asking all sorts of pointed questions about the daughter. Given how "Faith" evolved it turned out the questions weren't so irrelevent as thought. Interesting when we see a star in an earlier role and they say a line that turns out phophetic to the current role. I remember "Willow" in stepmother/alien saying something like "this is weird stuff and I don't like weird stuff". And in a more recent divorce movie with Amber Benson and Dushku, we saw "Tara" pleading with "Faith" to calm down before doing something crazy. Sometimes on TV an actor will make a reference, as an inside joke, to a past role. For example, on Step by Step, Patrick Duffy as the father, made an obvious reference to the oil business, for which he played in Dallas. In Third Rock, John Lithgow as High Commander made a nasty reference to rock 'n roll, a referback to his role as the minister in Footloose. (Very weird watching him in Footloose after Third Rock--he starts off very mellow and a completely different character than the High Commander, but then when he gets fired up he is the high commander. You can't help but laught). > I was bored tonight, and I saw the movie "True Lies" on A&E. I had > seen this movie in the theater years ago. Anyway, I did not realize > that Eliza Dushku is in the movie, as the daughter of the spy and his > wife (A. Shwarzeneger and JL Curtis). Anyway, her performance was > downright impressive! In the scene at the end with the chase on the > crane and the Hawker jet, she performed exceptionally well. That chick > is a really good actress. Good movie too, btw. I am not generally a > fan of hokey action movies, but this one was different. It was kind of > comedy/action. Very entertaining. > > Stimpson

2002-12-31 18:30:57+00:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (napier <somebody@omewhere.com>)

2003-01-01 02:03:01-07:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 06:48:42 GMT, "William" <wivey@flash.net> wrote: >"Stimpson J. Cat" <house@next.tuesday> wrote in message >news:7ri21vk00fsrbtm7d3qoa25a7tn4ucg2bc@4ax.com... >> I was bored tonight, and I saw the movie "True Lies" on A&E. I had >> seen this movie in the theater years ago. Anyway, I did not realize >> that Eliza Dushku is in the movie, as the daughter of the spy and his >> wife (A. Shwarzeneger and JL Curtis). Anyway, her performance was >> downright impressive! In the scene at the end with the chase on the >> crane and the Hawker jet, she performed exceptionally well. That chick >> is a really good actress. Good movie too, btw. I am not generally a >> fan of hokey action movies, but this one was different. It was kind of >> comedy/action. Very entertaining. > >Anyone know if she'll be in "True Lies II" (not much info on it at IMDB, >supposed to be out in 2004 - 10 years after the original). -Wm She's made it very clear, to anyone who has asked, that she really wants to reprise her role as Dana Tasker. -- I think it's entirely possible that we might try to fool people hell bent on spoiling our season. We're deceptive people. We promote sex and violence and the occult. Frankly, we're just not good seeds. -- Drew Goddard (Bronze Beta 8/28/2002)

2003-01-01 06:48:42+00:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (William <wivey@flash.net>)

2003-01-02 08:37:31-08:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (Mike Jackson <mjackson@barking-dog.net.NOSPAM>)

2003-01-03 21:20:55+00:00 - Re: characters making references to earlier roles - was Re: Dushku in True Lies - (Peter Cowan <pccowan@btopenworld.com>)

"Dawn" <avs@qis.net> wrote in message news:3E15B060.9EB07E71@qis.net... > Jeff Nor Lisa wrote: > > > > John Lithgow and Leslie Nielsen are probably the two most successful actors > > > best known for drama roles who have transitioned to comedy so perfectly > > > that it's difficult to watch their earlier dramatic movies anymore. > > > > I caught Nielsen in some old cop drama, and it took me a few minutes > > to realize he was playing a serious role, not comedy. But after > > his "Police Squad" paradies, it was very hard to take it seriously. > > > > As I'm fairly young yet, I only ever knew Nielsen from the funny stuff: Airplane, > Naked Gun, etc. Then one day, I happened to catch an old Tammy movie [> > And of course his "classic" role - in Forbidden Planet Peter

2003-01-04 00:52:50-08:00 - Re: They Know It's a Show - Was Re: characters making references to earlier roles - was Re: Dushku in True Lies - (wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com)

"Otha Stubblefield" <othas3kspam@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<EAoR9.2016$Jb6.110849233@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>... > "Wally Rosenberg" <wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:a6dd0bff.0301030415.5244eb4d@posting.google.com... > > Philip Chien <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message > news:<Xns92F817565DE41nobodynowherecom@65.82.44.9>... > > > hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com (Jeff Nor Lisa) wrote in > > > news:tRkQ9.2251$XH5.702114@monger.newsread.com: > > > > > > > > > > > Sometimes on TV an actor will make a reference, as an inside > > > > joke, to a past role. For example, on Step by Step, Patrick > > > > Duffy as the father, made an obvious reference to the oil > > > > business, for which he played in Dallas. > > > > > > And on both "Step by Step" and "Dallas" he's made references to "The Man > > > From Atlantis", his first staring role in a TV series. > > > > > > > In Third Rock, > > > > John Lithgow as High Commander made a nasty reference to > > > > rock 'n roll, a referback to his role as the minister in > > > > Footloose. > > > > > > I laughed a *LONG* time at that comment! > > > > One similar thing that occasionally happens in Buffy and Angel is when > > the characters say something that suggests they're aware that it's a > > TV show. Sometimes they're subtle, other times, not so! > > > > Earliest I'm aware of on Buffy is at the end of 'School Hard' when > > Spike says "Let's see what's on TV" right before the credits roll. > > > > Are there any others? > > > > Quite a few on Angel (sorry for the lack of episode titles, I'm only > > just getting into it): > > > > * That guy who thinks his wife is being abducted by aliens but > > suspects she may also be seeing someone else - he says that Angel is > > eccentric, and Wesley gives some examples of great eccentric > > detectives. The guy protests, "But those are all fictional > > characters!" Well exactly... > > > > * When Darla is doing a great acting job, pretending to be attacked by > > Angel so the cops can hear her over the phone, Lindsay remarks that > > she should have her own show... > > > > * That thing I mentioned the other day in the bookshop, about Angel > > being sired when he was 30... > > > > * In a recent new Angel, he visits a comic book store and discovers > > that he is a popular comic book character... > > Ohhhh come on now!!! The most recent one that I saw was in OMWF when after > they find out that Dawn's been kidnapped, Buffy's reply is, > "Dawn's in trouble? It must be Tuesday" Ahh, I forgot about OMWF because the story is that they are in a show, and it has lots of references to being in a musical, which sort of fits the plot. But you're right, that "must be Tuesday" example is obviously TV-related. There's some ambigious ones, e.g. Anya's comments when she and Xander are babbling to Giles, right after I'll Never Tell has finished. She mentions how their appartment only seemed to have three walls but not a fourth wall, which would be true for a musical, but is also true for the TV studio set of their appartment! Doesn't have a ceiling either, most of the time. Ohh that reminds me! In 'Restless', in Xander's dream when he runs through several apparently different locations (his basement, Giles's living room, Sunnydale University, etc.) this actually reveals their true layout at the studios. They are all right next to each other. They just had to put some dressing on one of the little connecting pathways (they make it looks sort of militaristic and jungley to fit in with the 'Apocalypse Now' theme.) Other set trivia from the DVDs: Whedon notes that 'Hush' is one of the few situations where he had to put a ceiling on a set, in the college bedroom when the Gentlemen are taking the heart from the student. The staircase in the set of Buffy's house is on wheels so it can be moved out of the way, allowing them to put cameras there when they shoot action around the front door.

2003-01-05 04:20:31+00:00 - Allow me to introduce myself - Re: characters making references to earlier roles - was Re: Dushku in True Lies - (Philip Chien <nobody@nowhere.com>)

Dawn <avs@qis.net> wrote in news:3E15B060.9EB07E71@qis.net: > Dawn > who likes hotties of all shapes, sizes and colors...and apparently > eras, too! As my favorite villian used to say with a Pottsylvanian accent "Allowing me to introduce myself." Have we met? Have you seen my list of appearances by Dawn in the early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Do you know your blood type? Are you willing to exchange bodily fluids? Philip Chien (very much a hottie at 98.6 F or even 37.1 C)

2003-01-05 04:20:31+00:00 - Allow me to introduce myself - Re: characters making references to earlier roles - was Re: Dushku in True Lies - (Philip Chien <nobody@nowhere.com>)

Dawn <avs@qis.net> wrote in news:3E15B060.9EB07E71@qis.net: > Dawn > who likes hotties of all shapes, sizes and colors...and apparently > eras, too! As my favorite villian used to say with a Pottsylvanian accent "Allowing me to introduce myself." Have we met? Have you seen my list of appearances by Dawn in the early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Do you know your blood type? Are you willing to exchange bodily fluids? Philip Chien (very much a hottie at 98.6 F or even 37.1 C)

2003-01-10 23:36:57-05:00 - Re: Dushku in True Lies - (David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com>)

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 11:37:31 -0500, Mike Jackson wrote: >> What set it apart was the quality of the effects which were near >> seamless. Unlike the horrifically bad "action" scenes in recent movies >> like "Spiderman." > > That's because they really were on a real Harrier jet suspended by a > crane, not on a fake Harrier in front of a bluescreen. James Cameron > knows how to spend money! Yeah, the making of that movie is interesting, if you can find any info about it. Not only is the *flying* completely real (except for the whole 'It's being lifted by a crane instead of its engines'.), but the *landing* is completely 'real', nothing is CGI, the Harrier is really landing in that street, and Ahnold and ED are on a Harrier. It's just that the cockpit of one Harrier with Ahnold in it was spliced into the body of another. (I can't remember which one ED was hanging from, but I think it was the *real* Harrier. Of course, she would have been tied to whatever one she was on.) Completely seemless, and a great thing to spend money on. -- David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com> NOYFB, P