FLM films - My Webpage

2003-05-01 09:03:51-07:00 - Instant replay (was We few, we poultry few) - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Dan Solomon wrote: > > <jramire@attglobal.net> wrote in news:3eb09c83_2@news1.prserv.net: > > > Anyone else catch a whiff of KFC at the summit meeting when the > > Scoobies and SITs respectfully, politely declined Buffy's offer to > > engage in further fisticuffs with the First? If an assault cannot > > possibly succeed under any circumstances, it's a prudent, indeed > > necessary strategy to conserve resources (and people) by avoiding the > > fight. But that's not the same as counseling withdrawal out of worry > > that a battle would bring a significant risk of injury, especially to > > oneself. Though the Scoobies have proved their bravery in the past, > > I'm not so sure about the SITs. There was a distinct "hey, I could get > > hurt by this guy Caleb!" vibe in the room. > > I think they were more worried that Buffy was incapable of defeating > Caleb. They are still relying on her to protect them. When she defeated > the Ubervamp, she demonstrated that she was able to take whatever the > First was going to throw at them (at the time). Now here is an opponent > that is much stronger than Buffy, and has unknown abilities beyond that. > The Ubervamp could be defeated by brute force. I think they're just replaying the Ubervamp arc. They had to up the stakes a bit to make interesting. The same elements are there. Buffy has been defeated twice by an apparently unbeatable enemy. SITs have been killed on Buffy's watch. Everyone has lost confidence in Buffy. Now Buffy will probably have a spectacular win, and everyone will have confidence in her again. It's not unusual for ME to repeat themes, but it is unusual to do so in the same season, and be so transparent about it.