FLM films - My Webpage

2003-03-01 00:10:12-06:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net>)

In article <Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote: > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > Star Trek geeks are engineers/computer nerds and have a higher average income then the run of the mill Buffy fans?

2003-03-01 00:10:12-06:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net>)

In article <Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote: > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > Star Trek geeks are engineers/computer nerds and have a higher average income then the run of the mill Buffy fans?

2003-03-01 04:56:24+00:00 - BtvS DVDs - (Mike Craney <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net>)

I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? Mike

2003-03-01 04:56:24+00:00 - BtvS DVDs - (Mike Craney <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net>)

I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? Mike

2003-03-01 09:17:08+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (bobcancel@aol.com)

I guess that means Star Trek fans are smarter than us -- since most of them are engineers and stuff. We must be pretty stupid come to think of it. Since only smart people watch it. . . . Gosh. . . I'd be willing to bet that just sitting through 1 hour of Star Trek can raise one's IQ a good 10 or 15 points. Betcha I'd be able to affords lots more stuff too . . . . . cuz I'd be so much smarter and therefore I'd be making more money. Yeah. . so glad you cleared this issue up for the rest of us, Snuggles. Without you, there ain't no way we woulda figured it out. Yep, no way. Here I thought that the good folks at Paramount were a bunch of greedy bastards but you fixed my little red wagon. Yep, thanks, Snuggles. Ken Dallas << > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > Star Trek geeks are engineers/computer nerds and have a higher average income then the run of the mill Buffy fans? >>

2003-03-01 12:23:50+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (Chris Zabel <alephnull@earthlink.net>)

This is probably closer to the truth than most want to acknowledge here. Always keep your target market's disposable income in mind when setting a pricing structure for your product. "Snuggles" <postmaster@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:postmaster-F0A71D.00101201032003@husk.cso.niu.edu... > In article <Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote: > > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > > > Star Trek geeks are engineers/computer nerds and have a higher average > income then the run of the mill Buffy fans? >

2003-03-01 13:30:27+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs vs.Star Trek prices - (TNG1949 <meggleston2@stny.rr.com>)

Because Paramount is milking every nickel they can get out of the now-dying Star Trek franchise. They overpriced the ST:TNG VHS tapes and then they whored them out to Columbia House, who further overpriced the tapes. Now they're bringing out everything in DVD to get everyone to throw away the tapes they bought and buy them all over again in DVD. I'm glad I didn't buy them the first time. If all 7 seasons of ST:TNG on DVD were priced the same as BTVS, I would have replaced my taped from broadcast VHS tapes in a heartbeat. As a consumer who has gotten burned more than once by technology changes (think Betamax!), I'll wait until the ST:TNG DVD's drop in price, I flat out refuse to pay $100 per season. You would think they would have the brains to price the DVD's moderately to get bigger numbers of people interested in Star Trek again, but they're too interested in the massive profits from the fanboys dumb enough to buy them now. A minor rant here to illustrate my point: ST:TOS was a marvel of it's time, and looks dated now. ST:TNG was excellent and retains its excitement and charm, but it appears that once Gene Roddenberry was gone, the remaining franchises became progressively worse. DS9 sucked, Voyager had some good moments, but mostly sucked, and Enterprise is so "touchy-feely politically correct" that I will use Spike's words to describe it, "It's enough to make me heave." "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com... > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > Mike > >

2003-03-01 13:46:52+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs vs.Star Trek prices - (Mike Craney <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net>)

"TNG1949" <meggleston2@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:TB28a.50178$%r1.12031@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > Because Paramount is milking every nickel they can get out of the now-dying > Star Trek franchise. They overpriced the ST:TNG VHS tapes and then they > whored them out to Columbia House, who further overpriced the tapes. Now > they're bringing out everything in DVD to get everyone to throw away the > tapes they bought and buy them all over again in DVD. I'm glad I didn't buy > them the first time. If all 7 seasons of ST:TNG on DVD were priced the same > as BTVS, I would have replaced my taped from broadcast VHS tapes in a > heartbeat. As a consumer who has gotten burned more than once by technology > changes (think Betamax!), I'll wait until the ST:TNG DVD's drop in price, I > flat out refuse to pay $100 per season. You would think they would have the > brains to price the DVD's moderately to get bigger numbers of people > interested in Star Trek again, but they're too interested in the massive > profits from the fanboys dumb enough to buy them now. That theory doesn't, however, explain the Babylon-5 prices being the same as the ST prices. > > A minor rant here to illustrate my point: > ST:TOS was a marvel of it's time, and looks dated now. ST:TNG was excellent > and retains its excitement and charm, but it appears that once Gene > Roddenberry was gone, the remaining franchises became progressively worse. > DS9 sucked, Voyager had some good moments, but mostly sucked, and Enterprise > is so "touchy-feely politically correct" that I will use Spike's words to > describe it, "It's enough to make me heave." Well, it's in the eye of the beholder. TNG barely kept my interest, and I thought DS9 was some of the best television ever. We agree on Voyager and Enterprise, although I managed to hang in with the former until the bitter end, and I think if they ever turn the movie franchise over to the Voyager group they could put together a decent space shootemup. However, I am so excited about Enterprise that I've got a half dozen episodes taped, but I can't seem to get enough enthusiasm mustered to stick the tape into the VCR. If Bakula was my captain I'd hang myself in my quarters out of sheer boredom. Mike

[...]

2003-03-01 14:13:55+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com>)

"Mike Craney" wrote: > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why > the Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and > Babylon-5 season sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? Probably because they want lots of teens to buy Buffy. Interestingly, those of us in the UK are offered sets at pretty much the same price as every other show, about ���79 RRP with a street price of about ���60-���65. Dave.

2003-03-01 17:44:51+01:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs vs.Star Trek prices - (slauerrr <slauerrr@hotmail.com>)

"TNG1949" <meggleston2@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:TB28a.50178$%r1.12031@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > A minor rant here to illustrate my point: > ST:TOS was a marvel of it's time, and looks dated now. ST:TNG was excellent > and retains its excitement and charm, but it appears that once Gene > Roddenberry was gone, the remaining franchises became progressively worse. > DS9 sucked, Voyager had some good moments, but mostly sucked, and Enterprise > is so "touchy-feely politically correct" that I will use Spike's words to > describe it, "It's enough to make me heave." No, no, no. DS9 was a good show. Even BtVS has borrowed some great plots from that series. I didn't much care for the other ST franchises.

2003-03-01 17:44:51+01:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs vs.Star Trek prices - (slauerrr <slauerrr@hotmail.com>)

"TNG1949" <meggleston2@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:TB28a.50178$%r1.12031@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > A minor rant here to illustrate my point: > ST:TOS was a marvel of it's time, and looks dated now. ST:TNG was excellent > and retains its excitement and charm, but it appears that once Gene > Roddenberry was gone, the remaining franchises became progressively worse. > DS9 sucked, Voyager had some good moments, but mostly sucked, and Enterprise > is so "touchy-feely politically correct" that I will use Spike's words to > describe it, "It's enough to make me heave." No, no, no. DS9 was a good show. Even BtVS has borrowed some great plots from that series. I didn't much care for the other ST franchises.

2003-03-02 18:27:08+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (elurio@aol.com)

The reason is that Warners' is greedier than Fox. But not by much., eric l.

2003-03-03 07:50:47-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

"Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay those prices. It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? It's inconceivable! Smaug69

2003-03-03 09:48:11-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (bpd123@att.net)

smaug86@yahoo.com (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > those prices. > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > It's inconceivable! > > Smaug69 I don't know where you shop, but I've never paid more than $39 for a Buffy DVD set. As for the X-Files, I only know that the 1st season contains several hours of extras including more commentary and every episode trailer as well. BPD123

2003-03-03 13:55:22-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid> wrote in message news:<MPG.18cd36701a58a733989d9f@netnews.attbi.com>... > Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, smaug86@yahoo.com wrote in article > <5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > > those prices. > > > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > > > It's inconceivable! > > > > Smaug69 > > > > As I recall, the first five seasons of The X-Files DVDs have a lot more > content (in addition to the episodes, of course) than either the Buffy > or Angel sets. There were at least as many commentaries per set, but > there were also CD-ROM games, selected multi-language scenes (i.e., take > a scene from an episode as it was broadcast in Germany, Japan, Spain, > and France), out-takes that could be seen in context of the episode > (e.g., look for the little white "X" in the corner as the episode runs > and press a button to segue into a special scene and then back into the > episode when it is complete), and stuff like that there. > > The question is whether or not this added value is worth the additional > price for the set. I think it is, but I have to plan the purchase of > The X-Files DVDs around birthdays and Christmas when I can use gift > certificates to subsidize my purchase. The price barrier is not as high > with Buffy, Angel, or 24. There is nothing extra on any of those X-Files sets that warrants paying up to $90 more for. I should know, I have the first 4 seasons of TXF and the first 3 seasons of BtVS. Smaug69

2003-03-03 13:59:00-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

bpd123@att.net (Brian Dingee) wrote in message news:<6152192c.0303030948.58de4c42@posting.google.com>... > smaug86@yahoo.com (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > > those prices. > > > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > > > It's inconceivable! > > > > Smaug69 > > > I don't know where you shop, but I've never paid more than $39 for a > Buffy DVD set. I am not talking about actual price. I am talking about the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price(MSRP). The actual prices we pay at places like Best Buy and Wal-mart are determined by the MSRP, among other things. > As for the X-Files, I only know that the 1st season > contains several hours of extras including more commentary and every > episode trailer as well. There's not $90 worth of extra stuff on any of those X-Files DVD box sets. Smaug69

2003-03-03 17:53:29+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, smaug86@yahoo.com wrote in article <5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > those prices. > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > It's inconceivable! > > Smaug69 > As I recall, the first five seasons of The X-Files DVDs have a lot more content (in addition to the episodes, of course) than either the Buffy or Angel sets. There were at least as many commentaries per set, but there were also CD-ROM games, selected multi-language scenes (i.e., take a scene from an episode as it was broadcast in Germany, Japan, Spain, and France), out-takes that could be seen in context of the episode (e.g., look for the little white "X" in the corner as the episode runs and press a button to segue into a special scene and then back into the episode when it is complete), and stuff like that there. The question is whether or not this added value is worth the additional price for the set. I think it is, but I have to plan the purchase of The X-Files DVDs around birthdays and Christmas when I can use gift certificates to subsidize my purchase. The price barrier is not as high with Buffy, Angel, or 24. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger

2003-03-04 06:59:22+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, smaug86@yahoo.com wrote in article <5fe774aa.0303031355.57f20c90@posting.google.com>... > Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid> wrote in message news:<MPG.18cd36701a58a733989d9f@netnews.attbi.com>... > > Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, smaug86@yahoo.com wrote in article > > <5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > > > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > > > > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > > > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > > > > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > > > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > > > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > > > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > > > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > > > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > > > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > > > those prices. > > > > > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > > > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > > > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > > > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > > > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > > > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > > > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > > > > > It's inconceivable! > > > > > > Smaug69 > > > > > > > As I recall, the first five seasons of The X-Files DVDs have a lot more > > content (in addition to the episodes, of course) than either the Buffy > > or Angel sets. There were at least as many commentaries per set, but > > there were also CD-ROM games, selected multi-language scenes (i.e., take > > a scene from an episode as it was broadcast in Germany, Japan, Spain, > > and France), out-takes that could be seen in context of the episode > > (e.g., look for the little white "X" in the corner as the episode runs > > and press a button to segue into a special scene and then back into the > > episode when it is complete), and stuff like that there. > > > > The question is whether or not this added value is worth the additional > > price for the set. I think it is, but I have to plan the purchase of > > The X-Files DVDs around birthdays and Christmas when I can use gift > > certificates to subsidize my purchase. The price barrier is not as high > > with Buffy, Angel, or 24. > > > There is nothing extra on any of those X-Files sets that warrants > paying up to $90 more for. I should know, I have the first 4 seasons > of TXF and the first 3 seasons of BtVS. > > Smaug69 > One man's meat, Smaug... Whether you value the added content or not, there is more content in The X-Files DVDs and the powers that be valued that at a premium. If you ask me, I think the studios are still trying to figure out how to package these products. The price for Buffy, Angel, and 24 (and whatever else is out there) is attractive by my reckoning. I would rather pay less and accept less content with future editions of The X-Files. But I am such a big fan of the show that I cannot imagine NOT owning them all. So it is my guilty pleasure to admit that I will continue to collect them over time. But it will take me a while to finish that particular collection whilst staying current with the release of Buffy, Angel, & 24 should not be an onerous experience for my pocketbook. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger

2003-03-04 07:47:12-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid> wrote in message news:<MPG.18cdeea41b2df571989da5@netnews.attbi.com>... <snip> > > There is nothing extra on any of those X-Files sets that warrants > > paying up to $90 more for. I should know, I have the first 4 seasons > > of TXF and the first 3 seasons of BtVS. > > > > Smaug69 > > > > One man's meat, Smaug... Mmmmm....meat... > Whether you value the added content or not, there is more content in The > X-Files DVDs and the powers that be valued that at a premium. A $150 premium? That harkens back to the Laserdisc days. For that kind of money, I would expect commentaries on every episode and documentaries and featurettes out the yin-yang. Let's break this down. I'll list the special features of the second season DVD box sets for both The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. TXF: 1) 4 deleted scenes accessible using multi-angle feature (from the episodes Sleepless, 3, Humbug and Anasazi) 2) 3 "behind-the-scenes" clips (from the episodes End Game, Humbug and Anasazi) 3) 20 "international" clips from the episodes Duane Barry, One Breath, Irresistible, Humbug and Anasazi (in dubbed Japanese, German, Spanish and Italian) 4) 49 TV spots (10 and 20 second spots for 24 episodes and a 20 second spot for the 25th) 5) 9 Behind the Truth segments (as seen on FX) 6) 12 interview clips with Chris Carter about the episodes 7) The Truth About Season Two featurette 8) Collectible booklet 9) PC Friendly DVD-ROM features (including an interactive game - Unholy Alliances, weblinks and access to online events) 10) Animated program-themed menu screens with music, scene access (12 chapters per episode) 11) Languages: English and French (DD 2.0), subtitles: English and Spanish, Closed Captioned BtVS: 1) Audio commentary by David Greenwalt on Reptile Boy, audio commentary by Marti Noxon on What's My Line? Parts 1 & 2, audio commentary by Joss Whedon on Innocence 2) Video interviews with Joss Whedon on Surprise, Innocence, Passion, I Only Have Eyes for You and Becoming, Parts 1 & 2 3) Episode scripts for Reptile Boy, What's My Line? Parts 1 & 2 and Innocence 4) 3 featurettes (Designing Buffy, A Buffy Bestiary and Beauty and Beasts) 5) 6 US TV spots, 2 UK TV spots, Season Two DVD set trailer, UK Angel: Season One and Buffy: Season Two video release trailers 6) Cast bios 7) Still galleries 8) Animated program-themed menu screens with sound, scene access (15 chapters per episode) 9) Languages: English and French (DD 2.0), subtitles: English and Spanish, Closed Captioned 10) Collectible booklet Do you see anything in The X-Files list above that warrants paying $90 more(MSRP)? They didn't even bother to do any commentaries. As for the upcoming sets, here's a peek: The X-Files: The Complete Seventh Season will feature all 7th season episodes on 6 discs, in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround audio (SRP $149.98). Extras will include several deleted scenes, audio commentary (for the episodes First Person Shooter, All Things and Je Souhaite), The Truth About Season Seven featurette (30 mins), international clips, TV spots, 13 special effects featurettes with audio commentary, 2 X-Files Profiles featurettes (on A.D. Skinner and Samantha Mulder) and a PlayStation game preview. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Fourth Season for 6/10 (SRP $59.98). The 6-disc set will include all the episodes plus audio commentary for 7 episodes, the scripts for 3 episodes, featurettes and more. I have always considered the audio commentaries by members of the cast and crew to be premium special feature items(bigger than anything else) so in that area, BtVS has always done better than The X-Files. If The X-Files sets were $99.99 MSRP I wouldn't have as much to bitch about because they would retail at about $75 in alot of places and Sam's Club and BJ's Warehouse might have them for ~$65. As it is, the cheapest I can get TXF sets now are about $95(Maybe $5-7 cheaper if I ordered them from Canadian websites). Compare that to the ~$40 I paid for the second and third seasons of BTVS and one has to wonder what Fox is thinking. > If you > ask me, I think the studios are still trying to figure out how to > package these products. The price for Buffy, Angel, and 24 (and > whatever else is out there) is attractive by my reckoning. > > I would rather pay less and accept less content with future editions of > The X-Files. But I am such a big fan of the show that I cannot imagine > NOT owning them all. So it is my guilty pleasure to admit that I will > continue to collect them over time. But it will take me a while to > finish that particular collection whilst staying current with the > release of Buffy, Angel, & 24 should not be an onerous experience for my > pocketbook. You think you got it bad, I'm trying to keep up with TXF, BtVS, ST:Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and The Simpsons. Plus, I am diving into classic Twilight Zone since they repackaged the episodes into (much cheaper)collections. Smaug69

2003-03-04 10:43:43-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (blucas1@mindspring.com)

smaug86@yahoo.com (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > those prices. > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > It's inconceivable! > > Smaug69 You keep using tha word...I do na think it means what you think it means... It all about demand. There are about a billion rabid X-ers out there waiting to buy the X-files discs, but only 4-5 mill buffy fans, max.

2003-03-05 08:08:24-08:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

blucas1@mindspring.com (Enkil) wrote in message news:<58e03e6b.0303041043.69b2775a@posting.google.com>... > smaug86@yahoo.com (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<5fe774aa.0303030750.56345e2d@posting.google.com>... > > "Mike Craney" <mcraney@sbcglobalnospam.net> wrote in message news:<Y3X7a.2989$9W4.479899758@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>... > > > I was just perusing Amazon for various things on DVD. Anybody know why the > > > Buffy season sets are half the price of the Star Trek and Babylon-5 season > > > sets? An intentiional marketing philosophy? > > > > Well, I know why Star Trek's sets are so much higher: Paramount. They > > give the lowest value for your money of any of the major studios. > > > > Fox seems to have figured out the best price range for their TV > > series, aside from The X-Files. The X-Files was the first one- of any > > significance- I remember them releasing and those sets were $149.98 > > MSRP. In fact, they still are- which doesn't make any sense > > considering all their other releases like BtVS, The Simpsons, and > > Angel are very reasonable. Maybe they just felt that since the X-Files > > was such a popular hit(in the ratings) for so long people would pay > > those prices. > > > > It certainly doesn't make any sense to release the seventh season of > > The X-Files at $149.98(For release May 13, 2003) and the fourth season > > of BtVS at $59.98(For release June 10, 2003). They are both one-hour > > shows and those respective seasons both had 22 episodes. So what the > > hell does that X-Files box set have that warrants paying $90 more for? > > Nude photos of Gillian Anderson and David Duchcovny? An actual > > human/alien hybrid? A pack of CSM's brand of cigarettes? > > > > It's inconceivable! > > > > Smaug69 > > You keep using tha word...I do na think it means what you think it > means... It's from The Princess Bride. Wallace Shawn anyone? > It all about demand. There are about a billion rabid X-ers out there > waiting to buy the X-files discs, but only 4-5 mill buffy fans, max. The X-Files was not that popular. It didn't reach the heights of Friends, Frasier, ER or Home Improvement. It certainly isn't $90 more per set popular than BtVS. As for BTVS having only 4-5 million fan...piffle. You forget that it's one of the most popular shows OUTSIDE the US. Smaug69

2003-03-10 02:31:32+00:00 - Re: BtvS DVDs - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On 4 Mar 2003 10:43:43 -0800, blucas1@mindspring.com (Enkil) wrote: >It all about demand. There are about a billion rabid X-ers out there >waiting to buy the X-files discs, but only 4-5 mill buffy fans, max. Yes, but demand should be working the *other* way here. If more people are going to buy the X-files they can lower the price and still make a profit. At a lower price they can convince casual fans, not just diehards, to buy the dvds and X-files has many more casual fans than Buffy does. I suspect it has more to do with audience. Buffy was on the WB and UPN which tends to attract younger audiences (with less money) than Fox.