FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-02 17:09:20-08:00 - Their Majors in College - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Barney wrote: > > In article <Xns92E9D83A3EFCAnobodynowherecom@65.82.44.10>, Philip Chien > <nobody@nowhere.com> writes: > > >schlitzdrinker@aol.comeasuare (Barney) wrote in > >news:20021201175952.06894.00000720@mb-ml.aol.com: > > > >> > >> Dumb question: what were their majors? > > > >Never stated in the series. But I have fanwanked a speculation based on > >how we've seen magic work in the Whedonverse. > > > > >Based on Buffy's choices for courses - intro to psyc, watching television > >(didnt get in), history, and world history I'd suspect she was going after > >some kind of liberal arts major. > > > > My fanwank was Sociology. > > >We only saw Tara a few times in class, so it's hard to say what she would > >have been studying. It's interesting to note that she's at an out-of-state > >school (she was from Alabama) which would indicate that UCSD had some > >special courses or majors of interest to her. Since UCSD is close to a > >Hellmouth it might be logical to assume that the Applied Chemistry > >department includes a variety of magic courses as a sub-discipline. > > > > LOL. Why not? Tara struck me more as a History major for some reason. Or > perhaps Women's Studies? > > >Philip Chien > >(who never considered a liberal arts study program -even after going to a > >*gag* prep school.) > > A preppie, eh? You must know a lot of chicks named Buffy. > > Your pal, > Barney Since both Buffy and Tara were sophomores when they dropped out, so to speak, they were probably just trying to complete their lower division requirements. Majors aren't declared until their Junior year.

2003-01-03 21:38:19-08:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

MegaSilver wrote: > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > news:3E15AFC4.59DCAB2@rcn.com... > > JoAnn Peeler wrote: > > > "Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message > > > news:3E14E2C0.AE8239E2@rcn.com... > > > >Majors aren't declared until their Junior year. > > > > > > > Of course that's not true. Many colleges require you to declare your > major > > > from day 1. At least the University of Tennessee used to. > > > > > But since UC Sunnydale is part of the University of California system, > > that's the standard we have to use. > > Yes, but that's not true for *EVERY* major--though by some freak of bad > luck, it is for the one I want. :( It was true for every major when was there, and even if you could declare your major earlier, there are still lower division general education requirements you must fulfill.

2003-01-04 04:24:31+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"Philip Chien" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:Xns92F877749FDEnobodynowherecom@65.82.44.10... > Majors don't have to be declared until the Junior year. But many folks go > into college with their entire four years planned because it's what they > want to do. For the most part, you're correct. But at UC schools, however, certain majors CANNOT be declared until the junior year--one of them being Film and Television majors, which I'm going into. When I applied at UCLA this fall, they told me I would have to either write myself as undeclared or major in something else for two years, and then I'd do hardcore Film and Television Production classes for the next two years. That seems like a pain in the butt when I'm really sure that I want to do Cin���ma-TV Production, so I'm likely going to attend Chapman, LMU, or USC instead (assuming I get accepted at those places, which I'm not *overly* worried about at this point).

2003-01-04 04:25:58+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

2003-01-05 02:15:34+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (D�sir�e Davis <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com>)

In article <3E152CB4.B903CC54@rcn.com>, Carmikl@rcn.com says... > Philip Chien wrote: > > > > Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in news:3E14E2C0.AE8239E2@rcn.com: > > > > > > > > they were probably just trying to complete their lower division > > > requirements. Majors aren't declared until their Junior year. > > > > Majors don't have to be declared until the Junior year. But many folks go > > into college with their entire four years planned because it's what they > > want to do. They may change their minds at some point but they've already > > decided on their majors. > > But they still have to complete their lower division general education > requirements and they only have room for a couple of electives. Most of > the classes that count toward any major require junior standing before > they can be taken. I went into San Diego State as a Freshman (with 22 units from AP courses and taking college level courses for college credit in HS) and had a declared major of Film. In my first 4 semesters I took 8 course from within my major. There is no requirement that any amount of GE courses be finished in the first 2 years. The only restrictions come from the prereq requirements. 400 level courses require junior standing, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Willow achieved that in 3 semesters as I did, and I'm hardly the genius she is. D���sir���e - a member of Steven Spielberg's alma mater, for all the good it's done me

2003-01-05 05:04:19+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message news:3E16734B.5D8DA1C1@rcn.com... > MegaSilver wrote: > > Yes, but that's not true for *EVERY* major--though by some freak of bad > > luck, it is for the one I want. :( > > It was true for every major when was there Which one did you attend? > and even if you could > declare your major earlier, there are still lower division general > education requirements you must fulfill. Well, that's true for most every college. IB, AP, and SAT II tests do help considerably, though.

2003-01-05 05:05:53+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"D���sir���e Davis" <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1881351b9a8f4f49898b3@news.verizon.net... > I went into San Diego State as a Freshman (with 22 units from AP courses > and taking college level courses for college credit in HS) and had a > declared major of Film. Which branch? Critical studies, digital arts, production, or screenwriting?

2003-01-05 05:06:50+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"D���sir���e Davis" <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1881351b9a8f4f49898b3@news.verizon.net... > I went into San Diego State as a Freshman (with 22 units from AP courses > and taking college level courses for college credit in HS) ... And I thought my 13 hours going in were good...

2003-01-05 16:40:42-08:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

"D�sir�e Davis" wrote: > > In article <3E152CB4.B903CC54@rcn.com>, Carmikl@rcn.com says... > > Philip Chien wrote: > > > > > > Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in news:3E14E2C0.AE8239E2@rcn.com: > > > > > > > > > > > > they were probably just trying to complete their lower division > > > > requirements. Majors aren't declared until their Junior year. > > > > > > Majors don't have to be declared until the Junior year. But many folks go > > > into college with their entire four years planned because it's what they > > > want to do. They may change their minds at some point but they've already > > > decided on their majors. > > > > But they still have to complete their lower division general education > > requirements and they only have room for a couple of electives. Most of > > the classes that count toward any major require junior standing before > > they can be taken. > > I went into San Diego State as a Freshman (with 22 units from AP courses > and taking college level courses for college credit in HS) and had a > declared major of Film. In my first 4 semesters I took 8 course from > within my major. There is no requirement that any amount of GE courses > be finished in the first 2 years. The only restrictions come from the > prereq requirements. 400 level courses require junior standing, but it > also wouldn't surprise me if Willow achieved that in 3 semesters as I > did, and I'm hardly the genius she is. > > D�sir�e - a member of Steven Spielberg's alma mater, for all the good > it's done me I don't think Spielberg graduated. Maybe that was your mistake.

2003-01-05 19:11:35+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (D�sir�e Davis <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com>)

In article <R2PR9.28383$p_6.2351992@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, megasilver@worldnet.att.net says... > "D���sir���e Davis" <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:MPG.1881351b9a8f4f49898b3@news.verizon.net... > > I went into San Diego State as a Freshman (with 22 units from AP courses > > and taking college level courses for college credit in HS) and had a > > declared major of Film. > > Which branch? Critical studies, digital arts, production, or > screenwriting? Back in 1987 when I got in, it was just the TCF (Telecommunication & Film) department. My emphesis was in film production but that wasn't anything declared, just the track I was following. (choices were film production or television/video production) The dept. was impacted at the time and few people got in as Freshman. the year after I finished, TCF merged with Journalism. I'm not sure what they are now. D���sir���e - no producer has ever asked for my diploma when hiring me as an AD

2003-01-05 21:46:14+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"D���sir���e Davis" <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1882233370343c5d9898b5@news.verizon.net... > D���sir���e - no producer has ever asked for my diploma when hiring me as an > AD Then I gotta wonder what I'm going to cinema-television school for six years for...

2003-01-05 21:46:14+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"D���sir���e Davis" <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1882233370343c5d9898b5@news.verizon.net... > D���sir���e - no producer has ever asked for my diploma when hiring me as an > AD Then I gotta wonder what I'm going to cinema-television school for six years for...

2003-01-06 12:30:42-08:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com>)

Carmikl wrote: >> >>D�sir�e - a member of Steven Spielberg's alma mater, for all the good >>it's done me > > > I don't think Spielberg graduated. Maybe that was your mistake. Funny, I sat here in my office looking out the window on the graduation ceremonies last year and watched him accept his diploma. Maybe it was just a scene from a movie e's making. Altho I mispoke, I work for his Alma mater, i didn't graduate from here. D�sir�e - when i'm right, I'm right...

2003-01-06 12:38:28-08:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com>)

MegaSilver wrote: > "D�sir�e Davis" <hbeachbabe@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:MPG.1882233370343c5d9898b5@news.verizon.net... > >>D�sir�e - no producer has ever asked for my diploma when hiring me as an >>AD > > > Then I gotta wonder what I'm going to cinema-television school for six > years for... > > I went for 7. I left 3 units shy of graduating. What was far more valuable to me was the experience. I wrote & directed 3 short fims, and gained experience crewing other peoples films. I can walk onto a set now, usually as an AD, and fill in as a script super, boom operator, audio recordist, line producer, 2nd electric, grip or 2nd AC and know what I'm doing. D�sir�e - Jane of all trades (just don't let me touch the actual camera)

2003-01-07 01:13:34+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (John Campbell Rees <jwcr@gardd-lelog.org.uk>)

During the course of this discussion, Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com>, in message <3E19E772.6060701@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote: > Carmikl wrote: > > >> > >>D�sir�e - a member of Steven Spielberg's alma mater, for all the good > >>it's done me > > > > > > I don't think Spielberg graduated. Maybe that was your mistake. > > Funny, I sat here in my office looking out the window on the > graduation ceremonies last year and watched him accept his diploma. > Maybe it was just a scene from a movie e's making. In the interview in Issue 100 of SFX, where he explains why he went back to get his degree. Apparently, he didn't want his children saying "Dad didn't go to college, why should we". He had two years worth of academic credits from the 1960's (having dropped out in 1969) and then did sufficient additional work to graduate with a BA in Film Making and Electronic Arts. -- "Like shooting flies with a laser cannon, the aims a bit tricky, but it certainly deals with the flies." - Lord Miles Vorkosigan.

2003-01-08 00:39:21+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:09:20 -0800, Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote: >Since both Buffy and Tara were sophomores when they dropped out, so to >speak, they were probably just trying to complete their lower division >requirements. Majors aren't declared until their Junior year. Tara was in college in S4, S5, and S6 without any evidence of missing a term (depending on how long she was sick in S5) so was presumably a Junior. Buffy may have escaped declaring a major but both Tara and Willow would have to have declared at some point.

2003-01-08 00:39:22+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 05:38:16 GMT, Philip Chien <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote: >Majors don't have to be declared until the Junior year. But many folks go Not so, it varies by school. At Harvard, we had to declare by the end of Freshman year. >into college with their entire four years planned because it's what they >want to do. They may change their minds at some point but they've already >decided on their majors. In the cases of Buffy and Tara there's no >indication one way or another that they had any specific major thought out, >but certainly in Willow's case she had plotted out her planned career. >(probably by first grade). I'm sure the career Willow planned in first grade did not involve staying in Sunnydale. That wasn't until she met Buffy and decided to slay with her friends. >When she agreed to go to UC Sunnydale it was >because they would let her design her own courses. Close, design her own major. >Philip Chien >(still wondering whether or not UC Sunnydale has a graduate studies program >in magic, or just an undergraduate program.) I'd think to keep a student like Willow, they'd let her design her own graduate program too.

2003-01-08 00:39:23+00:00 - Re: Their Majors in College - (samjames1NOSPAM@yahoo.com)

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 22:24:52 -0800, Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote: >She probably wouldn't be able to design her own major until she reached >her junior year. She would probably be required to complete the same >general education requirements as Buffy, though she might satisfy those >requirements with more difficult classes. Willow is a genius, but there >are many geniuses in the UC System, and they all still have to complete >their general education requirements. Doesn't the UC system take Advanced Placement credit? Willow could have amassed a year's worth easily.