FLM films - My Webpage

2003-03-12 14:07:05-08:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Babe0610 wrote: > > SPOILERS > > I heard that round ep 21, much like Season 5 at the end, where Buffy and the > Gang were trying to figure out how to defeat Glory, and Anya mentioned the > Troll Hammer which could actually hurt Glory, comes once again, a new trick > from Joss's bag of fun. Buffy will be using this time around, a Scythe. For > those not familiar with a scythe, a scythe is what the Grim Reaper or Death > would carry. Its a long staff, with an enomous arched blade at the end. In ep > 21 it is given to her by a middle aged women who is suppose to be a Joan Allen > type. She says it was forged by women for the slayer. > > I think that this is going to so badass. I dont think its a rumor on the basis > that the slayer has mostly used weapons of old origin and mostly medival, with > the exception of the rocket launcher, but on the fact that it was forged by > women, which Caleb hates, and it has tremendous reach on it. Buffy could easily > mow down a shit load of uber's with this thing in no time and keep a good > distance. I dont think to mind any other weapon that could be used to fight the > ubers, Caleb, and the First, except this one. While Buffy killed a Uber, she > took a pummeling in the process, and will as well from Caleb, because she > fought them in close range. Using the scythe she has the advantage, again based > on reach, especially if she's gotta taken down a whole lot of ubers and doing > it at close distance wont work. Also its fitting justice for a weapon built by > women to take down a women hater, and also death is Buffy's art and gift, and > what better way than to do it with a scythe. I cant wait for this. Though > Xander doing it to Caleb, would be quite cool. Sounds like a very clumsy weapon to me but we have yet to see the design. A conventional scythe isn't a weapon you could easily reach out with. It was used as a weapon in one of Jean Rollin's horror films, in the 1980's, "Fascination". Brigitte Lahaie was the scythe wielder. It was a stunning image, but the victim basically has to be standing still in front of the scythe wielder. The curve with the cutting edge on the inside makes it very difficult to use as a weapon, unless you're planning to cut them off at the legs. Also difficult to sharpen. I nearly cut off a finger sharpening one when I was a kid because I lapped my finger just a little too far over the sharpening stone.

[...]

2003-03-12 17:11:59-08:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Klyfix wrote: > > Silly Klyfix looked at the title and thought, "Oh, the MOAB"? :) > Good choice but the delivery might be a bit difficult.

2003-03-12 20:27:22+00:00 - Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (babe0610@aol.com)

2003-03-13 00:19:42+00:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (klyfix@aol.comedy)

Silly Klyfix looked at the title and thought, "Oh, the MOAB"? :) V. S. Greene : klyfix@aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... Eckzylon: http://m1.aol.com/klyfix/eckzylon.html A rodent with mad skillz, uh, no.

2003-03-13 00:19:42+00:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (klyfix@aol.comedy)

Silly Klyfix looked at the title and thought, "Oh, the MOAB"? :) V. S. Greene : klyfix@aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... Eckzylon: http://m1.aol.com/klyfix/eckzylon.html A rodent with mad skillz, uh, no.

2003-03-14 04:15:19+00:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (kage1065@aol.com)

Assuming the scythe is the weapon given Buffy, it may not be as awkward to wield as you think. As a martial arts practitioner of an Okinawan style of karate, their weapons are all converted farm implements and such. Nunchaku were flails, Tonfa were used for grinding grain, the oar was used for boats, etc. Since the show uses asian fighting styles, perhaps one of the cultures may have a scythe as a weapon.

2003-03-14 04:15:19+00:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (kage1065@aol.com)

Assuming the scythe is the weapon given Buffy, it may not be as awkward to wield as you think. As a martial arts practitioner of an Okinawan style of karate, their weapons are all converted farm implements and such. Nunchaku were flails, Tonfa were used for grinding grain, the oar was used for boats, etc. Since the show uses asian fighting styles, perhaps one of the cultures may have a scythe as a weapon.

2003-03-14 07:12:06-08:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Kage1065 wrote: > Carmikl wrote: > > Sounds like a very clumsy weapon to me but we have yet to see the > > design. A conventional scythe isn't a weapon you could easily reach out > > with. It was used as a weapon in one of Jean Rollin's horror films, in > > the 1980's, "Fascination". Brigitte Lahaie was the scythe wielder. It > > was a stunning image, but the victim basically has to be standing still > > in front of the scythe wielder. The curve with the cutting edge on the > > inside makes it very difficult to use as a weapon, unless you're > > planning to cut them off at the legs. > > > > Also difficult to sharpen. I nearly cut off a finger sharpening one when > > I was a kid because I lapped my finger just a little too far over the > > sharpening stone. > Assuming the scythe is the weapon given Buffy, it may not be as awkward to > wield as you think. As a martial arts practitioner of an Okinawan style of > karate, their weapons are all converted farm implements and such. Nunchaku were > flails, Tonfa were used for grinding grain, the oar was used for boats, etc. > Since the show uses asian fighting styles, perhaps one of the cultures may have > a scythe as a weapon. That's true of most western weapons too. In order for a agricultural scythe to be an effective weapon it would have to be significantly modified. How much modification could it go through before it's no longer a scythe? There is a weapon that was called a scythe, but it show little resemblance to an agricultural scythe. Weapon scythe: http://www.kipar.org/kirkes_uniforms_weapons.html Agricultural scythe: http://www.scythesource.com/anatomy.htm

2003-03-14 08:12:39-08:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (himiko@animail.net)

kage1065@aol.com (Kage1065) wrote in message news:<20030313231519.04552.00000074@mb-fk.aol.com>... > Assuming the scythe is the weapon given Buffy, it may not be as awkward to > wield as you think. As a martial arts practitioner of an Okinawan style of > karate, their weapons are all converted farm implements and such. Nunchaku were > flails, Tonfa were used for grinding grain, the oar was used for boats, etc. > Since the show uses asian fighting styles, perhaps one of the cultures may have > a scythe as a weapon. It may be more like the weapon Fray uses in the comic. I suppose it could be called a scythe although it looks more like a battle axe with a long handle to me. himiko

2003-03-21 05:48:41+00:00 - Re: Spoiler: Buffy's NEW WEAPON of choice against FE - (rgorman@telusplanet.net)

On 14 Mar 2003 04:15:19 GMT, kage1065@aol.com (Kage1065) wrote: >Assuming the scythe is the weapon given Buffy, it may not be as awkward to >wield as you think. As a martial arts practitioner of an Okinawan style of >karate, their weapons are all converted farm implements and such. Nunchaku were >flails, Tonfa were used for grinding grain, the oar was used for boats, etc. >Since the show uses asian fighting styles, perhaps one of the cultures may have >a scythe as a weapon. Scythes are a good deal bulkier and clumsier than those weapons. Not that it matters much. The scythe isn't going to be routine ordinance, any more than the troll hammer was.