FLM films - My Webpage

2003-05-21 07:29:30-07:00 - The Salon Interview - analysis - (cordelia525@hotmail.com)

In the salon interview, JW stated: <<You live with these people and interact with them for the past seven years and that starts to creep in. The whole "I'm a stalwart hero who does the job" sort of came from Sarah [Michelle Gellar] a bit. It also came from "I've come back from the dead!" This is no small thing, no coming out of the shower. You don't buy that back cheaply. Whereas last year Buffy went to a place of dark questioning, which is very much not Sarah, this year was about "OK, I have this power that sort of separates me from the rest of the world," which in a weird way is the life of a star. She's also dealing with authority, too, how hard it is to be in charge.>> If you accept that Sarah is the inspiration for season 7 buffy, it raises all sorts of issues about the supporting parts. For example, its been widely reported that JW and SMG fought over the direction of Season 6. (Bubbly sarah didn't think self abuse was fitting behavior for Buffy.) So when Buffy shut the door in Giles face (in Lies My Parents Told to Me), maybe that was symbolic of SMG turning her back on Joss. And to take it even further, maybe Spike is to Buffy as Freddie is to Sarah. Freddie thinks sarah is the salt of the earth, and she shines more than him. Also, I can speculate that Sarah started isolating herself from the cast and crew season 6, and perhaps the more she isolated herself, the more she turned to freddie for moral support, just as Buffy turned to Spike the more she isolated herself from the scoobs. And we know that Freddie doesn't think much of the cast and crew of Buffy. In an interview with zap2it.com (4/17/2003), he stated: <<"A lot of people owe Sarah a lot for doing that show," Prinze says, "and she doesn't always get the credit she deserves. She's a very strong woman, because she deals with a lot of nonsense, and instead of that nonsense, she should be thanked -- and she's not. That's the reason she won't be coming back." "Sarah's the most appreciative person in the world, and if that environment would have remained the way it would six years ago, she would go back, because she's loyal. But things change, and people's egos get in the way sometimes. They make poor decisions." "I don't agree with it, but I understand it, and I just pray I'm never guilty of it." >> Similarly, in Empty Places, Spike goes off on the Scoobs for what he perceives as their acts of betrayal. The more I think about it, the more that I think that Season 7 was an allegory of SMG's fame and ego and of course her redeeming quality, talent. And alas, Buffy doesn't really love Spike. She needs him for his unconditional love and support, but she doesn't love spike like she loved Angel. What does that say about SMG and Freddie?

2003-05-21 12:24:45-07:00 - Re: The Salon Interview - analysis - (omarenoryt@aol.com)

cordelia525@hotmail.com (cordelia525) wrote in message news:<58911ad2.0305210629.1b2f5df4@posting.google.com>... > In the salon interview, JW stated: > > <<You live with these people and interact with them for the past seven > years and that starts to creep in. The whole "I'm a stalwart hero who > does the job" sort of came from Sarah [Michelle Gellar] a bit. > > It also came from "I've come back from the dead!" This is no small > thing, no coming out of the shower. You don't buy that back cheaply. > Whereas last year Buffy went to a place of dark questioning, which is > very much not Sarah, this year was about "OK, I have this power that > sort of separates me from the rest of the world," which in a weird way > is the life of a star. > > She's also dealing with authority, too, how hard it is to be in > charge.>> > > If you accept that Sarah is the inspiration for season 7 buffy, it > raises all sorts of issues about the supporting parts. For example, > its been widely reported that JW and SMG fought over the direction of > Season 6. SMG saying she didn't like certain aspects of Season 6 doesn't constitute the above hyperbole. Take it down a notch, jerkoff. (Bubbly sarah didn't think self abuse was fitting behavior > for Buffy.) So when Buffy shut the door in Giles face (in Lies My > Parents Told to Me), maybe that was symbolic of SMG turning her back > on Joss. > > And to take it even further, maybe Spike is to Buffy as Freddie is to > Sarah. Freddie thinks sarah is the salt of the earth, and she shines > more than him. Also, I can speculate that Sarah started isolating > herself from the cast and crew season 6, and perhaps the more she > isolated herself, the more she turned to freddie for moral support, > just as Buffy turned to Spike the more she isolated herself from the > scoobs. > > And we know that Freddie doesn't think much of the cast and crew of > Buffy. In an interview with zap2it.com (4/17/2003), he stated: > > <<"A lot of people owe Sarah a lot for doing that show," Prinze says, > "and she doesn't always get the credit she deserves. She's a very > strong woman, because she deals with a lot of nonsense, and instead of > that nonsense, she should be thanked -- and she's not. That's the > reason she won't be coming back." > > "Sarah's the most appreciative person in the world, and if that > environment would have remained the way it would six years ago, she > would go back, because she's loyal. But things change, and people's > egos get in the way sometimes. They make poor decisions." > > "I don't agree with it, but I understand it, and I just pray I'm never > guilty of it." >> > > Similarly, in Empty Places, Spike goes off on the Scoobs for what he > perceives as their acts of betrayal. > > The more I think about it, the more that I think that Season 7 was an > allegory of SMG's fame and ego and of course her redeeming quality, > talent. > > And alas, Buffy doesn't really love Spike. She needs him for his > unconditional love and support, but she doesn't love spike like she > loved Angel. What does that say about SMG and Freddie? Absolutely nothing, despite your laughable attempts to equate a television show about a girl who kills vampires with real life.

2003-05-21 17:27:28+00:00 - Re: The Salon Interview - analysis - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

> >And alas, Buffy doesn't really love Spike. A lot of people think she does. She needs him for his >unconditional love and support, but she doesn't love spike like she >loved Angel. Maybe she loves Spike in a better way. Teenage passion tends to burn the candle at both ends. >What does that say about SMG and >Freddie? Freddie is safe. The networks don't care who SMG ends up with. "God had tempered judgment with mercy." -- Jane Eyre

2003-05-21 17:27:28+00:00 - Re: The Salon Interview - analysis - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

> >And alas, Buffy doesn't really love Spike. A lot of people think she does. She needs him for his >unconditional love and support, but she doesn't love spike like she >loved Angel. Maybe she loves Spike in a better way. Teenage passion tends to burn the candle at both ends. >What does that say about SMG and >Freddie? Freddie is safe. The networks don't care who SMG ends up with. "God had tempered judgment with mercy." -- Jane Eyre

2003-05-22 01:39:16+00:00 - Re: The Salon Interview - analysis - (Chris Zabel <alephnull@earthlink.net>)

I think pretty astute analysis until the end with the stuff about Freddie where it starts getting over the top. Now add in the idea of FE Buffy as SMG's less pleasant side and you start getting a pretty complete metaphor by Joss.

2003-05-22 09:09:33-07:00 - Re: The Salon Interview - analysis - (cordelia525@hotmail.com)

"Chris Zabel" <alephnull@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<8TVya.11002$Io.878066@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>... > I think pretty astute analysis until the end with the stuff about Freddie > where it starts getting over the top. Now add in the idea of FE Buffy as > SMG's less pleasant side and you start getting a pretty complete metaphor by > Joss. Yeah my Freddie analysis may be a bit out there. I'm biassed; I think Freddie's "beneath her"...not unlike season 6 Spike. Freddie's all anti-scoobygang (in the remarks I posted), and thats not cool IMO. SMG has been nothing but graceful in her public statements. Freddie is a yoko-factor, just like spike. See, the similarities are endless. I like FE Buffy as SMG's inner power-bitch. Good one. Now if only Joss were to take out a contract on Freddie's life...