FLM films - My Webpage

2003-03-02 11:27:18-07:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

I had the child from hell. I couldn't go anywhere without him making a terrible scene and he was always volatile and violent, fighting and hurting other kids. He even tripped a teacher at the daycare one time. Other parents thought we had to be the worst parents ever but honestly we did all we could, he was just one of those kids. Well as he started to get older he settled down and now at 16 he's doing pretty good. Just when everyone elses little darlings are starting to act like hell beasts. Somewhat satisfying I suppose.

2003-03-02 12:37:28-06:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net>)

In article <v64ivjrcgrah1a@corp.supernews.com>, "slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: > I had the child from hell. I couldn't go anywhere without him making a > terrible scene and he was always volatile and violent, fighting and hurting > other kids. He even tripped a teacher at the daycare one time. Other > parents thought we had to be the worst parents ever but honestly we did all > we could, he was just one of those kids. Well as he started to get older he > settled down and now at 16 he's doing pretty good. > > Just when everyone elses little darlings are starting to act like hell > beasts. Somewhat satisfying I suppose. I'm sure he's a hell beast too. Its just that's he's had so much more experience then the rest that now he's able to hide it better or he gets the other kids to do his dirty work for him now.

2003-03-02 12:56:28-07:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

2003-03-02 12:56:47-07:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

2003-03-02 12:57:27-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On 02 Mar 2003 17:38:05 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: >Rat wrote > >> >>Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about >>me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, >>climbing on racks). > >Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the black >conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the belt, that belt >where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I don't eat bananas and pears, >but some people do.) My mom's favorite was before we got a washer and dryer in the house. She'd go to the laundromat and watch people let their little darlings run up and down the aisles with the laundry carts. Running them in to whatever and whoever they pleased. Then she'd occasionally go to use a washer and find someone who so thoughtfully used it to wash their kid's dirty diapers without rinsing them out first. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-03-02 13:24:41-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (NickKnight <NickKnightonFKNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

On fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: >Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the black >conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the belt, that belt >where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I don't eat bananas and pears, >but some people do.) And the pesticides used on the produce are probably much worse than what is on his shoes. -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

2003-03-02 13:44:49-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Morpheus <carterr@miskatonic.edu>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... > I never had a pet peeve, are they very expensive to maintain? I had a pet fetish once but I had to get rid of it because people were looking at me strangely.

2003-03-02 14:06:43-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:44:49 -0500, "Morpheus" <carterr@miskatonic.edu> wrote: >"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message >news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... >> > >I never had a pet peeve, are they very expensive to maintain? I had a pet >fetish once but I had to get rid of it because people were looking at me >strangely. > Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the popularity of the pet rock fad in the 70's. Another was real "lumps of coal". Perfect for the hard to please person on your Christmas list. They all came with a little cardboard box for a bed and an instruction manual for their care. :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-03-02 14:11:19-07:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

> Rose those pee and poo germs are nothing compared to the rats and mice that > scamper all over those cans of food when they're stacked in the warehouse. > Jul Thats very comforting.

2003-03-02 14:11:19-07:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

> Rose those pee and poo germs are nothing compared to the rats and mice that > scamper all over those cans of food when they're stacked in the warehouse. > Jul Thats very comforting.

2003-03-02 14:18:28-06:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

Rose wrote: > Rat wrote > >> >> Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain >> about me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing >> in cart, climbing on racks). > > Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the > black conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the > belt, that belt where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I > don't eat bananas and pears, but some people do.) > > Or they sit their toddlers on the belt, and one can only pray that > Baby Caitlin's diaper hasn't leaked, and that her pee and poo germs > aren't going all over the belt where we put our boxes and cans of > food, boxes and cans that will be on the kitchen table or counter > when we get home. > > But I'm sure these parents think that Baby Caitlin's shoe sole dirt > and pee germs and poo germs are so pwecious wecious that we'll all be > thrilled to die of food poisoning spread by her sweet little self. :p > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew Rose those pee and poo germs are nothing compared to the rats and mice that scamper all over those cans of food when they're stacked in the warehouse. Jul -- I'm not insane I'm normal in a screwed up society

2003-03-02 15:01:17-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (NickKnight <NickKnightonFKNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

2003-03-02 15:30:14-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:56:28 -0700, "slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the >popularity >> of the pet rock fad in the 70's. Another was real "lumps of coal". >Perfect >> for the hard to please person on your Christmas list. They all came with >a >> little cardboard box for a bed and an instruction manual for their care. >:) > >Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! > heh. I'm old enough to have HAD a pet rock. :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-03-02 15:30:14-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:56:28 -0700, "slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the >popularity >> of the pet rock fad in the 70's. Another was real "lumps of coal". >Perfect >> for the hard to please person on your Christmas list. They all came with >a >> little cardboard box for a bed and an instruction manual for their care. >:) > >Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! > heh. I'm old enough to have HAD a pet rock. :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-03-02 16:36:54-06:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

slapfish wrote: >> Rose those pee and poo germs are nothing compared to the rats and >> mice that scamper all over those cans of food when they're stacked >> in the warehouse. Jul > > Thats very comforting. I had a friend that worked in a food wearhouse, the stories he had.<shudder> Sad to say it didn't prepare me for what I'd find when grocery shopping on vacation in the tropics. That just made cooking and eating a whole new experience. (we decided better to eat out so we didn't know) I'll take the pee and poo on the conveyer belt any day. Jul -- I'm not insane I'm normal in a screwed up society

2003-03-02 16:59:39-06:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

Rose wrote: >> Subject: Re: OT: My new pet peeve >> From: "Juleen" REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net >> Date: 3/2/2003 2:36 PM Pacific Standard Time >> Message-id: <b3u127$1pr1k2$1@ID-184786.news.dfncis.de> >> >> slapfish wrote: >>>> Rose those pee and poo germs are nothing compared to the rats and >>>> mice that scamper all over those cans of food when they're stacked >>>> in the warehouse. Jul >>> >>> Thats very comforting. >> >> I had a friend that worked in a food wearhouse, the stories he >> had.<shudder> >> >> Sad to say it didn't prepare me for what I'd find when grocery >> shopping on vacation in the tropics. That just made cooking and >> eating a whole new experience. (we decided better to eat out so we >> didn't know) I'll take the pee and poo on the conveyer belt any day. >> Jul >> > > Why should we HAVE to take the pee and the poo on the conveyor belt?\ And bleach, laundry detergent, insecticides, and anything else that might be stuck to the bottom of a box or bottle that is set on the belt. I guess pee and poo germs on a conveyer belt are the least of your worries compared to all the other stuff there too. Jul > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew -- I'm not insane I'm normal in a screwed up society

2003-03-02 17:01:38-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 22:38:48 GMT, "Ken" <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net> wrote: > >"EGK" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message >> Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the >popularity >> of the pet rock fad in the 70's. Another was real "lumps of coal". >Perfect >> for the hard to please person on your Christmas list. They all came with >a >> little cardboard box for a bed and an instruction manual for their care. >:) > >I'm no expert on this whole x-mas mythsl, but it was my understanding that >lumps of coal was considered some kind of punishment (admittedly a far cry >from when St. Nicholas simply kidnapped bad kids in his sack). That was the point. They were a gag gift. Someone got the idea to actually put a little lump of coal in a box and included a niftly little fact sheet to go with it. Then sold them for big bucks. :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

[...]

2003-03-02 17:18:43+00:00 - OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where lots of people are walking nearby. When I'm with my elderly mom, I have to tell these little darlings to stop swinging those things so they won't hit my mom in the head. (I can duck more easily than she can.) Does the parent apologize or say "Horace, stop that right now or I'll take it away from you!" No, the parent glares at me, and smiles and cuddles little Horace, who grins wickedly, planning his next rubber-ball swinging move. Parents of 10 year old boys, if Junior's rubber ball thing hits my mom in the head, I hope you guys know some good lawyers who work cheap. Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-02 17:23:30-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (NickKnight <NickKnightonFKNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

On "slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: >Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! Actually I am old enough to remember them. -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

2003-03-02 17:23:30-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (NickKnight <NickKnightonFKNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

On "slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: >Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! Actually I am old enough to remember them. -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

2003-03-02 17:27:33-06:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

Rose wrote: > > In your opinion, I suppose so... But you're still not answering my > question. > Um...that seems to be a problem. I have absolutely no idea. Why is the world full of idiots doing idiotic stuff all the time? Why do people only think about themselves and give no thought to the person that's going to have to follow in their wake. Why is there war and famine? Poverty? Rose if I could answer you're question I would have the answer's to all the biggies too. Jul > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew -- I'm not insane I'm normal in a screwed up society

2003-03-02 17:28:36+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (rat <rat@the.zoo>)

In article <20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com>, Rose wrote: > Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber > balls around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. > Where lots of people are walking nearby. > > When I'm with my elderly mom, I have to tell these little darlings to > stop swinging those things so they won't hit my mom in the head. (I > can duck more easily than she can.) Does the parent apologize or say > "Horace, stop that right now or I'll take it away from you!" No, the > parent glares at me, and smiles and cuddles little Horace, who grins > wickedly, planning his next rubber-ball swinging move. Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, climbing on racks). So happy I don't have to do that anymore. > Parents of 10 year old boys, if Junior's rubber ball thing hits my mom > in the head, I hope you guys know some good lawyers who work cheap. Even if they never get sued their lives will be a living hell when Horace reaches 14 and turns his sweet disposition on them. Ha haha hahaha!

[...]

2003-03-02 17:33:19+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Rat wrote: > >Even if they never get sued their lives will be a living hell when Horace >reaches 14 and turns his sweet >disposition on them. Ha haha hahaha! And then they'll wonder what went wrong. He was always such a sweet baby boy. Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-02 17:38:05+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-02 18:31:42-07:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

2003-03-02 18:35:05-07:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

2003-03-02 18:40:19-06:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

-- I'm not insane I'm normal in a screwed up society "Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302192403.22649.00000259@mb-ck.aol.com... > >Subject: Re: OT: My new pet peeve > >From: "Juleen" REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net > >Date: 3/2/2003 3:27 PM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: <b3u417$1pk35q$1@ID-184786.news.dfncis.de> > > > >Rose wrote: > > > >> > >> In your opinion, I suppose so... But you're still not answering my > >> question. > >> > >Um...that seems to be a problem. I have absolutely no idea. Why is the world > >full of idiots doing idiotic stuff all the time? > > Oh, sorry, I thought you were in support of the kids on the belts. My bad. > It's the meds talking. No, but compared to the rest of the evils on the conveyer belt and the world, it seems like too small of an anoyance to really care about. Jul > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-02 19:38:14-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu>)

In article <20030302123805.22649.00000239@mb-ck.aol.com>, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: >Rat wrote >>Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about >>me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, >>climbing on racks). >Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the black >conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the belt, that belt >where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I don't eat bananas and pears, >but some people do.) Uh, Rose? Not to defend those parents, but most bananas seem to come wrapped. I think they're born that way. (And "some people" should be putting their pears in plastic bags, because do you really think the conveyor belt is clean even if kids don't stand on it?) --------------------------------------------- David M. Nieporent nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu

[...]

2003-03-02 21:13:38+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Slappie wrote: >Other >parents thought we had to be the worst parents ever but honestly we did all >we could, he was just one of those kids. Hey, as long as the parents don't glare at me and grin approvingly at their tykes when said tykes do things that endanger passers-by, I don't automatically blame them. Some kids are just biochemically rambunctious. In some ways, I think a little bad behavior shows a kid has a healthy sense of rebelliousness. That's why what I object to is not that the kid is high spirited, but parents who think their kids' bad behavior is cute and harmless when it is clearly not, and encourage them to run amok, treating worried passers by like we're party poopers for not wanting large, hard objects to hit us in the head bringing about concussion. It's the kid's job to cut up once in awhile, and the parents' job to set limits and say the word that is so frowned upon in our society, "no." Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-02 21:41:50+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-02 21:42:47+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-02 22:32:59+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302123805.22649.00000239@mb-ck.aol.com... > Rat wrote > > > > >Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about > >me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, > >climbing on racks). > > Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the black > conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the belt, that belt > where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I don't eat bananas and pears, > but some people do.) > > Or they sit their toddlers on the belt, and one can only pray that Baby > Caitlin's diaper hasn't leaked, and that her pee and poo germs aren't going all > over the belt where we put our boxes and cans of food, boxes and cans that will > be on the kitchen table or counter when we get home. > > But I'm sure these parents think that Baby Caitlin's shoe sole dirt and pee > germs and poo germs are so pwecious wecious that we'll all be thrilled to die > of food poisoning spread by her sweet little self. :p > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew GROSS! I have to get food from grocery store! Thanks for that concept, Rose. -- Ken from Chicago

2003-03-02 22:36:21+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Snuggles" <postmaster@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:postmaster-8D0A47.12372802032003@husk.cso.niu.edu... > In article <v64ivjrcgrah1a@corp.supernews.com>, > "slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > I had the child from hell. I couldn't go anywhere without him making a > > terrible scene and he was always volatile and violent, fighting and hurting > > other kids. He even tripped a teacher at the daycare one time. Other > > parents thought we had to be the worst parents ever but honestly we did all > > we could, he was just one of those kids. Well as he started to get older he > > settled down and now at 16 he's doing pretty good. > > > > Just when everyone elses little darlings are starting to act like hell > > beasts. Somewhat satisfying I suppose. > > I'm sure he's a hell beast too. Its just that's he's had so much more > experience then the rest that now he's able to hide it better or he gets > the other kids to do his dirty work for him now. No way kids can hide bad behavior from their own parents. How DARE you suggest such a thing of her precious?! -- Ken from Chicago

2003-03-02 22:38:48+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"EGK" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:fcl46v4i7qd0bcs25au3bcf5dal24mbock@4ax.com... > On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:44:49 -0500, "Morpheus" <carterr@miskatonic.edu> > wrote: > > >"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message > >news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... > >> > > > >I never had a pet peeve, are they very expensive to maintain? I had a pet > >fetish once but I had to get rid of it because people were looking at me > >strangely. > > > > Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the popularity > of the pet rock fad in the 70's. Another was real "lumps of coal". Perfect > for the hard to please person on your Christmas list. They all came with a > little cardboard box for a bed and an instruction manual for their care. :) I'm no expert on this whole x-mas mythsl, but it was my understanding that lumps of coal was considered some kind of punishment (admittedly a far cry from when St. Nicholas simply kidnapped bad kids in his sack). -- Ken from Chicago

2003-03-02 22:44:42+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-02 23:09:16+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-03 00:04:12+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Tirya <Tirya@spamfree.addy>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302123805.22649.00000239@mb-ck.aol.com... > Rat wrote > > > > >Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about > >me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, > >climbing on racks). > > Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the black > conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the belt, that belt > where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I don't eat bananas and pears, > but some people do.) > > Or they sit their toddlers on the belt, and one can only pray that Baby > Caitlin's diaper hasn't leaked, and that her pee and poo germs aren't going all > over the belt where we put our boxes and cans of food, boxes and cans that will > be on the kitchen table or counter when we get home. > > But I'm sure these parents think that Baby Caitlin's shoe sole dirt and pee > germs and poo germs are so pwecious wecious that we'll all be thrilled to die > of food poisoning spread by her sweet little self. :p And of course if the precious baby is hurt in any way while sitting or standing on the conveyor belt, you know whose fault it is and who's going to have the lawsuit slapped on them, right? Because it's *certainly* not the *parents'* fault that they put their child where they don't belong... Tirya -- TDC Inca Jeeper ...which nicely encompasses three hobbies in one! Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die - adopt a stray and save a life.

2003-03-03 00:24:03+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-03 00:31:32+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (rat <rat@the.zoo>)

In article <b3u417$1pk35q$1@ID-184786.news.dfncis.de>, Juleen wrote: > Rose wrote: > >> >> In your opinion, I suppose so... But you're still not answering my >> question. >> > Um...that seems to be a problem. I have absolutely no idea. Why is > the world full of idiots doing idiotic stuff all the time? Thats an easy one. The world is run by idiots because they're more efficient than hamsters.

2003-03-03 00:40:43+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (John Campbell Rees <jwcr@gardd-lelog.org.uk>)

During the course of this discussion, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose), in message <20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com> wrote: > Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls > around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where > lots of people are walking nearby. > > When I'm with my elderly mom, I have to tell these little darlings to stop > swinging those things so they won't hit my mom in the head. (I can duck more > easily than she can.) Does the parent apologize or say "Horace, stop that > right now or I'll take it away from you!" No, the parent glares at me, and > smiles and cuddles little Horace, who grins wickedly, planning his next > rubber-ball swinging move. The problem is not really with the Parents, it is with the Grandparents and a whole generation of teachers who let the current generation of Parents do what they liked when they liked. So little Horrace's mother and father cannot suitably discipline their little darling because they do not know what discipline is themselves. Its quite simple. Corporal Punishment as a weapon of last resort works. -- "Like shooting flies with a laser cannon, the aims a bit tricky, but it certainly deals with the flies." - Lord Miles Vorkosigan.

2003-03-03 00:56:45+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (rat <rat@the.zoo>)

In article <74b021cd4b.jwcr@dendarii.btinternet.com>, John Campbell Rees wrote: [snip] > The problem is not really with the Parents, it is with the Grandparents > and a whole generation of teachers who let the current generation of > Parents do what they liked when they liked. As someone partially raised by his Grandmother I can say that not all of that generation believed that "woolly-headed liberal thinking". :) > So little Horrace's mother and father cannot suitably discipline their > little darling because they do not know what discipline is themselves. > Its quite simple. Corporal Punishment as a weapon of last resort works. Most of the time a stern look and quick talking to works, with spanking a very occasional punishment. I personally went from a very permisive, uncontrolled environment, to a structured and loving environment, to an authoritarian environment. Too much "spare the rod" leads to kids just as out of control as no discipline at all.

[...]

2003-03-03 01:43:14+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (nimue <cup_o_cakes@yahoo.com>)

slapfish wrote: >> No way kids can hide bad behavior from their own parents. How DARE >> you suggest such a thing of her precious?! > > To be perfectly honest my son wasn't that good at hiding things from > anyone. I'm sure I don't know everything, but he got caught a lot. > Most of his problems were not the sneaky tricky kind of mischief, but > the impulsive stupid kind. He's doing a much better job of > controlling his impulses, making good decisions and checking his > temper. > > I suppose I deserved that for taking joy in other parents problems, > but if you knew how many times I got the "My little Johnny is > perfect, it's your sons fault" when he was younger I think you would > understand my reaction. There were numerous times I saw these kids > bait him and then when he exploded violently they ran to Mommy to > tell on the big bad bully. They weren't little angels, they were > just sneakier. But all that looking the other way by Mom and Dad has > now taken it's toll. I was once trying to separate two girls who were fighting in school -- I will call one Jane and the other Mary -- when Jane's mother appeared to pick her up (she had been called). Now -- never mind that I am not covered in any way if I get hurt separating two kids who are fighting -- if I get hurt, it's my tough luck. Only security guards get workman's comp for something like that -- not teachers. Anyway, just as Jane's mother arrives, Jane hauls off and smacks Mary. Jane's mother races over and says, "Did you see that?! Mary just hit my precious Jane." I was so stunned, I didn't know what to do. I even questioned what I saw -- but there was Mary's face, bright red from the smack -- but Jane's mother said, "I saw what I saw" and wanted no part of reality. -- nimue we're just put in a set of surroundings and *we* create our world -- but be aware of the permeable limits PDB and nimue

2003-03-03 02:25:04+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - ("Stimpson J. Cat" <house@next.tuesday>)

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 00:56:45 GMT, rat <rat@the.zoo> wrote: > >As someone partially raised by his Grandmother I can say that not all of >that generation believed that "woolly-headed liberal thinking". :) > Exactly the kind of thinking that leads to being eaten!! Stimpson

2003-03-03 02:25:04+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - ("Stimpson J. Cat" <house@next.tuesday>)

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 00:56:45 GMT, rat <rat@the.zoo> wrote: > >As someone partially raised by his Grandmother I can say that not all of >that generation believed that "woolly-headed liberal thinking". :) > Exactly the kind of thinking that leads to being eaten!! Stimpson

2003-03-03 02:27:07+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

JWCR wrote: >ts quite simple. Corporal >Punishment as a weapon of last resort works. Hey, I'll settle for not rewarding the little terror with a conspiratorial smile when he narrowly misses the noggins of the populace. Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-03 02:27:07+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

JWCR wrote: >ts quite simple. Corporal >Punishment as a weapon of last resort works. Hey, I'll settle for not rewarding the little terror with a conspiratorial smile when he narrowly misses the noggins of the populace. Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-03 02:33:01+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Nie wrote: > >Uh, Rose? Not to defend those parents, Why not, everyone else is <vbg> >but most bananas seem to come >wrapped. I think they're born that way. Don't you eat the peel? Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-03 03:10:31-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

Walking out of the store with merchandise "He's not going to steal it!" -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done. "rat" <rat@the.zoo> wrote in message news:8br8a.318715$be.298732@rwcrnsc53... > Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about > me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, > climbing on racks). So happy I don't have to do that anymore.

2003-03-03 03:11:56-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

I don't think too many people who eat banana skin. Or who don't wash their fruit before eating it. -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done. "Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302123805.22649.00000239@mb-ck.aol.com... > Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the black > conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the belt, that belt > where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I don't eat bananas and pears, > but some people do.)

2003-03-03 03:12:55-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

In general, all parents today stuck. -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done. "Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... snip > Parents of 10 year old boys, if Junior's rubber ball thing hits my mom in the > head, I hope you guys know some good lawyers who work cheap. > > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-03 03:14:01-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302213301.22649.00000267@mb-ck.aol.com... > Nie wrote: > > > > >Uh, Rose? Not to defend those parents, > > Why not, everyone else is <vbg> > > >but most bananas seem to come > >wrapped. I think they're born that way. > > Don't you eat the peel? Dude. Are you serious? NO :)

2003-03-03 03:40:53+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Rob Myers <robm@robmyers.removethisspamblocker.net>)

In article <v64o6rgfg8cu8d@corp.supernews.com>, slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote: > Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! I am, much to my chagrin. -- rob m at rob myers dot net

2003-03-03 05:17:25+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Juleen wrote in message ... >Rose wrote: >> Rat wrote >> >>> >>> Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain >>> about me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing >>> in cart, climbing on racks). >> >> Oh, you know my favorite? Parents who stand their toddlers on the >> black conveyor belt. The toddlers' dirty shoe soles get all over the >> belt, that belt where we put our unwrapped bananas and pears. (I >> don't eat bananas and pears, but some people do.) >> >> Or they sit their toddlers on the belt, and one can only pray that >> Baby Caitlin's diaper hasn't leaked, and that her pee and poo germs >> aren't going all over the belt where we put our boxes and cans of >> food, boxes and cans that will be on the kitchen table or counter >> when we get home. >> >> But I'm sure these parents think that Baby Caitlin's shoe sole dirt >> and pee germs and poo germs are so pwecious wecious that we'll all be >> thrilled to die of food poisoning spread by her sweet little self. :p > >Rose those pee and poo germs are nothing compared to the rats and mice that >scamper all over those cans of food when they're stacked in the warehouse. Humans carry germs that are more dangerous to other humans than most vermin unless there's a serious plague epidemic or some rodent viral thing like the outbreak that hit the Hopi a few years back. Young children are the worst: it's why they aren't allowed into many areas of hospitals. I try to avoid them, since they also carry lice. The roaches in the warehouses are probably more dangerous, and the flies aren't much better. On the whole, food in cans or plastic are lots safer than stuff in plain cardboard (Thinking of the pasta and oatmeal I have in cardboard, I can only hope that the big boxes they are packed in help keep most nasty stuff out until they go on the shelves shortly before you buy it). Face it: if you don't grow it all yourself, you're at the mercy of everyone who ever came within spitting or sneezing distance of your food. You can get paranoid, or just wash everything, or cook it well. And don't be rude to the people working in your local double meat palace or who knows what might be between those buns...

2003-03-03 05:22:20+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

rat wrote in message ... >In article <b3u417$1pk35q$1@ID-184786.news.dfncis.de>, Juleen wrote: >> Rose wrote: >> >>> >>> In your opinion, I suppose so... But you're still not answering my >>> question. >>> >> Um...that seems to be a problem. I have absolutely no idea. Why is >> the world full of idiots doing idiotic stuff all the time? > >Thats an easy one. The world is run by idiots because they're more >efficient than hamsters. But they fall off the wheel a lot more often, need much more care, and usually smell worse.

2003-03-03 05:37:00+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

John Campbell Rees wrote in message <74b021cd4b.jwcr@dendarii.btinternet.com>... >During the course of this discussion, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose), > in message <20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com> wrote: > >> Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls >> around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where >> lots of people are walking nearby. >> >> When I'm with my elderly mom, I have to tell these little darlings to stop >> swinging those things so they won't hit my mom in the head. (I can duck more >> easily than she can.) Does the parent apologize or say "Horace, stop that >> right now or I'll take it away from you!" No, the parent glares at me, and >> smiles and cuddles little Horace, who grins wickedly, planning his next >> rubber-ball swinging move. > >The problem is not really with the Parents, it is with the Grandparents >and a whole generation of teachers who let the current generation of >Parents do what they liked when they liked. So little Horrace's mother >and father cannot suitably discipline their little darling because they >do not know what discipline is themselves. Its quite simple. Corporal >Punishment as a weapon of last resort works. Except that every child in the USA has been taught the child abuse hotline phone number by his teachers, and won't hesitate to use it, or threaten to use it. And that line is manned by people who believe that no child lies and no parent tells the truth. Probably because they don't have children, or don't have custody of them.

2003-03-03 06:43:01-08:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (jimi_merlyn@yahoo.com)

rat <rat@the.zoo> wrote in message news:<8br8a.318715$be.298732@rwcrnsc53>... > Try working retail or in a grocery store. I had customers complain about > me when I tried to get them to control their child (standing in cart, > climbing on racks). So happy I don't have to do that anymore. > I'll never forget the time I was in Toys 'R' Us and these two kids came racing by on scooters and nearly hit me and an employee who was helping me out. The employee politely told the kids not to ride the scooters in the store. Then the parents came around the corner _on scooters_ and gave the employee dirty looks like "don't tell our kids what to do!" -- Jimi Merlyn

2003-03-03 07:24:15+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (stardreamer@mindspring.com)

In article <FzB8a.8317$Uy4.705835@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, aethelrede@worldnet.att.net says... > Humans carry germs that are more dangerous to other humans than most >vermin unless there's a serious plague epidemic or some rodent viral thing >like the outbreak that hit the Hopi a few years back. Young children are >the worst: it's why they aren't allowed into many areas of hospitals. Um, not quite. It's the other way around: children are barred from many hospital areas because they have incompletely developed immune systems and might *catch* something which would hit them harder than it would an adult. Ask a medical professional if you don't believe me. Celine -- Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat "Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring." -- Diane Duane, _Nightfall at Algemron_

2003-03-03 08:07:09+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-03 08:07:33+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-03 08:17:14+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

>Subject: Re: OT: My new pet peeve >From: "Go-ta Maga-nus" mtm@e.c >Date: 3/3/2003 12:11 AM Pacific Standard Time >Message-id: <b3v2of$439$1@slb2.atl.mindspring.net> > >I don't think too many people who eat >banana skin. Too bad you haven't met them. They're the most fun people to know. >Or who don't wash their >fruit before eating it. > No amount of fruit washing could ever erase the memory of butt-on-belt syndrome. ;)

2003-03-03 08:17:14+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

>Subject: Re: OT: My new pet peeve >From: "Go-ta Maga-nus" mtm@e.c >Date: 3/3/2003 12:11 AM Pacific Standard Time >Message-id: <b3v2of$439$1@slb2.atl.mindspring.net> > >I don't think too many people who eat >banana skin. Too bad you haven't met them. They're the most fun people to know. >Or who don't wash their >fruit before eating it. > No amount of fruit washing could ever erase the memory of butt-on-belt syndrome. ;)

2003-03-03 08:40:37-08:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Rose wrote: > > Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls > around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where lots of > people are walking nearby. Sons with obnoxious rubber balls. Yup, that's a problem.

2003-03-03 10:32:33+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:v65br7tlvgvj0d@corp.supernews.com... > > > > No way kids can hide bad behavior from their own parents. How DARE you > > suggest such a thing of her precious?! > > To be perfectly honest my son wasn't that good at hiding things from anyone. > I'm sure I don't know everything, but he got caught a lot. Most of his > problems were not the sneaky tricky kind of mischief, but the impulsive > stupid kind. He's doing a much better job of controlling his impulses, > making good decisions and checking his temper. > > I suppose I deserved that for taking joy in other parents problems, but if > you knew how many times I got the "My little Johnny is perfect, it's your > sons fault" when he was younger I think you would understand my reaction. > There were numerous times I saw these kids bait him and then when he > exploded violently they ran to Mommy to tell on the big bad bully. They > weren't little angels, they were just sneakier. But all that looking the > other way by Mom and Dad has now taken it's toll. Well to be fair, I don't have kids. I can't imagine what it's like to raise kids today with all they have access to. At least to admit former problems is a huge deal in light of the giant blindspot many parents have toward their own kids--especially backed up by lawyers, sheesh. -- Ken from Chicago

2003-03-03 15:11:48+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (AA <res1nxlo@verizon.net>)

erm.. gee thanks. I love you too, I guess ashie parent "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote in message news:b3v2qb$fa4$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net... > In general, all parents today stuck. > > -- > TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. > Thy will be done. > > > "Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message > news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... > snip > > Parents of 10 year old boys, if Junior's rubber ball thing hits my mom in > the > > head, I hope you guys know some good lawyers who work cheap. > > > > > > > > Rose > > It's not Giles, no, it's not > > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew > >

2003-03-03 15:22:37-07:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

2003-03-03 15:33:28-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (DarkMagic <slnospambilan@comcast.net>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... What was wrong with your old pet peeve? > Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls > around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where lots of > people are walking nearby. > > When I'm with my elderly mom, I have to tell these little darlings to stop > swinging those things so they won't hit my mom in the head. (I can duck more > easily than she can.) Does the parent apologize or say "Horace, stop that > right now or I'll take it away from you!" No, the parent glares at me, and > smiles and cuddles little Horace, who grins wickedly, planning his next > rubber-ball swinging move. > Hmmmm.....my son is only four. We've never seen these swinging rubber balls you mention. I'm sure he'll want one as soon as he does. Small male children are innately fascinated by any rounded objects that can be thrown or swung, anything that might be used as a weapon, and bugs. I will try and keep him away from the elderly, other small children, and animals, though, once he has acquired this menace. > Parents of 10 year old boys, if Junior's rubber ball thing hits my mom in the > head, I hope you guys know some good lawyers who work cheap. > What parent of a son hasn't dreaded that happening at least once? To think I used to worry about the menace of my dog. ;) >-- Shannon Cordelia: "Angel is only happy when he's fighting evil. Let's drum up a little!" Doyle: "I don't know why we're looking for evil when we got you here." >

2003-03-03 15:38:47-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (DarkMagic <slnospambilan@comcast.net>)

"slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:v64ivjrcgrah1a@corp.supernews.com... > I had the child from hell. I couldn't go anywhere without him making a > terrible scene and he was always volatile and violent, fighting and hurting > other kids. He even tripped a teacher at the daycare one time. My nephew was expelled from Kindergarten for throwing rocks at the nun. Yes, at the nun. My own dear brother used to hide inside of garbage cans at the curb on his way home from school, pop out and throw snowballs *with rocks inside of them* at passing cars, and then duck back into the can so no one could see who threw it. Other > parents thought we had to be the worst parents ever but honestly we did all > we could, he was just one of those kids. Unless Jeffrey Dahmer is your son, somebody else's kid is always worse. Well as he started to get older he > settled down and now at 16 he's doing pretty good. > Good for you. > Just when everyone elses little darlings are starting to act like hell > beasts. Somewhat satisfying I suppose. > Where's the Slayer when you need her? > -- Shannon Cordelia: "Angel is only happy when he's fighting evil. Let's drum up a little!" Doyle: "I don't know why we're looking for evil when we got you here."

2003-03-03 15:45:02-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:38:47 -0500, "DarkMagic" <slnospambilan@comcast.net> wrote: > > >"slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:v64ivjrcgrah1a@corp.supernews.com... >> I had the child from hell. I couldn't go anywhere without him making a >> terrible scene and he was always volatile and violent, fighting and >hurting >> other kids. He even tripped a teacher at the daycare one time. > >My nephew was expelled from Kindergarten for throwing rocks at the nun. >Yes, at the nun. > >My own dear brother used to hide inside of garbage cans at the curb on his >way home from school, pop out and throw snowballs *with rocks inside of >them* at passing cars, and then duck back into the can so no one could see >who threw it. Well, nice to see you only throw bon mots at the Mutant Enemy writing staff and your fellow posters. Still, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it? You're all bad seeds. :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

2003-03-03 15:57:18-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Tom Breton <tehom@REMOVEpanNOSPAMix.com>)

> >Subject: Re: OT: My new pet peeve > >From: "Juleen" REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net > >Date: 3/2/2003 3:27 PM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: <b3u417$1pk35q$1@ID-184786.news.dfncis.de> > > > >Rose wrote: > > > >> > >> In your opinion, I suppose so... But you're still not answering my > >> question. > >> > >Um...that seems to be a problem. I have absolutely no idea. Why is the world > >full of idiots doing idiotic stuff all the time? You really want to know why? Because the mother knows that no-one is going to confront her. If anyone did, especially if it were a man, she'd just complain to the manager (or whomever) "That stranger is threatening my kid!" and watch as everyone focusses on "protecting" her from the "dangerous" one. In its infinite stupidity, society has given this weapon to any woman venal enough to use it. Until society gets rid of that mentality, toddlers will put their foot-dirt on your bananas. -- Tom Breton at panix.com, username tehom. http://www.panix.com/~tehom

2003-03-03 15:57:18-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Tom Breton <tehom@REMOVEpanNOSPAMix.com>)

> >Subject: Re: OT: My new pet peeve > >From: "Juleen" REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net > >Date: 3/2/2003 3:27 PM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: <b3u417$1pk35q$1@ID-184786.news.dfncis.de> > > > >Rose wrote: > > > >> > >> In your opinion, I suppose so... But you're still not answering my > >> question. > >> > >Um...that seems to be a problem. I have absolutely no idea. Why is the world > >full of idiots doing idiotic stuff all the time? You really want to know why? Because the mother knows that no-one is going to confront her. If anyone did, especially if it were a man, she'd just complain to the manager (or whomever) "That stranger is threatening my kid!" and watch as everyone focusses on "protecting" her from the "dangerous" one. In its infinite stupidity, society has given this weapon to any woman venal enough to use it. Until society gets rid of that mentality, toddlers will put their foot-dirt on your bananas. -- Tom Breton at panix.com, username tehom. http://www.panix.com/~tehom

2003-03-03 20:00:21-05:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@oracle.com>)

Rose wrote: > Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls > around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where lots of > people are walking nearby. Carry a scythe. Catch the ball, say "Thank you," and keep walking. If it hits you, make a huge scene. Scream like crazy. Decorum does not appy in cases of public injury.

2003-03-04 00:33:36+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-04 00:37:02+00:00 - Re: OT: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-04 00:48:38+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On 04 Mar 2003 00:33:36 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: > >All I ask is that if someone says "hey, careful with that," as it swings near >his or her poor old mother's head, you do not glare at, sneer at, or moon that >person. ;) Dangerous children are annoying, but forgivable. They are only children and don't really know better. I have more ire people for who park in file lanes, don't stop for crosswalks, and wave their cigarettes around without regard for people who might get burned by the cherry. The worst part is that it's just about pointless getting angry at a 40 yr old who acts this way - if they haven't learned by that time, beating sense into them won't work either.

2003-03-04 01:02:14+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-04 04:17:29-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

<sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:vh576vch8f3b109g5p4388c9utsq5hu585@4ax.com... > Actually, no. I'm one of those new-age guys women got sick of after a > few weeks in the nineties. I don't like beating on people physically > or verbally, and being around people with whom it is impossible to > reason (like Spike lovers deep in denial) makes my head and guts hurt. > This is why I like to shop with my sister. She likes ripping people > up, and she's good at it. I hold her purse and smile. So... you're gay :) -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done.

2003-03-04 05:57:58+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On 04 Mar 2003 01:02:14 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: > >But doesn't it make you feel better? Actually, no. I'm one of those new-age guys women got sick of after a few weeks in the nineties. I don't like beating on people physically or verbally, and being around people with whom it is impossible to reason (like Spike lovers deep in denial) makes my head and guts hurt. This is why I like to shop with my sister. She likes ripping people up, and she's good at it. I hold her purse and smile.

2003-03-04 10:15:25-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (DarkMagic <slnospambilan@comcast.net>)

"EGK" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:jjf76v0i7nuv6grhnmsm6volpsa4fijluv@4ax.com... > On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:38:47 -0500, "DarkMagic" <slnospambilan@comcast.net> > wrote: > > > > > > >"slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message > >news:v64ivjrcgrah1a@corp.supernews.com... > >> I had the child from hell. I couldn't go anywhere without him making a > >> terrible scene and he was always volatile and violent, fighting and > >hurting > >> other kids. He even tripped a teacher at the daycare one time. > > > >My nephew was expelled from Kindergarten for throwing rocks at the nun. > >Yes, at the nun. > > > >My own dear brother used to hide inside of garbage cans at the curb on his > >way home from school, pop out and throw snowballs *with rocks inside of > >them* at passing cars, and then duck back into the can so no one could see > >who threw it. > > Well, nice to see you only throw bon mots at the Mutant Enemy writing staff > and your fellow posters. Still, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree > does it? You're all bad seeds. :) > I'm the *good* child. So, what does that tell you? Family reunions are scary. Now you can understand why I empathize so much with Ubie. ;) > > ----- Shannon Cordelia: "Angel is only happy when he's fighting evil. Let's drum up a little!" Doyle: "I don't know why we're looking for evil when we got you here." -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-03-04 10:16:30-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (DarkMagic <slnospambilan@comcast.net>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030303193336.03580.00000329@mb-fr.aol.com... > > > >Hmmmm.....my son is only four. We've never seen these swinging rubber balls > >you mention. I'm sure he'll want one as soon as he does. > >I will try and > >keep him away from the elderly, other >small children, and animals, though, > > All I ask is that if someone says "hey, careful with that," as it swings near > his or her poor old mother's head, you do not glare at, sneer at, or moon that > person. ;) > No mooning either? > -- Shannon Cordelia: "Angel is only happy when he's fighting evil. Let's drum up a little!" Doyle: "I don't know why we're looking for evil when we got you here."

2003-03-04 13:08:41-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

Calm _that_ down. It's not _even_ that serious. I'm just going to have to assume you have no sense of humor. -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done. <sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:qi786voq24gefhrbspcftr1c6c3h0263p3@4ax.com... > Actually, no. I realize this is the only joke you have and you hate > mising an opportunity to use it, so I'm not taking it in any way > seriously. If you had thought about your response at all you'd have > taken into account the belligerance and circuitous logic employed by > some here who identify themselves as gay. Obstinancy and malice as > well are not specific to sex or sexual orientation. A gay person can > be just as vicious and stupid as any straight guy, and I met people > when I worked for Corrections who were a lot easier to like than some > daycare moms. There are certainly example like this in your own life, > and you would have to be stunningly stupid not to notice. I think you > probably aren't that stupid, so I'm going to assume that you just > aren't funny.

2003-03-04 13:26:07+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

<sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:9gj66vksaeuoqah0hu72etfpae5quqqd2a@4ax.com... > On 04 Mar 2003 00:33:36 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: > > > > > >All I ask is that if someone says "hey, careful with that," as it swings near > >his or her poor old mother's head, you do not glare at, sneer at, or moon that > >person. ;) > > Dangerous children are annoying, but forgivable. They are only > children and don't really know better. I have more ire people for who > park in file lanes, don't stop for crosswalks, and wave their > cigarettes around without regard for people who might get burned by > the cherry. The worst part is that it's just about pointless getting > angry at a 40 yr old who acts this way - if they haven't learned by > that time, beating sense into them won't work either. Sometimes physical violence works--altho you risk bring a fist and they bringing a knife, you bringing a bat and they bring a spear, you bringing gun and they bringing a tank. -- Ken from Chicago P.S. Besides, some anger is self-destructive. Learn the healing power of ... PITY.

2003-03-04 13:27:51+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030303200214.03580.00000343@mb-fr.aol.com... > >Subject: Re: My new pet peeve > >From: sillyman@famous.com > >Date: 3/3/2003 4:48 PM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: <9gj66vksaeuoqah0hu72etfpae5quqqd2a@4ax.com> > > > > The worst part is that it's just about pointless getting > >angry at a 40 yr old who acts this way - if they haven't learned by > >that time, beating sense into them won't work either. > > > > But doesn't it make you feel better? Ah, pointless rage can be self-destructive. There's another way: PITY. Far less self-destructive while opening a way to empathy and compassion--or at the very least smug superiority. > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew -- Ken from Chicago

2003-03-04 13:38:56+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

<sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:vh576vch8f3b109g5p4388c9utsq5hu585@4ax.com... > On 04 Mar 2003 01:02:14 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: > > > > > >But doesn't it make you feel better? > > Actually, no. I'm one of those new-age guys women got sick of after a > few weeks in the nineties. I don't like beating on people physically > or verbally, and being around people with whom it is impossible to > reason (like Spike lovers deep in denial) makes my head and guts hurt. > This is why I like to shop with my sister. She likes ripping people > up, and she's good at it. I hold her purse and smile. Being a Sensitive Male Of The 90s (and beyond) does not mean one has to be a sap. And recognizing the redemptive potential of Spike is NOT deep denial but brilliant insight (not to mention sensitivity). -- Ken from Chicago P.S. And being sensitive to others makes one extremely gifted in ripping others (even if it's only within one's own mind). Yes, I ... SENSE ... from the fact you have learned to discriminate between kids who don't know any better than adults who should, from the fact that you enjoy being around your sister while she's ripping into those deserve it, that you're NOT the wuss that others may claim you are. There's a inner Ripper inside. That you have the strength of will, the self control, the discipline to keep him in check merely makes you the better person. P.P.S. Carry a duffle bag or backpack and you can hide her purse inside it.

2003-03-04 13:41:09+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote in message news:b41qvj$k30$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net... > <sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message > news:vh576vch8f3b109g5p4388c9utsq5hu585@4ax.com... > > Actually, no. I'm one of those new-age guys women got sick of after a > > few weeks in the nineties. I don't like beating on people physically > > or verbally, and being around people with whom it is impossible to > > reason (like Spike lovers deep in denial) makes my head and guts hurt. > > This is why I like to shop with my sister. She likes ripping people > > up, and she's good at it. I hold her purse and smile. > > > So... you're gay :) No. I believe the British word would be "fop". While not stereotypically macho, still hetero. -- Ken from Chicago P.S. E.G.: Fraiser and Niles Crane would be American examples.

2003-03-04 15:47:37+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:17:29 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: ><sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message >news:vh576vch8f3b109g5p4388c9utsq5hu585@4ax.com... >> Actually, no. I'm one of those new-age guys women got sick of after a >> few weeks in the nineties. I don't like beating on people physically >> or verbally, and being around people with whom it is impossible to >> reason (like Spike lovers deep in denial) makes my head and guts hurt. >> This is why I like to shop with my sister. She likes ripping people >> up, and she's good at it. I hold her purse and smile. > > >So... you're gay :) Actually, no. I realize this is the only joke you have and you hate mising an opportunity to use it, so I'm not taking it in any way seriously. If you had thought about your response at all you'd have taken into account the belligerance and circuitous logic employed by some here who identify themselves as gay. Obstinancy and malice as well are not specific to sex or sexual orientation. A gay person can be just as vicious and stupid as any straight guy, and I met people when I worked for Corrections who were a lot easier to like than some daycare moms. There are certainly example like this in your own life, and you would have to be stunningly stupid not to notice. I think you probably aren't that stupid, so I'm going to assume that you just aren't funny.

[...]

2003-03-04 16:46:12+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:38:56 GMT, "Ken" > >Being a Sensitive Male Of The 90s (and beyond) does not mean one has to be a >sap. And recognizing the redemptive potential of Spike is NOT deep denial >but brilliant insight (not to mention sensitivity). My dictionary defines 'sap' as 'a gullible person, a dupe.' I suppose this is one of those backhanded compliments. Spike has redemptive potential, but so do Clifford Olsen and Vanilla Ice. I'm sticking with deep denial. >P.S. And being sensitive to others makes one extremely gifted in ripping >others (even if it's only within one's own mind). Yes, I ... SENSE ... from >the fact you have learned to discriminate between kids who don't know any >better than adults who should, from the fact that you enjoy being around >your sister while she's ripping into those deserve it, that you're NOT the >wuss that others may claim you are. There's a inner Ripper inside. That you >have the strength of will, the self control, the discipline to keep him in >check merely makes you the better person. If we're going to accede to the propaganda that girls are more sensitive than boys then your theory makes perfect sense. The girls have always been better at (and taken far too much pleasure from) hurting with words. They could hurt with actions too, if they didn't all hit like girls. This reminds me of chipped Spike who could still hurt people with his hands in his pockets. I think I'll start calling him girly-Spike. I hadn't thought of myself having an inner Ripper. If he's in me with that greasy hair and the cigarettes, that would explain the morning breath. I get called an old lady from time to time (I drive the limit in town and signal my lane changes) but I can't remember ever being called a wuss. > >P.P.S. Carry a duffle bag or backpack and you can hide her purse inside it. Actually, I pretty much made the whole thing up. My sister is so busy with her kids (she never puts them on the food conveyor) that we barely get a chance to talk on the phone these last several years. And she never lets go of her purse. A small purse with a long strap and a couple rolls of quarters in it makes an effective weapon.

2003-03-04 16:54:54-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Sean Christian Daugherty <sean.daugherty@oberlin.edu>)

On 04 Mar 2003 17:45:04 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: >Ken wrote: > >>> But doesn't it make you feel better? >> >>Ah, pointless rage can be >self-destructive. There's another way: PITY. > >Doesn't ANYONE know when I am kidding anymore? It's just that you're so... earnest, y'know? We'd jump off a cliff if you told us to. ;-) -- Sean Christian Daugherty <sean.daugherty@oberlin.edu> "I am the silence that is incomprehensible, and the idea whose remembrance is frequent. I am the voice whose sound is manifold, and the word whose appearance is multiple. I am the utterance of my name," - "The Thunder, Perfect Mind"

2003-03-04 16:54:54-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Sean Christian Daugherty <sean.daugherty@oberlin.edu>)

On 04 Mar 2003 17:45:04 GMT, fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) wrote: >Ken wrote: > >>> But doesn't it make you feel better? >> >>Ah, pointless rage can be >self-destructive. There's another way: PITY. > >Doesn't ANYONE know when I am kidding anymore? It's just that you're so... earnest, y'know? We'd jump off a cliff if you told us to. ;-) -- Sean Christian Daugherty <sean.daugherty@oberlin.edu> "I am the silence that is incomprehensible, and the idea whose remembrance is frequent. I am the voice whose sound is manifold, and the word whose appearance is multiple. I am the utterance of my name," - "The Thunder, Perfect Mind"

2003-03-04 17:45:04+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

Ken wrote: >> But doesn't it make you feel better? > >Ah, pointless rage can be >self-destructive. There's another way: PITY. Doesn't ANYONE know when I am kidding anymore? Rose It's not Giles, no, it's not "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew

2003-03-04 19:12:01+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:08:41 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: >Calm _that_ down. It's not _even_ that serious. > >I'm just going to have to assume you have no sense of humor. I'm calm. I understood it was a joke. And yes, I do have a sense of humour. You just didn't say anything funny. Given time I'm sure you'll find something clever to say.

2003-03-04 20:10:44-07:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)

2003-03-04 21:52:50-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

<sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:u7k86vctgirom1b97bpeae2pin2uuc0m6l@4ax.com... > On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:08:41 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: > > >Calm _that_ down. It's not _even_ that serious. > > > >I'm just going to have to assume you have no sense of humor. > > I'm calm. I understood it was a joke. Then why did you take it seriously? I know, too close to the truth, you were offended. "Blah, blah, gay people can be tough, blah, blah" What's with the speech if you knew it was a joke? -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done.

2003-03-04 21:52:50-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

<sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:u7k86vctgirom1b97bpeae2pin2uuc0m6l@4ax.com... > On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:08:41 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: > > >Calm _that_ down. It's not _even_ that serious. > > > >I'm just going to have to assume you have no sense of humor. > > I'm calm. I understood it was a joke. Then why did you take it seriously? I know, too close to the truth, you were offended. "Blah, blah, gay people can be tough, blah, blah" What's with the speech if you knew it was a joke? -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done.

2003-03-05 00:32:41+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

I have a new addition to an old peeve, cheap nasty cover versions of songs being used in commercials. This is a new commercial that butchers Simon and Garfunkels "59th Street Bridge song" in the interest of selling womens trousers for "The Gap". And they must need selling badly because the crap has aired 4 times on two different channels in the last 90 minutes. Damn, make that 5 times: it just started again...

2003-03-05 04:15:50-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

<sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:ss3a6vkc1idcsguh0rl5mh0co0bs0njfm3@4ax.com... > On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:52:50 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: > > > >> I'm calm. I understood it was a joke. > > > >Then why did you take it seriously? I know, too close to the truth, you were > >offended. > > > >"Blah, blah, gay people can be tough, blah, blah" > > > >What's with the speech if you knew it was a joke? > > Well, no actually. To be offended I think I would have to take you > seriously. Which you did. Which is why the speech. > And I'm quite certain I never said "blah". I may have > implied that your jokes were "blah" when I pointed out that you aren't > all that funny. Or, at all, really. The way you completely avoided the question gives me my answer. You're uber-PC. You remind me of my assistant manager. Always taking me seriously when I talk about screwing his mom. The only speech I hear from him though, is his pathetic pleas to not do it in front of the new guys. You have a little more backbone, so you're more fun. Like your mom was more fun than his was last night. (The best ones always end in "last night" ;) -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done.

2003-03-05 08:45:57+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

sillyman@famous.com wrote in message ... >On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:38:56 GMT, "Ken" > >> >>Being a Sensitive Male Of The 90s (and beyond) does not mean one has to be a >>sap. And recognizing the redemptive potential of Spike is NOT deep denial >>but brilliant insight (not to mention sensitivity). > >My dictionary defines 'sap' as 'a gullible person, a dupe.' I suppose >this is one of those backhanded compliments. Spike has redemptive >potential, but so do Clifford Olsen and Vanilla Ice. I'm sticking with >deep denial. > >>P.S. And being sensitive to others makes one extremely gifted in ripping >>others (even if it's only within one's own mind). Yes, I ... SENSE ... from >>the fact you have learned to discriminate between kids who don't know any >>better than adults who should, from the fact that you enjoy being around >>your sister while she's ripping into those deserve it, that you're NOT the >>wuss that others may claim you are. There's a inner Ripper inside. That you >>have the strength of will, the self control, the discipline to keep him in >>check merely makes you the better person. > >If we're going to accede to the propaganda that girls are more >sensitive than boys then your theory makes perfect sense. The girls >have always been better at (and taken far too much pleasure from) >hurting with words. They could hurt with actions too, if they didn't >all hit like girls. This reminds me of chipped Spike who could still >hurt people with his hands in his pockets. I think I'll start calling >him girly-Spike. > >I hadn't thought of myself having an inner Ripper. If he's in me with >that greasy hair and the cigarettes, that would explain the morning >breath. I get called an old lady from time to time (I drive the limit >in town and signal my lane changes) but I can't remember ever being >called a wuss. When you have a car as old as mine driving the limit, or 5-10 miles over if the road is clear, is almost a requirement. But given the senile idiots I share the road with, signalling turns and lane changes is pure self defence. Flashing lights on the roof would help a lot too. A couple of short range ground to ground missiles to get them out of the way when they're doing 15 mph in a 25 zone with 10 miles of one lane, no passing road ahead would be pure bliss.

2003-03-05 08:49:53+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:52:50 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: >> I'm calm. I understood it was a joke. > >Then why did you take it seriously? I know, too close to the truth, you were >offended. > >"Blah, blah, gay people can be tough, blah, blah" > >What's with the speech if you knew it was a joke? Well, no actually. To be offended I think I would have to take you seriously. And I'm quite certain I never said "blah". I may have implied that your jokes were "blah" when I pointed out that you aren't all that funny. Or, at all, really.

2003-03-05 08:59:02-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

You talk too much outlander. Throw down. -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done. <sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:ov5a6vgi92q3ra65qa9ljdneqcu746aorp@4ax.com... > Well, no, actually. Where you think you get this power to read minds > is a mystery to me. I can't stop you from saying 'did too!' every time > I say 'did not', but you have to realize you argue like a two year > old.

2003-03-05 09:05:21-05:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Go-ta Maga-nus <mtm@e.c>)

BTW, I didn't start it, but I continued it after the original guy left. Some traditions must be upheld. Unfortunately, I'm not the worst pottymouth. One guy who came after me is much better at it. Skeet, skeet and all that. And if you have any jokes I can scream out the window at preggos, I'd like to hear them. -- TATU, I am your faithful and willing servant. Thy will be done. <sillyman@famous.com> wrote in message news:ov5a6vgi92q3ra65qa9ljdneqcu746aorp@4ax.com... > You make jokes about screwing somebody's Mom in front of other people? > That's low. I mean, jeez, that is so fucking low. Do you shout out > your car window at pregnant women too? Do you think being a low life

2003-03-05 09:37:13+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (sillyman@famous.com)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 04:15:50 -0500, "Go-ta Maga-nus" <mtm@e.c> wrote: >Which you did. Which is why the speech. >The way you completely avoided the question gives me my answer. You're >uber-PC. You remind me of my assistant manager. Always taking me seriously >when I talk about screwing his mom. The only speech I hear from him though, >is his pathetic pleas to not do it in front of the new guys. You have a >little more backbone, so you're more fun. > >Like your mom was more fun than his was last night. > >(The best ones always end in "last night" ;) Well, no, actually. Where you think you get this power to read minds is a mystery to me. I can't stop you from saying 'did too!' every time I say 'did not', but you have to realize you argue like a two year old. You make jokes about screwing somebody's Mom in front of other people? That's low. I mean, jeez, that is so fucking low. Do you shout out your car window at pregnant women too? Do you think being a low life pottymouth is somehow a heroic stand against creeping PCism? I actually felt a bit bad about what I said the first time but I feel better about it now. No, I don't take you seriously. And you still aren't funny. And, not that there is any way you could have known, my Mom's been dead for years. I'm not mad at you (that, again, would require taking you seriously) but now that you know, please don't disrespect the dead.

2003-03-05 13:14:06+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (pine106887@aol.comnospam)

<< Go-ta Maga-nus" mtm@e.c >> Welcome to my killfile. Sigh. I have NEVER used my killfile so much until this newsgroup. Yet there are still a number of fun and interesting posters here so I'll just do that and keep reading. pine

2003-03-06 01:40:53+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:v64o6rgfg8cu8d@corp.supernews.com... > > > > Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the > popularity > > of the pet rock fad in the 70's. Another was real "lumps of coal". > Perfect > > for the hard to please person on your Christmas list. They all came with > a > > little cardboard box for a bed and an instruction manual for their care. > :) > > Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! Don't forget mood rings. -- Ken from Chicago

2003-03-06 03:10:49+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (stardreamer@mindspring.com)

In article <FGx9a.7159$3g.958722@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>, kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net says... > > >"slapfish" <slapfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:v64o6rgfg8cu8d@corp.supernews.com... >> > >> > Heh, I actually remember pet peeves. They were a take-off on the >> > popularity of the pet rock fad in the 70's. >> >> Don't tell me you are old enough to remember Pet Rocks! > >Don't forget mood rings. Mood rings are BACK! But I think they're using a different liquid-crystal formulation now; the default "in the box" color is green rather than black. They still turn blue when you put them on, though! Celine -- Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat "Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring." -- Diane Duane, _Nightfall at Algemron_

2003-03-06 22:19:45+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Lily Golightly <spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030302121843.22649.00000235@mb-ck.aol.com... > Parents who let their 10 year old sons swing those obnoxious rubber balls > around that are attached to those long rubber cords. In public. Where lots of > people are walking nearby. > > When I'm with my elderly mom, I have to tell these little darlings to stop > swinging those things so they won't hit my mom in the head. (I can duck more > easily than she can.) Does the parent apologize or say "Horace, stop that > right now or I'll take it away from you!" No, the parent glares at me, and > smiles and cuddles little Horace, who grins wickedly, planning his next > rubber-ball swinging move. > > Parents of 10 year old boys, if Junior's rubber ball thing hits my mom in the > head, I hope you guys know some good lawyers who work cheap. > > > > Rose > It's not Giles, no, it's not > "Mine is a redemptive struggle. These ropes itch." -- Andrew I have all manner of peeves with parents not properly supervising or controlling their children in public places. The one that bothers me the most is when they allow children under the age of 10 to run up to roads and cross them on their own, seemingly making no effort to call them back and make them wait until the road is clear. This particularly bothers me when I am driving on said road and am forced to brake in order to avoid hitting the child. Or parents with prams who stand on the pavement themselves but have the pram pushed onto a busy road whilst they wait for a gap in the traffic. 'People,' I think to myself, 'Do you _want_ me to kill your children?' I have to say that this is far from being one of my own priorities.

2003-03-06 23:49:16+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-03-07 00:58:33+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Lily Golightly <spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com>)

"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message news:20030306184916.12283.00000060@mb-cu.aol.com... > >Subject: Re: My new pet peeve > >From: "Lily Golightly" spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com > >Date: 3/6/2003 2:19 PM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: <3e67cfa5$0$5365$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com> > > > > > > >Or parents with prams who stand on the pavement themselves but have the pram > >pushed onto a busy road whilst they wait for a gap in the traffic. > > > > I love it when moms and dads race red and yellow traffic lights while holding > kids by the hand, carrying babies, or pushing strollers. > You 'love' this Rose?!? Seriously though, I can't believe the casual way with which some parents regard the threat of traffic to their offspring. _I_ want to snatch the wee bairns away from the claws of death, it amazes me that their own parents don't. Equally, I sympathise with your complaint about the children with rubber balls attached to bits of string. It's not the fact that they have them, it's the fact that their parents exercise no control over how they use them. Having the parents glare at you for being forced to take control over the situation yourself is just downright taking the piss, in my opinion. Lily Who has never needed to hit a child in order to exercise control

2003-03-07 01:28:02+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (stardreamer@mindspring.com)

In article <3e67eebc$0$3416$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com says... > > >"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message >news:20030306184916.12283.00000060@mb-cu.aol.com... >> >Subject: Re: My new pet peeve >> >From: "Lily Golightly" spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com >> >Date: 3/6/2003 2:19 PM Pacific Standard Time >> >Message-id: <3e67cfa5$0$5365$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com> >> > >> >> > >> >Or parents with prams who stand on the pavement themselves but have the >> >pram pushed onto a busy road whilst they wait for a gap in the traffic. >> > >> >> I love it when moms and dads race red and yellow traffic lights while >> holding kids by the hand, carrying babies, or pushing strollers. >> > >You 'love' this Rose?!? Psst... sarcasm. What those parents are teaching their kids is that it's okay to run the red if you're in a hurry. Let's just hope they (both the parents now, and the kids when they start driving) only kill *themselves* when they cause a wreck. Celine -- Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat "Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring." -- Diane Duane, _Nightfall at Algemron_

2003-03-07 01:57:51+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Lily Golightly <spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com>)

"Lee S. Billings" <stardreamer@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:b48sj2$hnt$2@slb5.atl.mindspring.net... > In article <3e67eebc$0$3416$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, > spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com says... > > > > > >"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message > >news:20030306184916.12283.00000060@mb-cu.aol.com... > >> >Subject: Re: My new pet peeve > >> >From: "Lily Golightly" spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com > >> >Date: 3/6/2003 2:19 PM Pacific Standard Time > >> >Message-id: <3e67cfa5$0$5365$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com> > >> > > >> > >> > > >> >Or parents with prams who stand on the pavement themselves but have the > >> >pram pushed onto a busy road whilst they wait for a gap in the traffic. > >> > > >> > >> I love it when moms and dads race red and yellow traffic lights while > >> holding kids by the hand, carrying babies, or pushing strollers. > >> > > > >You 'love' this Rose?!? > > Psst... sarcasm. > Celine, I may not have made it clear, but I did spot the sarcasm. > What those parents are teaching their kids is that it's okay to run the red if > you're in a hurry. Let's just hope they (both the parents now, and the kids > when they start driving) only kill *themselves* when they cause a wreck. > > Celine The problem is, as I began to explore in a previous post, that the parents - though clearly not the child - appear to expect _me_ to perform, at the very least, some form of maiming upon their offspring. This is not something that I am even remotely comfortable with. Lily Not interested in killing the children of others - however involuntary.

2003-03-08 07:12:28+00:00 - Re: My new pet peeve - (Ken <kwicker_erase_this_part@ameritech.net>)

"Lee S. Billings" <stardreamer@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:b48sj2$hnt$2@slb5.atl.mindspring.net... > In article <3e67eebc$0$3416$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, > spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com says... > > > > > >"Rose" <fylmfan@aol.comspam> wrote in message > >news:20030306184916.12283.00000060@mb-cu.aol.com... > >> >Subject: Re: My new pet peeve > >> >From: "Lily Golightly" spike@spambedamned.dial.pipex.com > >> >Date: 3/6/2003 2:19 PM Pacific Standard Time > >> >Message-id: <3e67cfa5$0$5365$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com> > >> > > >> > >> > > >> >Or parents with prams who stand on the pavement themselves but have the > >> >pram pushed onto a busy road whilst they wait for a gap in the traffic. > >> > > >> > >> I love it when moms and dads race red and yellow traffic lights while > >> holding kids by the hand, carrying babies, or pushing strollers. > >> > > > >You 'love' this Rose?!? > > Psst... sarcasm. > > What those parents are teaching their kids is that it's okay to run the red if > you're in a hurry. Let's just hope they (both the parents now, and the kids > when they start driving) only kill *themselves* when they cause a wreck. > > Celine Lily did detect the sarcasm, but I admit first reading of it seemed like Lily didn't detect it. However by looking at the NEXT statement Lily said in her message thusly: > You 'love' this Rose?!? > > Seriously though, I can't believe the casual way with which some parents > regard the threat of traffic to their offspring. _I_ want to snatch the wee > bairns away from the claws of death, it amazes me that their own parents > don't. Note the use of "Seriously though, ..." as an introductory phrase, with the "seriously" indicating that the paragraph would be Lily being serious and the "though" indicating a change in condiction (similarly she could have used "however" to similar effect, even exchanging the order with "seriously"). Thus Lily is indicating that *previous* to that paragraph her comments were NOT serious, but in fact humorous / sarcastic. -- Ken from Chicago (Grammarian, Esq.)