FLM films - My Webpage

2002-12-19 13:46:31-05:00 - Re: Favor/request - (W Gemini <wgeminiNOSPAM@hotmail.com>)

brian wrote: > I didn't tape the episode. If you did, could you please print Buffy's > closing speech at the very end, word for word? I have a theory I'd like to > float. Thanks. Not sure whether it's exactly word for word, but BuffyWorld has the lame speech in their summary.

2002-12-19 17:44:25+00:00 - Favor/request - (brian <cloud9@aol.com>)

2002-12-20 05:48:44+00:00 - Re: Favor/request - (slatconsulting <ojai@yahoo.com>)

st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote in news:eh850v0nq6c5q0soh8lsd72ogqra5f02uu@4ax.com: > On 20 Dec 2002 00:55:58 GMT, brian <could9@aol.com> wrote: > >>> Buffy: We're not ready? <em>They're</em> not ready! They think >>> we're going to wait for the end to come, like we always do. I'm done >>> waiting. They want an apocalypse? Oh, we'll give 'em one. Anyone >>> else who wants to run...do it now, 'cause we just became an army. We >>> just declared war. From now on, we won't just face our worst fears. >>> We will seek them out. We will find them and cut out their hearts >>> one by one until the First shows itself for what it really is. And >>> I'll kill it myself. There is only one thing on this earth more >>> powerful than evil, and that's us. >>> >>> Buffy: Any questions? >> >>Thanks to the person who posted this. My question/theory is this: >>couldn't this passage be interpreted as a veiled metaphor for the >>current war on terrorism? I know Whedon wouldn't use the show to shove >>his personal politics or naked patriotism down our throats, but if you >>substitute "Al Qaida" for "they/they're" in the passage above, you'd >>swear the speech was delivered by President Bush or say Rumsfeld at >>the Pentagon. Bin Laden? The First Evil. Terrorists? His global >>minions of evil. I open the floor for discussion. > > I think Joss would be annoyed by your comparison. I don't see him as > being all the republican. The only "annoyance" is assuming that the war on terror is a Republican issue. Wake up.

2002-12-20 06:30:44+00:00 - Re: Favor/request - (Matt <nospam@nospam.com>)

2002-12-21 02:08:46-08:00 - Re: Favor/request - (wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com)

brian <could9@aol.com> wrote in message news:<Xns92E9CAF2D5B35ojai67yahoocom@130.133.1.4>... > > Buffy: We're not ready? <em>They're</em> not ready! They think we're > > going to wait for the end to come, like we always do. I'm done > > waiting. They want an apocalypse? Oh, we'll give 'em one. Anyone else > > who wants to run...do it now, 'cause we just became an army. We just > > declared war. From now on, we won't just face our worst fears. We will > > seek them out. We will find them and cut out their hearts one by one > > until the First shows itself for what it really is. And I'll kill it > > myself. There is only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, > > and that's us. > > > > Buffy: Any questions? > > Thanks to the person who posted this. My question/theory is this: couldn't > this passage be interpreted as a veiled metaphor for the current war on > terrorism? I know Whedon wouldn't use the show to shove his personal > politics or naked patriotism down our throats, but if you substitute "Al > Qaida" for "they/they're" in the passage above, you'd swear the speech was > delivered by President Bush or say Rumsfeld at the Pentagon. Bin Laden? The > First Evil. Terrorists? His global minions of evil. I open the floor for > discussion. If you change "cut out their hearts" into "scrub them with a dish mop" and "First" into "harmful bacteria" and "evil" into "dirt", then the whole passage is revealed as what it really is: a veiled metaphor for Buffy's kitchen, full of dirty dishes and surfaces that need wiping. And she's insistent that the SITs will help out, instead of just sitting around eating "biscuits" and getting killed all day.

2002-12-21 03:06:55+00:00 - Re: Favor/request - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2002-12-21 03:06:55+00:00 - Re: Favor/request - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)