FLM films - My Webpage

2003-02-26 08:42:24+00:00 - George A., you were right ... - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

Well, George Avalos, it looks like you were right all this time. Recently, in light of the series ending and all that, I have set about the task of ranking all the BtVS episodes. I am giving them grades (A+ to F). I was one of the people who argued that S2 was superior to S3. Now, to be fair to myself, I always said that anyone who thought S3 was better had just as a good a claim. But, to my surprise, after my preliminary rankings of all episodes (at least S1, S2, S3, and S6) I found that by my own estimation, S3 came out slightly ahead of S2. S3 had more A's than B's, and S2 the opposite. Actually, S1 had twice as many A's as B's, but I have always been a S1 freak anyways. I have to finish the whole task, and then go back and tweak to make sure all the grades are close to correct. But, so far, I have managed to surprise myself. Heh. So far, S1 has an overall grade of A-, S2 B+, S3 A, and S6 D- (those three F's in a row, Wrecked, Gone, and Doublemeat Palace did not help the grade at all). Anyhow, you were right, I was wrong, and I didn't even know it until now. -- A.E. Jabbour "IN the second century of the Christian era, the Empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and the most civilised portion of mankind." Edward Gibbon, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"

2003-02-26 19:35:02+00:00 - Re: George A., you were right ... - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, aej17DELETEME@comcast.net wrote in article <b3hulg$1mici5$1@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de>... > Well, George Avalos, it looks like you were right all this time. > > Recently, in light of the series ending and all that, I have set about > the task of ranking all the BtVS episodes. I am giving them grades > (A+ to F). > > I was one of the people who argued that S2 was superior to S3. Now, > to be fair to myself, I always said that anyone who thought S3 was > better had just as a good a claim. But, to my surprise, after my > preliminary rankings of all episodes (at least S1, S2, S3, and S6) > I found that by my own estimation, S3 came out slightly ahead of > S2. S3 had more A's than B's, and S2 the opposite. > > Actually, S1 had twice as many A's as B's, but I have always been > a S1 freak anyways. > > I have to finish the whole task, and then go back and tweak to make > sure all the grades are close to correct. But, so far, I have managed > to surprise myself. Heh. > > So far, S1 has an overall grade of A-, S2 B+, S3 A, and S6 D- (those > three F's in a row, Wrecked, Gone, and Doublemeat Palace did not help > the grade at all). > > Anyhow, you were right, I was wrong, and I didn't even know it > until now. > > The problem (I have) with grading the array of episodes is maintaining a standard of measure. It has been a long, long time since I indulged in a series grading exercise but I recall that a narrow measure (use whole numbers between one and five) is less subject to drift than a broad measure (go one to ten, or, worse, use fractions). I used to despise the notion of thumbs-up and thumbs-down, but that may be the most fair rating: it is either something that <em>everyone</em> should invest time watching or not. And so guilty or personal pleasures fall into the thumbs-down category. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger

2003-02-28 19:14:08-08:00 - Re: George A., you were right ... - (gavalos@cctimes.com)

AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<b3hulg$1mici5$1@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de>... > Well, George Avalos, it looks like you were right all this time. Once in a newsgroup is all you can ask for on Usenet! :) > Recently, in light of the series ending and all that, I have set about > the task of ranking all the BtVS episodes. I am giving them grades > (A+ to F). > > I was one of the people who argued that S2 was superior to S3. Now, > to be fair to myself, I always said that anyone who thought S3 was > better had just as a good a claim. But, to my surprise, after my > preliminary rankings of all episodes (at least S1, S2, S3, and S6) > I found that by my own estimation, S3 came out slightly ahead of > S2. S3 had more A's than B's, and S2 the opposite. > > Actually, S1 had twice as many A's as B's, but I have always been > a S1 freak anyways. > > I have to finish the whole task, and then go back and tweak to make > sure all the grades are close to correct. But, so far, I have managed > to surprise myself. Heh. > > So far, S1 has an overall grade of A-, S2 B+, S3 A, and S6 D- (those > three F's in a row, Wrecked, Gone, and Doublemeat Palace did not help > the grade at all). > > Anyhow, you were right, I was wrong, and I didn't even know it > until now. Bottom line: We both very much liked, to varying degrees, the first three seasons. There seems to be little disagreement in the newsgroup about those three, anyway. And when you think of every TV show you've seen three years of ggenerally lock-step consensus ain't all that bad. In these days of a quick hook for TV shows, maybe that's all you can ask for any more. Just ask the 'Farscape,' 'Dark Angel' and 'X-Files' fans if they thought those shows ended too soon ... ... or too late, in one case. -George

2003-03-01 08:24:31+00:00 - Re: George A., you were right ... - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

George Avalos <gavalos@cctimes.com> wrote: > AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<b3hulg$1mici5$1@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de>... >> Well, George Avalos, it looks like you were right all this time. > > Once in a newsgroup is all you can ask for on Usenet! :) > Yep. [snip] >> So far, S1 has an overall grade of A-, S2 B+, S3 A, and S6 D- (those >> three F's in a row, Wrecked, Gone, and Doublemeat Palace did not help >> the grade at all). >> >> Anyhow, you were right, I was wrong, and I didn't even know it >> until now. > > Bottom line: We both very much liked, to varying degrees, the first > three seasons. There seems to be little disagreement in the newsgroup > about those three, anyway. And when you think of every TV show you've > seen three years of ggenerally lock-step consensus ain't all that bad. > In these days of a quick hook for TV shows, maybe that's all you can > ask for any more. > > Just ask the 'Farscape,' 'Dark Angel' and 'X-Files' fans if they > thought those shows ended too soon ... > > ... or too late, in one case. > > -George Hey, I was a big fan of X-FILES for a long time. Believe me, when I say that I understand the pain of a series going on too long. And here I am again. Oh well. But, yes, we both very much liked the first three seasons. And I will tell you, since I have them on DVD now, that I have so much enjoyed watching those episodes again, seeing every little thing. They were lustrous. And ANGEL S1 was too. I can't wait for S2. Anyhow, it's been fun. George, even when I have disagreed with you, you have been a great asset to this newsgroup. I hope you understand that. Thank you, again. -- A.E. Jabbour "IN the second century of the Christian era, the Empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and the most civilised portion of mankind." Edward Gibbon, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"

2003-03-01 08:28:38+00:00 - Re: George A., you were right ... - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, gavalos@cctimes.com wrote in article <da6729e4.0302281914.157b2d15@posting.google.com>... > AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<b3hulg$1mici5$1@ID-137314.news.dfncis.de>... > > Well, George Avalos, it looks like you were right all this time. > > Once in a newsgroup is all you can ask for on Usenet! :) > > > Recently, in light of the series ending and all that, I have set about > > the task of ranking all the BtVS episodes. I am giving them grades > > (A+ to F). > > > > I was one of the people who argued that S2 was superior to S3. Now, > > to be fair to myself, I always said that anyone who thought S3 was > > better had just as a good a claim. But, to my surprise, after my > > preliminary rankings of all episodes (at least S1, S2, S3, and S6) > > I found that by my own estimation, S3 came out slightly ahead of > > S2. S3 had more A's than B's, and S2 the opposite. > > > > Actually, S1 had twice as many A's as B's, but I have always been > > a S1 freak anyways. > > > > I have to finish the whole task, and then go back and tweak to make > > sure all the grades are close to correct. But, so far, I have managed > > to surprise myself. Heh. > > > > So far, S1 has an overall grade of A-, S2 B+, S3 A, and S6 D- (those > > three F's in a row, Wrecked, Gone, and Doublemeat Palace did not help > > the grade at all). > > > > Anyhow, you were right, I was wrong, and I didn't even know it > > until now. > > Bottom line: We both very much liked, to varying degrees, the first > three seasons. There seems to be little disagreement in the newsgroup > about those three, anyway. And when you think of every TV show you've > seen three years of ggenerally lock-step consensus ain't all that bad. > In these days of a quick hook for TV shows, maybe that's all you can > ask for any more. > > Just ask the 'Farscape,' 'Dark Angel' and 'X-Files' fans if they > thought those shows ended too soon ... > > ... or too late, in one case. > > -George > You know, George, I used to accept the stand-alone episodes of The X- Files as filler whilst eagerly awaiting the next arc episode. By the end it was the opposite. I thought some of the late stand-alone episodes were very good. And I liked Robert Patrick and enjoyed his character, too. As far as I am concerned, Mr Patrick got a raw deal from the so-called fans of the show. So to get back on-topic, more or less, if Eliza Dushku is not the star of a spin-off, that is probably a good thing for all concerned. As good and as popular as she is, Faith will always be compared to Buffy. And constant comparison to predecessor is never a good thing. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger