FLM films - My Webpage

2003-05-21 02:15:06+00:00 - Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (Dave Menard <menard5078NO@SPAMrogers.com>)

Spoiler Space Okay, so Spike got a noble end, and went out with a smile (and a bang). Hopefully, all those rumours about his appearances on Angel next season are deliberate falsehoods spread by Joss to keep spoiler-happy fans guessing. Why do I want Spikey to stay dead? I don't bear him any ill will, matter of fact, he's always been my fave. But his death has real meaning and pathos only so long as he stays dead. Anything else would cheapen his sacrifice. (And yes, I thought the same about Buffy's ressurrection). Thouts? Rebuttals? Dave "Dawn's in trouble? Oh. Must be Tuesday..." -Buffy

2003-05-21 02:39:50+00:00 - Re: Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (AE Jabbour <aej17DELETEME@comcast.net>)

Dave Menard <menard5078NO@spamrogers.com> wrote: > Spoiler Space > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Okay, so Spike got a noble end, and went out with a smile (and a bang). > Hopefully, all those rumours about his appearances on Angel next season are > deliberate falsehoods spread by Joss to keep spoiler-happy fans guessing. I wish that were true, but it isn't. He will be on "Angel" next season. > Why do I want Spikey to stay dead? I don't bear him any ill will, matter of > fact, he's always been my fave. But his death has real meaning and pathos > only so long as he stays dead. Anything else would cheapen his sacrifice. > (And yes, I thought the same about Buffy's ressurrection). Thouts? > Rebuttals? I have despised Spike for a long time, and felt that his character was a prime force in the decline of the show over the past few seasons. However, tonight was the first time in a long time (ok, maybe second or third time) that I actually enjoyed seeing him on screen. You are completely correct that bringing him back will only cheapen the rather poignant close to his story. I think Spike finally got a good ending, and it was actually one of the best parts of the finale. Actually, come to think of it, he could come back as a ghost, I suppose. But a regular character as a ghost? Who knows, but I think even that would detract from the heroic, redemptive moment he had. -- A.E. Jabbour "Oh! I know this one: Slaying entails certain sacrifices ... blah blah bitty blah, I'm so stuffy, give me a scone." Buffy, "Inca Mummy Girl"

2003-05-21 03:18:19+01:00 - Re: Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (The Gun-Runners <guns@gun-runners.com>)

He's coming to Angel. FACT. "Dave Menard" <menard5078NO@SPAMrogers.com> wrote in message news:KiBya.252621$kYH.165510@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > Spoiler Space > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Okay, so Spike got a noble end, and went out with a smile (and a bang). > Hopefully, all those rumours about his appearances on Angel next season are > deliberate falsehoods spread by Joss to keep spoiler-happy fans guessing. > > Why do I want Spikey to stay dead? I don't bear him any ill will, matter of > fact, he's always been my fave. But his death has real meaning and pathos > only so long as he stays dead. Anything else would cheapen his sacrifice. > (And yes, I thought the same about Buffy's ressurrection). Thouts? > Rebuttals? > > Dave > > "Dawn's in trouble? Oh. Must be Tuesday..." > -Buffy > >

2003-05-21 07:43:35+00:00 - Re: Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-05-21 08:13:30+00:00 - Re: Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, guns@gun-runners.com wrote in article <zpBya.21792$9C6.1138990@wards.force9.net>... > "Dave Menard" <menard5078NO@SPAMrogers.com> wrote in message > news:KiBya.252621$kYH.165510@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > > Spoiler Space > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Okay, so Spike got a noble end, and went out with a smile (and a bang). > > Hopefully, all those rumours about his appearances on Angel next season > are > > deliberate falsehoods spread by Joss to keep spoiler-happy fans guessing. > > > > Why do I want Spikey to stay dead? I don't bear him any ill will, matter > of > > fact, he's always been my fave. But his death has real meaning and pathos > > only so long as he stays dead. Anything else would cheapen his sacrifice. > > (And yes, I thought the same about Buffy's ressurrection). Thouts? > > Rebuttals? > > > > Dave > > > > "Dawn's in trouble? Oh. Must be Tuesday..." > > -Buffy > > > > > He's coming to Angel. FACT. > Fact: James Marsters is coming to Angel. Everyone assumes that it will be Spike. I would expect Mr Marsters to play Spike, too, but who knows what route the producers will take for Angel next season. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger

2003-05-21 08:46:59-07:00 - Re: Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (spam_list@yahoo.com)

Panic <vitiate69@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns938239F0A785iluvu4it@137.192.100.18>... > > Okay, so Spike got a noble end, and went out with a smile (and a > > bang). Hopefully, all those rumours about his appearances on Angel > > next season are deliberate falsehoods spread by Joss to keep > > spoiler-happy fans guessing. > > > > Why do I want Spikey to stay dead? I don't bear him any ill will, > > matter of fact, he's always been my fave. But his death has real > > meaning and pathos only so long as he stays dead. Anything else would > > cheapen his sacrifice. (And yes, I thought the same about Buffy's > > ressurrection). Thouts? > > I agree 100%. I think it's all-too-similar to Buffy's death. I'm sick of > Joss setting up these big sacrifices to create ratings, and then bringing > the characters back to sustain them. Spike should stay dead. I pray that > he doesn't appear in a single episode of Angel, even though it's already > fact that he will. He should definitely stay dead. Beloved characters given a good death almost always portend a decline in story quality if they are resurrected in a series. I won't get into season 6 with Buffy's return since that's been debated already. I'll just mention some other series which weren't the same after a main character came back from apparent death: 1)Sherlock Holmes-Given one of the best(noble, brave, very sad) deaths ever in literature. Subsequent stories upon his return were less than what came before. 2)Star Trek and Spock after "Wrath of Khan". I guess "Voyage Home" was OK, but I didn't care for the rest of the series, including the "Next Generation" films. It also established a bad precedent which continues to haunt Star Trek-Negating death or undesirable outcomes with contrivances like time travel or techno nonsense. 3)Alien 4: Although I like this one(and interestingly, Joss wrote it), a lot of people did not so I'll use it as another example. Some of course, say Alien 3 was already problematic. 4)Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. Actually, the series had already begun losing it's credibility by Part IV: Jason Lives.

2003-05-21 10:41:43+00:00 - Re: Let him stay dead! (Spoilers for Finale) - (Panic <vitiate69@hotmail.com>)