FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-10 13:05:12-08:00 - When was the telepathy acquired? - (reilly850@earthlink.net)

Fazhoul asked this in another thread, gripes about season 7. I want to give him credit for publicly bringing it up. I think it deserves its own thread and answer. When DID the Scoobies acquire the ability to communicate telepathically? It surprised me. Thanks. Christine

2003-01-10 15:07:16-07:00 - Re: When was the telepathy acquired? - (William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu>)

"Daryl Barnett" <atthesea@attbi.com> wrote: >"Christine Reilly" <reilly850@earthlink.net> wrote in message >news:dbacd703.0301101305.6db57c08@posting.google.com... >> Fazhoul asked this in another thread, gripes about season 7. I want >> to give him credit for publicly bringing it up. I think it deserves >> its own thread and answer. When DID the Scoobies acquire the ability >> to communicate telepathically? It surprised me. Thanks. Christine > >Well, it seems pretty obvious that the need to use it is what awoke the >ability. I doubt that it was ever used prior to our seeing it Tuesday >night. Willow first used telepathy ( to talk to Spike) in The Gift in season 5. She used it to coordinate the scoobies in fighting vampires in Bargaining (first episode of season 6) and used it to talk to Anya and Buffy at different points in Grave (last episode of season 6). She told Dawn in Two to Go (next to the last episode of season 6) "just think at me real hard, and I'll hear you". Buffy initiating the conversation was new (although see the above comment to Dawn), but I figure that Willow just had set it up for Buffy to be able to call to her mentally, because of the First. I suspect that Buffy, Willow, and Xander have been having doing all of their real planning telepathically since shortly after Conversations With Dead People. They're assuming that the First has the potential to listen in on any of their out-loud conversations. In any case, it's Willow that's providing the telepathy, and it has precedent on the show. -- "Oh Buffy, you really do need to have every square inch of your ass kicked." - Willow Rosenberg

2003-01-10 16:27:29-08:00 - Re: When was the telepathy acquired? - (Paul Farrington <paul@eastshore.com>)

William George Ferguson wrote: > > "Daryl Barnett" <atthesea@attbi.com> wrote: > >"Christine Reilly" <reilly850@earthlink.net> wrote in message > >news:dbacd703.0301101305.6db57c08@posting.google.com... > >> Fazhoul asked this in another thread, gripes about season 7. I want > >> to give him credit for publicly bringing it up. I think it deserves > >> its own thread and answer. When DID the Scoobies acquire the ability > >> to communicate telepathically? It surprised me. Thanks. Christine > > > >Well, it seems pretty obvious that the need to use it is what awoke the > >ability. I doubt that it was ever used prior to our seeing it Tuesday > >night. > > Willow first used telepathy ( to talk to Spike) in The Gift in season > 5. She used it to coordinate the scoobies in fighting vampires in > Bargaining (first episode of season 6) and used it to talk to Anya and > Buffy at different points in Grave (last episode of season 6). She > told Dawn in Two to Go (next to the last episode of season 6) "just > think at me real hard, and I'll hear you". > > Buffy initiating the conversation was new (although see the above > comment to Dawn), but I figure that Willow just had set it up for > Buffy to be able to call to her mentally, because of the First. I > suspect that Buffy, Willow, and Xander have been having doing all of > their real planning telepathically since shortly after Conversations > With Dead People. They're assuming that the First has the potential > to listen in on any of their out-loud conversations. > > In any case, it's Willow that's providing the telepathy, and it has > precedent on the show. > > -- > "Oh Buffy, you really do need to have > every square inch of your ass kicked." > - Willow Rosenberg Another thing that seems new is the "three-way calling" effect. Xander apparently can hear everything Buffy says to Willow. This seems like a bit of a stretch. I agree that it's Willow's doing. I suppose in addition to acting as transmitter/receiver, she can also be a relay? It's a nice trump card to be holding, and I was surprised and pleased to see it played. But then, I was cheering by the end of the ep anyway. - Paul

2003-01-10 21:14:25+00:00 - Re: When was the telepathy acquired? - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <dbacd703.0301101305.6db57c08@posting.google.com>, reilly850@earthlink.net (Christine Reilly) wrote: > When DID the Scoobies acquire the ability > to communicate telepathically? It surprised me. See "The Gift" (season 5) and "Bargaining, part I" (season 6). The only new aspect is someone other than Willow initiating the conversation. It's even still making Xander jumpy. <g> -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2003-01-10 21:23:43+00:00 - Re: When was the telepathy acquired? - (Daryl Barnett <atthesea@attbi.com>)

[...]

2003-01-10 21:28:19+00:00 - Re: When was the telepathy acquired? - (Jane Davitt <jdavitt01@rogers.com>)

Christine Reilly wrote: > Fazhoul asked this in another thread, gripes about season 7. I want > to give him credit for publicly bringing it up. I think it deserves > its own thread and answer. When DID the Scoobies acquire the ability > to communicate telepathically? It surprised me. Thanks. Christine It's been brought up in as many as four or five threads devoted to this question since Monday. And it's been answered exhaustively. End of S5, The Gift, first of Season 6, Bargaining. And in that one Willow said that all the Scoobs had to do was think at her and she could hear them. It's not new, it's just not used much. As far as we know. Maybe there's telepathic conversations going on all over the place. If so, I'm betting one was between Xander and Willow when Buffy was ranting on about killing Anya and they were both less than enthused. Jane -- My Buffy the Vampire Slayer fiction is archived at http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=231516 and http://dotcreative.envy.nu/archive/al.html