FLM films - My Webpage

2003-02-26 01:22:07-05:00 - Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com>)

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the newsgroup so split before. It seems like half the newsgroup is giving it a 3.5 or higher, and the other half is rating it at 1 or below. Has the newsgroup ever been so divided over one episode? FWIW, I gave it a 4. Arnold Kim

2003-02-26 06:53:19+00:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-02-26 09:23:03+00:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (Daryl Barnett <atthesea@attbi.com>)

"Arnold Kim" <kim5@erols.com> wrote in message news:b3hmei$h79$1@bob.news.rcn.net... > Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the newsgroup so split before. It seems > like half the newsgroup is giving it a 3.5 or higher, and the other half is > rating it at 1 or below. Has the newsgroup ever been so divided over one > episode? > > FWIW, I gave it a 4. > > Arnold Kim > > >SPOILERS WARNING SPACE > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I rate it 4.5 as an exceptional treatment that exposes many hidden secrets, yearnings, longings, itchings for the whole Buffy "party". It was a hilarious episode although at one point I thought I had seen "enough" of Andrew, but it still held together. And I am an Andrew liker. There was excellent action and fighting (Buffy's gymnastic slaying in the cemetery, the fighting with possessed students by Wood, Spike, and Buffy on the beautifully desecrated ruins of the high school). Wasn't it cool to see Willow and Kennedy going at it so casually on the sofa. Seems like Willow is already more physically comfortable with Kennedy than she was with Tara. I could say more but my back is aching. Really enjoyed it though. Daryl Barnett

2003-02-26 10:58:38-05:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (EGK <me@privacy.net>)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:22:07 -0500, "Arnold Kim" <kim5@erols.com> wrote: >Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the newsgroup so split before. It seems >like half the newsgroup is giving it a 3.5 or higher, and the other half is >rating it at 1 or below. Has the newsgroup ever been so divided over one >episode? > >FWIW, I gave it a 4. I gave it a 3.6 and the highest i've ever graded an episode is 4.5. I always believe in leaving leeway for something better. I think I got that from watching women's olympic gymnastics. When they gave Nadia Comaneci 10's in Olympic competition, they had nowhere to go with anyone else who came after. More then other episodes, Storyteller and Superstar and even The Zeppo depend on how much you like the secondary characters when they're the focus. I think that's why people are split so much. I liked The Zeppo because i like Xander. I thought Storyteller was pretty good because Andrew is funny and the episode entertained me. I didn't care as much for a whole episode of Jonathan so Superstar didn't do much for me. The best parts of that were the opening credits then it went downhill from there. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes) email: egk-nospam-@hotmail.com

[...]

2003-02-26 15:34:10+00:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction [attn George A.] - (John DiFool <jdifool@earthlink.net>)

Arnold Kim wrote: > Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the newsgroup so split before. It seems > like half the newsgroup is giving it a 3.5 or higher, and the other half is > rating it at 1 or below. Has the newsgroup ever been so divided over one > episode? > > FWIW, I gave it a 4. > > Arnold Kim George, could you calculate standard deviation? That would be interesting (and not just for us math-heads ;-)... John DiFool -- ============================================ Reach heaven far too high ============================================

2003-02-26 15:45:53-05:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (Tom Breton <tehom@REMOVEpanNOSPAMix.com>)

fylmfan@aol.comspam (Rose) writes: > >Subject: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction > >From: "Arnold Kim" kim5@erols.com > >Date: 2/25/2003 10:22 PM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: <b3hmei$h79$1@bob.news.rcn.net> > > > >Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the newsgroup so split before. It seems > >like half the newsgroup is giving it a 3.5 or higher, and the other half is > >rating it at 1 or below. Has the newsgroup ever been so divided over one > >episode? > > > > Yes. Superstar was controversial. And Superstar had much in common with Storyteller. Both are by the estimable Jane Espenson. Both focus on minor nerd characters and their longings in an ultimately sympathetic way. Both have a generous dollop of humor, often at the expense of the main characters or the storyline. "The Zeppo" also has some of these characteristics, and was even more controversial. FWIW, I loved both Superstar and Storyteller, and liked Zeppo. -- Tom Breton at panix.com, username tehom. http://www.panix.com/~tehom

2003-02-26 19:24:22+00:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, me@privacy.net wrote in article <fkop5vo4kleu88f77uthhvl54sd3nmo4u7@4ax.com>... > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:22:07 -0500, "Arnold Kim" <kim5@erols.com> wrote: > > >Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the newsgroup so split before. It seems > >like half the newsgroup is giving it a 3.5 or higher, and the other half is > >rating it at 1 or below. Has the newsgroup ever been so divided over one > >episode? > > > >FWIW, I gave it a 4. > > I gave it a 3.6 and the highest i've ever graded an episode is 4.5. I > always believe in leaving leeway for something better. I think I got that > from watching women's olympic gymnastics. When they gave Nadia Comaneci > 10's in Olympic competition, they had nowhere to go with anyone else who > came after. > > More then other episodes, Storyteller and Superstar and even The Zeppo > depend on how much you like the secondary characters when they're the focus. > I think that's why people are split so much. I liked The Zeppo because i > like Xander. I thought Storyteller was pretty good because Andrew is funny > and the episode entertained me. I didn't care as much for a whole episode > of Jonathan so Superstar didn't do much for me. The best parts of that were > the opening credits then it went downhill from there. > "Superstar" did have a wonderful moment where Adam sees through the confusion and offers some fascinating insights into the nature or magicks and illusion. And Jonathan's observation on the need to work at a relationship at the end of the episode was well said. But I digress... I do not get hung up on having no place to go if I award a high score. In fact, I have forced the point for myself since I do not use fractions. For me a 5 is something that was as memorable as it was exceptional. And a 4 is an exceptional outing. A 3 is a passing score and a 2 indicated I wish I had passed by the episode. And a 1 would be some episode that was not only bad but something I wish I could forget. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger

2003-02-26 20:49:42-07:00 - Re: Storyteller- 5 star poll reaction - (slapfish <slapfish@yahoo.com>)