FLM films - My Webpage

2002-12-19 06:22:51-05:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Eeyore48 <eeyore48@baerana.com>)

Aethelrede wrote: > Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? > Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" > at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's possible > that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but she was > something different, and got killed after no known active service except two > trips to Sunnydale. I was under the impression that there were always "slayers in training" and that it was a fluke that Buffy wasn't "pre-trained". This is the impression I got from the movie and from the comic book (which was supposed to be Joss's vision of the movie) I thought it was established that girls w/ "slayer potential" were taken young (as soon as they were found) given to watchers and trained. I haven't seen the pilot in a long time, so I don't know if this was brought up there. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't mentioned in any other eps. So, if you don't consider the movie canon, they I guess we were never "told" about SITs before. But most Buffy websites I've been to mention that Buffy is different from other slayers, one way being no early training, and IIRC the "Buffy Watcher" guides also say the same thing. Again, though, I guess those aren't "canon" - still, I thought it was basically something "everyone knew" > You tell these girls to train and give up their > social lives so they can compete for the chance to die within a few months > of going into action and it's good? What's fair about the CoW, being a slayer, TBTP, or life in general?

[...]

2002-12-19 09:48:35+00:00 - What SITs? - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but she was something different, and got killed after no known active service except two trips to Sunnydale. Giles and the COW never mention pre-calling slayer training. We know there's a handbook, which Kendra learned by heart, but the thing has always been that "There is one" who is chosen and sort of switched on at need, and then trained by a watcher. The idea of having lots of cute teens (And they are all super-cute so far) with slayer potential being trained so that the best one can be promoted to active status when the previous slayer gets killed is more practical, but not so nice. You tell these girls to train and give up their social lives so they can compete for the chance to die within a few months of going into action and it's good? Maybe the method we've seen, with some stranger showing up and saying "Hey, you may have noticed you have amazing strength and speed, and you don't get hurt much when people punch you a lot, well, you are the chosen one..." is better. OTOH, I liked the three "SITs", and I think it's a nasty precedent that one of them didn't last half an ep before getting killed out. I like the one who wants to share a bed with Willow best.

2002-12-19 10:32:41-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Well, in the TV series, it came specifically from What's My Line? when Kendra was introduced. > Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" > at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. There's a good chance that Faith wasn't found early enough to train her before she became Little Miss Hell-Raiser. She may or may not have been trained before being called. > It's possible > that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but she was > something different, and got killed after no known active service except two > trips to Sunnydale. Kendra told Buffy about being sent to a Watcher at a very early age to be trained. She didn't even remember her family. > Giles and the COW never mention pre-calling slayer training. We know > there's a handbook, which Kendra learned by heart, but the thing has always > been that "There is one" who is chosen and sort of switched on at need, and > then trained by a watcher. > The idea of having lots of cute teens (And they are all super-cute so > far) with slayer potential being trained so that the best one can be > promoted to active status when the previous slayer gets killed is more > practical, but not so nice. Actually, it has nothing to do with who's the best or even if they are trained. The Watchers have no control over it. > You tell these girls to train and give up their > social lives so they can compete for the chance to die within a few months > of going into action and it's good? Well, since most of them would be trained from when they were very young they probably had no idea about the potential future they would be giving up. Again, I point you to the Kendra example. > Maybe the method we've seen, with some stranger showing up and saying > "Hey, you may have noticed you have amazing strength and speed, and you > don't get hurt much when people punch you a lot, well, you are the chosen > one..." is better. And that is not what usually happens according to Giles and the Watchers. What you need to do is rewatch the What's My Line two-parter and the whole series in general. Anyone who has seen the show since the beginning- or seen all the episodes of the first and second seasons- and can't remember anything being said about potential Slayers being trained is either completely brain-dead or has an extremely short memory. Smaug69

2002-12-19 18:44:32+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Dan Solomon <dansolo@attbi.com>)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in news:TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: > Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? > Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got > "called" > at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's > possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but > she was something different, and got killed after no known active > service except two trips to Sunnydale. Kendra had active service outside of Sunnydale.

2002-12-20 09:24:35+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

a_gentleman wrote in message ... >On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:48:35 GMT, "Aethelrede" ><aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > >> Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? >> Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" >>at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's possible >>that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but she was >>something different, and got killed after no known active service except two >>trips to Sunnydale. >> Giles and the COW never mention pre-calling slayer training. We know >>there's a handbook, which Kendra learned by heart, but the thing has always >>been that "There is one" who is chosen and sort of switched on at need, and >>then trained by a watcher. >> The idea of having lots of cute teens (And they are all super-cute so >>far) with slayer potential being trained so that the best one can be >>promoted to active status when the previous slayer gets killed is more >>practical, but not so nice. You tell these girls to train and give up their >>social lives so they can compete for the chance to die within a few months >>of going into action and it's good? >> Maybe the method we've seen, with some stranger showing up and saying >>"Hey, you may have noticed you have amazing strength and speed, and you >>don't get hurt much when people punch you a lot, well, you are the chosen >>one..." is better. >> >> OTOH, I liked the three "SITs", and I think it's a nasty precedent that >>one of them didn't last half an ep before getting killed out. I like the >>one who wants to share a bed with Willow best. > >We've seen the concept of SIT's before in "WML pt. >2": > >KENDRA >My parents, dey sent me to my Watcher when I was >very young. > >BUFFY >How young? > >KENDRA >I don�t remember dem, actually. I�ve seen >pictures. But dat�s >how seriously de calling is taken by my people. My >modder and >fadder gave me to my Watcher because dey believed >dat dey were >doing de right ting for me and for de world. (off >Buffy�s look) >Please, I don�t feel sorry for meself. Why should >you? I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, that utterly fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only shirt!" I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or the Tally-man song. It's difficult to take the character seriously.

2002-12-20 09:32:00+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Dan Solomon wrote in message ... >"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in >news:TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: > >> Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? >> Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got >> "called" >> at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's >> possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but >> she was something different, and got killed after no known active >> service except two trips to Sunnydale. > >Kendra had active service outside of Sunnydale. > >From Becoming: > >Kendra: In case de curse does not succeed, dis is my lucky stake. I >have killed many vampires wit it. I call it Mr. Pointy. Which is the name Buffy used in a theoretical sense for one of her stakes too. Kendra is just too much a stereotype to be take seriously, which is a pity because I liked the actress a lot. Kendra may be the third world slayer type: bought from her family while young and trained for calling when one of the real slayers gets offed unexpectedly, used way off in the primitive countries and then sent into the Hellmouth when things get seriously bad to get killed in place of the Caucasian Slayer.

2003-01-07 00:42:06-05:00 - Re: What SITs? - (David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com>)

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:32:00 -0500, Aethelrede wrote: > Dan Solomon wrote in message ... >>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in >>news:TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: >> >>> Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Up to >>> the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" >>> at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's >>> possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but >>> she was something different, and got killed after no known active >>> service except two trips to Sunnydale. >> >>Kendra had active service outside of Sunnydale. >> >>From Becoming: >> >>Kendra: In case de curse does not succeed, dis is my lucky stake. I >>have killed many vampires wit it. I call it Mr. Pointy. > > Which is the name Buffy used in a theoretical sense for one of her > stakes too. The implication is that it is, in fact, the same stake, that Buffy at some point in time picked it up the library floor. -- David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com> NOYFB, P

2003-01-07 05:55:10-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com> wrote in message news:<eu5qexil1.ln2@mnemosyne.fake.dom>... > On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:32:00 -0500, Aethelrede wrote: > > > > Dan Solomon wrote in message ... > >>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in > >>news:TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: > >> > >>> Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Up to > >>> the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" > >>> at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's > >>> possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but > >>> she was something different, and got killed after no known active > >>> service except two trips to Sunnydale. > >> > >>Kendra had active service outside of Sunnydale. > >> > >>From Becoming: > >> > >>Kendra: In case de curse does not succeed, dis is my lucky stake. I > >>have killed many vampires wit it. I call it Mr. Pointy. > > > > Which is the name Buffy used in a theoretical sense for one of her > > stakes too. > > The implication is that it is, in fact, the same stake, that Buffy at > some point in time picked it up the library floor. She didn't need to pick it up the library floor, Kendra lent it to her right before she died.

2003-01-07 07:41:15-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) A more proper moniker would be potential Slayers or would-be Slayers. And we don't even know if all of the potential Slayers are going to become Slayers. > Up to the last ep but one there was no such thing: Yes, there was. Watch the "What's My Line?" two-parter from Season 2 where we meet Kendra. Smaug69

2003-01-07 10:19:47-05:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Dawn <avs@qis.net>)

David Cheatham wrote: > On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:32:00 -0500, Aethelrede wrote: > > > Dan Solomon wrote in message ... > >>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in > >>news:TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: > >> > >>> Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Up to > >>> the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" > >>> at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's > >>> possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but > >>> she was something different, and got killed after no known active > >>> service except two trips to Sunnydale. > >> > >>Kendra had active service outside of Sunnydale. > >> > >>From Becoming: > >> > >>Kendra: In case de curse does not succeed, dis is my lucky stake. I > >>have killed many vampires wit it. I call it Mr. Pointy. > > > > Which is the name Buffy used in a theoretical sense for one of her > > stakes too. > > The implication is that it is, in fact, the same stake, that Buffy at > some point in time picked it up the library floor. Maybe I saw that wrong. I always thought that Kendra GAVE Mr. Pointy to Buffy, not that Buffy just picked it up. The whole "lucky stake" speech was her explaining why it was important to her. And Buffy decided to buy her a stuffed animal if they survived, cuz, hello? Stake as your most precious gift to someone?? Sad life. That's just how I remembered it...that Kendra gave Pointy to Buffy. Damn, now I've got to go watch reruns again... Dawn =)

2003-01-07 12:49:16-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (czrisher@yahoo.com)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<ksBM9.70650$hK4.5832375@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... <sniP> > Kendra may be the third world slayer type: bought from her family while > young and trained for calling when one of the real slayers gets offed > unexpectedly, used way off in the primitive countries and then sent into the > Hellmouth when things get seriously bad to get killed in place of the > Caucasian Slayer. One rather hopes that there is meant to be irony or sarcasm here.... (One wishes he had more to say than that, but the line and thinking struck rather hard.)

2003-01-07 12:53:42-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (czrisher@yahoo.com)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<nlBM9.70637$hK4.5830600@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... <snip> > I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, that utterly > fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only shirt!" > I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or the > Tally-man song. > It's difficult to take the character seriously. I've never been talented at differentiating good accents from poor ones, but I never found the character in the least patronising. Indeed, the realization or acceptance that the Slayer needn't be White and that the US isn't the only place to find Blacks who speak English seemed positive to me. Though she _had_ to be weaker than Buffy to preserve the nature of the show, Kendra struck me as a strong character (writing) and person (w/i the Buffyverse). That she was replaced with a White girl who stuck around for a while needn't be a mark against that, especially as Faith turns out to be a weaker person. Re. the shirt line: if that _was_ her only clothing, i.e., if she were poor, the fact that she always dressed as well as she did and had neither shame nor obsequiousness as a result seems another positive.

2003-01-07 12:56:39-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (czrisher@yahoo.com)

smaug86@yahoo.com (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<5fe774aa.0301070741.5a2231a7@posting.google.com>... <snip> > A more proper moniker would be potential Slayers or would-be Slayers. > > And we don't even know if all of the potential Slayers are going to > become Slayers. See, the idea, while it provides plot-lines, troubles me because it makes life too easy for the CoW. If there is no way to know who the next Slayer will be, as the idea appeared until Kendra's introduction and as some of us, apparently, liked to believe even afterward, more sense is made. Ok, I just realized that, ironically enough, didn't come out making any sense. I guess my point is simply that I don't like the idea, conveyed by the existence of so-called SiTs, that anyone can predict with any degree of accuracy who will be called by the PTB; seems to give too much credit to humanity or too little to the PTB.

2003-01-07 14:30:27-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com>)

Smaug69 wrote: > "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > >>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? > > > Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped > on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the > only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train > as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) > "X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' No one hearing that title would ever think the person was actually a doctor yet. Nor does the 'in-training' moniker imply that the person ever will be what they are training for, just that they are on the path. You have to be a 'X' before you train to be an 'X'? perhaps in your little language bubble. Out here, in English, that makes no sense. D�sir�e - spouse-in-training

[...]

2003-01-07 22:59:13+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (sillyman@famous.com)

I've been to English. The burgers suck but the salad is good. > >You have to be a 'X' before you train to be an 'X'? perhaps in your >little language bubble. Out here, in English, that makes no sense. > >D���sir���e - spouse-in-training >

2003-01-08 00:04:46+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Dawn wrote in message <3E1AF013.A69D7989@qis.net>... >David Cheatham wrote: > >> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:32:00 -0500, Aethelrede wrote: >> >> > Dan Solomon wrote in message ... >> >>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in >> >>news:TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: >> >> >> >>> Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? Up to >> >>> the last ep but one there was no such thing: Buffy got "called" >> >>> at 15 with no training. Faith never talked about training. It's >> >>> possible that Kendra was trained before Buffy's death called her, but >> >>> she was something different, and got killed after no known active >> >>> service except two trips to Sunnydale. >> >> >> >>Kendra had active service outside of Sunnydale. >> >> >> >>From Becoming: >> >> >> >>Kendra: In case de curse does not succeed, dis is my lucky stake. I >> >>have killed many vampires wit it. I call it Mr. Pointy. >> > >> > Which is the name Buffy used in a theoretical sense for one of her >> > stakes too. >> >> The implication is that it is, in fact, the same stake, that Buffy at >> some point in time picked it up the library floor. > >Maybe I saw that wrong. I always thought that Kendra GAVE Mr. Pointy to >Buffy, not that Buffy just picked it up. The whole "lucky stake" speech was >her explaining why it was important to her. And Buffy decided to buy her a >stuffed animal if they survived, cuz, hello? Stake as your most precious gift >to someone?? Sad life. That's just how I remembered it...that Kendra gave >Pointy to Buffy. Damn, now I've got to go watch reruns again... I thought Buffy made a reference to "Mr Pointy" in a much earlier ep, something like how she'd be retired and telling people about her favourite stake. We don't know if this is the same stake that she dropped in ep 1 season 1 that Zander picked up and returned.

2003-01-08 00:35:02-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <yWJS9.100303$hK4.8138380@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > Dawn wrote in message <3E1AF013.A69D7989@qis.net>... > >Maybe I saw that wrong. I always thought that Kendra GAVE Mr. > >Pointy to Buffy, not that Buffy just picked it up. The whole "lucky > >stake" speech was her explaining why it was important to her. And > >Buffy decided to buy her a stuffed animal if they survived, cuz, > >hello? Stake as your most precious gift to someone?? Sad life. > >That's just how I remembered it...that Kendra gave Pointy to Buffy. > >Damn, now I've got to go watch reruns again... > > I thought Buffy made a reference to "Mr Pointy" in a much earlier > ep, something like how she'd be retired and telling people about her > favourite stake. That was in season 3, _Helpless_ > We don't know if this is the same stake that she > dropped in ep 1 season 1 that Zander picked up and returned. Kendra gave Buffy Mr. Pointy in season 2, _Becoming_ -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-08 02:56:45+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-08 02:56:45+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-08 11:40:38-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - ("Rev. Cyohtee - O'k�home Ehohatse" <cyohtee@barbarian.org>)

Out of the ether Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com> rose up and issued forth: >From somewhere over there Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> >mumbled incoherently: > >>Smaug69 wrote: >>> "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >>> >>>>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? >>> >>> >>> Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped >>> on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the >>> only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train >>> as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) >>> >>"X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to >>become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' > >I have never heard that used before. Besides, they are going to be >doctors eventually,eh? We do not know if all potential Slayers will >become Slayers. > >> No one >>hearing that title would ever think the person was actually a doctor >>yet. Nor does the 'in-training' moniker imply that the person ever >>will be what they are training for, just that they are on the path. >> >>You have to be a 'X' before you train to be an 'X'? perhaps in your >>little language bubble. Out here, in English, that makes no sense. >> >>D�sir�e - spouse-in-training > >You missed man-at-arms analogy. M-A-A is someone who is trained for >battle and is armed. > >Also, Giles called them potential Slayers in Bring on the Night. Actually, I like the term they used in Showtime, "Slayers In Waiting", much like "Ladies In Waiting". (and to anyone who thinks this is a spoiler, you are deranged) -- Cyo cyohtee@ucan.foad.org http://www.barbarian.org/~cyohtee http://www.barbarian.org "That's the truth. Can you handle it?" - Jerry McGuire

2003-01-08 18:20:11-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com>)

Smaug69 wrote: > From somewhere over there Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> > mumbled incoherently: > > >>Smaug69 wrote: >> >>>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >>>>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? >>>Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped >>>on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the >>>only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train >>>as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) >>"X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to >>become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' > I have never heard that used before. Besides, they are going to be > doctors eventually,eh? We do not know if all potential Slayers will > become Slayers. I didn't say it was a real phrase, just that's how it would work. And not all med students become doctors, nor is it required that any actually do, same as a SiT > You missed man-at-arms analogy. M-A-A is someone who is trained for > battle and is armed. and how is "at arms" anything like "in training"? I really don't see the connection. You seem to be confusing "Slayer-in-Training" with "Slayer, in training" the first is a title the second is a title with a preopsition attached indicating a *current* activity. Buffy is a "Slayer, in training" when she goes to the basement to train. Other times she is a "Slayer in hiding" or a "Slayer in bed" The young women there are always "Slayers-in-Training" regardless of whatever specific activity they are doing. D�sir�e at arms

2003-01-08 18:22:53-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com>)

Dante wrote: >>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message >>news:<nlBM9.70637$hK4.5830600@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >><snip> >> >>> I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, that >>> utterly >>>fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only >>>shirt!" >>> I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or the >>>Tally-man song. >>> It's difficult to take the character seriously. >> > From what i've read, it was an utterly real non-West-Indian accent...ie, it > was a real accent from some small island community, that people decided was > fake just because it wasn't familiar to them. > > dante accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an actual accent. D�sir�e - ja man

2003-01-08 20:56:17+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Dante <dante@geeklife.com>)

2003-01-08 21:41:44-05:00 - Re: What SITs? - (David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com>)

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:22:53 -0500, Desiree Davis wrote: > Dante wrote: >>>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message >>>news:<nlBM9.70637$hK4.5830600@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >>><snip> >>> >>>> I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, that >>>> utterly >>>>fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only >>>>shirt!" >>>> I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or the >>>>Tally-man song. >>>> It's difficult to take the character seriously. >>> >> From what i've read, it was an utterly real non-West-Indian >> accent...ie, it was a real accent from some small island community, >> that people decided was fake just because it wasn't familiar to them. >> >> dante > > accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress worked > with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related accent. It > doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an actual > accent. It's Jamican-Irish, IIRC. -- David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com> NOYFB, P

2003-01-08 23:08:47-07:00 - Re: What SITs? - (William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com>)

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:41:44 -0500, David Cheatham <david@creeknet.com> wrote: >On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:22:53 -0500, Desiree Davis wrote: > >> Dante wrote: >>>>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message >>>>news:<nlBM9.70637$hK4.5830600@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >>>><snip> >>>> >>>>> I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, that >>>>> utterly >>>>>fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only >>>>>shirt!" >>>>> I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or the >>>>>Tally-man song. >>>>> It's difficult to take the character seriously. >>>> >>> From what i've read, it was an utterly real non-West-Indian >>> accent...ie, it was a real accent from some small island community, >>> that people decided was fake just because it wasn't familiar to them. >>> >>> dante >> >> accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress worked >> with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related accent. It >> doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an actual >> accent. > >It's Jamican-Irish, IIRC. National Geographic did a 'volcano' special a few years ago, and a fair portion of it focused on the eruption on Montserrat in the Carribean. The inhabitants of the southern part of the island (which is mostly covered with ash flows at the moment) all sounded just like Kendra. -- I think it's entirely possible that we might try to fool people hell bent on spoiling our season. We're deceptive people. We promote sex and violence and the occult. Frankly, we're just not good seeds. -- Drew Goddard (Bronze Beta 8/28/2002)

2003-01-09 02:02:47+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (quester@infi.net)

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:40:38 -0600, Rev. Cyohtee - O'k���home Ehohatse <cyohtee@barbarian.org> wrote: >Out of the ether Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com> rose up and >issued forth: > >>From somewhere over there Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> >>mumbled incoherently: >> >>>Smaug69 wrote: >>>> "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >>>> >>>>>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? >>>> >>>> >>>> Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped >>>> on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the >>>> only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train >>>> as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) >>>> >>>"X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to >>>become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' >> >>I have never heard that used before. Besides, they are going to be >>doctors eventually,eh? We do not know if all potential Slayers will >>become Slayers. >> >>> No one >>>hearing that title would ever think the person was actually a doctor >>>yet. Nor does the 'in-training' moniker imply that the person ever >>>will be what they are training for, just that they are on the path. >>> >>>You have to be a 'X' before you train to be an 'X'? perhaps in your >>>little language bubble. Out here, in English, that makes no sense. >>> >>>D���sir���e - spouse-in-training >> >>You missed man-at-arms analogy. M-A-A is someone who is trained for >>battle and is armed. >> >>Also, Giles called them potential Slayers in Bring on the Night. > >Actually, I like the term they used in Showtime, "Slayers In Waiting", >much like "Ladies In Waiting". (and to anyone who thinks this is a >spoiler, you are deranged) The episode itself used Slayers-in-Waiting, but the promo for the show (shown just before the show starts) used Slayers-in-Training. Interesting mixture.

2003-01-09 02:33:02-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (LTraylor@ix.netcom.com)

Rev. Cyohtee - O'k home Ehohatse <cyohtee@barbarian.org> wrote in message news:<hfoo1v85rq9r5e48raooojls4hut1g0rjm@4ax.com>... > > Actually, I like the term they used in Showtime, "Slayers In Waiting", > much like "Ladies In Waiting". (and to anyone who thinks this is a > spoiler, you are deranged) Did anyone else here read "Pretty Maids All in a Row" -- great book about Spike and Dru killing off the potential guys, maybe around the Civil War era, IIRC? I *think* they were called "Slayers in Waiting" in that book (which was great, BTW), but I can't check 'cause we're packing to move and all my books are in boxes. Not that the book would be canon or anything, but I believe the premise of it was based on hints from the movie that most potentials were trained and that Buffy had just slipped through the cracks. But in the book, like we've seen this season, there were girls all over the world that the CoW had pegged as potentials and who were being trained to be called, and were being picked off in an attempt to end the line. Laney

2003-01-09 02:39:31-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <3e1cd602.10154921@news.infinet.mindspring.com>, Harold Groot <quester@infi.net> wrote: > On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:40:38 -0600, Rev. Cyohtee - O'k�home Ehohatse > <cyohtee@barbarian.org> wrote: > > >Out of the ether Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com> rose up and > >issued forth: > > > >>From somewhere over there Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> > >>mumbled incoherently: > >> > >>>Smaug69 wrote: > >>>> "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message > >>>> news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > >>>> > >>>>>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped > >>>> on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the > >>>> only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train > >>>> as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) > >>>> > >>>"X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to > >>>become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' > >> > >>I have never heard that used before. Besides, they are going to be > >>doctors eventually,eh? We do not know if all potential Slayers will > >>become Slayers. > >> > >>> No one > >>>hearing that title would ever think the person was actually a doctor > >>>yet. Nor does the 'in-training' moniker imply that the person ever > >>>will be what they are training for, just that they are on the path. > >>> > >>>You have to be a 'X' before you train to be an 'X'? perhaps in your > >>>little language bubble. Out here, in English, that makes no sense. > >>> > >>>D�sir�e - spouse-in-training > >> > >>You missed man-at-arms analogy. M-A-A is someone who is trained for > >>battle and is armed. > >> > >>Also, Giles called them potential Slayers in Bring on the Night. > > > >Actually, I like the term they used in Showtime, "Slayers In Waiting", > >much like "Ladies In Waiting". (and to anyone who thinks this is a > >spoiler, you are deranged) > > The episode itself used Slayers-in-Waiting, but the promo for the show > (shown just before the show starts) used Slayers-in-Training. > Interesting mixture. At various times people have refered to these girls as: Potential Slayers Slayers-in-Training Potential Guys Slayers-in-Waiting Slayer Wannabes There are lots of different names for these girls. I'm sure it won't be long before someone works their way around to Slayerettes. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-09 02:48:10-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com>)

In article <080120032324289280%dsample@synapse.net>, dsample@synapse.net says... > In article <3e1cd602.10154921@news.infinet.mindspring.com>, Harold > Groot <quester@infi.net> wrote: > > > On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:40:38 -0600, Rev. Cyohtee - O'k���home Ehohatse > > <cyohtee@barbarian.org> wrote: > > > > >Out of the ether Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com> rose up and > > >issued forth: > > > > > >>From somewhere over there Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> > > >>mumbled incoherently: > > >> > > >>>Smaug69 wrote: > > >>>> "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message > > >>>> news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > > >>>> > > >>>>>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? > > >>>> > > >>>> > > >>>> Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped > > >>>> on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the > > >>>> only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train > > >>>> as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) > > >>>> > > >>>"X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to > > >>>become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' > > >> > > >>I have never heard that used before. Besides, they are going to be > > >>doctors eventually,eh? We do not know if all potential Slayers will > > >>become Slayers. > > >> > > >>> No one > > >>>hearing that title would ever think the person was actually a doctor > > >>>yet. Nor does the 'in-training' moniker imply that the person ever > > >>>will be what they are training for, just that they are on the path. > > >>> > > >>>You have to be a 'X' before you train to be an 'X'? perhaps in your > > >>>little language bubble. Out here, in English, that makes no sense. > > >>> > > >>>D���sir���e - spouse-in-training > > >> > > >>You missed man-at-arms analogy. M-A-A is someone who is trained for > > >>battle and is armed. > > >> > > >>Also, Giles called them potential Slayers in Bring on the Night. > > > > > >Actually, I like the term they used in Showtime, "Slayers In Waiting", > > >much like "Ladies In Waiting". (and to anyone who thinks this is a > > >spoiler, you are deranged) > > > > The episode itself used Slayers-in-Waiting, but the promo for the show > > (shown just before the show starts) used Slayers-in-Training. > > Interesting mixture. > > At various times people have refered to these girls as: > > Potential Slayers > Slayers-in-Training > Potential Guys > Slayers-in-Waiting > Slayer Wannabes > > There are lots of different names for these girls. I'm sure it won't > be long before someone works their way around to Slayerettes. > > Like calling the spinoff "Dawn and the Slayerettes"? Uh oh. I just remembered a rumor that Dawn will have a "gang" and they'll be called the Scrappies. Gulp. Are these the Scrappies?!

2003-01-09 06:45:05-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3E1CDC5B.2060207@nospam.yahoo.com>... > Smaug69 wrote: > > From somewhere over there Desiree Davis <hbeachbabe@nospam.yahoo.com> > > mumbled incoherently: > > > > > >>Smaug69 wrote: > >> > >>>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<TBgM9.68799$hK4.5718198@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > > >>>>Where did the concept of "Slayers in Training" come from? > > >>>Actually, that's a misnomer that some people around here have jumped > >>>on. Buffy and Faith are the only Slayers and therefore they can be the > >>>only Slayers-in-training. You have to be a Slayer before you can train > >>>as one.(Similar to man-at-arms) > > >>"X-in-training" doesn't mean the person is 'X' but is in training to > >>become X. A person in med school is a 'Doctor in training' > > > I have never heard that used before. Besides, they are going to be > > doctors eventually,eh? We do not know if all potential Slayers will > > become Slayers. > > I didn't say it was a real phrase, just that's how it would work. And > not all med students become doctors, nor is it required that any > actually do, same as a SiT Giles used "potential Slayer." That's good enough for me. > > You missed man-at-arms analogy. M-A-A is someone who is trained for > > battle and is armed. > > and how is "at arms" anything like "in training"? I really don't see > the connection. Man-at-arms. Slayer-in-training. You don't see a connection? Smaug69

2003-01-09 06:49:58-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (smaug86@yahoo.com)

Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote in message news:<080120032324289280%dsample@synapse.net>... <snip> > At various times people have refered to these girls as: > > Potential Slayers This is the one Giles used and it works for me. > Slayers-in-Training Has this actually been uttered on the show? And if so, who said it? We know that a couple of them weren't training and Rona didn't have a Watcher or even know she was a potential Slayer before she was attacked so this description isn't actually accurate for all of them. > Potential Guys > Slayers-in-Waiting > Slayer Wannabes > > There are lots of different names for these girls. I'm sure it won't > be long before someone works their way around to Slayerettes. To which Willow will reply, "But Xander and I are the Slayerettes!" Smaug69

2003-01-09 09:12:50+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

David Cheatham wrote in message <844vex0vt.ln2@mnemosyne.fake.dom>... >On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:22:53 -0500, Desiree Davis wrote: > >> Dante wrote: >>>>"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message >>>>news:<nlBM9.70637$hK4.5830600@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... >>>><snip> >>>> >>>>> I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, that >>>>> utterly >>>>>fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only >>>>>shirt!" >>>>> I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or the >>>>>Tally-man song. >>>>> It's difficult to take the character seriously. >>>> >>> From what i've read, it was an utterly real non-West-Indian >>> accent...ie, it was a real accent from some small island community, >>> that people decided was fake just because it wasn't familiar to them. >>> >>> dante >> >> accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress worked >> with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related accent. It >> doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an actual >> accent. Not really, just some fake accent that got a language tutor a bunch of cash. >It's Jamican-Irish, IIRC. Now that is just hilarious. When I was in high school I worked in a major London Emporium (I use the word with great care), which employed Irish and West Indians (mostly Jamaicans) in pretty much equal numbers, and the accent Kendra used was neither real West Indian nor in any way Irish. It was "Carry me Ackie, go Linstead market" Faux Caribbean: People may want to argue, but the years I spent talking to people from the various West Indian Islands, not to mention Ireland, makes me pretty determined to ignore them. I even worked for the Irish Government for a while, with a bunch of real Irish citizens, so I think I know an Irish accent from a West Indian accent.

2003-01-09 09:26:47+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <080120032324289280%dsample@synapse.net>, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > There are lots of different names for these girls. I'm sure it won't > be long before someone works their way around to Slayerettes. Which would be a grave injustice to Willow and Xander, who already lay claim to that title. (Plus they've earned it. Each has done their fair share of slaying, and--notably--without all the whining either.) -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2003-01-09 09:26:47+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <080120032324289280%dsample@synapse.net>, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > There are lots of different names for these girls. I'm sure it won't > be long before someone works their way around to Slayerettes. Which would be a grave injustice to Willow and Xander, who already lay claim to that title. (Plus they've earned it. Each has done their fair share of slaying, and--notably--without all the whining either.) -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2003-01-09 10:15:47+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Harold Groot wrote: > > The episode itself used Slayers-in-Waiting, but the promo for the show > (shown just before the show starts) used Slayers-in-Training. > Interesting mixture. That amused me, but only 'cause I've been calling them "slayers-in-waiting" for a month or so now. :) -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-09 10:15:47+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Harold Groot wrote: > > The episode itself used Slayers-in-Waiting, but the promo for the show > (shown just before the show starts) used Slayers-in-Training. > Interesting mixture. That amused me, but only 'cause I've been calling them "slayers-in-waiting" for a month or so now. :) -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-09 10:19:09+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Desiree Davis wrote: > > > From what i've read, it was an utterly real non-West-Indian accent...ie, it > > was a real accent from some small island community, that people decided was > > fake just because it wasn't familiar to them. > > > > dante > > accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress > worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related > accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an > actual accent. People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur that they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really *are*. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-09 10:19:09-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <5fe774aa.0301090649.41ed081@posting.google.com>, Smaug69 <smaug86@yahoo.com> wrote: > Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote in message > news:<080120032324289280%dsample@synapse.net>... > > <snip> > > > At various times people have refered to these girls as: > > > > Potential Slayers > > This is the one Giles used and it works for me. > > > Slayers-in-Training > > Has this actually been uttered on the show? And if so, who said it? Yep, by Giles in _Bring on the Night_ Buffy: The First: that's what it wants? Giles: Yes, to erase all the Slayers-in-Training and their Watchers, along with their methods. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-09 10:25:05-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <avjosn$gg0fg$1@ID-138064.news.dfncis.de>, Speaker-to-Customers <greebo@manx.net> wrote: > Aethelrede wrote: > > David Cheatham wrote... > >> Desiree Davis wrote: > >> > >>> Dante wrote: > >>>>> "Aethelrede" wrote ... <snip> > >>>>> > >>>>>> I find the whole PTB attitude to Kendra rather patronising, > >>>>>> that utterly > >>>>>> fake West Indian accent: "Dat me favourite shirt... Dat me only > >>>>>> shirt!" > >>>>>> I kept expecting her to start in singing "Ol' Man Ribber" or > >>>>>> the Tally-man song. > >>>>>> It's difficult to take the character seriously. > >>>>> > >>>> From what i've read, it was an utterly real non-West-Indian > >>>> accent...ie, it was a real accent from some small island community, > >>>> that people decided was fake just because it wasn't familiar to > >>>> them. > >>>> > >>>> dante > >>> > >>> accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress > >>> worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related > >>> accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is > >>> an actual accent. > > > > Not really, just some fake accent that got a language tutor a > > bunch of cash. > > > >> It's Jamican-Irish, IIRC. > > > > Now that is just hilarious. > > When I was in high school I worked in a major London Emporium (I > > use the word with great care), which employed Irish and West Indians > > (mostly Jamaicans) in pretty much equal numbers, and the accent > > Kendra used was neither real West Indian nor in any way Irish. It > > was "Carry me Ackie, go Linstead market" Faux Caribbean: > > People may want to argue, but the years I spent talking to people > > from the various West Indian Islands, not to mention Ireland, makes > > me pretty determined to ignore them. > > I even worked for the Irish Government for a while, with a bunch > > of real Irish citizens, so I think I know an Irish accent from a West > > Indian accent. > > But were any of them from Montserrat? > > Several years ago I ran a role-playing game scenario set on Montserrat. I > did a lot of research on the background, including watching every travel > programme about it that I could find on TV or video. One of the non-player > characters in the game ended up having a major recurring role, so I > continued to take a close interest in Montserrat. > > Then the volcano blew up. I continued to take a very close interest, > devoured every documentary about it on TV, wrote letters of protest about > Clare Short's "Golden Elephants" speech, etc. > > As I live on a small island which is also a British Crown Protectorate, very > similar in many ways to Montserrat except for being in the Irish Sea instead > of the Caribbean and for not having a volcano, everyone else here was also > taking a close interest in Montserrat too. > > When we hosted the Island Games last year there were competitors from > Montserrat here, and they were interviewed about the volcano etc. on our > local radio station. I listened to the interviews. > > And all of them, on the documentaries, travelogues, & radio interviews, > sounded just like Kendra. > > Paul Speaker-to-Customers Now assuming that there has been no collusion between Speaker to Customers and William George Ferguson we have two people who have independantly identified Kendra's accent as Montserrattian. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-09 10:27:12-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <3E1D4D68.EEF0FCC0@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > Desiree Davis wrote: > > > > accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress > > worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related > > accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an > > actual accent. > > People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur that > they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really *are*. I'm reminded of all the people who were complaining about Faith's "fake Boston accent" back in season 3, when Eliza Dushku is from Boston, and was just using her normal accent. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-09 12:11:53+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Speaker-to-Customers <greebo@manx.net>)

2003-01-09 16:40:33-07:00 - Re: What SITs? - (William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu>)

On 9 Jan 2003 10:27:12 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >In article <3E1D4D68.EEF0FCC0@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > >> Desiree Davis wrote: >> > >> > accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress >> > worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related >> > accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an >> > actual accent. >> >> People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur that >> they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really *are*. > >I'm reminded of all the people who were complaining about Faith's "fake >Boston accent" back in season 3, when Eliza Dushku is from Boston, and >was just using her normal accent. Or Doyle's 'fake Irish accent' (Glen Quinn was born and raised in Dublin, moving to the U.S. when he was 18). -- "Oh Buffy, you really do need to have every square inch of your ass kicked." - Willow Rosenberg

2003-01-09 17:58:52+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Ron Jarrell <jarrell@babylon5.cc.vt.edu>)

Conrad Z. Risher <czrisher@yahoo.com> wrote: > smaug86@yahoo.com (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<5fe774aa.0301070741.5a2231a7@posting.google.com>... > <snip> >> A more proper moniker would be potential Slayers or would-be Slayers. >> >> And we don't even know if all of the potential Slayers are going to >> become Slayers. > See, the idea, while it provides plot-lines, troubles me because it > makes life too easy for the CoW. If there is no way to know who the > next Slayer will be, as the idea appeared until Kendra's introduction > and as some of us, apparently, liked to believe even afterward, more > sense is made. Ok, I just realized that, ironically enough, didn't > come out making any sense. I guess my point is simply that I don't > like the idea, conveyed by the existence of so-called SiTs, that > anyone can predict with any degree of accuracy who will be called by > the PTB; seems to give too much credit to humanity or too little to > the PTB. Well, Buffy is a perfect example of that... The council completely missed her (proving, from day one, how fallible they are) until *after* she got called. Some girls just have the obvious signature about them that let the council see that they were in the line (although they might go their entire lives and never be called), and in some girls it's very subtle, yet they're still just as likely to be called. Rhona appears to be one of the latter - it looks like no one realized she was of the line until the harbingers started trying to kill her. I'm thinking the coven is scrying as much for the evil, and seeing who it's targetting, as it is the girls, because if it was one of the easy ones to identify, they'd have a watcher by now.

2003-01-10 03:36:41+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-10 03:36:41+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-10 10:27:56-08:00 - Re: What SITs? - (czrisher@yahoo.com)

Ron Jarrell <jarrell@babylon5.cc.vt.edu> wrote in message news:<avkd8s$pin$1@solaris.cc.vt.edu>... <snip> > of the line until the harbingers started trying to kill her. I'm > thinking the coven is scrying as much for the evil, and seeing who it's > targetting, as it is the girls, because if it was one of the easy ones > to identify, they'd have a watcher by now. A touch, a touch, I do confess. (Though I would prefer complete unpredictability, I cannot dispute the logic here.) (Though I have the sense that this predictability has been posited to be more usual than this would allow....)

2003-01-10 10:41:10+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Don Sample wrote: > > In article <3E1D4D68.EEF0FCC0@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks > <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > > > People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur that > > they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really *are*. > > I'm reminded of all the people who were complaining about Faith's "fake > Boston accent" back in season 3, when Eliza Dushku is from Boston, and > was just using her normal accent. That's actually what I was thinking of when I made my (perhaps a bit too provocative) post. I mean, not the actual S3 complaints, but the rehash a couple years ago. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

[...]

2003-01-10 10:42:09+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

salmoneous wrote: > > > People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur that > > they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really *are*. > > Keep in mind that most accents on TV aren't meant to be realistic. The > point is to sound understandable but recognizable as being from where > your character is from. True. I don't expect the accents to be realistic or not, but I think complaining about it is sort of like complaining about how you walked in the rain without an umbrella and got wet. > Having worked with a number of Jamaicans over the years, I assure you > that their normal speaking voice can require a lot of concentration to > understand (for that matter, the same goes for many Irish.) -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-11 21:56:08+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (tmcd@panix.com)

In article <1o1s1vcle3e10qugsie81t3rflkkc4n482@4ax.com>, William George Ferguson <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu> wrote: >On 9 Jan 2003 10:27:12 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > >>In article <3E1D4D68.EEF0FCC0@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks >><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: >> >>> Desiree Davis wrote: >>> > >>> > accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the >>> > actress worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic >>> > Jamican-related accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are >>> > used to, but it is an actual accent. >>> >>> People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur >>> that they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really >>> *are*. >> >>I'm reminded of all the people who were complaining about Faith's >>"fake Boston accent" back in season 3, when Eliza Dushku is from >>Boston, and was just using her normal accent. > >Or Doyle's 'fake Irish accent' (Glen Quinn was born and raised in >Dublin, moving to the U.S. when he was 18). Someone complained about the fake, stage-Eastern European accent of Susanna Luchenki, a character at the end of Babylon 5's fourth season. Beata Pozniak was from Poland and lived there quite some time (though she also lived in England). -- Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com; tmcd@us.ibm.com is my work address

2003-01-19 19:22:50-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <alam2vsi0c1goo8c42qpigrcndjsineiak@4ax.com>, Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com> wrote: > From somewhere over there William George Ferguson > <william.george.ferguson@domail.maricopa.edu> mumbled incoherently: > > >On 9 Jan 2003 10:27:12 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > > > >>In article <3E1D4D68.EEF0FCC0@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks > >><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > >> > >>> Desiree Davis wrote: > >>> > > >>> > accord to Marti on the What's My Line DVD commentary, the actress > >>> > worked with a dialogue coach to do an authentic Jamican-related > >>> > accent. It doesn't sound like the Jamacan we are used to, but it is an > >>> > actual accent. > >>> > >>> People are quick to mock accents on TV, because it's de rigueur that > >>> they're not realistic. Doesn't matter whether they really *are*. > >> > >>I'm reminded of all the people who were complaining about Faith's "fake > >>Boston accent" back in season 3, when Eliza Dushku is from Boston, and > >>was just using her normal accent. > > > >Or Doyle's 'fake Irish accent' (Glen Quinn was born and raised in > >Dublin, moving to the U.S. when he was 18). > > That reminds me of Mel Gibson. People think he's an Aussie, but he was > born in upstate New York and lived there until he was almost a > teenager. Then his father moved the family to Australia.(There are > some sources that say MG was almost 18 when he moved) It's hard, on > occasion, to discern any accent on his part. Unless you have the undubbed version of Mad Max. When it was first released in the North America they dubbed over Mel's voice with an American actor. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-19 23:03:24+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-19 23:03:24+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-19 23:49:38-06:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <o6pm2v4um6jkl2haii6cdbi3pgkb9of6ku@4ax.com>, Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com> wrote: > From somewhere over there Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> mumbled > incoherently: > > <snip> > > >> That reminds me of Mel Gibson. People think he's an Aussie, but he was > >> born in upstate New York and lived there until he was almost a > >> teenager. Then his father moved the family to Australia.(There are > >> some sources that say MG was almost 18 when he moved) It's hard, on > >> occasion, to discern any accent on his part. > > > >Unless you have the undubbed version of Mad Max. When it was first > >released in the North America they dubbed over Mel's voice with an > >American actor. > > Don't accents usually become more or less permanent by the time a > person is a teenager? If my family had stayed in Kentucky a few more > years instead of moving to northeast Ohio when we did, I just know I > would have sounded like Jeff Foxworthy. People from that part of > Kentucky have accents that are even more pronounced than most > southerners. > > I know you can lose quite a bit of your original accent if you move > away from where it's predominately spoken, but it never goes away > fully unless you coach it out of yourself. I used to work with a guy who grew up in Australia, and in normal conversation he doesn't seem have any accent at all. But he can turn his Australian accent on in an instant if he wants to. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-20 02:58:57+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-20 02:58:57+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-20 21:47:15+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)

2003-01-20 21:47:15+00:00 - Re: What SITs? - (Smaug69 <smaug69xx@carolinaxx.rrxx.com>)