FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-08 02:17:22+00:00 - Andrew is the best. - (mrl@psfc.mit.edu)

At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like stereotypes. Mark London MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

2003-01-08 02:17:22+00:00 - Andrew is the best. - (mrl@psfc.mit.edu)

At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like stereotypes. Mark London MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

2003-01-08 03:20:43+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (mrl@psfc.mit.edu)

In a previous article, st <striketoo@hotmail.com> wrote: ->On 8 JAN 2003 02:17:22 GMT, mrl@psfc.mit.edu (Mark London) wrote: -> ->>At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and ->>an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like ->>stereotypes. -> ->LOL. -> ->Andrew is not a stereotype??? -> ->He was funny, but stereotype is pretty much all he is. Nah, because stereotypes say what you expect them to say. You never know what Andrew is going to say, whether it will be something funny, stupid, or serious. In this episode he's funny, but he's also a sad character, because he's all alone now, with no one to really bond with. His character has been elevated to something more complex, the same way Spike was. However, whether it will be developed in any way during the rest of the season, or whether he'll be simply be used for jokes, is unknown. Mark London MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

[...]

2003-01-08 05:35:42+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Mark London wrote: > > At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and > an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like > stereotypes. Yeah, Andrew is a great stereotype of a geek. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-08 06:34:37+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Mark London wrote in message <8JAN03.02172238@psfc.mit.edu>... >At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and >an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like >stereotypes. Eeoow! He is the biggest loser in the whole show! Utterly unreal. As the world's biggest sweetie, Dawn, asked him "Are you talking some kind of language?".

2003-01-08 07:24:28+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Darwin Fish <a@a.edu>)

In article <1EPS9.100840$hK4.8186793@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > Mark London wrote in message <8JAN03.02172238@psfc.mit.edu>... > >At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, > and > >an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like > >stereotypes. > > Eeoow! > He is the biggest loser in the whole show! Utterly unreal. > As the world's biggest sweetie, Dawn, asked him "Are you talking some > kind of language?". > The funny thing is Dawn knew exactly what he was talking about but was too ashamed to admit it since she's just as much a geek. Guess Andrew was really talking the language of love. Got to love the Summer's womens taste in men.... -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Let the Darwin Fishes swim! www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-01-09 02:46:10-06:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Clem Clambake <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com>)

I think he's pretty funny, but the writers are starting to try too hard with his wimpyness and geek-speak. What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I really wish it was Jonathan with the gang right now. Somehow I just feel like the character deserved it. And Andrew, for all his humor, is a bad guy. He thought killing Warren's girlfriend was "kind of cool" and he murdered Jonathon. He deserves to be punished. Clem Clambake "Sine" <jaemd@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:ulaT9.4174$Yr2.903109@news20.bellglobal.com... > > > "Mark London" <mrl@psfc.mit.edu> wrote in message > news:8JAN03.02172238@psfc.mit.edu... > > At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, > and > > an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem > like > > stereotypes. > > > > Mark London > > MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU > > > I marvel at how many people find him funny. I say that quite honestly, > because he rarely even causes me to crack a smile, much less laugh. In > Showtime, I was amused when Buffy came in and he quickly brushed the couch > because he'd had his feet on it. (Actually, it might have been the face > Buffy made when she saw him do that that I found amusing.) Every other > minute he was onscreen was just lost time for me. I find him excruciatingly > boring, and the very definition of a walking nerd-stereotype. No matter, I > just keep telling myself he makes lots of other people laugh, and I try to > wait patiently for his scene to be over. Guess I have a blind spot for his > particular brand of humour. > >

2003-01-09 03:09:03-05:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Sine <jaemd@sympatico.ca>)

[...]

2003-01-09 06:31:29+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (James Craine <JamesCraine@Hotmail.com>)

Mark London wrote: > > At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and > an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like > stereotypes. Andrew is all they have left for comedy relief. Everyone else is so serious now. And can Spike ever be funny again, now that he is a good-guy?

2003-01-09 07:01:05+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <3E1CEF06.15FF9A7E@Hotmail.com>, James Craine <JamesCraine@Hotmail.com> wrote: > Mark London wrote: > > > > At least, IMHO. He gets the coolest lines to say, plus he's believable, and > > an interesting character to watch, unlike some of the others that seem like > > stereotypes. > > Andrew is all they have left for comedy relief. Everyone else is so > serious now. And can Spike ever be funny again, now that he is a > good-guy? Was Xander ever funny? Was Xander ever humorously snarky or sarcastic? Of course Spike can still be funny as a good guy. -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2003-01-09 09:13:43+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <wPWcnSQWXacuq4CjXTWc2Q@theshop.net>, "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com> wrote: > What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I really wish > it was Jonathan with the gang right now. Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. The characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people around him either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no significant interaction, let alone a purpose to his being on our screens other than to say wacky thing now and then. He's a gimmick, not a character. And if ME needs someone to be comic relief, how about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? Jonathan has a long history with the show (going back all the way to Danny Strong's one line in the unaired pilot) and the Scoobies. Even though he's existed mostly on the periphery of Buffy's life, they've been involved in a few very emotional moments in each other's lives (giving her the award at the prom, talking him out of suicide in Earshot, etc.). The character development was there, there was moral ambiguity to be explored, and...well, gosh darn it I liked seeing him in a scene and yawn everytime whassiname is there instead. Jonathan should be in that house. Jonathan should be trying to convince the Scoobies that he's trustworthy and useful. Darn. -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2003-01-09 11:21:13-06:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <cczona-AE4535.01134309012003@netnews.attbi.com>, CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid> wrote: > In article <wPWcnSQWXacuq4CjXTWc2Q@theshop.net>, > "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I really wish > > it was Jonathan with the gang right now. > > Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. The > characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people around him > either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no significant interaction, > let alone a purpose to his being on our screens other than to say wacky > thing now and then. He's a gimmick, not a character. And if ME needs > someone to be comic relief, how about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? > > Jonathan has a long history with the show (going back all the way to Danny > Strong's one line in the unaired pilot) and the Scoobies. Even though he's > existed mostly on the periphery of Buffy's life, they've been involved in a > few very emotional moments in each other's lives (giving her the award at > the prom, talking him out of suicide in Earshot, etc.). The character > development was there, there was moral ambiguity to be explored, > and...well, gosh darn it I liked seeing him in a scene and yawn everytime > whassiname is there instead. Jonathan should be in that house. Jonathan > should be trying to convince the Scoobies that he's trustworthy and useful. > > Darn. The trouble is that Jonathan would have been trustworthy and useful. He already has been. He told Buffy what she needed to know to beat Warren when he had the orbs of whatsit. He made Andrew back down when he had his sword to Xander's throat. Jonathan came back to Sunnydale to do the right thing, not because he hoped for a reward, but because it was right. (He'd been conned by Andrew, but Jonathan thought he was doing the right thing.) I think Andrew is going to go on trying to ingratiate himself with the group, and then he's going to betray them. They couldn't do that with Jonathan. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-09 11:21:42-06:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

CC Zona wrote: > In article <wPWcnSQWXacuq4CjXTWc2Q@theshop.net>, > "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I >> really wish it was Jonathan with the gang right now. > > Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. > The characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people > around him either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no > significant interaction, let alone a purpose to his being on our > screens other than to say wacky thing now and then. He's a gimmick, > not a character. And if ME needs someone to be comic relief, how > about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? > > Jonathan has a long history with the show (going back all the way to > Danny Strong's one line in the unaired pilot) and the Scoobies. Even > though he's existed mostly on the periphery of Buffy's life, they've > been involved in a few very emotional moments in each other's lives > (giving her the award at the prom, talking him out of suicide in > Earshot, etc.). The character development was there, there was moral > ambiguity to be explored, and...well, gosh darn it I liked seeing him > in a scene and yawn everytime whassiname is there instead. Jonathan > should be in that house. Jonathan should be trying to convince the > Scoobies that he's trustworthy and useful. > > Darn. I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so I don't forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room with him he gets a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I care about and have a story I'm interested in are reduced to cameo's. Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other reason why I should even care that he is taking up much needed screentime from other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason and a history with the characters, he had a story we could care about because we knew what he wanted and where he wanted to be. Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. Jul

2003-01-10 06:29:49+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Rowan Hawthorn wrote in message <3e1dc9bd$1_5@server.>... > >"Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message >news:86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net... >> CC Zona wrote: >> > In article <wPWcnSQWXacuq4CjXTWc2Q@theshop.net>, >> > "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com> wrote: >> > >> >> What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I >> >> really wish it was Jonathan with the gang right now. >> > >> > Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. >> > The characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people >> > around him either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no >> > significant interaction, let alone a purpose to his being on our >> > screens other than to say wacky thing now and then. He's a gimmick, >> > not a character. And if ME needs someone to be comic relief, how >> > about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? >> > >> > Jonathan has a long history with the show (going back all the way to >> > Danny Strong's one line in the unaired pilot) and the Scoobies. Even >> > though he's existed mostly on the periphery of Buffy's life, they've >> > been involved in a few very emotional moments in each other's lives >> > (giving her the award at the prom, talking him out of suicide in >> > Earshot, etc.). The character development was there, there was moral >> > ambiguity to be explored, and...well, gosh darn it I liked seeing him >> > in a scene and yawn everytime whassiname is there instead. Jonathan >> > should be in that house. Jonathan should be trying to convince the >> > Scoobies that he's trustworthy and useful. >> > >> > Darn. >> >> I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that >> everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so I >don't >> forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room with him he >gets >> a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I care about and have a >> story I'm interested in are reduced to cameo's. >> >> Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other reason >> why I should even care that he is taking up much needed screentime from >> other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason and a history with the >> characters, he had a story we could care about because we knew what he >> wanted and where he wanted to be. Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. >> Jul >> >> > >The world may be *really* coming to an end, because I totally agree with >you. While I occassionally get a chuckle from Andrew's stupidity, it's not >enough of one that it would keep me from going along with Xander's >suggestion of gagging the little shit - and then leaving him tied up outside >for demon kibbles. (On the other hand, he *could* be made useful - string >him up, still gagged, of course, and use him as a donor for Spike...) Except that Spike can't kill him unless The First makes him do it. But was the Spike we saw killing people really Spike? We know that The First can take over, or imitate, dead people, and we all know that Spike is dead. So was Spike really the killer? But I wish someone would kill that annoying little whiny wimp Andrew. Jonathan was the only one of those three losers who was worth the space he took up. By a very small margin, mainly because he gave Buffy the umbrella protector award in high school, which meant that he somehow got the vote of the graduating class, and had the nuggies to invent the award. And the will to do it. Nobody who could do that could be as totally useless as the other two twerps.

2003-01-10 07:19:33-08:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

"Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message news:<86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net>... > I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that > everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so I don't > forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room with him he gets > a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I care about and have a > story I'm interested in are reduced to cameo's. > > Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other reason > why I should even care that he is taking up much needed screentime from > other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason and a history with the > characters, he had a story we could care about because we knew what he > wanted and where he wanted to be. Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. Oh, the pain of knowing what we "Spike-haters"(1) felt in Season 5 and Season 6. Ironic. (1) The term "Spike-hater" here is used tongue-in-cheek since I don't hate Spike, it's just that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his integration in the show that you have with Andrew.

2003-01-10 10:09:30-06:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - ("Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@nospamhotmail.com>)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:42:30 GMT, Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net> wrote: >In article <24ab6293.0301100719.7eafdede@posting.google.com>, > bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote: > >> "Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message >> news:<86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net>... >> >> > I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that >> > everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so I don't >> > forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room with him he gets >> > a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I care about and have a >> > story I'm interested in are reduced to cameo's. >> > >> > Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other reason >> > why I should even care that he is taking up much needed screentime from >> > other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason and a history with the >> > characters, he had a story we could care about because we knew what he >> > wanted and where he wanted to be. Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. >> >> Oh, the pain of knowing what we "Spike-haters"(1) felt in Season 5 and >> Season 6. >> >> Ironic. >> >> (1) The term "Spike-hater" here is used tongue-in-cheek since I don't >> hate Spike, it's just that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his >> integration in the show that you have with Andrew. > >But you don't understand!!!! Spike is cute. Don't you understand, CUTE! >Compairing Spike to Andrew is like compairing a bunch of apples to >another bunch of not-cute apples. It's totally different!!! Anya herself could not have made a better analogy. ___________________________ ... just more than contended to be living and dying in three-quarter time

2003-01-10 12:31:38-06:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Juleen <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net>)

Snuggles wrote: > In article <24ab6293.0301100719.7eafdede@posting.google.com>, > bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote: > >> "Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message >> news:<86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net>... >> >>> I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that >>> everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so >>> I don't forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room >>> with him he gets a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I >>> care about and have a story I'm interested in are reduced to >>> cameo's. >>> >>> Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other >>> reason why I should even care that he is taking up much needed >>> screentime from other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason >>> and a history with the characters, he had a story we could care >>> about because we knew what he wanted and where he wanted to be. >>> Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. >> >> Oh, the pain of knowing what we "Spike-haters"(1) felt in Season 5 >> and Season 6. >> >> Ironic. >> >> (1) The term "Spike-hater" here is used tongue-in-cheek since I don't >> hate Spike, it's just that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his >> integration in the show that you have with Andrew. > > But you don't understand!!!! Spike is cute. Don't you understand, > CUTE! Compairing Spike to Andrew is like compairing a bunch of apples > to another bunch of not-cute apples. It's totally different!!! Well you just took my line :) except for the apples, more like comparing a red juicy delicious apple that you just want to bite into a let the juice...<did it just get hot in here or is it me, taking deep breath, now where was I ...oh yah> to one with a worm. Even HLoD unchipped Spike was a pleasure to watch ( the hand thing still makes my breath catch) "The Inititive" Spike with Willow was funny, "Pangs" Spike is funny in his own right. Andrew's humor comes from ill timed pop culture references that make him stupid not endearing. He has no charisma, he's a wannabe, which is just pathetic. Spike even in School Hard had sex appeal, to the point you couldn't help but watch him, Andrew has to scream in your face to be seen, which makes me want to watch him even less. Jul

2003-01-10 15:42:30+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net>)

2003-01-10 15:52:21+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Robert Scott Clark <clarkrs@mindspring.com>)

bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote in news:24ab6293.0301100719.7eafdede@posting.google.com: > "Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message > news:<86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net>... > >> I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that >> everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so I >> don't forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room with >> him he gets a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I care >> about and have a story I'm interested in are reduced to cameo's. >> >> Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other >> reason why I should even care that he is taking up much needed >> screentime from other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason >> and a history with the characters, he had a story we could care about >> because we knew what he wanted and where he wanted to be. Andrew, >> just makes my skin crawl. > > Oh, the pain of knowing what we "Spike-haters"(1) felt in Season 5 and > Season 6. > > Ironic. > > (1) The term "Spike-hater" here is used tongue-in-cheek since I don't > hate Spike, it's just that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his > integration in the show that you have with Andrew. > Poor comparison given that Spike did have a history with the characters. Even a non-enemy one starting in season 4.

2003-01-10 17:52:34-08:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

"Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message news:<zdET9.6915$Pm2.420846@feed2.centurytel.net>... > Snuggles wrote: > > In article <24ab6293.0301100719.7eafdede@posting.google.com>, > > bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote: > > > >> "Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message > >> news:<86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net>... > >> > >>> I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that > >>> everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so > >>> I don't forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room > >>> with him he gets a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I > >>> care about and have a story I'm interested in are reduced to > >>> cameo's. > >>> > >>> Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other > >>> reason why I should even care that he is taking up much needed > >>> screentime from other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason > >>> and a history with the characters, he had a story we could care > >>> about because we knew what he wanted and where he wanted to be. > >>> Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. > >> > >> Oh, the pain of knowing what we "Spike-haters"(1) felt in Season 5 > >> and Season 6. > >> > >> Ironic. > >> > >> (1) The term "Spike-hater" here is used tongue-in-cheek since I don't > >> hate Spike, it's just that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his > >> integration in the show that you have with Andrew. > > > > But you don't understand!!!! Spike is cute. Don't you understand, > > CUTE! Compairing Spike to Andrew is like compairing a bunch of apples > > to another bunch of not-cute apples. It's totally different!!! > > Well you just took my line :) except for the apples, more like comparing a > red juicy delicious apple that you just want to bite into a let the > juice...<did it just get hot in here or is it me, taking deep breath, now > where was I ...oh yah> to one with a worm. Cool down, there :) > Even HLoD unchipped Spike was a pleasure to watch ( the hand thing still > makes my breath catch) "The Inititive" Spike with Willow was funny, "Pangs" > Spike is funny in his own right. Won't argue with you. Back in Season 4, Spike was in the show in right dosage, it was Riley that wasn't. It's started a third into season 5 where the show forgot about Xander and Anya and made it the Spike and Buffy show. > Andrew's humor comes from ill timed pop culture references that make him > stupid not endearing. He has no charisma, he's a wannabe, which is just > pathetic. Spike even in School Hard had sex appeal, to the point you > couldn't help but watch him, Andrew has to scream in your face to be seen, > which makes me want to watch him even less. That's a matter of opinion (well, duh.. :P) I can't possibly see ANY sex-appeal whatsoever in Spike even when I try. And I find Andrew funny, and his pop culture references endearing. He's like a caricature of me and my friends, in a way. Except I'm much cooler, just like Picard is so much cooler than Kirk... :P

2003-01-10 18:03:46-08:00 - New theory about Andrew: Spoilers (was Re: Andrew is the best.) - (himiko@animail.net)

Spoiler Space: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<cczona-AE4535.01134309012003@netnews.attbi.com>... > In article <wPWcnSQWXacuq4CjXTWc2Q@theshop.net>, > "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I really wish > > it was Jonathan with the gang right now. > > Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. The > characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people around him > either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no significant interaction, > let alone a purpose to his being on our screens other than to say wacky > thing now and then. He's a gimmick, not a character. And if ME needs > someone to be comic relief, how about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? Because they have too much history, especially from S6. They've all (thank god) bounced back, but bouncing them as far back as comic relief is not possible for any of them. I find Andrew very good comic relief mostly because I don't really care that much about him. Certainly not as much as I would care about Jonathan even. I am, however starting to care about him a bit. Darn his sinister attraction! If you think of him as a gimmick, it's probably because you've never met anyone like him. I have. I'm a geek magnet. But if you've never come across this type of behavior, it probably strikes you as bizarre to the point of unbelievable. I suggest you attend a SciFi con someday. You will find it enlightening. > Jonathan has a long history with the show (going back all the way to Danny > Strong's one line in the unaired pilot) and the Scoobies. Yeah, but as noted above, that's kind of a problem as far as comic relief goes. It's also a problem as far as my new theory about the role he will play goes. This theory, and it is mine, it belongs to me, ahem. This theory has to do with Principal Wood being Nikki's son or brother, one of the slayers killed by Spike. I think Wood is going to try to avenge his mother/sister by staking Spike. He will instead kill poor silly Andrew who will be walking in a dark place wearing his Spike lookalike outfit. I expect Andrew will expire with some last line drawn from Star Wars or something; what were Darth Vader's last words? Anyway, the discovery that he has killed a human will either send Wood over to the Scoobies full bore, up to and including tolerating Spike, or send him over in the other direction. I'm hoping it's the latter. I think Wood would make a terrific vessel for the FE: smooth, silky, sexy EVOL! himiko

[...]

2003-01-10 23:40:03+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Speaker-to-Customers <greebo@manx.net>)

Robert Scott Clark wrote: > NightBaron wrote: > >> "Juleen" wrote ... >> >>> I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that >>> everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so >>> I don't forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room >>> with him he gets a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I >>> care about and have a story I'm interested in are reduced to >>> cameo's. >>> >>> Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other >>> reason why I should even care that he is taking up much needed >>> screentime from other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason >>> and a history with the characters, he had a story we could care >>> about because we knew what he wanted and where he wanted to be. >>> Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. >> >> Oh, the pain of knowing what we "Spike-haters"(1) felt in Season 5 >> and Season 6. >> >> Ironic. >> >> (1) The term "Spike-hater" here is used tongue-in-cheek since I don't >> hate Spike, it's just that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his >> integration in the show that you have with Andrew. >> > > Poor comparison given that Spike did have a history with the > characters. Even a non-enemy one starting in season 4. We could claim that the "non-enemy" history started with "Lovers' Walk" in Season 3. Although he held Xander & Willow hostage, he fought alongside Buffy and Angel and obviously really enjoyed doing so. And he was friendly with Joyce, even seemed to have a deep affection for her, well before that. Right back then I thought "Spike would make a better ally for the Scoobies than he does an enemy - if only he'd break up with that horrible Drusilla." Paul Speaker-to-Customers

2003-01-11 01:23:35+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Robert Scott Clark <clarkrs@mindspring.com>)

2003-01-11 06:56:02+00:00 - Re: New theory about Andrew: Spoilers (was Re: Andrew is the best.) - (Gert Wallage <gwallage@telus.com.net>)

2003-01-11 09:44:30-08:00 - Re: New theory about Andrew: Spoilers (was Re: Andrew is the best.) - (himiko@animail.net)

"Gert Wallage" <gwallage@telus.com.net> wrote in message news:<6ePT9.133351$k13.6180366@news0.telusplanet.net>... > > Spoiler Space: > > > > 1 > > 2 > > 3 > > 4 > > 5 > > 6 > > 7 > > 8 > > 9 > > 0 > > > > This theory has to do with Principal Wood being Nikki's son or > > brother, one of the slayers killed by Spike. I think Wood is going > > to try to avenge his mother/sister by staking Spike. He will > > instead kill poor silly Andrew who will be walking in a dark > > place wearing his Spike lookalike outfit. I expect Andrew will > > expire with some last line drawn from Star Wars or something; > > what were Darth Vader's last words? > > He said, "You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister...you > were right." Or Buffy could tell Dawn not to trust him and the results would be the same. Or it could be totally off the wall, just Andrew spouting the best death line he can think of, and it would totally confuse Wood...especially if Nikki was his sister and not his mother. > > If Dawn takes Andrew's side at some point and says he's not all bad, and if > Andrew happens to expire with Dawn at his side, I guess you *could*... nah. > Very few viewers would recognize the reference. Are you sure? I was amazed at how many people knew who Boba Fett was...and also told me that the date of manufacture for that action figure was wrong. As I said, I'm a geek magnet. Or are you being sarcastic here? I smell sarcasm in the air. ;) himiko

2003-01-11 10:43:28+00:00 - Re: Andrew is the best. - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Rowan Hawthorn wrote in message <3e1ef693_4@server.>... > >"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message >news:xLtT9.103993$hK4.8438090@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... >> >> Rowan Hawthorn wrote in message <3e1dc9bd$1_5@server.>... >> > >> >"Juleen" <REMOVEsunryse@centurytel.net> wrote in message >> >news:86iT9.6678$Pm2.408140@feed2.centurytel.net... >> >> CC Zona wrote: >> >> > In article <wPWcnSQWXacuq4CjXTWc2Q@theshop.net>, >> >> > "Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >> > >> >> >> What bothers me is that even though I find him entertaining, I >> >> >> really wish it was Jonathan with the gang right now. >> >> > >> >> > Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. >> >> > The characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people >> >> > around him either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no >> >> > significant interaction, let alone a purpose to his being on our >> >> > screens other than to say wacky thing now and then. He's a gimmick, >> >> > not a character. And if ME needs someone to be comic relief, how >> >> > about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? >> >> > >> >> > Jonathan has a long history with the show (going back all the way to >> >> > Danny Strong's one line in the unaired pilot) and the Scoobies. Even >> >> > though he's existed mostly on the periphery of Buffy's life, they've >> >> > been involved in a few very emotional moments in each other's lives >> >> > (giving her the award at the prom, talking him out of suicide in >> >> > Earshot, etc.). The character development was there, there was moral >> >> > ambiguity to be explored, and...well, gosh darn it I liked seeing him >> >> > in a scene and yawn everytime whassiname is there instead. Jonathan >> >> > should be in that house. Jonathan should be trying to convince the >> >> > Scoobies that he's trustworthy and useful. >> >> > >> >> > Darn. >> >> >> >> I agree with you on every count. It bothers me that a character that >> >> everyone forgets about is pushed in my face at every opportunity so I >> >don't >> >> forget about him. Everytime the camera is in the same room with him he >> >gets >> >> a line and a shot. On the other hand characters I care about and have a >> >> story I'm interested in are reduced to cameo's. >> >> >> >> Andrew hasn't been shown to have one redeeming quality or any other >> reason >> >> why I should even care that he is taking up much needed screentime from >> >> other more important issues. Jonathan had a reason and a history with >the >> >> characters, he had a story we could care about because we knew what he >> >> wanted and where he wanted to be. Andrew, just makes my skin crawl. >> >> Jul >> >> >> >> >> > >> >The world may be *really* coming to an end, because I totally agree with >> >you. While I occassionally get a chuckle from Andrew's stupidity, it's >not >> >enough of one that it would keep me from going along with Xander's >> >suggestion of gagging the little shit - and then leaving him tied up >> outside >> >for demon kibbles. (On the other hand, he *could* be made useful - >string >> >him up, still gagged, of course, and use him as a donor for Spike...) >> >> Except that Spike can't kill him unless The First makes him do it. > > >Actually, I was thinking of hanging him upside down like an IV bag and >having Buff drain a pint or so whenever Spike needs a snack. > > >> But was the Spike we saw killing people really Spike? We know that >The >> First can take over, or imitate, dead people, and we all know that Spike >is >> dead. So was Spike really the killer? > >I think we can safely say it was really Spike, based on this sequence in >"Sleeper:" > >As Spike's kissing the young woman's neck where he would bite her, Buffy >walks into the alley. Spike's eyes widen, and he looks up at her. >BUFFY: You know you want it. You know I want you to. > >YOUNG WOMAN: (following his glance, but seeing no one there) Um, is >everything- (he vamps, she screams, he bites her) > >BUFFY: (smiles) There's my guy. > >There wouldn't be any purpose in the First (as Buffy) appearing to the First >(as Spike.) So, yeah, it really was Spike (physically) who did the killing, >but he was under the First's control at the time. > >> But I wish someone would kill that annoying little whiny wimp Andrew. >> Jonathan was the only one of those three losers who was worth the >space >> he took up. By a very small margin, mainly because he gave Buffy the >> umbrella protector award in high school, which meant that he somehow got >> the vote of the graduating class, and had the nuggies to invent the award. >> And the will to do it. Nobody who could do that could be as totally >useless >> as the other two twerps. >> > >Plus, Jonathan also *recognized* that he and Andrew were responsible for >their actions and intended to atone for it. Warren and Andrew were dead >losses from day one. What you said. Jonathon was the one with a soul. Think he'll be back, like Spike or Angel? Or Buffy? At least once. I think the little twit earned one time just for the award, for wanting to do time for the crimes, and for the sheer neediness of "Superstar" and "Earshot".

2003-01-12 07:40:27+00:00 - Re: New theory about Andrew: Spoilers (was Re: Andrew is the best.) - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

2003-01-12 07:58:51-08:00 - Re: New theory about Andrew: Spoilers (was Re: Andrew is the best.) - (himiko@animail.net)

CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<cczona-179168.23402611012003@netnews.attbi.com>... > > Spoiler Space: > > > > 1 > > 2 > > 3 > > 4 > > 5 > > 6 > > 7 > > 8 > > 9 > > 0 > > 9 > > 8 > > 7 > > 6 > > 5 > > 4 > > 3 > > 2 > > 1 > > In article <c7902983.0301101803.3dc2954a@posting.google.com>, > himiko@animail.net (himiko) wrote: > > > > Andrew doesn't give me the giggles that he apparently gives others. The > > > characterization itself is so thin. He just babbles, and people around him > > > either ignore it or roll their eyes, so there's no significant interaction, > > > let alone a purpose to his being on our screens other than to say wacky > > > thing now and then. He's a gimmick, not a character. And if ME needs > > > someone to be comic relief, how about Xander, Spike, or Buffy?? > > > > Because they have too much history, especially from S6. They've all > > (thank god) bounced back, but bouncing them as far back as comic > > relief is not possible for any of them. > > It's not only possible, it's already been done. In Him we saw all three > being comic relief, including the sheer slapstick of Spike and Buffy with > the bazooka. Yes, these character are in some very emotionally un-funny > places right now, but (as the writer commentaries on the S3 DVD set > enthusiastically point out) this is a show that take glee in subverting the > big emotional moments by throwing in some inappropriate comic twist. I thought Him was the weakest episode of S7 so far. I attributed that partly to it being a standalone and partly to it being so much a repeat of BBB, but I think this may also be a reason. It's just not possible for these characters to do light comedy at this time. I'm not sure it would be possible for Jonathan either, BTW. > Himiko, I usually have so much respect for your insights, but in this > conclusion you're way off target. I don't find him bizarre, I find him > *bland*. (Being a card carrying geek myself, lack of exposure to my clan > is definitely not the problem.) Sorry. Shouldn't make these assumptions...especially not with another card-carrying member of my own clan. > As I said, one problem is that none of the > other characters take him seriously, whether as friend or foe or or even > simply as a presence in the room. Dawn's brief conversation with him was > one of the most involved interactions we've seen Andrew have with anyone, > including Warren. That's how insignificant his interactions with the main > characters has been. And I think that's normal. The Scoobs don't know Andrew as well as we, the audience, do. To them, he's a bizarre little twit who killed his friend for no good reason; they don't know about the whole thing with Warren, still less that the FE is appearing to Andrew in that guise. They have neither the time nor any reason to be getting closer aquainted with him at this moment either. I think the ignoring of Andrew is going to come back and bite them in their collective Scooby rears. He may betray them deliberately, or he may be the conduit the FE uses to get through to the Scoobs; I am convinced that the reason he had Andrew kill Jonathan wasn't to open the seal, but to make Andrew a killer so he could use his(Andrew's) blood to open the seal. In the end, the FE used Spike, so Andrew is a left-over. Andrew has been deeply touched by evil and more specifically by the FE, but because he's such a geek, the Scoobs don't take him seriously. I think they're going to regret that. > Yeah, but so what? I miss Jonathan as a *character* and all of the > complexity his history with the characters--especially Buffy--brings. So do I, but I don't think that has anything to do with Andrew's presence. He's not there in place of Jonathan. There is no way Jonathan could play the same role vis a vis the Scoobs as Andrew is now playing: not as comic relief and not as potential betrayer either. Jonathan would tell them what had happened pretty quickly and work to help. > Andrew's role happens to be comic relief because that's all they can do > with a character that thin; wishing that Jonathan were the one to survive > is not a wish for him serve the same very limited function that Andrew is. > Jonathan is more appealing because he brings more narrative versatility > than that. He's often been used for a quick laugh and is quite good for > that; but just by being in the same room with Buffy he brings a suitcase > full of subtext that could be exploited to quickly bring out any number of > other emotions as well. He may still do that. Death isn't the handicap it used to be on BTVS. > Andrew doesn't contribute to the plot, Not yet, anyway. > his relationships with others do not > advance their development or his own, he's just standing around either > whining or being ridiculed. They've tried to use him to mirror Spike, but > it's a pretty shallow metaphor so far. Who cares whether this guy redeems > himself or sticks with the "evil genius" shtick? I don't. He certainly > doesn't. Buffy and the Scoobies couldn't care less either. I think he's meant as more of a contrast to Spike. And also an in-joke from ME: look how we can make you care even about this murderous little twit. > If he goes > evil, the gang can have him back in lockdown (either with the SPD or as > Casa Summers) right quick. Jonathan knew Buffy, owed his life to Buffy > many times over, and yet he turned on her surprisingly easily when the > Warren decided to make the Trio her nemesises (lovin' that word! <g>). He > made that decision by being just as insecure and shallow as Andrew; but the > difference is that there would have been ample reason for the characters > and audience to take interest in Jonathan's (forward or backward) moral > progress--whereas none of us (in either 'verse) has that investment in > Andrew. I agree, and I hope we see some of this resolved with Jonathan returning in one form or another. I'd also like to see the Scoobs coming to terms with the idea that some people had an even worse high school experience than they did. But tieing Jonathan into Andrew's chair wouldn't serve that purpose, not at this time when they're all dashing madly about anyway. > > > This theory, and it is mine, it belongs to me, ahem. This theory has > > to do with Principal Wood being Nikki's son or brother, one of the > > slayers killed by Spike. > > <groan> Et tu? Hey, the spoiler is out there. I'm not too happy about it either, but we'll see how it plays. Certainly it is true that if my theory pans out, it has to be Andrew. There's no way anyone would mistake Jonathan for Spike. himiko

[...]

2003-01-22 18:07:04-08:00 - Re: New theory about Andrew (Spoilers for ep. 15, maybe) - (himiko@animail.net)

Rumor type spoilers > Spoiler Space: > > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 0 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > > I previously posted: > > This theory, and it is mine, it belongs to me, ahem. This theory has > to do with Principal Wood being Nikki's son or brother, one of the > slayers killed by Spike. I think Wood is going to try to avenge his > mother/sister by staking Spike. He will instead kill poor silly > Andrew who will be walking in a dark place wearing his Spike lookalike > outfit. I expect Andrew will expire with some last line drawn from > Star Wars or something; what were Darth Vader's last words? > > Anyway, the discovery that he has killed a human will either send Wood > over to the Scoobies full bore, up to and including tolerating Spike, > or send him over in the other direction. I'm hoping it's the latter. > I think Wood would make a terrific vessel for the FE: smooth, silky, > sexy EVOL! SpoilerSlayer is now posting that Spike will be resuming his/Nikki's long black duster and that Wood sees him in it. I say, Andrew is a goner. himiko