FLM films - My Webpage

2003-04-26 20:11:49-07:00 - Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (barnett@shentel.net)

I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the emotional angst joss favors these days. JLB

2003-04-27 04:20:10-07:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (Jak Crow <newsman@werewolves.org>)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 05:46:35 GMT, "MegaSilver" <megasilver@worldnet.att.net> wrote: >"JLB" <barnett@shentel.net> wrote in message >news:c7b2ff96.0304261911.1efd1a2f@posting.google.com... >> I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories >> to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the >> emotional angst joss favors these days. > > We actually brought this up in a discussion panel at the Chosen Con >today, "The Fandom after Buffy." The panelists seemed to think--and I >agreed--that given the trend of movies based on TV shows these days, it >could work, if Joss Whedon were in control (which he undoubtedly would be). Wow, cuz the trend has been for the movies to end up being 2 hour episodes and generally suck. I think your panel needs to start over and think about it again.

2003-04-27 05:46:35+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (MegaSilver <megasilver@worldnet.att.net>)

"JLB" <barnett@shentel.net> wrote in message news:c7b2ff96.0304261911.1efd1a2f@posting.google.com... > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > emotional angst joss favors these days. We actually brought this up in a discussion panel at the Chosen Con today, "The Fandom after Buffy." The panelists seemed to think--and I agreed--that given the trend of movies based on TV shows these days, it could work, if Joss Whedon were in control (which he undoubtedly would be). That was the main problem with the first movie, and one of the key problems with the last couple of seasons, IMHO: that Joss couldn't project his vision appropriately. Another problem is, when is the best time for a movie franchise? The next few years would allow Joss to possibly use the same actors, but it might not be successful until a few years down the road when everyone gets nostalgic, in which case, he'll have the horrible challenge of finding new actors who can live up to Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Marsters, Eliza Dushku, and everyone else. Buffy has been amazing for its actors who both "look and feel" the part extremely well, and this would be hard to recapture. But even if the movie franchise is executed within the next few years, there's no guarantee that we'd get the same actors anyway; for one thing, they'd have to negotiate some nice contracts, and for another, James Marsters in particular might start to show his age in the next few years. -- MegaSilver, who saw Stephanie Romanov at the con today and if I didn't know better I'd swear she doesn't eat AB Positive since Season One "This isn't some fairy tale. When I kiss you, you don't wake up from a deep sleep and live happily ever after."-Angel "No. When you kiss me, I want to die."-Buffy

2003-04-27 07:20:19-07:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (barnett@shentel.net)

"MegaSilver" <megasilver@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<%8Kqa.51639$cO3.3601509@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > "JLB" <barnett@shentel.net> wrote in message > news:c7b2ff96.0304261911.1efd1a2f@posting.google.com... > > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > > emotional angst joss favors these days. > > We actually brought this up in a discussion panel at the Chosen Con > today, "The Fandom after Buffy." The panelists seemed to think--and I > agreed--that given the trend of movies based on TV shows these days, it > could work, if Joss Whedon were in control (which he undoubtedly would be). > That was the main problem with the first movie, and one of the key problems > with the last couple of seasons, IMHO: that Joss couldn't project his > vision appropriately. > Another problem is, when is the best time for a movie franchise? The > next few years would allow Joss to possibly use the same actors, but it > might not be successful until a few years down the road when everyone gets > nostalgic, in which case, he'll have the horrible challenge of finding new > actors who can live up to Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Marsters, Eliza > Dushku, and everyone else. Buffy has been amazing for its actors who both > "look and feel" the part extremely well, and this would be hard to > recapture. But even if the movie franchise is executed within the next few > years, there's no guarantee that we'd get the same actors anyway; for one > thing, they'd have to negotiate some nice contracts, and for another, James > Marsters in particular might start to show his age in the next few years. Given the nostalgia movies seem to include a bit of parody towards the show it was based off of I'd be afraid a Buffy movie like that could turn into the original movie to easily. I'd say do it soon. I think it would be best to do it soon. All the TV movies recently have been older shows a new franchise hasn't come out of recent years like X-Files was supposed to be. JLB > -- > MegaSilver, who saw Stephanie Romanov at the con today and if I didn't know > better I'd swear she doesn't eat > > AB Positive since Season One > > "This isn't some fairy tale. When I kiss you, you don't wake up from a deep > sleep and live happily ever after."-Angel > "No. When you kiss me, I want to die."-Buffy

[...]

2003-04-27 09:48:00-07:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (jasctt2001@hotmail.com)

Why ruin a good thing? Let the show rest in peace and DO NOT even attempt a movie. I would go see it if they did, but I think that ME needs to back away from this idea. I will wait and see if JW comes up with a good idea that exists outside of the Buffyverse.

2003-04-27 14:32:09-07:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (barnett@shentel.net)

3D Master <3d.master@chello.nl> wrote in message news:<Z_Uqa.923784$sj7.37413977@Flipper>... > JLB wrote: > > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > > emotional angst joss favors these days. > > > > JLB > > God, I hope not. If it picks up on the end of season 7, I fear the > worst. Now a remake of the first movie, the way it was originally > intended the unmade movie people referenced in the first few eps of > Buffy, that's what I'd like to see. > > 3D Master No Xander, Willow or Giles? What the hell's the point? JLB > -- > ~~~~~ > "I've got something to say; it's better to burn out than to fade away!" > - The Kurgan, Highlander > > "Give me some sugar, baby!" > - Ashley J. 'Ash' Williams, Army of Darkness > ~~~~~ > > Author of several stories, which can be found here: > http://members.chello.nl/~jg.temolder1/

2003-04-27 14:33:03-07:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (barnett@shentel.net)

jasctt2001@hotmail.com (jasctt) wrote in message news:<1ac7ce9d.0304270848.5117656a@posting.google.com>... > Why ruin a good thing? Let the show rest in peace and DO NOT even > attempt a movie. I would go see it if they did, but I think that ME > needs to back away from this idea. I will wait and see if JW comes up > with a good idea that exists outside of the Buffyverse. I personally don't care about ME, just the product they create. JLB

2003-04-27 14:33:03-07:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (barnett@shentel.net)

jasctt2001@hotmail.com (jasctt) wrote in message news:<1ac7ce9d.0304270848.5117656a@posting.google.com>... > Why ruin a good thing? Let the show rest in peace and DO NOT even > attempt a movie. I would go see it if they did, but I think that ME > needs to back away from this idea. I will wait and see if JW comes up > with a good idea that exists outside of the Buffyverse. I personally don't care about ME, just the product they create. JLB

2003-04-27 18:06:49+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (3D Master <3d.master@chello.nl>)

JLB wrote: > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > emotional angst joss favors these days. > > JLB God, I hope not. If it picks up on the end of season 7, I fear the worst. Now a remake of the first movie, the way it was originally intended the unmade movie people referenced in the first few eps of Buffy, that's what I'd like to see. 3D Master -- ~~~~~ "I've got something to say; it's better to burn out than to fade away!" - The Kurgan, Highlander "Give me some sugar, baby!" - Ashley J. 'Ash' Williams, Army of Darkness ~~~~~ Author of several stories, which can be found here: http://members.chello.nl/~jg.temolder1/

2003-04-27 18:47:46+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net>)

In article <c7b2ff96.0304261911.1efd1a2f@posting.google.com>, JLB <barnett@shentel.net> wrote: > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > emotional angst joss favors these days. without the emotional angst, the stories would be flat. then there is the issue of cast interest. Sarah doesn't want to do Buffy at the moment so there couldn't be anything produced for a while. And that would mean having to deal with other projects for all the cast and crew etc. and then there is the question of whether the show would translate to the big screen with any success. look at the X-Files disaster.

2003-04-27 22:05:26+01:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (Shuggie <shuggie@SPAMMENOTaceypace.freeserve.co.uk>)

On 27 Apr 2003 09:48:00 -0700, jasctt2001@hotmail.com (jasctt) wrote: >Why ruin a good thing? Let the show rest in peace and DO NOT even >attempt a movie. I would go see it if they did, but I think that ME >needs to back away from this idea. I will wait and see if JW comes up >with a good idea that exists outside of the Buffyverse. He has, it's called Firefly. He currently trying to make it into a movie. -- Shug It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big.

2003-04-27 22:05:26+01:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (Shuggie <shuggie@SPAMMENOTaceypace.freeserve.co.uk>)

On 27 Apr 2003 09:48:00 -0700, jasctt2001@hotmail.com (jasctt) wrote: >Why ruin a good thing? Let the show rest in peace and DO NOT even >attempt a movie. I would go see it if they did, but I think that ME >needs to back away from this idea. I will wait and see if JW comes up >with a good idea that exists outside of the Buffyverse. He has, it's called Firefly. He currently trying to make it into a movie. -- Shug It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big.

2003-04-27 23:22:02+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (Willis <dont@email.me>)

No. Making the Buffy continuity accessable to the masses isn't going to happen. Angel is doable because the premise is much more simple and accessable to a wide variety of stories. A Buffy film would have to recount much of the mythos to give the motivation for the story. The redemption motive for Angel is much less complicated. Plus the story is easier to build in the Angel corner of the Buffyverse. Either Cordy as a vision or a client comes in. Buffy lacks such a convenient way to start a story that will take precisely two hours or so to solve. Willis barnett@shentel.net (JLB) wrote in news:c7b2ff96.0304261911.1efd1a2f@posting.google.com: > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > emotional angst joss favors these days. > > JLB

2003-04-27 23:51:26+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (fylmfan@aol.comspam)

2003-04-28 12:04:57+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (3D Master <3d.master@chello.nl>)

JLB wrote: > 3D Master <3d.master@chello.nl> wrote in message news:<Z_Uqa.923784$sj7.37413977@Flipper>... > >>JLB wrote: >> >>>I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories >>>to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the >>>emotional angst joss favors these days. >>> >>>JLB >> >>God, I hope not. If it picks up on the end of season 7, I fear the >>worst. Now a remake of the first movie, the way it was originally >>intended the unmade movie people referenced in the first few eps of >>Buffy, that's what I'd like to see. >> >>3D Master > > > No Xander, Willow or Giles? What the hell's the point? > > JLB And you think you will get Willow, Xander or Giles in a post season 7 film? At most they'll be sitting in the circle as they resurrect Spike at the beginning and that the wonder vamp can run around the rest of the movie shirtless while he and Buffy have lots of fantastic make-up sex. W,X,G will be off to the side: "Ah, look at the happy couple, Buffy really needs a vamp to hump her bones, only now can she be happy." 3D Master -- ~~~~~ "I've got something to say; it's better to burn out than to fade away!" - The Kurgan, Highlander "Give me some sugar, baby!" - Ashley J. 'Ash' Williams, Army of Darkness ~~~~~ Author of several stories, which can be found here: http://members.chello.nl/~jg.temolder1/

2003-04-28 13:50:42+00:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (dsueme@core.com)

On 26 Apr 2003 20:11:49 -0700, barnett@shentel.net (JLB) wrote: >I think it could. I know better. Dave When the Prime Minister spoke yesterday I thought to myself, "I hope I'll be able to give a speech like that when I grow up" - Bill Clinton, October 2, 2002 http://my.core.com/~dsueme/power%20lines%20mail.JPG

2003-04-28 15:27:46-04:00 - Re: Could Buffy support a movie franchise - (Arnold Kim <kim5@erols.com>)

"JLB" <barnett@shentel.net> wrote in message news:c7b2ff96.0304270620.129cda1a@posting.google.com... > "MegaSilver" <megasilver@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<%8Kqa.51639$cO3.3601509@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > > "JLB" <barnett@shentel.net> wrote in message > > news:c7b2ff96.0304261911.1efd1a2f@posting.google.com... > > > I think it could. There seems to me that the show still has stories > > > to be told, but just having to tell the story straight out minus the > > > emotional angst joss favors these days. > > > > We actually brought this up in a discussion panel at the Chosen Con > > today, "The Fandom after Buffy." The panelists seemed to think--and I > > agreed--that given the trend of movies based on TV shows these days, it > > could work, if Joss Whedon were in control (which he undoubtedly would be). > > That was the main problem with the first movie, and one of the key problems > > with the last couple of seasons, IMHO: that Joss couldn't project his > > vision appropriately. > > Another problem is, when is the best time for a movie franchise? The > > next few years would allow Joss to possibly use the same actors, but it > > might not be successful until a few years down the road when everyone gets > > nostalgic, in which case, he'll have the horrible challenge of finding new > > actors who can live up to Sarah Michelle Gellar, James Marsters, Eliza > > Dushku, and everyone else. Buffy has been amazing for its actors who both > > "look and feel" the part extremely well, and this would be hard to > > recapture. But even if the movie franchise is executed within the next few > > years, there's no guarantee that we'd get the same actors anyway; for one > > thing, they'd have to negotiate some nice contracts, and for another, James > > Marsters in particular might start to show his age in the next few years. > > > Given the nostalgia movies seem to include a bit of parody towards the > show it was based off of I'd be afraid a Buffy movie like that could > turn into the original movie to easily. I'd say do it soon. I think > it would be best to do it soon. All the TV movies recently have been > older shows a new franchise hasn't come out of recent years like > X-Files was supposed to be. How about the Star Trek: The Next Generation movies? Arnold Kim