FLM films - My Webpage

2003-05-07 12:28:01-07:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Mark London wrote: > > A very old plot device, and one that seemed a bit easy for Buffy to find. > The magic object comes to the rescue again... At least as old as Excalibur, unless you want to go way back to something like the Eye of Horus. I think they're doing an Arthurian rip off though. > Also, when Caleb was fighting Buffy, when he realizes he can't catch her, he > should at least change tactics and start using some weapons of his own, i.e. > some sword or similar that would increase his range to get to Buffy easier. Buffy was just doing the rope-a-dope. The tactical probelm was that she was expending as much energy as Caleb. Unless she has more energy than Caleb, that's not the way rope-a-dope is supposed to work. What surprised me was that he didn't pursue her. I also wondered where the Bringers were. First/Buffy said it was time to stir them. Either they were being cooked, or they were close enough to join the fight. That would have changed the outcome.

[...]

2003-05-07 15:59:00-07:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (jillun@hotmail.com)

Well, my opinion on the subject hahah is that Buffy going in without people to protect and worry about was probably what saved everything. The only person she had to worry about was herself, and she always does well when everyone's out of the way in these circumstances.

2003-05-07 16:06:42-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Linda Chen <lrc22@nospam.cornell.edu>)

"Carmikl" <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote in message news:3EB95E41.A75EC2BA@rcn.com... > Mark London wrote: > > > > A very old plot device, and one that seemed a bit easy for Buffy to find. > > The magic object comes to the rescue again... > > At least as old as Excalibur, unless you want to go way back to > something like the Eye of Horus. I think they're doing an Arthurian rip > off though. > > > Also, when Caleb was fighting Buffy, when he realizes he can't catch her, he > > should at least change tactics and start using some weapons of his own, i.e. > > some sword or similar that would increase his range to get to Buffy easier. > > Buffy was just doing the rope-a-dope. The tactical probelm was that she > was expending as much energy as Caleb. Unless she has more energy than > Caleb, that's not the way rope-a-dope is supposed to work. > > What surprised me was that he didn't pursue her. I also wondered where > the Bringers were. First/Buffy said it was time to stir them. Either > they were being cooked, or they were close enough to join the fight. > That would have changed the outcome. Yep. Last episode Buffy said that all the firepower of the First is camping out at the Vineyard. And that firepower is ... where? Not a single bringer was present, and we know they couldn't have all gone to the arsenal. Linda

[...]

2003-05-07 19:00:45+00:00 - It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (mrl@psfc.mit.edu)

A very old plot device, and one that seemed a bit easy for Buffy to find. The magic object comes to the rescue again... At least make it an adventure to find it, like Angel finding the magic word to get rid of Jasmine (although it didn't totally get rid of her, thankfully). And don't you think that if Caleb is using good old fashioned explosives booby traps, that he might have booby trapped the axe/scythe, in case anyone tried to take it? Also, when Caleb was fighting Buffy, when he realizes he can't catch her, he should at least change tactics and start using some weapons of his own, i.e. some sword or similar that would increase his range to get to Buffy easier. Doesn't he carry a knife that could have tried flinging at her? Heck, with his strength, he could have thrown a few kegs at her easily. Watching him trying to catch Buffy was like watching a Roadrunner cartoon. And then, magic! A door in the floor opens, and she's quickly down it (don't they put latches on doors, even floor ones, so they don't pop open like that?) Was this scene supposed to be a promo for the once possible Buffy cartoon? Mark London MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

2003-05-07 19:45:07+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca>)

mrl@psfc.mit.edu (Mark London) wrote in news:7MAY03.19004500@psfc.mit.edu: > A very old plot device, and one that seemed a bit easy for Buffy to > find. Unless Caleb WANTS her to find it. Either way, he drew her to it. Without Caleb, Buffy would never find out about the Scythe. > And then, magic! A door in the > floor opens, and she's quickly down it (don't they put latches on > doors, even floor ones, so they don't pop open like that?) Was this > scene supposed to be a promo for the once possible Buffy cartoon? I'm pretty sure the door was already open. It was just hidden behind the keg that Caleb knocked over, no one could see it till then. -- Rick S. Calgary, Alberta rick-sam@shaw.ca

2003-05-07 19:45:07+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca>)

mrl@psfc.mit.edu (Mark London) wrote in news:7MAY03.19004500@psfc.mit.edu: > A very old plot device, and one that seemed a bit easy for Buffy to > find. Unless Caleb WANTS her to find it. Either way, he drew her to it. Without Caleb, Buffy would never find out about the Scythe. > And then, magic! A door in the > floor opens, and she's quickly down it (don't they put latches on > doors, even floor ones, so they don't pop open like that?) Was this > scene supposed to be a promo for the once possible Buffy cartoon? I'm pretty sure the door was already open. It was just hidden behind the keg that Caleb knocked over, no one could see it till then. -- Rick S. Calgary, Alberta rick-sam@shaw.ca

2003-05-08 09:12:43+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (3D Master <3d.master@chello.nl>)

Jillun wrote: > Well, my opinion on the subject hahah is that Buffy going in without > people to protect and worry about was probably what saved everything. > The only person she had to worry about was herself, and she always > does well when everyone's out of the way in these circumstances. You mean, just like against the master? She just has dumb luck. The vineyard might just as well have been filled with bringers, who just have to get in her way once for Caleb to get his hands on her anyway. Where were the bringers anyway? Oh, yeah! Buffy is a dumb blonde, so her adverseries have to be even more stupid in order for her to win. Hundreds of the things in sunnydale, millions across the globe, a handful at the arsenal trap, and where is the rest? Not even leaving a handful to guard the weapon, is just plain stupid. Of course, the guy who kicked her ass without breaking a sweat, just had to suddenly turn into a bungling fool too. 3D Master -- ~~~~~ "I've got something to say; it's better to burn out than to fade away!" - The Kurgan, Highlander "Give me some sugar, baby!" - Ashley J. 'Ash' Williams, Army of Darkness ~~~~~ Author of several stories, which can be found here: http://members.chello.nl/~jg.temolder1/

[...]

2003-05-08 09:13:09-07:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

It looked more like a truncated electric guitar to me.

2003-05-08 11:20:23-05:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Just Rick Ramey <rickramey@tepidmail.com>)

On 8 May 2003 09:13:09 -0700, bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote: >It looked more like a truncated electric guitar to me. So an axe then.

2003-05-08 12:30:59-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <fcpua.1380944$sj7.57914480@Flipper>, 3D Master <3d.master@chello.nl> wrote: > Jillun wrote: > > Well, my opinion on the subject hahah is that Buffy going in without > > people to protect and worry about was probably what saved everything. > > The only person she had to worry about was herself, and she always > > does well when everyone's out of the way in these circumstances. > > You mean, just like against the master? > > She just has dumb luck. The vineyard might just as well have been filled > with bringers, who just have to get in her way once for Caleb to get his > hands on her anyway. And if there had been Bringers there, she might have backed off and waited for a better opportunity. Or maybe she had a plan to deal with the Bringers, and then didn't have to use it, since there weren't any there. Part of being good in battle is being able to see your opportunities, adn sieze them. Buffy saw and opportunity to go against Caleb when he was alone, and she took it. > > Where were the bringers anyway? They were off ambushing Faith and the Potentials. > Oh, yeah! Buffy is a dumb blonde, so her > adverseries have to be even more stupid in order for her to win. > Hundreds of the things in sunnydale, millions across the globe, a > handful at the arsenal trap, and where is the rest? Not even leaving a > handful to guard the weapon, is just plain stupid. Of course, the guy > who kicked her ass without breaking a sweat, just had to suddenly turn > into a bungling fool too. > > 3D Master How many Bringers have we ever seen at once? Eight or so tops. People keep saying that the First has hundreds or millions of them, but we've never *seen* them. They usually just show up in groups of three or four. If the First has hundreds of them in Sunnydale why hasn't it just sent them all to the Summers house to overwhelm them? Especially now that the cops and everyone else have cleared out of town. Between Buffy, Faith, and the Potentials they killed off a dozen Bringers this week. Maybe that was pretty much the complete supply the First had available, and now it's going to have to make more. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

[...]

2003-05-08 22:38:20-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

It's an axe AND a scythe! (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!)

2003-05-08 23:38:54-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: >> It's an axe AND a scythe! >> >> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) > >As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >these... > >http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I suppose it's a valid screwup. If it's a scythe AND an axe, let's just call it a sax, shall we? snerk

2003-05-08 23:38:54-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: >> It's an axe AND a scythe! >> >> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) > >As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >these... > >http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I suppose it's a valid screwup. If it's a scythe AND an axe, let's just call it a sax, shall we? snerk

2003-05-09 00:04:01-07:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Bill_ <here@there.com>)

WB does this a lot. Like church Dark Willow went to, that thingy from Wood's mom. And remember Slayer Dreams? When was last time Buf had good Slayer dream? We will be glad show is ending when Dawn gets in on with Andrew. ======= Mark London wrote: > > A very old plot device, and one that seemed a bit easy for Buffy to find. > The magic object comes to the rescue again... At least make it an adventure > to find it, like Angel finding the magic word to get rid of Jasmine (although > it didn't totally get rid of her, thankfully). And don't you think that if > Caleb is using good old fashioned explosives booby traps, that he might have > booby trapped the axe/scythe, in case anyone tried to take it? > > Also, when Caleb was fighting Buffy, when he realizes he can't catch her, he > should at least change tactics and start using some weapons of his own, i.e. > some sword or similar that would increase his range to get to Buffy easier. > Doesn't he carry a knife that could have tried flinging at her? Heck, with > his strength, he could have thrown a few kegs at her easily. Watching him > trying to catch Buffy was like watching a Roadrunner cartoon. And then, > magic! A door in the floor opens, and she's quickly down it (don't they put > latches on doors, even floor ones, so they don't pop open like that?) Was > this scene supposed to be a promo for the once possible Buffy cartoon? > > Mark London > MRL@PSFC.MIT.EDU

2003-05-09 03:22:57+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca>)

forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote in news:t35mbv82giupjpqlli0lrou4gjpoka9fg7@4ax.com: > It's an axe AND a scythe! > > (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of these... http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm PS, I've had dessert topping that tastes like floor wax, what's your point? ~_^ -- Rick S. Calgary, Alberta rick-sam@shaw.ca

2003-05-09 04:57:25+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (nyob <nyob@aol.hell.com>)

"Rick S" <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:Xns9375D98B81FFDricksamshawca@24.71.223.159... > forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote in > news:t35mbv82giupjpqlli0lrou4gjpoka9fg7@4ax.com: > > > It's an axe AND a scythe! > > > > (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) > > As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of > these... > > http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm > > PS, I've had dessert topping that tastes like floor wax, what's your > point? ~_^ > > -- > Rick S. > Calgary, Alberta > rick-sam@shaw.ca > or how about this http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/sickle.htm

2003-05-09 23:46:17+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca>)

"nyob" <nyob@aol.hell.com> wrote in news:VyGua.91085$sn6.1753135 @twister.tampabay.rr.com: > http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/sickle.htm Sorry, the halberb looked closer. The sickle doen't look anything like "The Scythe" -- Rick S. Calgary, Alberta rick-sam@shaw.ca

2003-05-11 08:36:56+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (rgorman@telusplanet.net)

On 7 May 2003 15:59:00 -0700, jillun@hotmail.com (Jillun) wrote: >Well, my opinion on the subject hahah is that Buffy going in without >people to protect and worry about was probably what saved everything. How about this possibility: Caleb let her get past so she would pull the weapon out of what is holding it in place because only she can do it.

2003-05-11 09:23:54-05:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Snuggles <postmaster@spamcop.net>)

In article <3ebcbc92.127420235@news.telusplanet.net>, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote: > On 7 May 2003 15:59:00 -0700, jillun@hotmail.com (Jillun) wrote: > > >Well, my opinion on the subject hahah is that Buffy going in without > >people to protect and worry about was probably what saved everything. > > How about this possibility: > > Caleb let her get past so she would pull the weapon out of what is > holding it in place because only she can do it. You mean that's why he "accidentally" knocked over the barrel that covered the trapdoor? And Buffy fell for it? He evil I tell you! Evil!

2003-05-11 09:30:47-07:00 - [SPOILERS] The Source of Caleb's Power (was Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's...) - (lisa@starways.net)

mrl@psfc.mit.edu (Mark London) wrote in message news:<7MAY03.19004500@psfc.mit.edu>... > > Also, when Caleb was fighting Buffy, when he realizes he can't catch her, he > should at least change tactics and start using some weapons of his own, i.e. > some sword or similar that would increase his range to get to Buffy easier. > Doesn't he carry a knife that could have tried flinging at her? Heck, with > his strength, he could have thrown a few kegs at her easily. Watching him > trying to catch Buffy was like watching a Roadrunner cartoon. I think Buffy realized that he's never been able to display super-strength until she's hit him first. He needs her to strike first, or he's just a hateful misogynist with delusions of grandeur. She ran like that so that he wouldn't be able to touch her. He couldn't through the kegs because he didn't have the strength to. Lisa

2003-05-11 14:03:46-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

On Sun, 11 May 2003 14:37:03 GMT, hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com> wrote: >>>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm >> >>Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >>suppose it's a valid screwup. >> > >Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than >being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. Hm! Thanks for the info.

2003-05-11 14:37:03+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com>)

On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:54 -0400, forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: >On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: > >>> It's an axe AND a scythe! >>> >>> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) >> >>As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >>these... >> >>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm > >Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >suppose it's a valid screwup. > Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers.

2003-05-11 16:43:56-07:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (galt_57@hotmail.com)

hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com> wrote in message news:<kk2tbvogtbehaluejuqcp6c2k4vclj62u1@4ax.com>... > On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:54 -0400, forge > <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: > > >On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: > > > >>> It's an axe AND a scythe! > >>> > >>> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) > >> > >>As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of > >>these... > >> > >>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm > > > >Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I > >suppose it's a valid screwup. > > > > Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than > being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. Must be some sort of slayer sex toy. Will she pick it up or sit on it? Seems a bit big and clunky for a dainty slayer to wield while doing backflips.

2003-05-11 17:53:53-04:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:21:11 GMT, "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > If you go to a good museum with a display of mediaeval arms you'll find >several types of polearms all with different names: Halberd is a specific >type; poleaxe is more generic. Figgered this were the case; been calling them that since I played the Original D&D by Gygax & Arneson back in the 70s.

2003-05-11 18:33:05+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com>)

On Sun, 11 May 2003 14:03:46 -0400, forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: >On Sun, 11 May 2003 14:37:03 GMT, hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com> wrote: > >>>>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm >>> >>>Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >>>suppose it's a valid screwup. >>> >> >>Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than >>being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. > >Hm! Thanks for the info. Here's a good picture. http://www.aemma.org/images/pollaxe.jpg

2003-05-11 21:21:11+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

hyzmarca wrote in message ... >On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:54 -0400, forge ><bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: > >>On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: >> >>>> It's an axe AND a scythe! >>>> >>>> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) >>> >>>As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >>>these... >>> >>>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm >> >>Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >>suppose it's a valid screwup. >> > >Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than >being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. I prefer the Oxford English Dictionary as an authority. It defines a Poleaxe as"A Battle-Axe", "A Halbert", although if you look up "Halbert" you find only "Halberd". It's an axe (with either a spike or a hammer opposite the blade) on a pole. If you go to a good museum with a display of mediaeval arms you'll find several types of polearms all with different names: Halberd is a specific type; poleaxe is more generic.

2003-05-11 22:19:34+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com>)

On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:21:11 GMT, "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > >hyzmarca wrote in message ... >>On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:54 -0400, forge >><bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: >> >>>On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: >>> >>>>> It's an axe AND a scythe! >>>>> >>>>> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) >>>> >>>>As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >>>>these... >>>> >>>>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm >>> >>>Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >>>suppose it's a valid screwup. >>> >> >>Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than >>being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. > > I prefer the Oxford English Dictionary as an authority. > It defines a Poleaxe as"A Battle-Axe", "A Halbert", although if you look >up "Halbert" you find only "Halberd". > It's an axe (with either a spike or a hammer opposite the blade) on a >pole. > If you go to a good museum with a display of mediaeval arms you'll find >several types of polearms all with different names: Halberd is a specific >type; poleaxe is more generic. Webster spells it Poleax, and defines it as so Main Entry: 1pole�ax Pronunciation: 'pO-"laks Function: noun Etymology: Middle English polax, pollax, from pol, polle poll + ax Date: 14th century 1 : a battle-ax with a short handle and often a hook or spike opposite the blade; also : one with a long handle used as an ornamental weapon 2 : an ax used in slaughtering cattle Poleaxe, I'm not sure if it was a generic term for halbred type weapons or not. I didn't live then so I can't say. It generaly is today. However, every peice of scollary work on the subject I can find states that there was a weapon called a pollaxe, none mention a Poleaxe. Generaly, English dictionaries don't specialize in weapons reasearch I perfer this definition. http://www.chicagoswordplayguild.com/gloss.html#poleaxe Hache - Also "Bec de Faucon" or "Pollaxe" or "Polaxe" -The "pollaxe" is something of a misnomer, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, the term "poll" is a period reference to the skull, not a "pole" on which the axe head rode. Secondly, the hache was often not an axe at all. Based on surviving examples, there seem to have been two principle forms of hache. The first bore an edged, axe shaped cutting blade on the front side, a small hammer head or curved spike on the back, and was surmounted with a long rectangular or diamond cross-sectioned spike at the top of the haft. The second form, usually referred to as the "Bec de Faucon" sported a large hammer head instead of an axe, and was backed with a spike or curved fluke. Both weapons either terminated in a heavy steel counterweight, or a sharpened buttspike, and seemed to range anywhere from five to seven or more feet long. Thalhoffer and De Liberi both provide many instructional plates on the use of the hache, but the most important document is the anonymous "Le Jeu de la Hache," of the mid-15th century, and translated into modern English by Dr. Sydney Anglo. http://www.chicagoswordplayguild.com/gloss.html http://www.irishclans.com/articles/weaponsirish3.html http://www.aemma.org/misc/news/wma2002/summaryReport.html http://www.scholasolis.com/Poleaxe/parts.htm http://www.accesswave.ca/~phowell/phyguide/guide-equip-polearms.html http://mqh.cit.cornell.edu/~mqh/st-mikes/combat.html Many of these sites belong to groups that specialize in recreational histroical combat. I suspect that they are more accurate than a dictionary. Dictionary writers don't have time to research a single term. On the other hand, scollars who specialize in midieval combat have little else.

2003-05-12 01:18:15+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

hyzmarca wrote in message ... >On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:21:11 GMT, "Aethelrede" ><aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > >> >>hyzmarca wrote in message ... >>>On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:54 -0400, forge >>><bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: >>> >>>>On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: >>>> >>>>>> It's an axe AND a scythe! >>>>>> >>>>>> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) >>>>> >>>>>As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >>>>>these... >>>>> >>>>>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm >>>> >>>>Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >>>>suppose it's a valid screwup. >>>> >>> >>>Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than >>>being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. >> >> I prefer the Oxford English Dictionary as an authority. >> It defines a Poleaxe as"A Battle-Axe", "A Halbert", although if you look >>up "Halbert" you find only "Halberd". >> It's an axe (with either a spike or a hammer opposite the blade) on a >>pole. >> If you go to a good museum with a display of mediaeval arms you'll find >>several types of polearms all with different names: Halberd is a specific >>type; poleaxe is more generic. > >However, every peice of scollary work on the subject I can find states >that there was a weapon called a pollaxe, none mention a Poleaxe. Personally, I prefer scholarly works.

2003-05-12 03:19:54+00:00 - Re: It's an axe, it's a scythe, no it's... - (hyzmarca <hyzmarca@vol.com>)

On Mon, 12 May 2003 01:18:15 GMT, "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > >hyzmarca wrote in message ... >>On Sun, 11 May 2003 21:21:11 GMT, "Aethelrede" >><aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: >> >>> >>>hyzmarca wrote in message ... >>>>On Thu, 08 May 2003 23:38:54 -0400, forge >>>><bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: >>>> >>>>>On Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:57 GMT, Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>>> It's an axe AND a scythe! >>>>>>> >>>>>>> (It's a dessert topping AND a floorwax!) >>>>>> >>>>>>As if that's not enough, some others are trying to say it's one of >>>>>>these... >>>>>> >>>>>>http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/halberb.htm >>>>> >>>>>Well, a halberd can be (incorrectly I suppose) called a "poleaxe" so I >>>>>suppose it's a valid screwup. >>>>> >>>> >>>>Its actualy pollaxe. Poll is a period term for head. Rather than >>>>being axes, most pollaxes were actualy hammers. >>> >>> I prefer the Oxford English Dictionary as an authority. >>> It defines a Poleaxe as"A Battle-Axe", "A Halbert", although if you >look >>>up "Halbert" you find only "Halberd". >>> It's an axe (with either a spike or a hammer opposite the blade) on a >>>pole. >>> If you go to a good museum with a display of mediaeval arms you'll >find >>>several types of polearms all with different names: Halberd is a specific >>>type; poleaxe is more generic. >> > > >>However, every peice of scollary work on the subject I can find states >>that there was a weapon called a pollaxe, none mention a Poleaxe. > > Personally, I prefer scholarly works. Please don't insult my spelling. My ideas, I can take blame for. My spelling is primarily the result of a hand injury. I admit, I could check my spelling more thoroughly , but sometimes its just too much of a pain to go back and fix everything.