FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-07 15:00:39-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com>)

Carey wrote: > > If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > > Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass > before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long fight > scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > regular person. > > Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte > available with which to decapitate the vampire. > > This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > without taking the hits. She probably should have taken Ubie out in their second meeting in the last episode but Oops, she forgot her sword. > They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > strategy, planning or caution. >

2003-01-07 19:32:08-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (reldevik@usa.net)

"Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... > If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > > Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass > before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long fight > scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > regular person. > > Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte > available with which to decapitate the vampire. > > This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > strategy, planning or caution. > > And now we have Spike, who will be written to have a central role in the > resolution of this story, coming back with Buffy. Poor tortured Spike. And > where will he be? In the midst of half a dozen delightfully healthy young > girls. It is like a starving man being taken to Morton's of Chicago and told > he can only have a bologna sandwich. --Not a problem, for someone who's a confirmed vegetarian as a matter of *principle* and who also gets severe headaches if he even tries to eat meat. I guess you forgot about Spike's soul, his guilt, his scruples, and his chip. The chip still works when the FE isn't overriding it. (Buffy and Spike misunderstood this fact during their bedroom conversation in NLM, but whether they know it or not, the chip does still work. Not that it matters, since Spike has a conscience and doesn't want to hurt humans.) What do you think Buffy should have done about Spike, by the way? *Not* taken him away from the FE's lair? Clairel

2003-01-07 21:13:16+00:00 - Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Carey <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com>)

2003-01-07 21:36:37-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

In article <3E1B7C6B.C1280B94@attbi.com>, "E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > Carey wrote: > > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy > > had armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, > > with the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient > > in strategy, planning or caution. > > If the Wildfeed summary is correct, Buffy didn't do that well with the > axe. The garotte worked because it also served to hold the turok-han in > place, I suspect. Buffy has always had a singular problem with strategy and tactics. She's a good fighter and that's about it. She has never seemed terribly bright. Whenever she runs into one of these major enemies (Glory, Adam, Turok-han, etc.) she punches and kicks them. When the punches and kicks have no effect and the enemy cleans her clock, what does she do the next time she meets that enemy? She punches and kicks it again. It's like she figures, "Well, last time I kicked Glory it didn't faze her a bit and she threw through a wall. Maybe this time when I kick her things will be different." Seems to me after the first round of ineffective punching and kicking and subsequent Buffy-getting-her-ass-kicked, she'd back off, regroup and figure out some other way of taking on her enemy. A few weeks ago she seemed perfectly willing to use an anti-tank weapon to kill a mere man when she was under a love spell. One has to wonder why that rocket launcher wasn't pulled off the top shelf of the weapons closet when it was time to face down the Turok-han. If a piece of barbed wire will pierce its skin and decapitate it, I'm sure a depleted uranium armor-piercing explosive would have done the trick nicely.

2003-01-07 22:12:09+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Botch <keyser@boardermail.com>)

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:15:24 GMT, "E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: >Carey wrote: >> >> I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had >> armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down >> without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with >> the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in >> strategy, planning or caution. > >If the Wildfeed summary is correct, Buffy didn't do that well with the >axe. The garotte worked because it also served to hold the turok-han in >place, I suspect. Better yet a bucket full of holy water to the head, then lop the head off with the bladed weapon of her choice. Botch

2003-01-07 23:36:29-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (igs622001@yahoo.com)

"Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... > If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. Oops... too late. :O > Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass > before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long fight > scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > regular person. Good thing she's the Slayer. > Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte > available with which to decapitate the vampire. That *was* lucky, wasn't it. > This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. A risky strategy, to be sure, but it seems to have worked. > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > strategy, planning or caution. Yes, well, that's pretty much always been the case. Buffy have never been much of a strategist. That was usually Giles' role. > And now we have Spike, who will be written to have a central role in the > resolution of this story, coming back with Buffy. Poor tortured Spike. And > where will he be? In the midst of half a dozen delightfully healthy young > girls. It is like a starving man being taken to Morton's of Chicago and told > he can only have a bologna sandwich. Well, it depends on how Buffy deals with it. Clearly, she felt she had an obligation to rescue Spike and that's understandable. However, having rescued him, she's clearly be a moron to leave him unrestrained when she's not there to deal with him if / when he loses control. Yeah, I know they had Buffy pull that stupid maneuver in NLM, but I'm hopeful she's wised up a bit. We'll see.

2003-01-07 23:58:27+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Carey wrote in message ... >If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > >Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass >before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long fight >scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are >regular person. > >Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte >available with which to decapitate the vampire. > >This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > >I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had >armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down >without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with >the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in >strategy, planning or caution. > >And now we have Spike, who will be written to have a central role in the >resolution of this story, coming back with Buffy. Poor tortured Spike. And >where will he be? In the midst of half a dozen delightfully healthy young >girls. It is like a starving man being taken to Morton's of Chicago and told >he can only have a bologna sandwich. I've only spent 2 days in Chicago (I did go to one restaurant in The Loop, very pseudo English gentleman's club), so could you be a sweetie and explain what's so great about "Morton's of Chicago"? I'm missing the point.

2003-01-08 00:38:36-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <3E1B5C17.3418BA42@rcn.com>, Carmikl <Carmikl@rcn.com> wrote: > Carey wrote: > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > without taking the hits. > > She probably should have taken Ubie out in their second meeting in the > last episode but Oops, she forgot her sword. She'd also had about 10 minutes sleep in the previous 3 days. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-08 00:47:13-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu>)

In article <1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>, reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: >What do you think Buffy should have done about Spike, by the way? Stake him. --------------------------------------------- David M. Nieporent nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu

2003-01-08 00:56:16+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Darwin Fish <a@a.edu>)

In article <DQJS9.100292$hK4.8137481@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > Carey wrote in message ... > >If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > > > >Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass > >before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long > fight > >scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > >regular person. > > > >Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte > >available with which to decapitate the vampire. > > > >This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > > > >I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > >armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > >without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > >the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > >strategy, planning or caution. > > > >And now we have Spike, who will be written to have a central role in the > >resolution of this story, coming back with Buffy. Poor tortured Spike. And > >where will he be? In the midst of half a dozen delightfully healthy young > >girls. It is like a starving man being taken to Morton's of Chicago and > told > >he can only have a bologna sandwich. > > I've only spent 2 days in Chicago (I did go to one restaurant in The > Loop, very pseudo English gentleman's club), so could you be a sweetie and > explain what's so great about "Morton's of Chicago"? > I'm missing the point. Beef, its what's for dinner. Huge steaks, huge everything and darn tasty if a tad expensive. Besides, their bologna sandwiches suck.... -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Let the Darwin Fishes swim! www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-01-08 01:09:20-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <3E1B7C6B.C1280B94@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > Carey wrote: > > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > > strategy, planning or caution. > > If the Wildfeed summary is correct, Buffy didn't do that well with the > axe. It was a pick, not an axe. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-08 01:09:20-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <3E1B7C6B.C1280B94@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > Carey wrote: > > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > > strategy, planning or caution. > > If the Wildfeed summary is correct, Buffy didn't do that well with the > axe. It was a pick, not an axe. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-08 01:15:24+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Carey wrote: > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > strategy, planning or caution. If the Wildfeed summary is correct, Buffy didn't do that well with the axe. The garotte worked because it also served to hold the turok-han in place, I suspect. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-08 03:09:57+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - ("A.J" <snowman1090@yahoo.com>)

"Darwin Fish" <a@a.edu> wrote in message news:a-06CD4B.18562607012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > In article > <DQJS9.100292$hK4.8137481@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, > "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > > > Carey wrote in message ... > > >If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > > > > > >Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass > > >before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long > > fight > > >scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > > >regular person. > > > > > >Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte > > >available with which to decapitate the vampire. > > > > > >This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > > > > > >I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > > >armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > >without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > > >the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > > >strategy, planning or caution. > > > > > >And now we have Spike, who will be written to have a central role in the > > >resolution of this story, coming back with Buffy. Poor tortured Spike. And > > >where will he be? In the midst of half a dozen delightfully healthy young > > >girls. It is like a starving man being taken to Morton's of Chicago and > > told > > >he can only have a bologna sandwich. > > > > I've only spent 2 days in Chicago (I did go to one restaurant in The > > Loop, very pseudo English gentleman's club), so could you be a sweetie and > > explain what's so great about "Morton's of Chicago"? > > I'm missing the point. > > Beef, its what's for dinner. Huge steaks, huge everything and darn tasty > if a tad expensive. Besides, their bologna sandwiches suck.... > > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Let the Darwin Fishes swim! > www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've lived in Chicago for a long time and have never heard of them. A.J

2003-01-08 07:20:53+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Darwin Fish <a@a.edu>)

In article <nieporen-F96F79.00471308012003@news-east.giganews.com>, David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote: > In article <1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>, > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > >What do you think Buffy should have done about Spike, by the way? > > Stake him. Spike's use as an ally is really limited. Sure, he's strong but he has all of a vampire's natural limitations plus he has to be tied down more often then Andrew since the FE can still do its little hypnotic song and dance to turn Spike into its personal buttmonkey. Nothing shown so far indicates that the FE's hypnotic conditioning has been broken. Even when Spike knew about it he still wasn't able to control himself. He's too dangerous to have around, just one single slip-up and its carnage all around. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Let the Darwin Fishes swim! www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-01-08 07:40:34-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>... > --Not a problem, for someone who's a confirmed vegetarian as a matter > of *principle* and who also gets severe headaches if he even tries to > eat meat. Don't forget, this person has been administered drugs which not only circumvented the headaches, but FORCED him to eat meat time and time again only days ago.

2003-01-08 10:04:54+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (T'h'a'd'd'e'u's L O'l'c'z'y'k <o>, l, c, z, y, k@interaccess.com)

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 22:12:09 +0000, Botch <keyser@boardermail.com> wrote: >On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:15:24 GMT, "E. Deirdre Brooks" ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > >>Carey wrote: >>> >>> I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had >>> armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down >>> without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with >>> the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in >>> strategy, planning or caution. >> >>If the Wildfeed summary is correct, Buffy didn't do that well with the >>axe. The garotte worked because it also served to hold the turok-han in >>place, I suspect. > > >Better yet a bucket full of holy water to the head, then lop the head >off with the bladed weapon of her choice. > > >Botch No a SuperSoaker.

2003-01-08 10:30:11-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <a-00CE79.01210508012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, Darwin Fish <a@a.edu> wrote: > In article <nieporen-F96F79.00471308012003@news-east.giganews.com>, > David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote: > > > In article <1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>, > > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote: > > > > >What do you think Buffy should have done about Spike, by the way? > > > > Stake him. > > Spike's use as an ally is really limited. Sure, he's strong but he has > all of a vampire's natural limitations plus he has to be tied down more > often then Andrew since the FE can still do its little hypnotic song and > dance to turn Spike into its personal buttmonkey. Nothing shown so far > indicates that the FE's hypnotic conditioning has been broken. Even when > Spike knew about it he still wasn't able to control himself. He's too > dangerous to have around, just one single slip-up and its carnage all > around. Part of what we saw over the past couple of episodes is that Spike has broken free from whatever hold the First had on him. Why keep him tied up if she could control him by just humming a few bars of "Early one Morning?" -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-08 11:39:57+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

T'h'a'd'd'e'u's L O'l'c'z'y'k wrote: > > No a SuperSoaker. I live for the day that Buffy and the Scoobies use HolySoakers. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-08 13:13:04-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com)

"Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... > If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > > Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass > before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long fight > scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > regular person. She was showing off that she could beat it without a sword, so the SITs (who all had weapons) would feel safer. > This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. Yyyyyeah...? > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had > armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with > the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in > strategy, planning or caution. She was cocky. She's the Slayer. She knew she could win. Incidentally, that was ED's voice in the telepathy scene. I'm just going to mention this obvious fact as often as possible.

2003-01-08 13:32:04-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - ("Rev. Cyohtee - O'k�home Ehohatse" <cyohtee@barbarian.org>)

Out of the ether "A.J" <snowman1090@yahoo.com> rose up and issued forth: >"Darwin Fish" <a@a.edu> wrote in message >news:a-06CD4B.18562607012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net... >> In article >> <DQJS9.100292$hK4.8137481@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, >> "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote: >> >> > Carey wrote in message ... >> > >If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. >> > > >> > >Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her >ass >> > >before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long >> > fight >> > >scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are >> > >regular person. >> > > >> > >Luckily, at the end of the fight there is a conveniently formed garotte >> > >available with which to decapitate the vampire. >> > > >> > >This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. >> > > >> > >I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy >had >> > >armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down >> > >without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, >with >> > >the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient >in >> > >strategy, planning or caution. >> > > >> > >And now we have Spike, who will be written to have a central role in >the >> > >resolution of this story, coming back with Buffy. Poor tortured Spike. >And >> > >where will he be? In the midst of half a dozen delightfully healthy >young >> > >girls. It is like a starving man being taken to Morton's of Chicago and >> > told >> > >he can only have a bologna sandwich. >> > >> > I've only spent 2 days in Chicago (I did go to one restaurant in The >> > Loop, very pseudo English gentleman's club), so could you be a sweetie >and >> > explain what's so great about "Morton's of Chicago"? >> > I'm missing the point. >> >> Beef, its what's for dinner. Huge steaks, huge everything and darn tasty >> if a tad expensive. Besides, their bologna sandwiches suck.... >> >> -- >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------- >> Let the Darwin Fishes swim! >> www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >I've lived in Chicago for a long time and have never heard of them. > >A.J > Then you must be living under a rock and not ever exposing yourself to the outside world :) But seriously, Morton's is almost world famous. I have spoken to people from all over the world who know the name. It is often mentioned on radio and television in the Chicago area. While I know there will always be people who don't pay attention to fine dining in their area who will not know the name off hand, it is far from obscure. In fact, they are, these days, a major chain with restaurants in (according to their website, http://www.mortons.com)... Atlanta - Buckhead Atlanta - Downtown Baltimore Beverly Hills Boca Raton Boston Burbank, CA Charlotte Chicago - Downtown Chicago - Rosemont Chicago - Schaumburg Chicago - Westchester Cincinnati Cleveland Columbus Dallas - Addison Dallas - Downtown West End Denver Denver - Tech Center Detroit/Southfield Hackensack, NJ Hartford Hong Kong - Central Hong Kong - Kowloon Honolulu Houston Indianapolis Jacksonville Kansas City King of Prussia, PA Las Vegas Long Island - Great Neck Los Angeles Louisville Miami Miami - North Miami Beach Minneapolis Nashville New Orleans New York - Midtown Manhattan Orlando Palm Beach Palm Desert Philadelphia Phoenix Phoenix - Scottsdale Pittsburgh Portland Richmond,VA and Coming Soon -- Sacramento San Antonio San Diego San Francisco San Juan, P.R. Santa Ana Seattle Singapore Stamford St. Louis - Clayton Toronto Vancouver Washington, D.C. - Arlington Washington, D.C. - Tysons Corner Washington, D.C. - Downtown Washington, D.C. - Georgetown Washington, D.C. - Reston -- Cyo cyohtee@ucan.foad.org http://www.barbarian.org/~cyohtee http://www.barbarian.org "Great at friendship, bad at intimacy." - Jerry McGuire

2003-01-08 17:08:33-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

In article <a6dd0bff.0301081313.5cbbac59@posting.google.com>, wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com (Wally Rosenberg) wrote: > "Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message > news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... > > If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. > > > > Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her > > ass before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long > > fight scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are > > regular person. > > She was showing off that she could beat it without a sword, so the > SITs (who all had weapons) would feel safer. If I were one of those girls, I'd feel a heck of a lot safer if I saw my leader use her brains and kill it without getting her ass kicked and nearly killed first. Since they are NOT Slayers and don't have Buffy's strength and stamina, it would go a long way toward making them feel better if they saw that these things can be killed WITHOUT having to fight them hand-to-hand. > > This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > > Yyyyyeah...? > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy > > had armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, > > with the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient > > in strategy, planning or caution. > > She was cocky. She's the Slayer. She knew she could win. But the girls aren't Slayers. How is that supposed to make them feel better about themselves?

2003-01-08 17:20:11-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <BTR1702-3E4D20.17083308012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > In article <a6dd0bff.0301081313.5cbbac59@posting.google.com>, > wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com (Wally Rosenberg) wrote: > > > "Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message > > news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy > > > had armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down > > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, > > > with the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously > > > deficient > > > in strategy, planning or caution. > > > > She was cocky. She's the Slayer. She knew she could win. > > But the girls aren't Slayers. How is that supposed to make them feel > better about themselves? "Hey. The girl we've got protecting us *is* damn good in a fight. It isn't hopeless. We might just survive this after all." -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-08 17:37:36-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu>)

In article <5aa58763.0301072336.507bd68a@posting.google.com>, igs622001@yahoo.com (Ian) wrote: >"Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message >> I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had >> armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down >> without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with >> the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in >> strategy, planning or caution. >Yes, well, that's pretty much always been the case. Buffy have never >been much of a strategist. That was usually Giles' role. The scary thing is, Buffy was much more of a strategist than Faith. --------------------------------------------- David M. Nieporent nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu

2003-01-08 18:37:34-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Chelsea Christenson <Chelsea.Christenson@oracle.com>)

"Rev. Cyohtee - O'k�home Ehohatse" wrote: > In fact, they are, these days, a major chain with restaurants in > (according to their website, http://www.mortons.com)... > > Atlanta - Buckhead > Atlanta - Downtown > Baltimore > Beverly Hills > Boca Raton > Boston > Burbank, CA > Charlotte > Chicago - Downtown > Chicago - Rosemont > Chicago - Schaumburg > Chicago - Westchester > Cincinnati > Cleveland > Columbus > Dallas - Addison > Dallas - Downtown West End > Denver > Denver - Tech Center > Detroit/Southfield > Hackensack, NJ > Hartford > Hong Kong - Central > Hong Kong - Kowloon > Honolulu > Houston > Indianapolis > Jacksonville > Kansas City > King of Prussia, PA > Las Vegas > Long Island - Great Neck > Los Angeles > Louisville > Miami > Miami - North Miami Beach > Minneapolis > Nashville > New Orleans > New York - Midtown Manhattan > Orlando > Palm Beach > Palm Desert > Philadelphia > Phoenix > Phoenix - Scottsdale > Pittsburgh > Portland > Richmond,VA > > and Coming Soon -- > > Sacramento > San Antonio > San Diego > San Francisco > San Juan, P.R. > Santa Ana > Seattle > Singapore > Stamford > St. Louis - Clayton > Toronto > Vancouver > Washington, D.C. - Arlington > Washington, D.C. - Tysons Corner > Washington, D.C. - Downtown > Washington, D.C. - Georgetown > Washington, D.C. - Reston They expanded in alphabetical order?

2003-01-08 18:58:58-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

In article <080120031817193516%dsample@synapse.net>, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > In article <BTR1702-3E4D20.17083308012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, BTR1701 > <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > > > In article <a6dd0bff.0301081313.5cbbac59@posting.google.com>, > > wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com (Wally Rosenberg) wrote: > > > > > "Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message > > > news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>.. > > > . > > > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if > > > > Buffy had armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the > > > > vampire down > > > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or > > > > Xander, with the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously > > > > deficient in strategy, planning or caution. > > > > > > She was cocky. She's the Slayer. She knew she could win. > > > > But the girls aren't Slayers. How is that supposed to make them feel > > better about themselves? > > "Hey. The girl we've got protecting us *is* damn good in a fight. It > isn't hopeless. We might just survive this after all." Or: "Hey. The girl we've got protecting us *is* damn good in a fight but also is smart enough to know how to think strategically and tactically and on the off-chance she doesn't make it, she's shown us that we can protect ourselves without needing to be the Slayer. It isn't hopeless. We might just survive this after all."

2003-01-08 21:03:41-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:49:36 GMT, quester@infi.net (Harold Groot) wrote: >Apparently there were two versions - the Wildfeed version was not the >same as the broadcast version. The broadcast version in the USA had >SMG's voice, the wildfeed apparently had ED's voice. There's a link >in another thread to a place where the two versions are available - >even the wording is slightly different. Pardon me, my eyes just rolled so hard I think one's stuck backwards in my skull.

2003-01-08 23:49:36+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (quester@infi.net)

On 8 Jan 2003 13:13:04 -0800, wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com (Wally Rosenberg) wrote: >"Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>... >> If you don't want to read this, you should not have opened it. >> >> Buffy faces off against this ancient vampire, which easily kicked her ass >> before. She does so unarmed so that the viewers can have an extra long fight >> scene where she repeatedly absorbs blows that would cripple or kill are >> regular person. > >She was showing off that she could beat it without a sword, so the >SITs (who all had weapons) would feel safer. > >> This was done, we learn, to inspire the troops. > >Yyyyyeah...? > >> I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if Buffy had >> armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the vampire down >> without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or Xander, with >> the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously deficient in >> strategy, planning or caution. > >She was cocky. She's the Slayer. She knew she could win. > >Incidentally, that was ED's voice in the telepathy scene. I'm just >going to mention this obvious fact as often as possible. Apparently there were two versions - the Wildfeed version was not the same as the broadcast version. The broadcast version in the USA had SMG's voice, the wildfeed apparently had ED's voice. There's a link in another thread to a place where the two versions are available - even the wording is slightly different.

2003-01-09 01:05:29-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (nardo218@yahoo.com)

"E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3E1C0ED8.356439D4@attbi.com>... > T'h'a'd'd'e'u's L O'l'c'z'y'k wrote: > > > > No a SuperSoaker. > > I live for the day that Buffy and the Scoobies use HolySoakers. Lol! Try the video game! Hellfire AND holywater, in one handy supersoaker (and fits in your back pocket next to your tatoo). I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to break out some new weapondry! Aura

2003-01-09 02:02:54-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com)

BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<BTR1702-2368C1.18585808012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>... > In article <080120031817193516%dsample@synapse.net>, Don Sample > <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > > > In article <BTR1702-3E4D20.17083308012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, BTR1701 > > <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > > > > > In article <a6dd0bff.0301081313.5cbbac59@posting.google.com>, > > > wallyrosenberg@hotmail.com (Wally Rosenberg) wrote: > > > > > > > "Carey" <no*tedjr*spam@rogers.com> wrote in message > > > > news:<MpHS9.234519$F2h1.126946@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>.. > > > > . > > > > > > I hope that at least one of the troops brings up the fact that if > > > > > Buffy had armed herself with even a sword, she could have taken the > > > > > vampire down > > > > > without taking the hits. They might want to look to Giles or > > > > > Xander, with the thought that Buffy might be good muscle, she is obviously > > > > > deficient in strategy, planning or caution. > > > > > > > > She was cocky. She's the Slayer. She knew she could win. > > > > > > But the girls aren't Slayers. How is that supposed to make them feel > > > better about themselves? > > > > "Hey. The girl we've got protecting us *is* damn good in a fight. It > > isn't hopeless. We might just survive this after all." > > > Or: > > "Hey. The girl we've got protecting us *is* damn good in a fight but > also is smart enough to know how to think strategically and tactically > and on the off-chance she doesn't make it, she's shown us that we can > protect ourselves without needing to be the Slayer. It isn't hopeless. > We might just survive this after all." Or: "I'm bored of this crap! Look, she's nearly killed it now, it's a done deal. They've got telepathy anyway. Let's go and get something to eat!"

2003-01-09 02:21:59-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Sine <jaemd@sympatico.ca>)

Sounded like Michelle T. to me. :-) -- "The Poet beat the Demon." (Robert Myers) "Rick S" <rick-sam@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:Xns92FDC54A0369Aricksamshawca@24.71.223.159... > forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote in > news:53mp1vg98jdeg4mcpfhd5nnoviffc86qku@4ax.com: > > > On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:49:36 GMT, quester@infi.net (Harold Groot) > > wrote: > > > >>Apparently there were two versions - the Wildfeed version was not the > >>same as the broadcast version. The broadcast version in the USA had > >>SMG's voice, the wildfeed apparently had ED's voice. There's a link > >>in another thread to a place where the two versions are available - > >>even the wording is slightly different. > > > > Pardon me, my eyes just rolled so hard I think one's stuck backwards > > in my skull. > > You should get your eyes fixed, but I want to know what your brain looks > like first. > > In any case, Harold is correct except that the voice SOUNDED like ED, > it's not proven that it WAS ED. > > -- > Rick S. > Calgary, Alberta > rick-sam@shaw.ca >

2003-01-09 02:23:39+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca>)

2003-01-09 08:13:01+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Rick S <rick-sam@shaw.ca>)

"Sine" <jaemd@sympatico.ca> wrote in news:mF9T9.2336$Yr2.900341@news20.bellglobal.com: > Sounded like Michelle T. to me. :-) You think so? I listened again, the voice is in her range more or less, but that's not the way MT sounds, I think MT is more nasal. -- Rick S. Calgary, Alberta rick-sam@shaw.ca

2003-01-09 09:00:44-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (tmccartney66@yahoo.com)

BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<BTR1702-3E4D20.17083308012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>... > Since they are NOT Slayers and don't have Buffy's strength and stamina, > it would go a long way toward making them feel better if they saw that > these things can be killed WITHOUT having to fight them hand-to-hand. I was sure the plan was to somehow trap that thing in the construction site until daybreak. Tracey

2003-01-09 23:15:27-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net>)

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:12:25 GMT, sillyman@famous.com wrote: >>> I was sure the plan was to somehow trap that thing in the construction >>> site until daybreak. >> >>Really? What makes you sure of that? > >Actually that occured to me too. Buffy has seen it back down from the >rising sun before. A blank wall facing east and no way out of the pit >equals a steaming mound of dust. Pretty unlikely that Buffy and Scoobs >could hold it there all night though. That's exactly what I was expecting.

2003-01-10 10:13:28+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - ("E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com>)

Ice Queen wrote: > > "E. Deirdre Brooks" <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3E1C0ED8.356439D4@attbi.com>... > > T'h'a'd'd'e'u's L O'l'c'z'y'k wrote: > > > > > > No a SuperSoaker. > > > > I live for the day that Buffy and the Scoobies use HolySoakers. > > Lol! Try the video game! Hellfire AND holywater, in one handy > supersoaker (and fits in your back pocket next to your tatoo). As soon as I get myself an X-Box, Buffy is the *first* game I get. > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to > break out some new weapondry! I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would like to see some more creativity in the slayage. -- E. D. Brooks | kalimagdalene@attbi.com | US2002021724 Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG AeonAdventure | "Why, in my day, we used to fight the Lord of Terror with nothing but a sharp stick!" -- www.reallifecomics.com

2003-01-10 10:50:09-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <3E1E9D92.B9128915@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks <kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > Ice Queen wrote: > > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. > > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to > > break out some new weapondry! > > I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would > like to see some more creativity in the slayage. Never seen Buffy garotte anyone before, and a few weeks ago she was all with the eye gouging. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-10 14:03:38-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (EGK <egk@hotmail.com>)

On 10 Jan 2003 10:50:09 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >In article <3E1E9D92.B9128915@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > >> Ice Queen wrote: > >> > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. >> > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to >> > break out some new weapondry! >> >> I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would >> like to see some more creativity in the slayage. > >Never seen Buffy garotte anyone before, and a few weeks ago she was all >with the eye gouging. For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of the mill demons and vamps she meets. My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. The fight scenes have become boring and repetitious like the usual hong kong martial arts movies. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)

2003-01-10 14:58:54-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (reldevik@usa.net)

bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote in message news:<24ab6293.0301080740.3d6563e7@posting.google.com>... > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>... > > > --Not a problem, for someone who's a confirmed vegetarian as a matter > > of *principle* and who also gets severe headaches if he even tries to > > eat meat. > > Don't forget, this person has been administered drugs which not only > circumvented the headaches, but FORCED him to eat meat time and time > again only days ago. --That's all over with, though. Even if it weren't, all Buffy has to do is keep Spike securely chained up again, as she did before. To think of her *not* rescuing Spike is just silly and shows a lack of attention to the nature of the personal relationship between the two characters. Clairel

2003-01-10 16:24:14-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <cv5u1vc9v1j5l6ia9mc951hp35mre6sth5@4ax.com>, EGK <egk@hotmail.com> wrote: > On 10 Jan 2003 10:50:09 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > > >In article <3E1E9D92.B9128915@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks > ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > > > >> Ice Queen wrote: > > > >> > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. > >> > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to > >> > break out some new weapondry! > >> > >> I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would > >> like to see some more creativity in the slayage. > > > >Never seen Buffy garotte anyone before, and a few weeks ago she was all > >with the eye gouging. > > For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. > Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of the > mill demons and vamps she meets. > My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's > need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. Or back to _The Harvest_: "You forgot about one thing. Sunrise! ... It's in about nine hours, moron." -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-10 17:20:56-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Joe Curwen <jcurwen@freeonline.com>)

In article <gbnu1v83urq9249riv77rljo0tqcomivmh@4ax.com>, EGK says... > >On 10 Jan 2003 16:24:14 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > >>In article <cv5u1vc9v1j5l6ia9mc951hp35mre6sth5@4ax.com>, EGK >><egk@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >>> On 10 Jan 2003 10:50:09 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >>> >>> >In article <3E1E9D92.B9128915@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks >>> ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: >>> > >>> >> Ice Queen wrote: >>> > >>> >> > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. >>> >> > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to >>> >> > break out some new weapondry! >>> >> >>> >> I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would >>> >> like to see some more creativity in the slayage. >>> > >>> >Never seen Buffy garotte anyone before, and a few weeks ago she was all >>> >with the eye gouging. >>> >>> For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. >>> Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of the >>> mill demons and vamps she meets. >>> My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's >>> need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. >> >>Or back to _The Harvest_: >> >> "You forgot about one thing. Sunrise! ... It's in about nine >> hours, moron." > >Oh, yeah. Another perfect example. They don't do much of that anymore. >Instead they favor the jumping around fight scenes that make chop socky >movies so silly. >Personally, the only time the extended fight scenes really worked for me was >with Pruitt directing and Sophia Crawford doubling Sarah. > That's a big 10-4. They also bring the camera in really close, so that they don't have to have the stunt people do as much and so they can cover mistakes with editing. As a result, the fight scenes now seem more "patched" together and are interspersed with more facial reaction shots. They rarely use props anymore either; an exception this season was when Buffy whipped around that bag of bricks to fight some ghosts. The Pruitt/Crawford fight scenes on the other hand were exciting and way above average for anything seen on TV. I rewatched Choices today, and marveled at how fun and well done the fight scene was with Buffy, Angel and the Vampires over the Box of Gavroc (I think that is what it was called) in the Mayor's conference room. I can't imagine how they had time to practice something that extended and involved, but that's what they used to do back then, every week. Joe

2003-01-10 18:58:31-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (EGK <egk@hotmail.com>)

On 10 Jan 2003 16:24:14 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >In article <cv5u1vc9v1j5l6ia9mc951hp35mre6sth5@4ax.com>, EGK ><egk@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> On 10 Jan 2003 10:50:09 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >> >> >In article <3E1E9D92.B9128915@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks >> ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: >> > >> >> Ice Queen wrote: >> > >> >> > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. >> >> > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to >> >> > break out some new weapondry! >> >> >> >> I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would >> >> like to see some more creativity in the slayage. >> > >> >Never seen Buffy garotte anyone before, and a few weeks ago she was all >> >with the eye gouging. >> >> For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. >> Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of the >> mill demons and vamps she meets. >> My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's >> need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. > >Or back to _The Harvest_: > > "You forgot about one thing. Sunrise! ... It's in about nine > hours, moron." Oh, yeah. Another perfect example. They don't do much of that anymore. Instead they favor the jumping around fight scenes that make chop socky movies so silly. Personally, the only time the extended fight scenes really worked for me was with Pruitt directing and Sophia Crawford doubling Sarah. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)

2003-01-10 22:31:51-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (igs622001@yahoo.com)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0301101458.3f900176@posting.google.com>... > bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote in message news:<24ab6293.0301080740.3d6563e7@posting.google.com>... > > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>... > > > > > --Not a problem, for someone who's a confirmed vegetarian as a matter > > > of *principle* and who also gets severe headaches if he even tries to > > > eat meat. > > > > Don't forget, this person has been administered drugs which not only > > circumvented the headaches, but FORCED him to eat meat time and time > > again only days ago. > > --That's all over with, though. Even if it weren't, all Buffy has to > do is keep Spike securely chained up again, as she did before. To > think of her *not* rescuing Spike is just silly and shows a lack of > attention to the nature of the personal relationship between the two > characters. > > Clairel Yeah, c'mon Nightbaron. Pay attention!

2003-01-11 00:35:24-06:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <gbnu1v83urq9249riv77rljo0tqcomivmh@4ax.com>, EGK <egk@hotmail.com> wrote: > On 10 Jan 2003 16:24:14 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > > >In article <cv5u1vc9v1j5l6ia9mc951hp35mre6sth5@4ax.com>, EGK > ><egk@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > >> For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. > >> Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of > >> the mill demons and vamps she meets. > >> My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's > >> need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. > > > >Or back to _The Harvest_: > > > > "You forgot about one thing. Sunrise! ... It's in about nine > > hours, moron." > > Oh, yeah. Another perfect example. They don't do much of that anymore. > Instead they favor the jumping around fight scenes that make chop socky > movies so silly. > Personally, the only time the extended fight scenes really worked for me was > with Pruitt directing and Sophia Crawford doubling Sarah. And I thought that the Sophia/Pruitt fights were getting stale. In seasons three and four I could watch a fight scene, and pretty much on the first viewing I could go: Sophia...Sophia...Sarah...Sophia...Sophia...Sarah... It's has actually gotten tougher to do that in later seasons. I think they could probably use another shakeup in the stunt department, but it has nothing to do with with who the stunt coordinator is, or who's doing the stunts. -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2003-01-11 09:11:05-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (bergeg@parl.gc.ca)

reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0301101458.3f900176@posting.google.com>... > bergeg@parl.gc.ca (NightBaron) wrote in message news:<24ab6293.0301080740.3d6563e7@posting.google.com>... > > reldevik@usa.net (Clairel) wrote in message news:<1faed770.0301071932.10db50e2@posting.google.com>... > > > > > --Not a problem, for someone who's a confirmed vegetarian as a matter > > > of *principle* and who also gets severe headaches if he even tries to > > > eat meat. > > > > Don't forget, this person has been administered drugs which not only > > circumvented the headaches, but FORCED him to eat meat time and time > > again only days ago. > > --That's all over with, though. Even if it weren't, all Buffy has to > do is keep Spike securely chained up again, as she did before. To > think of her *not* rescuing Spike is just silly and shows a lack of > attention to the nature of the personal relationship between the two > characters. I don't have a problem with Buffy rescuing Spike, after all she'd rescue any of her entourage, whether they were delusional or not. I was only refuting your argument that bringing Spike into that house was not dangerous since Spike got a soul.

2003-01-11 10:28:08+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (Botch <keyser@boardermail.com>)

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:00:59 -0800, BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote: >In article <25h02v85f9el3nnge4f7hul3nenbb9fuuu@4ax.com>, EGK ><egk@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> The only reason it's gotten tougher now is because they show more closeup >> shots of Sarah. To me she comes across as so unathletic that it takes >> away from the fight scenes. I just can't help it. All through the series >> whenever they show her running I just burst out laughing. Other people >> have commented on this when they've shown Sarah punching. They need all the >> Hollywood magic they can get to turn her in to the slayer. > >The worst shots are the ones like in "Once More With Feeling" when she's >punching the heavy bag. Her punches are so obviously weak and >ineffectual coming from those scawny little arms that it totally >destroys the "Slayer mystique" they're trying to build. > >> As an aside, I wonder who does the stunt work for Jennifer Garner on >> Alias and how much she does on her own. Those strike me as much, much more >> believable then the fight scenes on Buffy and less easy to tell when it's >> a stunt person. > >The fight scenes on Alias are amazing. Those are what Buffy's fight >scenes should be. Of course it helps the illusion when the actress isn't >a waif-thin twig but rather a very athletic and toned woman. > >It's too bad that the Alias show itself is so mind-bogglingly ridiculous >that I'd sooner believe in vampires than in SD-6. I'd like to see someone do that chair flip in real life like she did in the pilot of the show. Botch

2003-01-11 11:00:59-08:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

2003-01-11 11:29:51-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (EGK <egk@hotmail.com>)

On 11 Jan 2003 00:35:24 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >In article <gbnu1v83urq9249riv77rljo0tqcomivmh@4ax.com>, EGK ><egk@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> On 10 Jan 2003 16:24:14 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: >> >> >In article <cv5u1vc9v1j5l6ia9mc951hp35mre6sth5@4ax.com>, EGK >> ><egk@hotmail.com> wrote: >> > >> >> For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. >> >> Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of >> >> the mill demons and vamps she meets. >> >> My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's >> >> need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. >> > >> >Or back to _The Harvest_: >> > >> > "You forgot about one thing. Sunrise! ... It's in about nine >> > hours, moron." >> >> Oh, yeah. Another perfect example. They don't do much of that anymore. >> Instead they favor the jumping around fight scenes that make chop socky >> movies so silly. >> Personally, the only time the extended fight scenes really worked for me was >> with Pruitt directing and Sophia Crawford doubling Sarah. > >And I thought that the Sophia/Pruitt fights were getting stale. That's when Pruitt's own ego seemed to take over I think. I didn't say I liked all of them he did but his fight scenes are the only extended ones I really remember from the show. The scenes in Anne are the best fight scenes in the whole show as far as i'm concerned. >In >seasons three and four I could watch a fight scene, and pretty much on >the first viewing I could go: > >Sophia...Sophia...Sarah...Sophia...Sophia...Sarah... I know other people have said that and I only really noticed it after they did because then I was looking for it. >It's has actually gotten tougher to do that in later seasons. I think >they could probably use another shakeup in the stunt department, but it >has nothing to do with with who the stunt coordinator is, or who's >doing the stunts. The only reason it's gotten tougher now is because they show more closeup shots of Sarah. To me she comes across as so unathletic that it takes away from the fight scenes. I just can't help it. All through the series whenever they show her running I just burst out laughing. Other people have commented on this when they've shown Sarah punching. They need all the Hollywood magic they can get to turn her in to the slayer. As an aside, I wonder who does the stunt work for Jennifer Garner on Alias and how much she does on her own. Those strike me as much, much more believable then the fight scenes on Buffy and less easy to tell when it's a stunt person. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you" - (Calvin and Hobbes)

2003-01-11 18:44:13-05:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (David Marc Nieporent <nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu>)

In article <i6is1v4pohslen06f5e5v1670gvb3607f4@4ax.com>, forge <bake455@spamsucks.bellsouth.net> wrote: >On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:12:25 GMT, sillyman@famous.com wrote: >>>> I was sure the plan was to somehow trap that thing in the construction >>>> site until daybreak. >>>Really? What makes you sure of that? >>Actually that occured to me too. Buffy has seen it back down from the >>rising sun before. A blank wall facing east and no way out of the pit >>equals a steaming mound of dust. Pretty unlikely that Buffy and Scoobs >>could hold it there all night though. >That's exactly what I was expecting. Me three. --------------------------------------------- David M. Nieporent nieporen@alumni.princeton.edu

2003-01-13 02:44:25+00:00 - Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid - Showtime spoiler warning - (pashworth@mindspring.com)

Sometime, EGK wrote: > On 10 Jan 2003 10:50:09 -0600, Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote: > > >In article <3E1E9D92.B9128915@attbi.com>, E. Deirdre Brooks > ><kalimagdalene@attbi.com> wrote: > > > >> Ice Queen wrote: > > > >> > I agree with you, that I SO wish we could see new ways to kill stuff. > >> > Punch, kick, stake. <yawn> The ubervamp was a perfect opportunity to > >> > break out some new weapondry! > >> > >> I don't mind the lack of new weaponry with the ubervamp, but I would > >> like to see some more creativity in the slayage. > > > >Never seen Buffy garotte anyone before, and a few weeks ago she was all > >with the eye gouging. > > For me the creativity would be out-smarting an adversary for a change. > Especially one that's been built up to be so much superior to the run of the > mill demons and vamps she meets. > My favorite example of this is Helpless when she takes notice of Kralick's > need for his pills and gets him to drink the holy water. Oh, good--I thought I was going to mention that one. (and if there is anything less conducive to commentint than typing, it would be the graffiti alphabet) -- Pardon my typing, I'm using a Palm (small stick on itsy keypad)