FLM films - My Webpage

2002-12-09 16:59:27-08:00 - OT: the phrase "You and whose army?" - (wgemini@hotmail.com)

I was just revisiting my Forever Knight video tape. After Lacroix said he was going to stop her, Divia laughed at him, "Are you going to stop me? General? You and as they say, whose army?". Is there a story behind this phrase?

2002-12-09 19:54:28-06:00 - Re: OT: the phrase "You and whose army?" - (Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net>)

In article <ce8c6743.0212091659.135356c4@posting.google.com>, W Gemini <wgemini@hotmail.com> wrote: > I was just revisiting my Forever Knight video tape. After Lacroix said > he was going to stop her, Divia laughed at him, "Are you going to stop > me? General? You and as they say, whose army?". Is there a story > behind this phrase? It's just a fairly common turn of phrase. "I'm going to kick your ass!" "Yeah? You and whose army?" -- Don Sample, dsample@synapse.net Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/ Quando omni flunkus moritati

2002-12-10 01:41:35+00:00 - Re: OT: the phrase "You and whose army?" - (tmcd@panix.com)

In article <ce8c6743.0212091659.135356c4@posting.google.com>, W Gemini <wgemini@hotmail.com> wrote: >I was just revisiting my Forever Knight video tape. After Lacroix >said he was going to stop her, Divia laughed at him, "Are you going >to stop me? General? You and as they say, whose army?". Is there a >story behind this phrase? No, there isn't a story behind it, not that I've heard. "You and what army?" is just a common saying (meaning derision for someone's efforts esp. at opposing one) and has been for years. -- Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com; tmcd@us.ibm.com is my work address

2002-12-10 03:19:52+00:00 - Re: OT: the phrase "You and whose army?" - (Robert Scott Clark <clarkrs@mindspring.com>)

Don Sample <dsample@synapse.net> wrote in news:091220022051481748% dsample@synapse.net: > In article <ce8c6743.0212091659.135356c4@posting.google.com>, W Gemini > <wgemini@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> I was just revisiting my Forever Knight video tape. After Lacroix said >> he was going to stop her, Divia laughed at him, "Are you going to stop >> me? General? You and as they say, whose army?". Is there a story >> behind this phrase? > > It's just a fairly common turn of phrase. > > "I'm going to kick your ass!" > "Yeah? You and whose army?" > I've heard it more commonly as "you and what army."

2002-12-10 04:18:56+00:00 - Re: OT: the phrase "You and whose army?" - ("Robert A. Barr" <robert.barr@who.needs.to.know>)

2002-12-10 09:59:38+00:00 - Re: the phrase "You and whose army?" - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

W Gemini wrote in message ... >I was just revisiting my Forever Knight video tape. After Lacroix said >he was going to stop her, Divia laughed at him, "Are you going to stop >me? General? You and as they say, whose army?". Is there a story >behind this phrase? No. It's just this general US high school phrase. Someone says they'll do something, usually violent, and the standard reply is "Oh yeah? You and whose army?", meaning "you can't make that threat good without an army to back you up, so which one do you have?". OK, so really, let's get historical: back in 690BC, the Boeticians threatened to take the Spartans' Asparagus crop in revenge for the infamous Spartan cucumber raid of 691BC. The Spartan reply was "You and whose army?", and the Boetian reply "Ours!" caused such howls of derisive laughter from the entire Pelloponese and Attica that the Boeticans gave up their invasion plan and the phrase has come down to modern times. And that's the truth.

2002-12-10 13:13:28+00:00 - Re: OT: the phrase "You and whose army?" - (stephen.bvs@stempest.demon.co.uk)

"Robert A. Barr" <robert.barr@who.needs.to.know> writes: >> Is there a story >> behind this phrase? > >Maybe Hitler's comment about 'How many divisions has the pope?' Wrong genocidal dictator. It was Stalin. (According to Churchill's history of WW2, anyway) Stephen