FLM films - My Webpage

2003-03-14 12:18:48-08:00 - Faith isn't going to die! - (amelia_e@ihug.com.au)

It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz from it, really out of it. Faith faught like.. well, like a girl with Angelus .. anyone else thinking that this is how they are going to bring Angelus back into the fold .. err .. cell? Faith with super-slayer strength can hold off the effects of drugs etc (I am guessing) more than usual humans. There was no reason for Wes to explain about how the whole drug thing works, it actually struck me as kinda odd at the time that he did. But in this context, if this is what happens (and I don't know, I am not spoiler-girl, this is just what I think)then it does make sense. One last thing - yeah yeah, vamps don't have a beating heart, therefore shooting up drugs into their blood stream wouldn't do jack .. so hey - nice trick that they can bring them down with a tranquiliser. Merely another example of the writers not being too crash hot on the sciencey stuff, but hey if they did have a good grasp of it they would be sciencey folk, not writers. Lastly, and a tad off-topic, surely to God someone must start thinking about how the master knows exactly what they are doing all the time (Angelus said that the Master told him that Wes & Faith were at the shop, going back a bit to when Manny was torn apart, Angelus knows that the Master contrived the de-souling, which means he must be close, "the answer is among you" .. well - everything!). Well almost lastly .. beginning to wonder just how strong this Master bloke really is. Cheers, Amelia.

2003-03-14 14:29:08-06:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - ("RIck Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@hotnospammail.com>)

Ever? ------------------------------------ There is no infection here. ------------------------------------

2003-03-14 14:29:08-06:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - ("RIck Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@hotnospammail.com>)

Ever? ------------------------------------ There is no infection here. ------------------------------------

2003-03-14 20:54:33+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (ashleyquin@aol.com)

not to mention, spike big on the getting hammered on alcohol

2003-03-14 23:49:57+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Peter Cowan <pccowan@btopenworld.com>)

"Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... > It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation > etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from > her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how > Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz > from it, really out of it. > rest of post snipped... And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have just gone out......uhhhh? Peter Hint - a little bit of spoiler warning wouldn't go amiss PS - Good point re the non-heart beating and use of tranquiliser darts. However, it could be that vampires are a single compartment pharmacokinetic model with rapid diffusion within that compartment - in humans that is typically the bloodstream. Maybe vampire cell physiology differs - cells could act like blotting paper with the drug being rapidly diffused within the entire body.

2003-03-15 01:05:55-08:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (amelia_e@ihug.com.au)

"Peter Cowan" <pccowan@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<b4tpr5$fn$1@knossos.btinternet.com>... > "Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message > news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... > > It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation > > etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from > > her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how > > Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz > > from it, really out of it. > > > rest of post snipped... > > > > And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have just > gone out......uhhhh? > > Peter > Hint - a little bit of spoiler warning wouldn't go amiss > > PS - Good point re the non-heart beating and use of tranquiliser darts. > However, it could be that vampires are a single compartment pharmacokinetic > model with rapid diffusion within that compartment - in humans that is > typically the bloodstream. Maybe vampire cell physiology differs - cells > could act like blotting paper with the drug being rapidly diffused within > the entire body. Sorry about that. Am really used to Australia being the last place that gets any show, so now that I download it I suppose I didn't think of it. My apologies. Re the tranquiliser thing. Nice idea, and very impressive use of pharmacokinetic (the most unlikely word to ever be used validly in a Buffy newsgroup? ;o) .. but in the end, I do not think that it would make the two consistent. Let me make this clear - I am not hung up on this, I know it is just a show, and I am not abusing the writers. It was simply something I noticed, and I think that your response is interesting. So, hypothetically ... If what you said were so, then it wouldn't matter if they drank the drug or shot it into their arm (or head, little toe or belly button), it would still simply diffuse throughout their body. Whatcha think? Amelia.

2003-03-15 03:15:59+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Peter Cowan wrote in message ... > >"Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message >news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... >> It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation >> etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from >> her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how >> Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz >> from it, really out of it. >> >rest of post snipped... > > > >And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have just >gone out......uhhhh? You could stop reading posts in a newsgroup where programmes are discussed as soon as they air, or even earlier from satellite download spoilers. See? It's so easy. If you don't like reading stuff, don't go where it's posted. Or are you one of those people who read "Warning: Land Mines!" as "Please climb over the barbed wire and have a stroll"?

2003-03-15 22:10:38+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Peter Cowan <pccowan@btopenworld.com>)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:PVwca.7492$S%3.433445@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > > Peter Cowan wrote in message ... > > > >"Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message > >news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... > >> It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation > >> etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from > >> her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how > >> Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz > >> from it, really out of it. > >> > >rest of post snipped... > > > > > > > >And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have > just > >gone out......uhhhh? > > You could stop reading posts in a newsgroup where programmes are > discussed as soon as they air, or even earlier from satellite download > spoilers. > See? It's so easy. If you don't like reading stuff, don't go where > it's posted. > Or are you one of those people who read "Warning: Land Mines!" as > "Please climb over the barbed wire and have a stroll"? > Personally I don't give a toss - with the timelag between US airing and availabilty on Video in the Uk (about 6 months or so) , I've got used to reading things about epsiodes I haven't seen. However, topics discussed in this newsgroup are wide ranging and not always about recent eps. In many cases people do put in spoiler alerts. As for the personal comments. The first, I think I have just addressed. The second. - when I was growing up, I had a friend. His father would appear on parade (our parents being in the army) with a fancy cross. It was the George Cross (similar to the American CMH) awarded for defusing a carbomb in Northern Ireland. He later lost a leg in a mine clearance operation in the Falklands. I do not find flippant references to minefields amusing. To be fair, you did not know this when you made it. However, in view of the current international situation, where people may really have to enter minefields, the comment was, shall we say, a touch tasteless. I would also add that Amelia, who more than anyone might feel annoyed with my post, actually responded with an extremely gracious reply. Peter

2003-03-15 22:21:43+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Peter Cowan <pccowan@btopenworld.com>)

"Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:6295a5ef.0303150105.32b7b258@posting.google.com... > "Peter Cowan" <pccowan@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<b4tpr5$fn$1@knossos.btinternet.com>... > > "Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message > > news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... > > > It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation > > > etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from > > > her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how > > > Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz > > > from it, really out of it. > > > > > rest of post snipped... > > > > > > > > And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have just > > gone out......uhhhh? > > > > Peter > > Hint - a little bit of spoiler warning wouldn't go amiss > > > Sorry about that. Am really used to Australia being the last place > that gets any show, so now that I download it I suppose I didn't think > of it. My apologies. > No problems. And thank you for the polite reply. My apologies if I seemed a bit too censorious. Re the tranquiliser thing. Nice idea, and very impressive use of > pharmacokinetic (the most unlikely word to ever be used validly in a > Buffy newsgroup? ;o) .. but in the end, I do not think that it would > make the two consistent. Let me make this clear - I am not hung up on > this, I know it is just a show, and I am not abusing the writers. It > was simply something I noticed, and I think that your response is > interesting. So, hypothetically ... > > If what you said were so, then it wouldn't matter if they drank the > drug or shot it into their arm (or head, little toe or belly button), > it would still simply diffuse throughout their body. Whatcha think? > > Amelia. I reckon it wouldn't matter where they were hit - I'm thinking Vamp-Willow in Doppelgangland, where she was shot in the abdomen (I think?) .That set me thinking at the time, your post just made me think a bit harder. Peter

2003-03-16 01:57:20-05:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (TomTraubertsBlues <silentsaregolden@comcast.net>)

"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:YtSca.11023$S%3.568455@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > As for the poor sods who are going to get killed in Bush's war, they're > all volunteers and chose to be where they are. > If some joined up to learn a trade or earn college tuition and never > thought they'd actually have to put their arses in danger, well, when life > gives you lemons, you make lemonade. I snipped the stuff that had to do with the argument about landmines and spoilers to comment on your "Bush's war" comment. Number one, everybody keeps referring to this war that hasn't even begun yet. Bush is so trigger happy to start a war that he has been trying to go thru the UN for about a year and a half. Number two, Blair and most of the European leaders are on board as well. Would you have us follow Chamberlain's example of appeasement? Would you have us cower in fear like the rest of the world? Everybody wants to jump on the US for being the bully of the block, but nobody ever wants to stand up and do the dirty work that becomes necessary when people like Hussein, Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Bin Laden engage in genocide. No, the United States is far from perfect or without its own scars. However, it can't be all that bad since people continue to pour into it every day seeking the freedom that other countries fail to provide. This freedom has already cost us dearly, but unlike the Frances of the world, we refuse to mollycoddle terrorists in order to find comfort in the false belief that such action will make us immune from attacks. Mock and ridicule the Bush's of the world all you want, but the next time a Hitler is laying waste to your countries, who do you think is going to try and bail you out? Russia? China? Germany? Mike

2003-03-16 03:48:08+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Aethelrede <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net>)

Peter Cowan wrote in message ... > >"Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message >news:PVwca.7492$S%3.433445@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... >> >> Peter Cowan wrote in message ... >> > >> >"Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message >> >news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... >> >> It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation >> >> etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from >> >> her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how >> >> Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz >> >> from it, really out of it. >> >> >> >rest of post snipped... >> > >> > >> > >> >And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have >> just >> >gone out......uhhhh? >> >> You could stop reading posts in a newsgroup where programmes are >> discussed as soon as they air, or even earlier from satellite download >> spoilers. >> See? It's so easy. If you don't like reading stuff, don't go where >> it's posted. >> Or are you one of those people who read "Warning: Land Mines!" as >> "Please climb over the barbed wire and have a stroll"? >> > >Personally I don't give a toss - with the timelag between US airing and >availabilty on Video in the Uk (about 6 months or so) , I've got used to >reading things about epsiodes I haven't seen. However, topics discussed in >this newsgroup are wide ranging and not always about recent eps. In many >cases people do put in spoiler alerts. > >As for the personal comments. The first, I think I have just addressed. >The second. - when I was growing up, I had a friend. His father would appear >on parade (our parents being in the army) with a fancy cross. It was the >George Cross (similar to the American CMH) awarded for defusing a carbomb in >Northern Ireland. He later lost a leg in a mine clearance operation in the >Falklands. I do not find flippant references to minefields amusing. Tough, but who was being flippant? >To be fair, you did not know this when you made it. And, knowing it, I don't care to retract my remark. People who learn bomb disposal presumably know it's not as safe as working in an office shuffling papers. Or ought to. >However, in view of the >current international situation, where people may really have to enter >minefields, the comment was, shall we say, a touch tasteless. For the Internet? I wasn't referring to your friends or relatives, but people like someone my mother knew who had 1 1/2 legs blown off by a landmine in WW II because she decided that a minefield on the British coast was a neat short cut to get her back to their navy base in time to not be late from a pass. While I feel sorry for the woman (who is probably long dead by now), you can't help making the connection between being fucking stupid and getting hurt. People don't put up "Danger! Minefield!" signs as an alternative to "Trespassers are discouraged". As for the poor sods who are going to get killed in Bush's war, they're all volunteers and chose to be where they are. If some joined up to learn a trade or earn college tuition and never thought they'd actually have to put their arses in danger, well, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

2003-03-16 11:02:15-08:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (amelia_e@ihug.com.au)

"Peter Cowan" <pccowan@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<b5091n$3ch$1@knossos.btinternet.com>... > "Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message > news:6295a5ef.0303150105.32b7b258@posting.google.com... > > "Peter Cowan" <pccowan@btopenworld.com> wrote in message > news:<b4tpr5$fn$1@knossos.btinternet.com>... > > > "Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message > > > news:6295a5ef.0303141218.6ec42c5b@posting.google.com... > > > > It has surprised me, seeing people talking about new slayer activation > > > > etc .. we did not see Faith die, we saw Angelus start to drink from > > > > her. We also saw Wes go on and on in that Junkie/Demon bar about how > > > > Vamps drink a bit from someone who is high, and they get quite a buzz > > > > from it, really out of it. > > > > > > > rest of post snipped... > > > > > > > > > > > > And for those of us who don't actually live where these programmes have > just > > > gone out......uhhhh? > > > > > > Peter > > > Hint - a little bit of spoiler warning wouldn't go amiss > > > > > Sorry about that. Am really used to Australia being the last place > > that gets any show, so now that I download it I suppose I didn't think > > of it. My apologies. > > > No problems. And thank you for the polite reply. My apologies if I seemed a > bit too censorious. > > Re the tranquiliser thing. Nice idea, and very impressive use of > > pharmacokinetic (the most unlikely word to ever be used validly in a > > Buffy newsgroup? ;o) .. but in the end, I do not think that it would > > make the two consistent. Let me make this clear - I am not hung up on > > this, I know it is just a show, and I am not abusing the writers. It > > was simply something I noticed, and I think that your response is > > interesting. So, hypothetically ... > > > > If what you said were so, then it wouldn't matter if they drank the > > drug or shot it into their arm (or head, little toe or belly button), > > it would still simply diffuse throughout their body. Whatcha think? > > > > Amelia. > > I reckon it wouldn't matter where they were hit - I'm thinking Vamp-Willow > in Doppelgangland, where she was shot in the abdomen (I think?) .That set me > thinking at the time, your post just made me think a bit harder. > > Peter Gahh - you should see the replies I got from morons when I posted this in the alt.tv.angel newsgroup where I meant to put it. Talk about insanity! I reckon I am right (hey, otherwise I wouldn't have written it I suppose), that it is an inconsistency. And I also reckon that I have a better than 50/50 chance of being right about the drug thing. Does your post mean that you do not get to se the ep's until you buy the box set? Are the boxes coming out quicker in the UK than on free to air? I was blown away that when I was living in New Zealand for a year and a bit, that they were further on than Australia was. To be fair, that was about a year ago .. but they were only up to S2. I don't know if you are a star trek fan, but there is a good book called 'The Physics of Star Trek' (even has a holographic cover!) which I bought while at uni and it was quite fun - you may enjoy. At the same time as knowing that it is a tv show blah blah, sometimes it is interesting when you note something which is a bit weird. FYI. Also completely happy to be referred to as 'gracious'. Colonials do not often get that ....... especially since we kick you in cricket ;o) Re poeple trying to make this little segment of newsgroupage into an Iragi war arc, STOP IT!!! There has to be somewhere people can turn without that being the topic of the day. Obviously however, that big fat French quote thing posted was entirely amusing. I will semi-quote Blackadder and say, 'did my ancestors die on the fields on Agincourt for nothing'? Bugger the French!! Hmm .. they would probably enjoy it. Again to paraphrase a movie, 'the French have no stomach for war. They would rather eat and make love with their faces'. Damn, that has always made me laugh. I am (occassionaly) semi-politically correct, however it is just that Lord Admiral Nelson is an ancestor of mine. That is my excuse, anyways. Look forward to hearing from you Peter, you seem an okay guy. But must go to bed now, 6am and my 1yr old son has *finally* gone to sleep (touch wood. QUICKLY!!!). Cheers, Amelia.

2003-03-16 14:40:29-05:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (-Andy- <a.stoffel@spamworm.adelphia.net>)

In article <6295a5ef.0303161102.37337bef@posting.google.com>, amelia_e@ihug.com.au (Amelia) wrote: [snip] > Gahh - you should see the replies I got from morons when I posted this > in the alt.tv.angel newsgroup where I meant to put it. Talk about > insanity! Huh... I wandered over there when the last couple Season 4 episodes aired to see what was going on..... and was struck by the very different tone of a lot of the posters ( With the exception of a few regulars from here (atbvs) ) > I reckon I am right (hey, otherwise I wouldn't have written it I > suppose), that it is an inconsistency. And I also reckon that I have > a better than 50/50 chance of being right about the drug thing. Well... depends on whether you are aware of spoilers for the next episode of Angel (I couldn't take the suspense myself and checked out the TV Guide episode synopsis to see what happened to Faith...) [I'm not Peter, though I am a fan of his Buffy fanfic] > Does your post mean that you do not get to se the ep's until you buy > the box set? Are the boxes coming out quicker in the UK than on free > to air? Somewhere there is probably a FAQ about when/where Buffy & Angel air in which country. From my observations it goes basically like this: In the US we get the episodes from the beginning of a season first but I believe the UK catches up by the end of a season (?). (This due to the way "seasons" work in both areas and they MIGHT be a season behind on some channels/stations) Canada gets them the same week as the US (usually the day before) Other countries seem to be at least a year behind. And there's the whole "what network is it on" issue in the US. I get UPN so I see Buffy "fresh"... but I don't theWB anymore (my WB station switched to UPN when Buffy did...) so I can only see Angel if I'm willing to download it from somewhere... As far as DVD's go... in the US/Region 1/ we are WAY behind everyone else (something to do with the way sindication works in the US) and just got Season 3 of Buffy & Season 1 on Angel. Such is life. -Andy-

2003-03-16 23:50:08+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Peter Cowan <pccowan@btopenworld.com>)

"Amelia" <amelia_e@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:6295a5ef.0303161102.37337bef@posting.google.com... > Gahh - you should see the replies I got from morons when I posted this > in the alt.tv.angel newsgroup where I meant to put it. Talk about > insanity! > > I reckon I am right (hey, otherwise I wouldn't have written it I > suppose), that it is an inconsistency. And I also reckon that I have > a better than 50/50 chance of being right about the drug thing. > > Does your post mean that you do not get to se the ep's until you buy > the box set? Are the boxes coming out quicker in the UK than on free > to air? I was blown away that when I was living in New Zealand for a > year and a bit, that they were further on than Australia was. To be > fair, that was about a year ago .. but they were only up to S2. > I don't. They air on Sky (the R Murdoch satellite channel) starting January, ending at roughly the same time as the USA (no breaks for holidays etc). The video sets come out roughly after ep 11 (first set) then ep 22 (2nd set) have shown. BBC then starts showing from September. So right now Sky is midway through S7, BBC is nearing the end of S6. Not having satellite I'm reduced to waiting for video sets. > I don't know if you are a star trek fan, but there is a good book > called 'The Physics of Star Trek' (even has a holographic cover!) > which I bought while at uni and it was quite fun - you may enjoy. At > the same time as knowing that it is a tv show blah blah, sometimes it > is interesting when you note something which is a bit weird. FYI. > Guilty as charged. Been watching the various incarnations of Trek since the beginning. I agree, it is a good book. > Also completely happy to be referred to as 'gracious'. Colonials do > not often get that ....... especially since we kick you in cricket ;o) > My pleasure. As for the cricket we're just waiting for the Botham clones to come online...... > Look forward to hearing from you Peter, you seem an okay guy. But > must go to bed now, 6am and my 1yr old son has *finally* gone to sleep > (touch wood. QUICKLY!!!). > > Cheers, Amelia. Thank you Peter

2003-03-16 23:51:14+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Peter Cowan <pccowan@btopenworld.com>)

"-Andy-" <a.stoffel@spamworm.adelphia.net> wrote in message news:a.stoffel-A55DD2.14402916032003@news-east.giganews.com... > In article <6295a5ef.0303161102.37337bef@posting.google.com>, > amelia_e@ihug.com.au (Amelia) wrote: > > [snip] > > > Gahh - you should see the replies I got from morons when I posted this > > in the alt.tv.angel newsgroup where I meant to put it. Talk about > > insanity! > > Huh... I wandered over there when the last couple Season 4 episodes > aired to see what was going on..... and was struck by the very different > tone of a lot of the posters ( With the exception of a few regulars from > here (atbvs) ) > > > I reckon I am right (hey, otherwise I wouldn't have written it I > > suppose), that it is an inconsistency. And I also reckon that I have > > a better than 50/50 chance of being right about the drug thing. > > Well... depends on whether you are aware of spoilers for the next > episode of Angel (I couldn't take the suspense myself and checked out > the TV Guide episode synopsis to see what happened to Faith...) > > [I'm not Peter, though I am a fan of his Buffy fanfic] > Thanks, much appreciated Peter

2003-03-17 00:17:05+00:00 - Re: Faith isn't going to die! - (Growltiger <tyger@never.invalid>)

Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, silentsaregolden@comcast.net wrote in article <l76dnfJddMDMvemjXTWcoQ@comcast.com>... > "Aethelrede" <aethelrede@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message > news:YtSca.11023$S%3.568455@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > > > As for the poor sods who are going to get killed in Bush's war, > they're > > all volunteers and chose to be where they are. > > If some joined up to learn a trade or earn college tuition and never > > thought they'd actually have to put their arses in danger, well, when life > > gives you lemons, you make lemonade. > > I snipped the stuff that had to do with the argument about landmines and > spoilers to comment on your "Bush's war" comment. Number one, everybody > keeps referring to this war that hasn't even begun yet. Bush is so trigger > happy to start a war that he has been trying to go thru the UN for about a > year and a half. Number two, Blair and most of the European leaders are on > board as well. > > Would you have us follow Chamberlain's example of appeasement? Would you > have us cower in fear like the rest of the world? Everybody wants to jump > on the US for being the bully of the block, but nobody ever wants to stand > up and do the dirty work that becomes necessary when people like Hussein, > Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Bin Laden engage in genocide. No, the United > States is far from perfect or without its own scars. However, it can't be > all that bad since people continue to pour into it every day seeking the > freedom that other countries fail to provide. This freedom has already cost > us dearly, but unlike the Frances of the world, we refuse to mollycoddle > terrorists in order to find comfort in the false belief that such action > will make us immune from attacks. > > Mock and ridicule the Bush's of the world all you want, but the next time a > Hitler is laying waste to your countries, who do you think is going to try > and bail you out? Russia? China? Germany? > > Mike > > > Tom, reluctance to start a war in a volatile region is not an example of mollycoddling. I have not heard any reports out of France saying Sadaam Hussein is a real swell guy and why is President Bush picking on this poor fellow. I happen to accept the proposition that Hussein is a criminal of galactic proportion and it is a disgrace that he has not been deposed. The world will be a better place with Hussein removed from power. Yet our leadership has not made the case that he is an immediate danger to our security. I do not doubt that Hussein could become a danger, but there are mechanisms to keep him on a short leash by continued inspections and (world-wide) political pressure. Iraq is a trisected nation at this time: the USA and UK have thorough control over a significant portion of the skies of that nation. Our military has had a significant presence in that region for over a decade and I do not see where those who resist a war today are also demanding our withdrawal. I do not favor their removal because they are keeping Hussein's aspirations in check. Despite Iraq having worked around various international embargoes, their economy is a shambles. Given these circumstances, I have a difficult, difficult time accepting the proposition that reluctance to an invasion of that nation is tantamount to appeasement. -- Be seeing you, Growltiger