FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-08 12:55:05-06:00 - Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com>)

The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that Dawn simply does not have. Period. Add on to the fact that the actress is pulling off a heck of a task here. First of all, she's been pegged as the Tara replacement. (No small task, mind you). And that is the crucial factor that makes her character work at all. The fact that she's able to connect to Willow is what's allowing Kennedy have a fighting chance toward the end of this series/season. She is definitely showing signs of sparkage between herself and Willow that I'm liking a lot. I think she's a more believable partner for Willow than Tara ever was. Don't get me wrong though. I also liked the Tara character too. But there was something off about Tara. She was too weak minded for Willow. Willow was walking all over Tara until even Tara finally noticed and walked out of Willow's life. Kennedy seems far more mature and seems willing to make her opinions known regardless of what Willow seems to think of them. This suggests to me that Kennedy's weak spot may be her motor mouth. She may get into trouble by saying things that should be better off left unsaid. But other than this, I think Kennedy is becoming a very likable character indeed. Secondly, she's a Slayer in Training. What's remarkable about this is the length of time she's been training for the role and never having been called. What I'm finding strange about that is technical. How does Buffy get the call to be the Slayer while it seems to me that Kennedy has been in training to be a slayer longer than Buffy herself? To me, this doesn't make sense. Another thing I found odd was Kennedy's reaction to the possibility that she won't be called. She says she's nervous that she WON'T be called because she's too old?! Well, if I was in Kennedy's shoes I'd be awful glad I was too old to be drafted as a Slayer because it would mean I get to live a longer life. So her reasoning for feeling afraid she won't be called because of her age doesn't connect here. And it was Morphy/Eve's comment that age didn't matter who gets the call that may have been the only thing the First said that was true about who gets the call to be the next Slayer. (More on the Slayer line spoiler/theory speculation in another post). Again, other than this complaint about Kennedy, she seems more experienced and believable as a Slayer potential than Dawn, period. There's nothing in Dawn's ability that leads me to suspect she has both leadership and slayer qualities that are matching or surpassing Kennedy at this point. So Kennedy is definitely leading in this Slayer roulette game. I don't know if it's me or the way they're presenting Kennedy onscreen but I think she's looking better each passing episode she's on. Her appearance seems to be less grating than the first time she was on���and fashion wise she's loosening up Which is a good thing because it wouldn't do to have Willow be teamed up with a cocoon. Finally aside from the interactions between Buffy and Spike, Willow and Kennedy are the next most believable couple on this series. There isn't anyone else that matches Willow and Kennedy's repartee other than Buffy and Spike. So, unless there is a dramatic change in the score here, like Joss Whedon suddenly turning around and making Kennedy the spy for the First, IS the First or is killed by the First, then it's looking highly likely that Kennedy will be the next Slayer - regardless if the Buffy series ends this year or not. What with rumors that Sarah Michelle Gellar calling it quits after this year to not wanting to sign up for all of next year if UPN even agrees to a Season 8 in the first place. So count me in for Kennedy being the next Slayer. I'm for it. As to whether a spinoff would work or not is irrelevant. The point that matters most is that a Slayer can be called even if she's gay. Now that's a statement that I can live with.

2003-01-08 15:44:33-08:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (doug.mills2@sympatico.ca)

I really like Kennedy.I don't know exactly why but there is just something about her.Hopefully she'll be sticking around. Darwin Fish <a@a.edu> wrote in message news:<a-ED9F94.14005908012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net>... > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, > Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > > > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > > > But she's way old.... I'd gather that all previous SITs who become > Slayers did so before their 18 birthdays, otherwise why would the COW > schedule their Slayer's test for her 18th birthday? Kennedy's expired... > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Let the Darwin Fishes swim! > www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html > -------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

2003-01-08 16:18:36-05:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (TEPC@webtv.net)

I'll just say again what I've been saying all year. "DtVS" is a red herring. ME has never IMO considered this and have other plans for Ms. Trachtenberg

2003-01-08 16:58:39-08:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com>)

In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > Dawn simply does not have. Period. One small point: Slayers are not supposed to be leaders. They're supposed to live and work alone and lead solitary existences. That's why Buffy is so unique. She's perhaps the only Slayer in history that has a cadre of family and friends backing her up. Leadership isn't a desired quality in a Slayer.

2003-01-08 18:10:26-08:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (himiko@animail.net)

Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>... > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > Dawn simply does not have. Period. Talk about damning with faint praise. But I agree. If Kennedy is being brought on as Buffy's successor, possibly on a spin-off, then she's a good selection. Aside from the points you raise with which I agree... <snippage of good points> ...there's the fact that Kennedy would be a whole different story. It wouldn't be a teenage girl forced into early maturity by events. That was Buffy's story. This would be more of a late-bloomer story, a girl who has spent years training for a life that is only now beginning. With that said, however, I'd just as soon not see an Anybody the Vampire Slayer sequel. Why tell the same story again using the same metaphor? Willow could do the late bloomer metaphor just as well. Maybe we'll see both of them do it: a late blooming witch and slayer. Or possibly a slayer who never get's called and now knows that she never will be. It could work. Anyway, KTVS is something I'd at least give a chance. That's more than can be said for DTVS. himiko

2003-01-08 18:35:04-08:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (jagged_death@yahoo.com)

BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<BTR1702-D953A6.16583908012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>... > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, Alberich > <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > > > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > One small point: Slayers are not supposed to be leaders. They're > supposed to live and work alone and lead solitary existences. > > That's why Buffy is so unique. She's perhaps the only Slayer in history > that has a cadre of family and friends backing her up. > > Leadership isn't a desired quality in a Slayer.

2003-01-08 20:00:47+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Darwin Fish <a@a.edu>)

2003-01-08 20:22:12+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (JustMe <whome@nospam.com>)

"Darwin Fish" <a@a.edu> wrote in message news:a-ED9F94.14005908012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, > Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > > > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > > > But she's way old.... I'd gather that all previous SITs who become > Slayers did so before their 18 birthdays, otherwise why would the COW > schedule their Slayer's test for her 18th birthday? Kennedy's expired... > Unless she's the only one left.. > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Let the Darwin Fishes swim! > www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html > -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-01-08 21:00:48+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Darwin Fish <a@a.edu>)

In article <UL%S9.6399$Hs3.757670@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "JustMe" <whome@nospam.com> wrote: > "Darwin Fish" <a@a.edu> wrote in message > news:a-ED9F94.14005908012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, > > Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > > > > > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > > > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > > > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > > > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > > > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > > > > > > But she's way old.... I'd gather that all previous SITs who become > > Slayers did so before their 18 birthdays, otherwise why would the COW > > schedule their Slayer's test for her 18th birthday? Kennedy's expired... > > > > Unless she's the only one left.. > Shouldn't we be seeing some little old lady SITs sometime soon? Imagine that each Slayer gets called at 16 and then dies soon afterwards at 23, a span of 7 years. Now... we've seen 7 or 8 SITs.... assuming the FE wasn't killing them and everything was going as normal one of those SIT wouldn't get called until she was in her 60s! Now, this never seems to happen because news SITs are always being born and the process seems to favor the young. But now that its stopped some of the older women, between the ages of 30-80, who never got called should be back in the running. Is Giles going to have to run back to England and drag Margaret Thacher to Sunnydale?

2003-01-08 21:21:30+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Dan Solomon <dansolo@attbi.com>)

Darwin Fish <a@a.edu> wrote in news:a-ED9F94.14005908012003@netnews.worldnet.att.net: > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, > Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > >> The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First >> of all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the >> "who's the next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more >> believable because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership >> qualities that Dawn simply does not have. Period. >> > > But she's way old.... I'd gather that all previous SITs who become > Slayers did so before their 18 birthdays, otherwise why would the COW > schedule their Slayer's test for her 18th birthday? Kennedy's > expired... In case you've forgotten, the COW has also expired. -- Dan Solomon

[...]

2003-01-08 22:03:57+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (runester <runesterATrocketmailDOTcom>)

Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote in news:MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com: > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > I just assumed that we were getting to know and like Kennedy, so that her death would have a greater emotional impact on us. You, know ... the way they usually introduce auxilary characters in horror movies. You get to know the kid brother or kindly uncle, just in time for the monster to bite his head off - and all those lines about "how everything will get better" now seem ironic and bitter-sweet. It's a cliche' thing. If I'm right, Kennedy won't live out the season. -- ~runester~

[...]

2003-01-08 22:20:29+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (thezanyrogue@aol.com)

Kennedy is VERY annoying and has NO SHOT at carrying on the Slayer role. The only person in my opinion, and this won't happen either is, that has a shto is Faith.

2003-01-09 00:43:35+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid>)

In article <BTR1702-D953A6.16583908012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, Alberich > <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > > > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > One small point: Slayers are not supposed to be leaders. They're > supposed to live and work alone and lead solitary existences. > > That's why Buffy is so unique. She's perhaps the only Slayer in history > that has a cadre of family and friends backing her up. > > Leadership isn't a desired quality in a Slayer. Not desired by the CoW, no. But the point all along has been that Buffy's "undesireable" way of working is more effective than the CoW's: the Slayer lives longer and protects better when she has the emotional support of family and friends, as well as a team of resourceful colleagues who pitch in on the work (not to mention saving her bacon frequently and bringing her back from the dead periodically). Though in Dawn's defense, even though she's shown no signs of leadership, she nevertheless would have many of the same benefits available if she were to succeed Buffy. Leader or not, the Scoobies, Giles, and Spike would feel honor-bound to continue protecting Dawnie, serving as her surrogate family, and providing their technical assistance to her as Slayer. -- CC "All I'm saying is soulles Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now..." - Anya Dawn: "I feel safe with you..." Spike: "TAKE THAT BACK!"

2003-01-09 01:26:12+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Darwin Fish <a@a.edu>)

In article <cczona-96B184.16433408012003@netnews.attbi.com>, CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid> wrote: > In article <BTR1702-D953A6.16583908012003@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, > BTR1701 <BTR1702@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > > > In article <MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>, Alberich > > <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote: > > > > > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > > > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > > > next Slayer" race. She's less annoying than Dawn and more believable > > > because in my opinion Kennedy seems to possess leadership qualities that > > > Dawn simply does not have. Period. > > > > One small point: Slayers are not supposed to be leaders. They're > > supposed to live and work alone and lead solitary existences. > > > > That's why Buffy is so unique. She's perhaps the only Slayer in history > > that has a cadre of family and friends backing her up. > > > > Leadership isn't a desired quality in a Slayer. > > Not desired by the CoW, no. But the point all along has been that Buffy's > "undesireable" way of working is more effective than the CoW's: the Slayer > lives longer and protects better when she has the emotional support of > family and friends, as well as a team of resourceful colleagues who pitch > in on the work (not to mention saving her bacon frequently and bringing her > back from the dead periodically). Is living longer really a benefit? Well.... for the Slayer it is, sure. However, from the Council's point of view it really does not matter if the current Slayer dies in her attempt to save the world or not. As long as she does her job, and the COW does have the track record to back up their current method of doing things, who cares if she dies. Another Slayer will pop up any second, sort of like Wack-a-Mole... -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Let the Darwin Fishes swim! www.darwin-fish.com/fish.html -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003-01-09 06:31:33+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (James Craine <JamesCraine@Hotmail.com>)

2003-01-09 13:50:57-05:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Dawn <avs@qis.net>)

Robert Scott Clark wrote: > PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net> wrote in news:antarian- > F9D2B7.10055609012003@newssvr19-ext.news.prodigy.com: > > > of course Kennedy is winning. > > > > There is nothing to show that Dawn is a Slayer in Training and > > everything to show that she's not. > > > > And chances are if there is a spinoff, the title will be something short > > and sweet like "Slayer" > > > > "Vampire Cheerleaders A-Go-Go Hm.... "Monster a-go go" 1965 "Satan's Cheerleaders" 1977 "Vampire Centerfolds" 1998 Nope. "Vampire Cheerleaders A-Go-Go" has NOT already been used, despite sounding so familiar. I guess it's a shoo-in for the new series. Dawn

2003-01-09 14:49:36+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (John Campbell Rees <jwcr@gardd-lelog.org.uk>)

During the course of this discussion, himiko@animail.net (himiko), in message <c7902983.0301081810.338c3bb6@posting.google.com> wrote: > Anyway, KTVS is something I'd at least give a chance. That's more > than can be said for DTVS. Mutant Enemy would have to do better with a name for a spin-off. "Kennedy the Vampire Slayer" sounds too much like its parent show, and the initials KtVS sounds far to much like a small television station somewhere out in the sticks. -- "Like shooting flies with a laser cannon, the aims a bit tricky, but it certainly deals with the flies." - Lord Miles Vorkosigan.

2003-01-09 18:05:21+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (PJ Browning <antarian@pacbell.net>)

2003-01-09 18:18:05+00:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Robert Scott Clark <clarkrs@mindspring.com>)

[...]

2003-01-09 23:11:22-05:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (Tom Breton <tehom@panix.com>)

runester <runesterATrocketmailDOTcom> writes: > It's a cliche' thing. If I'm right, Kennedy won't live out the season. It is a cliche thing, but in a quite different sense. It's all about the "lesbian cliche" we kept hearing about. ME feels it has something to prove about lesbian storylines, and it would like to revisit the whole Willow&Tara ending and do it differently. -- Tom Breton at panix.com, username tehom. http://www.panix.com/~tehom

2003-01-10 11:46:39-08:00 - Re: Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in Slayer race - (realitycheck2525@yahoo.com)

Alberich <Alberich@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.18863d7bc2b0501498981d@news.cyburban.com>... > The complaints about Kennedy in my opinion are not warranted. First of > all, I will say that Kennedy is beating Dawn by a mile in the "who's the > next Slayer" race. > I don't think that Dawn will be a SIT this season. I think the hints in that direction at the start of the season were misdirection or foreshadowing of the SITs. The best SIT far and away for me is Rona (the one from "Showtime") that Buffy met at the bus station. The actress has great presence. I think that she will be the stand out.