FLM films - My Webpage

2000-09-29 00:00:00 - Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - ("Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net>)

The issue of where Section is located has been discussed frequently. I really don't remember if the information in the Innocent ep has been brought up in that respect (it probably has), so here goes: At the beginning of the ep, Birkoff says that the cargo jet left Helsinki 8 hours ago, and is now in "our" hemisphere. That clearly implies that Section One is not located in Europe, and when you add the reference to "this region", and the map of the US that is shown on the screen, it would seem that Section One is located in the North America. This contradicts what we learned in I Remember Paris and other eps, which lead us to believe that Section One was in Paris. It is hard to reconcile the conflicting data. It looks to me like TPTB later decided to put Section One in Paris, without remembering the info in Innocent. Not surprising. Colin

2000-09-29 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (Isabelle <kadyn@cybercable.fr>)

I laughed so hard when we learnt Section was located in Paris. I mean I like the idea but pleeeeze the look of the street where Nikita lives is nothing like Paris! I noticed that there were a lot of red bricks buildings in Toronto and the location designers use that to give LFN a European flavour. That may work from an american POV but there are no red brick buildings in Paris (okay there might be some but that's not the general look of the city). The only place in France where you find red brick buildings everywhere is the North of France near belgium. Nevertheless I was impressed by the shot in I remember Paris where Michael and Ops walk in the street with the Eiffel Tower in the back. This street looked parisian, during the Eurocon we passed by the Canadian embassy not far from the Eiffel Tower and the shot could have been taken there. So it was very realistic for a change except for the phone booths. kadyn "Colin L. Whipple" wrote: > The issue of where Section is located has been discussed frequently. I > really don't remember if the information in the Innocent ep has been brought > up in that respect (it probably has), so here goes: > > At the beginning of the ep, Birkoff says that the cargo jet left Helsinki 8 > hours ago, and is now in "our" hemisphere. > > That clearly implies that Section One is not located in Europe, and when you > add the reference to "this region", and the map of the US that is shown on > the screen, it would seem that Section One is located in the North America. > > This contradicts what we learned in I Remember Paris and other eps, which > lead us to believe that Section One was in Paris. > > It is hard to reconcile the conflicting data. It looks to me like TPTB > later decided to put Section One in Paris, without remembering the info in > Innocent. Not surprising. > > Colin -- "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or else what's Heaven for?" Robert Browning

2000-09-29 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (mark5291961@aol.comnospam)

This continuity problem is what we get when different writers are brought in, not only in different seasons, but also from one episode to the other with the same season. Why can't shows like LFN hire writers that stay with the show until the very end? Subject: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info From: "Colin L. Whipple" colinwNSPM@power.net Date: 09/29/2000 08:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id: <st94e7ds4kce21@news.supernews.com> The issue of where Section is located has been discussed frequently. I really don't remember if the information in the Innocent ep has been brought up in that respect (it probably has), so here goes: At the beginning of the ep, Birkoff says that the cargo jet left Helsinki 8 hours ago, and is now in "our" hemisphere. That clearly implies that Section One is not located in Europe, and when you add the reference to "this region", and the map of the US that is shown on the screen, it would seem that Section One is located in the North America. This contradicts what we learned in I Remember Paris and other eps, which lead us to believe that Section One was in Paris. It is hard to reconcile the conflicting data. It looks to me like TPTB later decided to put Section One in Paris, without remembering the info in Innocent. Not surprising. Colin

2000-09-29 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (Out of the LOOP <max_thesilent@yahoo.com>)

"Mark W." <mark5291961@aol.comnospam> wrote in message news:20000929093145.00837.00000165@ng-fu1.aol.com... > This continuity problem is what we get when different writers are brought in, > not only in different seasons, but also from one episode to the other with the > same season. Why can't shows like LFN hire writers that stay with the show > until the very end? > <sigh> yes it would be nice, but shows routinely have different writers all the time. I think there are other people that are responsible for just what you're describing - making sure stuff jives. -OoTL

2000-09-29 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (trajan <trajan@optonline.net>)

Yes, I noticed that, too. My suspicion until "I Remember Paris" was that section was in Montreal. I'd seen someone mention Frankfurt; it seemed reasonable that the location would move at least every 2 years or so. (If I had a secret organization I'd probably keep it highly mobile.) Trajan

2000-09-29 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (Was <somjumpa@gmx.net>)

...or why can't the producers make the rotating writers adhere to a 'canon' as they do on many other shows with continuing story lines?? The producers just didn't care enough, and the writers weren't good enough. On 29 Sep 2000 13:31:45 GMT, mark5291961@aol.comnospam (Mark W.) wrote: >This continuity problem is what we get when different writers are brought in, >not only in different seasons, but also from one episode to the other with the >same season. Why can't shows like LFN hire writers that stay with the show >until the very end? > >Subject: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info >From: "Colin L. Whipple" colinwNSPM@power.net >Date: 09/29/2000 08:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time >Message-id: <st94e7ds4kce21@news.supernews.com> > >The issue of where Section is located has been discussed frequently. I >really don't remember if the information in the Innocent ep has been brought >up in that respect (it probably has), so here goes: > >At the beginning of the ep, Birkoff says that the cargo jet left Helsinki 8 >hours ago, and is now in "our" hemisphere. > >That clearly implies that Section One is not located in Europe, and when you >add the reference to "this region", and the map of the US that is shown on >the screen, it would seem that Section One is located in the North America. > >This contradicts what we learned in I Remember Paris and other eps, which >lead us to believe that Section One was in Paris. > >It is hard to reconcile the conflicting data. It looks to me like TPTB >later decided to put Section One in Paris, without remembering the info in >Innocent. Not surprising. > >Colin

2000-09-30 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (janusthinker@aol.com)

>Yes, I noticed that, too. My suspicion until "I Remember Paris" was that >section was in Montreal. I'd seen someone mention Frankfurt; it seemed >reasonable that the location would move at least every 2 years or so. (If I >had >a secret organization I'd probably keep it highly mobile.) I hadn't seen a good chunk of the first season until now, so I hadn't seen "Innocent." I had seen "I Remember Paris," which I did love, if only for the music from the scene where Michael hunts down the hostile inside Section...but I digress. When that episode appeared, people complained that it violated continuity, and I wasn't sure what they were talking about. This obviously makes it clear what they were talking about, since Section can clearly be located in the U.S. from this episode. Birkoff first describes the Western hemisphere as "our hemisphere" and then says that the bomb is "entering the country" while looking at a map of the U.S. While the discrepancies are obvious between those two episodes, I also noted a few other curiousities. In "Inside Out," Glasgow is said to be 3 hours from Section by plane. I roughly estimated from that at the time that Section must be in mainland Europe or Northern Africa. You certainly can't make it to North America from Glasgow in 3 hours, after all. Next oddity: George. Of course it's obvious that a different actor was used. That happens. But the relationship between George and Section seems very different. Ops seems on an equal level with George and that U.S. Army General, as opposed to George being above Ops. One doesn't get a clue that George is Ops' superior from that scene, which is inconsistent. Furthermore, the existence of Oversight or Center makes little sense according to this ep. "Guy" appears to be the top of the chain of command. Ops, that Army General, "Margaret," and George all appear to be on an equal level with Guy on top. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I realize that the concepts of Oversight and Center were added later, but I do wish that they had been added in such a way that they were consistent.

2000-10-01 00:00:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (trajan <trajan@optonline.net>)

Janus Thinker wrote: > This obviously > makes it clear what they were talking about, since Section can clearly be > located in the U.S. from this episode. Birkoff first describes the Western > hemisphere as "our hemisphere" and then says that the bomb is "entering the > country" while looking at a map of the U.S. I figured he could be looking at Canada, too. > While the discrepancies are obvious between those two episodes, I also noted a > few other curiousities. In "Inside Out," Glasgow is said to be 3 hours from > Section by plane. I roughly estimated from that at the time that Section must > be in mainland Europe or Northern Africa. You certainly can't make it to North > America from Glasgow in 3 hours, after all. That's why I suspected it was a mobile organization. :) > > Next oddity: George. Of course it's obvious that a different actor was used. > That happens. But the relationship between George and Section seems very > different. Ops seems on an equal level with George and that U.S. Army General, > as opposed to George being above Ops. One doesn't get a clue that George is > Ops' superior from that scene, which is inconsistent. Furthermore, the > existence of Oversight or Center makes little sense according to this ep. "Guy" > appears to be the top of the chain of command. Ops, that Army General, > "Margaret," and George all appear to be on an equal level with Guy on top. > Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I realize that the concepts of Oversight > and Center were added later, but I do wish that they had been added in such a > way that they were consistent. That caught my eye, too...such a departure in the relationships of the "higher ups." Made Section One appear far less secret (and more sanctioned) than we were later made to believe. You could almost imagine Ops calling up the CIA at that point! Nice catches. Trajan

2000-10-02 00:24:15-05:00 - Re: Location of Section - Innocent and other ep info - (Was <somjumpa@gmx.net>)

I can't remember for sure (Gelmanized), but didn't Section One have a major makeover and possibly 'move' between two of the seasons? On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:33:33 GMT, trajan <trajan@optonline.net> wrote: > > >Janus Thinker wrote: > >> This obviously >> makes it clear what they were talking about, since Section can clearly be >> located in the U.S. from this episode. Birkoff first describes the Western >> hemisphere as "our hemisphere" and then says that the bomb is "entering the >> country" while looking at a map of the U.S. > >I figured he could be looking at Canada, too. > > >> While the discrepancies are obvious between those two episodes, I also noted a >> few other curiousities. In "Inside Out," Glasgow is said to be 3 hours from >> Section by plane. I roughly estimated from that at the time that Section must >> be in mainland Europe or Northern Africa. You certainly can't make it to North >> America from Glasgow in 3 hours, after all. > >That's why I suspected it was a mobile organization. :) > >> >> Next oddity: George. Of course it's obvious that a different actor was used. >> That happens. But the relationship between George and Section seems very >> different. Ops seems on an equal level with George and that U.S. Army General, >> as opposed to George being above Ops. One doesn't get a clue that George is >> Ops' superior from that scene, which is inconsistent. Furthermore, the >> existence of Oversight or Center makes little sense according to this ep. "Guy" >> appears to be the top of the chain of command. Ops, that Army General, >> "Margaret," and George all appear to be on an equal level with Guy on top. >> Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I realize that the concepts of Oversight >> and Center were added later, but I do wish that they had been added in such a >> way that they were consistent. > >That caught my eye, too...such a departure in the relationships of the "higher >ups." Made Section One appear far less secret (and more sanctioned) than we were >later made to believe. You could almost imagine Ops calling up the CIA at that >point! > >Nice catches. > >Trajan