FLM films - My Webpage

2001-02-20 15:31:29-08:00 - The reruns - (Jana Peterson <jpete@u.washington.edu>)

I've gotten into the really bad habit (since I have to get up early) of watching the late LFN's until 1am...I really liked Jurgen. I've always liked Micheal and Nik together, but I still really liked Jurgen. 'Micheal loved you, I could grow to love you too. Or I could live without you. I'm not sure Micheal can....' Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to bring back Jurgen. Maybe as the new secret oversight guy. Micheal comes back to run section, Jurgen in oversight and Nik in center. (even though I think she is so underqualified it's quite silly)

2001-02-20 18:38:27-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

2001-02-20 18:56:02-08:00 - Re: The reruns - ("Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net>)

<rita@writerrita.com> wrote in message news:vaa69to1hj7vs5nig74554p0f2dm39lgvu@4ax.com... > > > >Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to > >bring back Jurgen. Maybe as the new secret oversight guy. Micheal comes > >back to run section, Jurgen in oversight and Nik in center. (even though I > >think she is so underqualified it's quite silly) > > Colin! Colin! Help me! ARRRGH! Now, now. Jurgen is really, really dead. He is NOT coming back. OK? Colin

2001-02-20 20:21:01-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

2001-02-20 20:41:54-08:00 - Re: The reruns - ("Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net>)

<rita@writerrita.com> wrote in message news:7gg69to6rncaq0ubi5jsic3uuhqemo6mj6@4ax.com... > >Now, now. Jurgen is really, really dead. He is NOT coming back. OK? > > > >Colin > Oh, thank you, Colin. You just saved me from having nightmares > tonight. I knew I could count on you. I am always glad to help my friends, Rita. :-) Colin

2001-02-20 20:52:02-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

>I am always glad to help my friends, Rita. :-) > >Colin Whew! Thanks, Colin. You know how nervous I get when someone uses the J word around me. I'm just not up for WWIII right now and my body armor is packed away in the closet.

2001-02-21 09:22:03-08:00 - Jurgen (was Re: The reruns) - ("Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net>)

The problem I had with Jurgen was the switcheroo they did on his character. He started out as a real hardass, and then suddenly turned out to be a sensitive type who couldn't stand to live the Section life. If he couldn't stand Section life, why was he willing to train/indoctrinate others into it? And why was he so easy to fool? Why wasn't he suspicious of O&M's motives in placing Nikita with him? Colin

2001-02-21 09:58:03-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (Delirium <delirium_@fulldashmoon.com>)

"CAPTANNE" <captanne@aol.com> wrote : > You and me both. We could wear him right out. > > Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to get personal about Himself. But REALLY it's so > difficult sometimes. > > Great post! > > Anne > (Who needs a Michael fix, now. Great Lord and the Saints and the Stars are all > aligned............) Why do I get the feeling I'm the only woman here who would do terrible and wrong things to Birkhoff if given the opportunity ;) Del

2001-02-21 12:11:51-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com>)

On 21 Feb 2001 14:33:01 GMT, captanne@aol.com (CAPTANNE) wrote: >>>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to >>>bring back Jurgen. > >IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm >mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn >nnnnnnnggggggggggg. > >Please.......not Jurgen. > >Oh Gawd Not Jurgen. > >He's BITS. JurgenBITS and will stay that way. > >Thank the Great Lord and the Saints and the Holy Virgin and..... > >You get my point. > >Anne >(Jurgen.....patooey. Feh.) Sorry, ma capitanne, but I have to confess it -- I agree with Jana. Despite the dreadful accent -- and that's a gigantic hurdle to, well, hurdle -- I find on second viewing of these episodes that I do like Jurgen. Quite a lot. Why? Let me count the ways, and the ways are all, I must admit, anti-Michael. So let me preface things my declaring my passion for Michael, even though I sometimes want to scream at his opaqueness and resemblance to cigarette smoke, if cigarette smoke were typically characterized as resembling brick wall.... 1. Jurgen has comparable skills, but a more accessible, if not necessarily better, teaching technique. 2. Where Michael retreats, Jurgen engages. 3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares his emotions with her 4. Jurgen recognizes her need to have answers, e.g., to Jurgen the proper response to "Hey, how's the weather outside?" is not an enigmatic wince indicating despair over global warming as it might affect Adam if Michael were able to see Adam 5. When Jurgen is wounded, he says "Ouch." 6. Jurgen tells Nikita the truth; Michael manipulates Nikita by managing disinformation 7. Jurgen acknowledges Michael as a formidable rival and deals with it, head-on, while recognizing Nik's right to her choice in the matter. 8. When Jurgen visits Nikita at her home, he acts like a guest. 9. Jurgen makes Nik smile. I think I remember a laugh, even. Now, given all that, I can forgive him falling far short of Michael on the eye candy scale. And while I certainly do not have a personal, burning desire to see his ass, I can remember one or two men in my life whom I loved dearly without having world class butts. Or dreamy eyes. Or superior hair. In a perfect world, Michael would love me so much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from the present 79 rpms. (I cry as I type this, knowing in advance of hitting "send" that there are people who will read this and not know what those numbers mean. I cry for them, and for me, older than dirt.) Tante "My Native American name is 'Never Buys Retail' " Joan [p&e]

2001-02-21 14:11:00-08:00 - Re: Jurgen (was Re: The reruns) - (rita@writerrita.com)

Now, Colin there you went and used the J word. I thought we'd agreed just to refer to him as the Michelin tire man. :::pout:::

2001-02-21 14:13:59-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

2001-02-21 14:33:01+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

>>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to >>bring back Jurgen. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn nnnnnnnggggggggggg. Please.......not Jurgen. Oh Gawd Not Jurgen. He's BITS. JurgenBITS and will stay that way. Thank the Great Lord and the Saints and the Holy Virgin and..... You get my point. Anne (Jurgen.....patooey. Feh.)

2001-02-21 15:05:19-08:00 - Re: Michelin Man (was Re: The reruns) - ("Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net>)

<rita@writerrita.com> wrote in message news:96f89tcia86qn15j29sjn15ug17bhb37nu@4ax.com... > Now, Colin there you went and used the J word. I thought we'd agreed > just to refer to him as the Michelin tire man. :::pout::: Sorry, Rita. :-) Colin

2001-02-21 15:54:12-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com>)

On 21 Feb 2001 17:43:29 GMT, captanne@aol.com (CAPTANNE) wrote: >>Despite the dreadful accent -- and that's a gigantic hurdle to, well, >>hurdle -- I find on second viewing of these episodes that I do like >>Jurgen. Quite a lot. > >I thought his inconsistent accent, his hair that rivals Ferret Fella (if I dare >quoting Chandler from Charity), and his glasses were atrocious. > Well, yes, but he sort of reminds me of that adenoidal-but-soulful jock from high school who used to sit with me under a tree and talk quietly about "Flowers for Algernon" when he was sure his b-ball friends weren't looking... > > > > >>1. Jurgen has comparable skills, but a more accessible, if not >>necessarily better, teaching technique. > >Well, we never really *saw* Michael's. Did we? > We saw some. Her first lesson (go for the kidneys) was in the first episode, and we saw some martial-arts training stuff after she had been Gelmanized (makes me think Regis). > >>2. Where Michael retreats, Jurgen engages. > >Michael retreats when necessary. I do believe he engages...ask Armel, ask >Damen Aral, ask Zalman who was so beautifully toyed with that Michael might as >well have been Madeline. By the way....ask Madeline and Operations. > >And, for engaging? As Nikita? She's been "engaged" by Michael once or twice. >heheh > Big time. OH yeah. >So has Lisa Fanning. So was Andrea. > >For me, Jurgen lacked finesse. He was more like a bull in a china shop. > There is something refreshing to me in his bluntness. Relating with Michael is so Zen-garden, read-between-the-lines time. Jurgen isn't cave man about it, but there's something to be said about a blunt object, wielded gently. (Now stop talking dirt, TJ! IO chastise myself.) >>3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares >>his emotions with her > >That's 'cause, a)he's got something over on Section and b)because of that he's >got nothing to lose. Michael has *everything* to lose. He is the Heir >Apparent and could lose that. He could be cancelled. Even worse, he knows and >has known the entire time that Nikita could be cancelled. Operations has >wanted her dead since the git go. Michael knows that and is cautious. Jurgen >doesn't and barrels in where he doesn't belong. > there is that, certainly. But I give J. full marks for having something to hold over Section's head. I take most of them away for being a trusting doofus, but they were there, nonetheless. Having everything to l,ose could, in another actor's place, have given Michael a more yearning, semi-reckless edge. RD has chosen to dial every emotion so far down that the opening of a pore evinces a gasp from his audience. That's fair, but it only makes me regard heart-on-sleeve-wearers as welcome relief from all this minimalism. >>4. Jurgen recognizes her need to have answers, e.g., to Jurgen the >>proper response to "Hey, how's the weather outside?" is not an >>enigmatic wince indicating despair over global warming as it might >>affect Adam if Michael were able to see Adam > >Michael has been in Section since he was 19. Everything is a double entendre. >Jurgen is just not bright enough to see it. That's why he ends up in bits and >Michael doesn't. > >hehehe > Well, Michael would have ended up in bits had Nikita not taken the Walter-tote he left behind and made good use of it. >>5. When Jurgen is wounded, he says "Ouch." > >Michael can't afford to say, "Ouch" and show weakness. > >See above. > Ah, can't afford, schmant afford. Vulnerable looks good on him. It works with Adam, didn't it? Besides, if he says "Ouch," Nikita can kiss whatever and make it better. >>6. Jurgen tells Nikita the truth; Michael manipulates Nikita by >>managing disinformation > >Oh, Michael tells her the truth. She just needs to look a little harder. And, >again, telling the truth doesn't exactly get Jurgen very far. Remember, he's >not a saint. He's been blackmailing Section the whole time. > Good for him. Compared to most, he's still in the plus column. >>7. Jurgen acknowledges Michael as a formidable rival and deals with >>it, head-on, while recognizing Nik's right to her choice in the >>matter. > >True. But, Michael sees the deeper politics going on. I also think he's a wee >bit conflicted by the whole idea that he's up against his former mentor. > Right. Let's say he's completely unnerved -- remember when N. told him she didn't feel like accepting his last minute, left-handed invitation to share vittles? But seeing the deeper politics is a choice Michael has made in order to survive, and he places Nikita constantly (although not in his hidden agenda life) as an also-ran to the larger context of gamesmanship Section plays. Jurgen knows the game is afoot, but he sees himself, even with his blackmail insurance, as being acted upon, not as a player. Michael sees himself as the windshield and the bug. Ewwww. Now that I said it, ewwwww. >>8. When Jurgen visits Nikita at her home, he acts like a guest. > >Hey. Michael's manners are always impeccable. And, by the time Jurgen shows >up, Michael and Nikita are already lovers. Lovers don't have to act like >guests. > Yeah, I knew it the moment I wrote it. What I meant was, Jurgen was a good guest. He looked good in her apartment, and she enjoyed entertaining him. Except for a moment when she drugged Michael while Gelmanized, I don't think she and Michael ever did anything couple-y at her place, except for making love. No reading Sunday papers, no arguing over who had to go out in the rain for milk, etc. Jurgen looked like he would be up to all of that, and change the litter box, too. >>9. Jurgen makes Nik smile. I think I remember a laugh, even. > >Now, all the other points are well taken and great but this is the best and I >just don't have a rebuttal except she was having a nice time at dinner in the >Premier........ :) > Yeah, right up until he pulled out the old Box o' Gun. >>Now, given all that, I can forgive him falling far short of Michael on >>the eye candy scale. > >Do NOT get me started on Michael's physical attributes. We'll be here all damn >day and Colin will get bored. heheheh > Chacun a son gout, as we diacritical marking-less folks say. >>In a perfect world, Michael would love me so >>much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from >>the present 79 rpms. > >You and me both. We could wear him right out. > The Dirt Doublemint Twins. I love it. TJ, who wouldn't mind being the creamy filling in a Michael-Jurgen cookie.

2001-02-21 17:04:05+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (silvrsharp@aol.comnospam)

<< >>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to >>bring back Jurgen. >> Okay, my turn. (Straightening shoulders.) The only reason I disliked Jurgen was the fact that Nikita was turning towards him and away from Michael (who was behaving like a shm--k with his "get over it" remarks). Jurgen himself seemed to have a sly sensuality that was very strong. Look at how many vehement postings the character generates! That's the sign of one that TPTB should have taken note of and used. Of course, back then they were a bit more realistic and dead really WAS dead. Come to think of it, I'm really glad it never occurred to them to reanimate him holographically. sharp (to e-mail, remove "no spam" from the address.)

2001-02-21 17:23:21+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (Myna <stish@nospamhome.com>)

"CAPTANNE" <captanne@aol.com> wrote in message news:20010221093301.10281.00000010@ng-fg1.aol.com... > >>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to > >>bring back Jurgen. > > IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm > mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn > nnnnnnnggggggggggg. > > Please.......not Jurgen. > > Oh Gawd Not Jurgen. > > He's BITS. JurgenBITS and will stay that way. > > Thank the Great Lord and the Saints and the Holy Virgin and..... > > You get my point. > > Anne > (Jurgen.....patooey. Feh.) Hey Anne, I'm getting this feeling yoose don't like Jergens very much! Myna :-P

2001-02-21 17:43:29+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

2001-02-21 19:00:50+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

2001-02-21 21:22:28-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

2001-02-21 22:23:16+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

2001-02-21 22:36:11+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

2001-02-22 11:35:15-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com>)

On 21 Feb 2001 22:23:16 GMT, captanne@aol.com (CAPTANNE) wrote: >>TJ, who wouldn't mind being the creamy filling in a Michael-Jurgen >>cookie. > >I was SO with you right until that image. > >HORK. > >Michael? Oh YA. Sign me up! > >Jurgen. Oh NONONONO. That is just so WRONG. > >hehehhehehh > >Anne What can I say? I'm old, I must have standards other than mere (!!) hunkitude by which I measure my fantasies. Would it help if I mentioned I find Martin Balsam sexy? TJ, ducking

2001-02-22 14:44:06+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (Myna <stish@nospamhome.com>)

<rita@writerrita.com> wrote in message news:hf899tor3jt0n0es978mb3lv8pkqq9ltl4@4ax.com... > >>TJ, who wouldn't mind being the creamy filling in a Michael-Jurgen > >>cookie. > > One word. EEEUUUUWWWWWWWWW! on so many levels. setting aside her cookie. Myna

2001-02-23 08:52:07-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

>RE: the dreaded J-creature: I will maintain 'til my dying day that the man was >both a traitor and a coward. And the arc showing Nikita's turn to J-beast from >Michael because, gods forbid!, Michael was using his brain after her return to >Section and expected her to at least try to do the same was the beginning of >the end for me liking Nikita's character at all. She was flouncing around >Section like a cheerleader who was trying to make the captain of the football >team jealous by hanging on the arm of captain of the basketball team. ::hork:: Donna,EXACTLY! As has been evidenced over the past 5 seasons, Michael has his share of keys to the dirty laundry as well. However, we've never seen him use it for personal gain or to flaunt authority. He has used it to save Nikita or to put the brakes on Ops and Maddy when they step too far over the line of decency. The difference between a person of integrity in an untenable situation and an extortionist. While I never disliked Nikita, the early S2 eps certainly caused me to lose respect for the character and it took quite a while for me to gain that back. I call that Nikita's "it's all about me" period. Much like her recent, "it's all about little Niki wants her daddy" period. Rita

2001-02-23 13:09:45-06:00 - Re: The reruns - (LAB <labrown16@mindspring.com>)

<<She was flouncing around Section like a cheerleader who was trying to make the captain of the football team jealous by hanging on the arm of captain of the basketball team. ::hork::>> No kidding, what the hell did she expect him to do...make out in the shadows with her. Flirt in front of everyone. Nikita was in for three years up to this point, she knew better. And as far as what the truth was about Jurgen, sure! He is going to admit to being a psychopath! Really!

2001-02-23 13:11:43-06:00 - Re: The reruns - (LAB <labrown16@mindspring.com>)

<<Jurgen. FEH. Patooey. :P>> And was it just me or did they put just a wee bit too much eyeliner on him?!

2001-02-23 13:47:58-06:00 - Re: The reruns - (LAB <labrown16@mindspring.com>)

Very Big Evil Grin :)

2001-02-23 16:22:43+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (epona7@aol.com)

>>But seeing the deeper politics is a >>choice Michael has made in order to survive, and he places Nikita >>constantly (although not in his hidden agenda life) as an also-ran to >>the larger context of gamesmanship Section plays. Hmmmm....I had to respond to this part. Are you saying that Michael prioritizing the aim of Section (which, before we were lost in this mire of backstabbing and in-fighting, was to save the world from terrorists) over the safety, welfare, self-involved pouting, what-have-you, of Nikita is a *fault*? Okay. Don't quite see it that way myself. RE: the dreaded J-creature: I will maintain 'til my dying day that the man was both a traitor and a coward. And the arc showing Nikita's turn to J-beast from Michael because, gods forbid!, Michael was using his brain after her return to Section and expected her to at least try to do the same was the beginning of the end for me liking Nikita's character at all. She was flouncing around Section like a cheerleader who was trying to make the captain of the football team jealous by hanging on the arm of captain of the basketball team. ::hork:: Words do not exist to express my contempt for the arc I still refer to as They Saved Nikita's Brain (in a pan in Maddy's office). Yuck. <vbeg> I now return you to your regularly scheduled ng already in progress. Donna aka ~~Pax (that's "peace", as in "rest in...") Walter's Wenches: Saucy Tarts Division (Twin Tart #2) "...and my psyche profile fit a certain moral flexibility..." Martin, "Grosse Pointe Blank"

2001-02-23 17:15:50+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

Michael's priorities. I've always held that Michael's first priority up until Up the Rabbit Hole (no spoilers without spoiler spaces, I promise) is Section One and The Mission. Why? We really have no concrete evidence but I think there is quite a bit of "atonement" going on in his complicated mind. (For his youthful indiscretions with L'Heur Sanguine.) His second agenda slowly develops into being Nikita and her welfare: FIRST as an excellent Section Operative who contributes to his first priority.......Section and The Mission. SECOND because he slowly falls in love with her and when he latches on to her in Gates of Hell he's in for the penny and in for the pound. So that's a tree........First Priority: Section One. Second Priority: Nikita. For two reasons that blur by the end....1. She's a good Operative who lends her talents (albeit begrudgingly) to The Mission and 2. As a lover. Look at War. That's the classic example. First Priority: Michael tells her the location of the substation and allows himself to be captured under a plausible scenario because he (well, Madeline, probably) knows it's the only way she'll crack. He does this for The Mission. Second Priority: Nikita's Protection. 1. He is there with Nikita for the escape. IE: To get back to Section. To bring the good Operative (Nikita) back to do her job for another day. And, 2. He really does care for her and is just starting to realize it. "It wasn't *all* a lie." Anne (Wow, I've dissected this show until it's in little bitty JurgenBits, haven't I? I wish I didn't love it so. I'm gonna miss it.) Jurgen. FEH. Patooey. :P Sorry I brought the name up but JurgenBits has become an integral part of my vocabulary.

2001-02-23 19:41:36+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (silvrsharp@aol.comnospam)

<< <vbeg> >> I have never been able to figure out this one. Can someone please enlighten me? sharp (to e-mail, remove "no spam" from the address.)

2001-02-23 20:22:24+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (Myna <stish@nospamhome.com>)

"LAB" <labrown16@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:976co2$l51$1@slb4.atl.mindspring.net... > <<Jurgen. FEH. Patooey. :P>> > > And was it just me or did they put just a wee bit too much eyeliner on him?! > > > LOL! I always thought it looked like he had something really sticky stuck to the roof of his mouth when he talked. Myna

2001-02-23 21:51:48-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

>Sorry I brought the name up but JurgenBits has become an integral part of my >vocabulary. Well, all right, Anne. As long as you always put the bits with it, then I guess it's tolerable. Rita

2001-02-23 23:22:00+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (silvrsharp@aol.comnospam)

<< From: "LAB" labrown16@mindspring.com Date: Fri, Feb 23, 2001 2:47 PM Message-id: <976erm$a64$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net> Very Big Evil Grin :) >> Thank you!! sharp (to e-mail, remove "no spam" from the address.)

2001-02-28 09:10:00-05:00 - Re: The reruns - ("[THE-WEB-WIZARD]" <email@the-web-wizard.com>)

Tante Joan wrote: > On 21 Feb 2001 14:33:01 GMT, captanne@aol.com (CAPTANNE) wrote: > > >>>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to > >>>bring back Jurgen. > > > >IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm > >mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn > >nnnnnnnggggggggggg. > > > >Please.......not Jurgen. > > > >Oh Gawd Not Jurgen. > > > >He's BITS. JurgenBITS and will stay that way. > > > >Thank the Great Lord and the Saints and the Holy Virgin and..... > > > >You get my point. > > > >Anne > >(Jurgen.....patooey. Feh.) > > Sorry, ma capitanne, but I have to confess it -- I agree with Jana. > Despite the dreadful accent -- and that's a gigantic hurdle to, well, > hurdle -- I find on second viewing of these episodes that I do like > Jurgen. Quite a lot. > Why? Let me count the ways, and the ways are all, I must admit, > anti-Michael. So let me preface things my declaring my passion for > Michael, even though I sometimes want to scream at his opaqueness and > resemblance to cigarette smoke, if cigarette smoke were typically > characterized as resembling brick wall.... > > 1. Jurgen has comparable skills, but a more accessible, if not > necessarily better, teaching technique. > 2. Where Michael retreats, Jurgen engages. > 3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares > his emotions with her > 4. Jurgen recognizes her need to have answers, e.g., to Jurgen the > proper response to "Hey, how's the weather outside?" is not an > enigmatic wince indicating despair over global warming as it might > affect Adam if Michael were able to see Adam > 5. When Jurgen is wounded, he says "Ouch." > 6. Jurgen tells Nikita the truth; Michael manipulates Nikita by > managing disinformation > 7. Jurgen acknowledges Michael as a formidable rival and deals with > it, head-on, while recognizing Nik's right to her choice in the > matter. > 8. When Jurgen visits Nikita at her home, he acts like a guest. > 9. Jurgen makes Nik smile. I think I remember a laugh, even. > > Now, given all that, I can forgive him falling far short of Michael on > the eye candy scale. And while I certainly do not have a personal, > burning desire to see his ass, I can remember one or two men in my > life whom I loved dearly without having world class butts. Or dreamy > eyes. Or superior hair. In a perfect world, Michael would love me so > much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from > the present 79 rpms. (I cry as I type this, knowing in advance of > hitting "send" that there are people who will read this and not know > what those numbers mean. I cry for them, and for me, older than > dirt.) > > Tante "My Native American name is 'Never Buys Retail' " Joan > > [p&e] Joan, I was going to reply to this thread with some pro-Jurgen statements, but.. you said it the best!! Jurgen was a good guy. don't get me wrong, I'm all about Mikey and Nik, but.. Jurgen was a good guy. PS: I'm an oldie too, at least, old enough to get your reference above! :o) Faria icq: 1476464

2001-02-28 09:18:58-05:00 - Hey you guys!! [Was: Jurgen/the reruns] - ("[THE-WEB-WIZARD]" <email@the-web-wizard.com>)

**I'm not snipping so be prepared.....** CAPTANNE wrote: > >Despite the dreadful accent -- and that's a gigantic hurdle to, well, > >hurdle -- I find on second viewing of these episodes that I do like > >Jurgen. Quite a lot. > > I thought his inconsistent accent, his hair that rivals Ferret Fella (if I dare > quoting Chandler from Charity), and his glasses were atrocious. > > >1. Jurgen has comparable skills, but a more accessible, if not > >necessarily better, teaching technique. > > Well, we never really *saw* Michael's. Did we? > > >2. Where Michael retreats, Jurgen engages. > > Michael retreats when necessary. I do believe he engages...ask Armel, ask > Damen Aral, ask Zalman who was so beautifully toyed with that Michael might as > well have been Madeline. By the way....ask Madeline and Operations. > > And, for engaging? As Nikita? She's been "engaged" by Michael once or twice. > heheh > > So has Lisa Fanning. So was Andrea. > > For me, Jurgen lacked finesse. He was more like a bull in a china shop. > > >3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares > >his emotions with her > > That's 'cause, a)he's got something over on Section and b)because of that he's > got nothing to lose. Michael has *everything* to lose. He is the Heir > Apparent and could lose that. He could be cancelled. Even worse, he knows and > has known the entire time that Nikita could be cancelled. Operations has > wanted her dead since the git go. Michael knows that and is cautious. Jurgen > doesn't and barrels in where he doesn't belong. > > >4. Jurgen recognizes her need to have answers, e.g., to Jurgen the > >proper response to "Hey, how's the weather outside?" is not an > >enigmatic wince indicating despair over global warming as it might > >affect Adam if Michael were able to see Adam > > Michael has been in Section since he was 19. Everything is a double entendre. > Jurgen is just not bright enough to see it. That's why he ends up in bits and > Michael doesn't. > > hehehe > > >5. When Jurgen is wounded, he says "Ouch." > > Michael can't afford to say, "Ouch" and show weakness. > > See above. > > >6. Jurgen tells Nikita the truth; Michael manipulates Nikita by > >managing disinformation > > Oh, Michael tells her the truth. She just needs to look a little harder. And, > again, telling the truth doesn't exactly get Jurgen very far. Remember, he's > not a saint. He's been blackmailing Section the whole time. > > >7. Jurgen acknowledges Michael as a formidable rival and deals with > >it, head-on, while recognizing Nik's right to her choice in the > >matter. > > True. But, Michael sees the deeper politics going on. I also think he's a wee > bit conflicted by the whole idea that he's up against his former mentor. > > >8. When Jurgen visits Nikita at her home, he acts like a guest. > > Hey. Michael's manners are always impeccable. And, by the time Jurgen shows > up, Michael and Nikita are already lovers. Lovers don't have to act like > guests. > > >9. Jurgen makes Nik smile. I think I remember a laugh, even. > > Now, all the other points are well taken and great but this is the best and I > just don't have a rebuttal except she was having a nice time at dinner in the > Premier........ :) > > >Now, given all that, I can forgive him falling far short of Michael on > >the eye candy scale. > > Do NOT get me started on Michael's physical attributes. We'll be here all damn > day and Colin will get bored. heheheh > > >In a perfect world, Michael would love me so > >much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from > >the present 79 rpms. > > You and me both. We could wear him right out. > > Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to get personal about Himself. But REALLY it's so > difficult sometimes. > > Great post! > > Anne > (Who needs a Michael fix, now. Great Lord and the Saints and the Stars are all > aligned............) ** Ahh yes, here comes my post, finally ** I loved this thread, this discussion, and agreed on some levels with both sides of these posts. I just wanted to say, THIS is what I enjoy about being a part of this newsgroup! So... thanks guys! I've loved this show from the start and I'm glad I found a place where I can "be around" other LFN addicts! I always knew this show was special, and had a higer quality of fan base too.. and you guys really prove that. :o) Faria icq: 1476464

2001-02-28 13:20:50-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

2001-02-28 20:29:42-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com>)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:20:50 -0800, rita@writerrita.com wrote: >> Or superior hair. In a perfect world, Michael would love me so >>> much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from >>> the present 79 rpms. (I cry as I type this, knowing in advance of >>> hitting "send" that there are people who will read this and not know >>> what those numbers mean. I cry for them, and for me, older than >>> dirt.) >>> >>> Tante "My Native American name is 'Never Buys Retail' " Joan > >Uh, I get the 33 1/3 but missed the point on 79 rpms. I've never >heard that one. It was a typo. TJ

2001-03-01 10:54:09-08:00 - Re: The reruns - (rita@writerrita.com)

2001-03-01 15:57:28-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com>)

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:54:09 -0800, rita@writerrita.com wrote: >> >>>Uh, I get the 33 1/3 but missed the point on 79 rpms. I've never >>>heard that one. >> >>It was a typo. >>TJ >TJ, i wasn't sure if you had seen some of that speed. According to >experts, there was a time when the speeds weren't standard and they >recorded from 76 on up. So, I thought maybe you had seen a 79 rpm >although I'd never heard of one. I hope my post didn't come across as >snippy. Not my intention at all. >Rita Not at all. I was just hoping not to have been caught! It's like recommending Heinz ketchup and citing its 56 varieties. TJ

2001-03-02 01:47:06+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (silvrsharp@aol.comnospam)

<< Subject: Re: The reruns From: Tante Joan tantejoan@nettaxi.com Date: Thu, Mar 1, 2001 3:57 PM Message-id: <drdt9tc8735g28egvunuj44o63do1oqoml@4ax.com> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:54:09 -0800, rita@writerrita.com wrote: >> >>>Uh, I get the 33 1/3 but missed the point on 79 rpms. I've never >>>heard that one. >> >>It was a typo. >>TJ >TJ, i wasn't sure if you had seen some of that speed. According to >experts, there was a time when the speeds weren't standard and they >recorded from 76 on up. So, I thought maybe you had seen a 79 rpm >although I'd never heard of one. I hope my post didn't come across as >snippy. Not my intention at all. >Rita Not at all. I was just hoping not to have been caught! It's like recommending Heinz ketchup and citing its 56 varieties. TJ >> See? See? I am SO going to miss the grownup postings here, where we (mostly) behave like grownups. (All right Natalie and Anne, put the underwear DOWN. I mean it. Don't make me come over there!) sharp (to e-mail, remove "no spam" from the address.)

2001-03-02 04:23:25+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

>(All right Natalie and Anne, put the underwear DOWN. I >mean it. Don't make me come over there!) > >sharp Much as I find the underwear thread screamingly hilarious.....I found the end of LFN a GREAT excuse to go out and buy myself a killer Haute Couture black outfit (God, I love our Neiman Marcus here in DC) with some fabulous cool ass shoes and a hat with a veil. I might wear gloves. The pearls, I already had. The Veuve Cliquot is chilling as we speak. Underwear on my head? Not bloody likely. Anne hehehehehehhe

2001-03-03 16:25:04+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (trajan <trajan@optonline.net>)

Tante Joan wrote: > > On 21 Feb 2001 14:33:01 GMT, captanne@aol.com (CAPTANNE) wrote: > > >>>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to > >>>bring back Jurgen. > > > >IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm > >mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn > >nnnnnnnggggggggggg. > > > >Please.......not Jurgen. > > > >Oh Gawd Not Jurgen. > > > >He's BITS. JurgenBITS and will stay that way. > > > >Thank the Great Lord and the Saints and the Holy Virgin and..... > > > >You get my point. > > > >Anne > >(Jurgen.....patooey. Feh.) > > Sorry, ma capitanne, but I have to confess it -- I agree with Jana. > Despite the dreadful accent -- and that's a gigantic hurdle to, well, > hurdle -- I find on second viewing of these episodes that I do like > Jurgen. Quite a lot. > Why? Let me count the ways, and the ways are all, I must admit, > anti-Michael. So let me preface things my declaring my passion for > Michael, even though I sometimes want to scream at his opaqueness and > resemblance to cigarette smoke, if cigarette smoke were typically > characterized as resembling brick wall.... > > 1. Jurgen has comparable skills, but a more accessible, if not > necessarily better, teaching technique. > 2. Where Michael retreats, Jurgen engages. > 3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares > his emotions with her > 4. Jurgen recognizes her need to have answers, e.g., to Jurgen the > proper response to "Hey, how's the weather outside?" is not an > enigmatic wince indicating despair over global warming as it might > affect Adam if Michael were able to see Adam > 5. When Jurgen is wounded, he says "Ouch." > 6. Jurgen tells Nikita the truth; Michael manipulates Nikita by > managing disinformation > 7. Jurgen acknowledges Michael as a formidable rival and deals with > it, head-on, while recognizing Nik's right to her choice in the > matter. > 8. When Jurgen visits Nikita at her home, he acts like a guest. > 9. Jurgen makes Nik smile. I think I remember a laugh, even. > > Now, given all that, I can forgive him falling far short of Michael on > the eye candy scale. And while I certainly do not have a personal, > burning desire to see his ass, I can remember one or two men in my > life whom I loved dearly without having world class butts. Or dreamy > eyes. Or superior hair. In a perfect world, Michael would love me so > much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from > the present 79 rpms. (I cry as I type this, knowing in advance of > hitting "send" that there are people who will read this and not know > what those numbers mean. I cry for them, and for me, older than > dirt.) > > Tante "My Native American name is 'Never Buys Retail' " Joan > > [p&e] YES! What she said. And strange as it may seem, Payne seems to have fared better as Jurgen than in any of his other (strange and bizarre) endeavors. Musta been the weird accent that ruined his career. Trajan

2001-03-03 16:27:38+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (trajan <trajan@optonline.net>)

CAPTANNE wrote: > > > > > >3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares > >his emotions with her > > That's 'cause, a)he's got something over on Section and b)because of that he's > got nothing to lose. Michael has *everything* to lose. He is the Heir > Apparent and could lose that. Don't you mean the Hair Apparent? Trajan (sorry. I couldn't resist.)

2001-03-03 19:36:29+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

2001-03-04 06:53:31-08:00 - Re: The reruns - ("Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net>)

"CAPTANNE" <captanne@aol.com> wrote in message news:20010304094759.05696.00000427@ng-cm1.aol.com... > >I don't know...he did a darned good job as the bad guy in the final > >Highlander > >movie ("End Game"). > > I never said the *actor* isn't any good. I thought he was fine in Passenger > 57. > > It's the Jay man I loathe. hork hack catyack > > Anne > I have Highlander: Endgame on DVD, and have had a hard time getting through it. The plot makes little sense to me. The character that Bruce Payne plays lives such a pointless life that his acting ability is not very relevant. Colin

2001-03-04 07:40:13-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Morgan <kf4ytr@crosswinds.net>)

"trajan" <trajan@optonline.net> wrote in message news:3AA14426.44521074@optonline.net... > Tante Joan wrote: > > > > On 21 Feb 2001 14:33:01 GMT, captanne@aol.com (CAPTANNE) wrote: > > > > >>>Since so many shows bring back dead folks, I wish they'd find a way to > > >>>bring back Jurgen. > > > > > >IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm > > >mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn > > >nnnnnnnggggggggggg. > > > > > >Please.......not Jurgen. > > > > > >Oh Gawd Not Jurgen. > > > > > >He's BITS. JurgenBITS and will stay that way. > > > > > >Thank the Great Lord and the Saints and the Holy Virgin and..... > > > > > >You get my point. > > > > > >Anne > > >(Jurgen.....patooey. Feh.) > > > > Sorry, ma capitanne, but I have to confess it -- I agree with Jana. > > Despite the dreadful accent -- and that's a gigantic hurdle to, well, > > hurdle -- I find on second viewing of these episodes that I do like > > Jurgen. Quite a lot. > > Why? Let me count the ways, and the ways are all, I must admit, > > anti-Michael. So let me preface things my declaring my passion for > > Michael, even though I sometimes want to scream at his opaqueness and > > resemblance to cigarette smoke, if cigarette smoke were typically > > characterized as resembling brick wall.... > > > > 1. Jurgen has comparable skills, but a more accessible, if not > > necessarily better, teaching technique. > > 2. Where Michael retreats, Jurgen engages. > > 3. Without wussily opening veins and bleeding for Nik, Jurgen shares > > his emotions with her > > 4. Jurgen recognizes her need to have answers, e.g., to Jurgen the > > proper response to "Hey, how's the weather outside?" is not an > > enigmatic wince indicating despair over global warming as it might > > affect Adam if Michael were able to see Adam > > 5. When Jurgen is wounded, he says "Ouch." > > 6. Jurgen tells Nikita the truth; Michael manipulates Nikita by > > managing disinformation > > 7. Jurgen acknowledges Michael as a formidable rival and deals with > > it, head-on, while recognizing Nik's right to her choice in the > > matter. > > 8. When Jurgen visits Nikita at her home, he acts like a guest. > > 9. Jurgen makes Nik smile. I think I remember a laugh, even. > > > > Now, given all that, I can forgive him falling far short of Michael on > > the eye candy scale. And while I certainly do not have a personal, > > burning desire to see his ass, I can remember one or two men in my > > life whom I loved dearly without having world class butts. Or dreamy > > eyes. Or superior hair. In a perfect world, Michael would love me so > > much he would turn the switch on his inner turntable up to 33 1/3 from > > the present 79 rpms. (I cry as I type this, knowing in advance of > > hitting "send" that there are people who will read this and not know > > what those numbers mean. I cry for them, and for me, older than > > dirt.) > > > > Tante "My Native American name is 'Never Buys Retail' " Joan > > > > [p&e] > > YES! What she said. And strange as it may seem, Payne seems to > have fared better as Jurgen than in any of his other (strange and > bizarre) endeavors. > > Musta been the weird accent that ruined his career. > > Trajan I don't know...he did a darned good job as the bad guy in the final Highlander movie ("End Game"). -- Morgan "...can't wait to put that one on my resume." -- Darien Fawkes

2001-03-04 14:47:59+00:00 - Re: The reruns - (captanne@aol.com)

2001-03-05 02:43:51-05:00 - Re: The reruns - (Morgan <kf4ytr@crosswinds.net>)

"Colin L. Whipple" <colinwNSPM@power.net> wrote in message news:ta4llsefnvfgc7@news.supernews.com... > > "CAPTANNE" <captanne@aol.com> wrote in message > news:20010304094759.05696.00000427@ng-cm1.aol.com... > > >I don't know...he did a darned good job as the bad guy in the final > > >Highlander > > >movie ("End Game"). > > > > I never said the *actor* isn't any good. I thought he was fine in > Passenger > > 57. > > > > It's the Jay man I loathe. hork hack catyack > > > > Anne > > > > I have Highlander: Endgame on DVD, and have had a hard time getting through > it. The plot makes little sense to me. > > The character that Bruce Payne plays lives such a pointless life that his > acting ability is not very relevant. > > Colin > > > I own it too, and I think you have to be bordering on the obsessive as a Highlander fan to find a plot at all. That said, I am beyond an obsessive fan, and it was still confusing. I understood that the movie's purposes were: a) To tie up loose story ends from the first movie, b) To have a halfway decent ending for the tv series, c) To prove, once again, that "there can be only one" (Connor v. Duncan), and d) To hopefully close out the Highlander universe on a positive note. Unfortunately, the movie only seemed to accomplish (a) and (c), for me anyway. As for the tv series, I stopped watching when Ritchie died. And you're right: Payne's character could have been written much better than that. He certainly has the ability to portray a more complex character. -- Morgan "...can't wait to put that one on my resume." -- Darien Fawkes