FLM films - My Webpage

1998-07-31 00:00:00 - Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (rikadan@voicenet.com)

Hi! I was just at Border Books, and a magazine cover with Peta on it really caught my eye! I bought it for $2.99 (US). It says it's a new mens' magazine, but it's more like a regular magazine than say, Playboy. (No nudity) There are some incredible new pictures of Peta in it! You *guys* would especially like pages 14, 76 & 79! I like the one on page 75. Page 48 is a full page ad for LFN! The title of the article is "Cherchez la femme" and in smaller print "On TV Peta Wilson is deadly. In real life, Jonathan Bernstein discovers, she's just dangerous." It's part interview/part story. Sorry if someone already posted about this. Kathy K.

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (dentav@aol.com)

Ladies, I was not making an indictment of latch key kids and parents. I was simply saying that they are at a greater risk because of their being left alone. But if the parenting is good then that being left alone is a STRENGTH and not a weakness because at some point our kids have to be trusted and be left alone. So trust me, I was NOT taking issue with latch key kids per say. Rather kids who are left to their own devices on issues like this. The issue was smoking and young women. When we begin to cloud the issue by refocusing it on the latch key parents or the parenting styles of people we then play right into the tobacco companies hands and perpetuate the problem. Yes, it is done best in one's own back yard but coming from 'it takes a village to raise a child' philosophy I welcome all the positive assistance I can get. I didn't view the picture as a positive thing. Sorry. I wasn't trying to turn the NG into a parenting forum but rather express a concern over the actions of one of the stars. No she is not a saint and should not live like one. But even Madonna now that she has her own child wishes she would have done things publically different because she knows the messages she sent were not always the best ones for younger people to hear. Denise Who wished no one would have taken issue with an example she used. Studies do indicate latch key teenagers have higher risks. Thats not bad parenting but a societal problem. IMHO

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (dentav@aol.com)

>. I remember my >kids as very young seeing thier aunt smoke and pick up a crayon or whatever >and >stick it in their mouths and pretent to smoke ...while aping the Bette Davis >type smoking attitude. Made made me want to smack my sister in the head. Perfect example of my point Domino. Geez when I was a kid they sold CANDY cigarettes. Yes, I smoked and not just cigarettes either (explains ALOT for you doesn't it. <BG>) My high school even offered a smoking lounge for TEENAGERS back in the 70s-80s. So things have changed quite a bit. I really dont' feel that relieved that other parts of the world now smoke more than we do. That will undoubtedly be where the US companies make up their losses on polluting third world countries ignorant to the health hazards and financially unstable enough to handle the consequences. And I agree with Suzita that Gerald Ford was great to ban those ads on TV. Now if we can get them off of the tv shows it would be great. For awhile they were rare on TV but studies of late show that more movies, videos, tv shows and print media feature the star or the focus of the piece with a cigarette. So its not Peta's problem. She is just one person perpetuating a greater problem. IMHO. 'Just because we are able to do something doesn't mean we should...'- Michael Denise Who is not trying to be judgemental. I don't dislike Peta or people who smoke. But I've see the destruction it can cause and it ain't pretty...

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (Kat <kathe001@email.msn.com>)

I'm not surprised she smokes, either - 'cause I think it's evident in her voice. Kat...who'd just like to add: since I'm not talking about things I know nothing about, suffice it to say that a *lot* of things make up a person, as a parent you do the best you can, and do a whole lot of praying. Wickddoll wrote in message <35c3391f.504720@news.turbont.net>... >Same here, Denise... besides, she works out, so she is putting TWICE >the stress on her cardiovascular system! It would be better if she >only smoked, without the workout. Stupid, stupid, stupid - did I >mention that it's STUPID? > >:-P > >Natalie, disappointed, but not really surprised. > >On 1 Aug 1998 13:05:08 GMT, dentav@aol.com (Dentav) wrote: > >>Actually the idea of her sitting on a toilet doesn't bother me as much as the >>cigarette she had dangling from her mouth. >> >>Lord knows there is enough enticement for young women (TEENAGERS) to think its >>cool to smoke and someone like Peta making it look 'cool' doesn't help in a >>parents plight to encourage otherwise. >> >>Denise >>Worried parent realizing Peta's exercising her rights but questioning her >>judgement.... > > >(remove "nospam" from email address to reply) > >"Wicked little doll, you are not human" >"Wicked little doll, you have no soul" (David Byrne, 1997)

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (Amy <ggrant1@san.rr.com>)

More than one way to see an elephant...I thought she looked way cool.....too bad she smokes, but to each her own,....and maybe saying more here than necessary, my husband really liked the potty shot! ( and the tree, and the inside cover, and the one with the cool shoes and see through dress).... Later, AmyKG ~~hmm...smolking and potty...must be a time saving way of doing things Silvrsharp wrote: in article > Sorry, I glanced at those photos at the newstand this morning and thought some > were incredibly tacky. And the one of her sitting on the toilet--I thought she > had more class than that.

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (clbcrb@aol.com)

>Denise >Worried parent realizing Peta's exercising her rights but questioning her >judgement.... Best to keep young girls from reading what is marketed as a "Men's Magazine" in my opinion. There is a market for this type of magazine and I don't think that their first motivation is or should be the fact that a young girl might happen accross it. Personally I don't Want to live in aa homogenized society. LFN is also a show that is geared toward adults. If Peta has lots of young fans it is because their parents allow them to watch the show. It would then be up to the parent if this is allowed to point out that something you don't agrree with about this actress choices is that she smokes in RL. Then step back and watch the effect that your displeasure has on your teenager. In my experience all the parental negative reaction feeds the need of the teenager to rebel and do the opposite of what you had hoped for. Peta Wilson seems to be a very outgoing , open, enthusiactic and hard working actress. Full of life and energy. She has far more qualities that are admirable than can be pointed out then the unpopular little personal habit that has become so taboo in America. Smoking is still very popular in other countries...don't forget, PW is not an American. I'm not saying I like or want anyone I care about to smoke, I'm just saying when I see a celebrity smoke I don't think that it affects my children one iota. Kids start smoking fo one reason and one reason only. Because their friends do. It begins as a social reaction and then become a habit. Domino

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (dentav@aol.com)

Domino, I agree with you that the show is geared to adults, that the magazine was as well and that ultimately its the parents responsibility to see that children don't pick up a habit like smoking. But the reality is that LFN has a large number of under 18 viewers. That picture can be accessed by ANYONE as soon as its scanned on a web page and studies show that if a person has not picked up the smoking habit by age 19 like 98% of the time they will NOT later in life in most circumstances. That is compelling statistically about the influence on a highly influenced group of young adults. No, that is not saying that Peta will encourage them to smoke but rather the underlying message of 'look how cool' I am to an impressionable teenager (especially girls) does NOT help trying to keep them from picking up the habit. And teenage girls are the fastest growing rate of smokers in the US. Is this Peta's problem. Not really. However because she is in a unique position of having the attention and adoration of the teenagers who admire her (I know LFN fans as young as 15) and LISTEN to her she could use her position wisely to HELP young women. Just as she may someday share her plight of bulimia to help young women. Yes, it is the parents responsibility ultimately. My daughter doesn't smoke so I am not worried about MY daughter. Rather, the daughters who are latch key kids who surf the net who think Peta is cool and maybe are impressionable and are facing peer pressure to do so. These kids sometimes just need an extra subliminal push to make the fall. Not every parent is in touch with their daughter as I am with mine. Those kids are the ones I'm concerned about. No, this doesn't mean Peta should stop smoking for mine or anyone else's sake. It means she should make sure that the image she is projecting is one she can live with when she has her own kids and these are then her concerns. JMHO Denise

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (Wickddollnospam@hotmail.com)

[...]

Denise wrote: > > Yes, it is the parents responsibility ultimately. My daughter doesn't smoke so > I am not worried about MY daughter. Rather, the daughters who are latch key > kids who surf the net who think Peta is cool and maybe are impressionable and > are facing peer pressure to do so. These kids sometimes just need an extra > subliminal push to make the fall. Not every parent is in touch with their > daughter as I am with mine. Those kids are the ones I'm concerned about. This might not be the place, but I think it is unfair and unwise to assume that latch ley kids are not watched, cared for or in tune with their parents....and as for concern, all kids deserve it! Many a preacher's ( or rabbi) daughter/ son has found themselves in trouble....I for one would like us to keep our views of parenting and what is wrong or right from our NG! > No, this doesn't mean Peta should stop smoking for mine or anyone else's sake. > It means she should make sure that the image she is projecting is one she can > live with when she has her own kids and these are then her concerns. Apparently..she can live with it! AmyKG who respects all and their choices, and not in a position to make judgements!

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (Suzita <SUGEO@worldnet.att.net>)

Clbcrb wrote in message < >Kids start smoking fo one reason and one reason only. Because their friends >do. It begins as a social reaction and then become >a habit. > >Domino Actually, I started smoking when I was a kid because I saw all the adults at my folks' parties smoking. Women wandering around in Capri pants with sandal pumps, and men in trousers and loafers. All with a drink in one hand and a cigarette (with a really long ash that defied gravity) in the other. I thought they looked cool and carefree. But once I began to take my health and my sports more seriously, I saw what 'cool' really was and gave it up. Kids are more influence by their parents. It's as young adults that 'kids' are influence by their friends....take college. Saw more young people take up smoking cuz their friends did. Suzita (grateful that Gerald Ford managed to get cigarette ads banned on TV)

Dentav wrote in message >It means she should make sure that the image she is projecting is one she can >live with when she has her own kids and these are then her concerns. And like many of us who did drugs and cavorted (or any other illicit activities) in our younger years, we deal with these things as they arise. We bring our understanding of what is good for those we are responsible for to the decision-making efforts. What we held in our youth is rarely what we hold as adults. The studios in the old days used to keep a lot of actors' skeletons in the closets, portraying false images for the sake of fans. Down the road, many actors, when revealed for 'what they were' had a hard time getting work. And people felt deceived (I think of Rock Hudson, for one). Impressions are deceiving. I respect her honesty (and her agent's, and the studio's) for showing us who she really is. And one lousy habit should not detract from her ability as a performer...which is why we are interested in her in the first place. The two sides of their worlds are separate. Hell, I still support Woody Allen's talent and support his movies by seeing them. I may not admire his personal choices, but I don't let that cloud my perception of his talents. Suzita (diplomat)

> [...]

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (clbcrb@aol.com)

>Actually, I started smoking when I was a kid because I saw all the adults at >my folks' parties smoking. Women wandering around in Capri pants with >sandal pumps, and men in trousers and loafers. All with a drink in one hand >and a cigarette (with a really long ash that defied gravity) in the other. >I thought they looked cool and carefree. > >But once I began to take my health and my sports more seriously, I saw what >'cool' really was and gave it up. Kids are more influence by their >parents. It's as young adults that 'kids' are influence by their >friends....take college. Saw more young people take up smoking cuz their >friends did. > >Suzita (grateful that Gerald Ford managed to get cigarette ads banned on TV) > Suzita...yep, I was being way to general here. I also believe kids try to emulate their parents and from a much youger age then teen. I remember my kids as very young seeing thier aunt smoke and pick up a crayon or whatever and stick it in their mouths and pretent to smoke ...while aping the Bette Davis type smoking attitude. Made made me want to smack my sister in the head. Domino

Amy wisely said.... >....I for one would like us to keep our views of parenting and what is wrong or right from our NG! AmyKG >> Thanks Amy...I already posted with regard to this before I got to your post. Wish I had read on. You are so right and this is not the place for this little discussion to take place. After all, as we all know...there isn't any day care center in Section ! LOL Domino

1998-08-01 00:00:00 - Re: Run & get "Gear" Magazine for great Peta pictures & story! - (silvrsharp@aol.com)