FLM films - My Webpage

2001-08-05 18:22:14-07:00 - The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (shermanlee1@hotmail.com)

According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the world. The question is who. We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is international in scope. So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to know about the existence of Section? Shermanlee

2001-08-05 22:08:24-04:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (Myna <mynabird30@hotmail.com>)

"Johnny1A" <shermanlee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b3030854.0108051722.359cec9c@posting.google.com... > According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the > Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also > informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." > > That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the > world. The question is who. > > We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). > Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of > a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some > others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is > international in scope. > > So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about > it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least > a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section > chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. > > So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to > know about the existence of Section? > > Shermanlee Great question. Curious to some of the answers. As a side note...here's a rhetorical question...Who would "want" to know? Personally, I would rather be in the dark, then to become a target to terrorist groups that might get hold of the info, or to section itself for knowing that they exist. Myna -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

2001-08-06 03:20:15+00:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (ticklejw@jtsoft.net)

This post got me thinking a lot... Perhaps he does not answer to someone in the world. Maybe its someone outside the world. OOOOH!!!! Good plot to continue La Femme Nikita!!! There are space aliens that control the Earth. NO WAIT even better: The aliens play chess together, and instead of a chess board with white and black, they have an entire planet with Section and Red Cell. YES!!! And THAT is who the Big Cheese reports to!!!!!! *sigh* I want more episodes... -Jeff > According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the > Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also > informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." > > That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the > world. The question is who. > > We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). > Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of > a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some > others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is > international in scope. > > So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about > it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least > a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section > chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. > > So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to > know about the existence of Section? > > Shermanlee -- _____________________________ Jeff Tickle ticklejw@jtsoft.net http://www.jtsoft.net

2001-08-06 17:08:17-04:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com>)

On 5 Aug 2001 18:22:14 -0700, shermanlee1@hotmail.com (Johnny1A) wrote: >According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the >Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also >informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." > > That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the >world. The question is who. > > We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). >Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of >a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some >others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is >international in scope. > > So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about >it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least >a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section >chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. > > So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to >know about the existence of Section? > Hmmmm, excellent. I'm of the opinion that Section One (and, possibly, all the Sections) holds the international equivalent or similar status that MI5, MI6, the CIA, NSA, FBI, Mossad, etc. do in individual countries. Therefore they must be held within a hierarchy similar to these entities. They could, for example, be managed by a World Security Agency, with a brief to do whatever, go wherever, etc., in cases where diplomacy is either not an option or is being used as a parallel track. Who knows about them? Probably an oversight committee comprised of highly experienced intelligence and operational administrators from major powers NOT involved in terrorism. I would also assume that, for obvious reasons, the Secretary-General of the United Nations would not have a role to play in Section(s) oversight, but that a key member of the U.N. Secretariat would. Or not! TJ

2001-08-06 19:39:05-07:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (shermanlee1@hotmail.com)

Tante Joan <tantejoan@nettaxi.com> wrote in message news:<971umtsfj49p2ac4p608a4daggtq77a42a@4ax.com>... > On 5 Aug 2001 18:22:14 -0700, shermanlee1@hotmail.com (Johnny1A) > wrote: > > >According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the > >Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also > >informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." > > > > That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the > >world. The question is who. > > > > We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). > >Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of > >a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some > >others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is > >international in scope. > > > > So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about > >it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least > >a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section > >chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. > > > > So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to > >know about the existence of Section? > > > Hmmmm, excellent. I'm of the opinion that Section One (and, possibly, > all the Sections) holds the international equivalent or similar status > that MI5, MI6, the CIA, NSA, FBI, Mossad, etc. do in individual > countries. Therefore they must be held within a hierarchy similar to > these entities. They could, for example, be managed by a World > Security Agency, with a brief to do whatever, go wherever, etc., in > cases where diplomacy is either not an option or is being used as a > parallel track. Who knows about them? Probably an oversight > committee comprised of highly experienced intelligence and operational > administrators from major powers NOT involved in terrorism. I would > also assume that, for obvious reasons, the Secretary-General of the > United Nations would not have a role to play in Section(s) oversight, > but that a key member of the U.N. Secretariat would. > > Or not! > TJ Good response. As for who would have to know and who almost certainly _could not_ be told, we run into a problem. To give an example, the President of the United States. I don't believe for a second that the president would be told. It would be too risky. Every 4 to 8 years, a new president comes in. Just as a matter of odds, sooner or later you're going to get one who'll take one look at Section (assuming presidents are told) and get the creepy crawlies. All it takes is one person with some conscience, or a stickler for law and order, and you've got Trouble for Section with a capitol T! To make it worse, once he/she knew, the U.S. President (or British Prime Minister, or equivalent officials for other countries) would be tricky to deal with. They are extensively protected from assassination and the like, and if the heads of state know, the idea that one of them might be murdered for deviating from the official line might give _all_ of them the wobblies! Considering that Section is in-and-of-itself an illegal organization, being the liaison for it with the governments is going to be a high risk job. My guess is that a small group (a _very_ small group) of intelligence officers in the national intelligence outfits, is the 'colleagues' Nikita's father spoke to her about. They would have to be highly placed, and have long-term tenure of position. According to Adrian, Section has been in operation at least since the early sixties, and maybe since the late fifties. Here's the real test: Section would have to go through a _lot_ of money. Even so, Michael says to Operations at one point something to the effect that they have financial limits. Where does Section get all that money, and how to they hide the flow of cash? Shermanlee

2001-08-06 20:03:20-07:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (Colin Whipple <colinw666@yahoo.com>)

I thought we learned from Rudy in Innocent that Birkoff was the Big Cheese? :-) Colin

2001-08-10 00:35:27-04:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (Morgan <kf4ytr@crosswinds.net>)

Johnny1A <shermanlee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b3030854.0108051722.359cec9c@posting.google.com... > According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the > Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also > informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." > > That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the > world. The question is who. > > We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). > Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of > a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some > others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is > international in scope. > > So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about > it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least > a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section > chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. > > So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to > know about the existence of Section? > > Shermanlee I think of Center, Oversight and the Sections in this way, based on things said by Operations, Adrian, and "The Big Cheese". Keep in mind that most of what you will read is straight out of my own mind, and also that I *still* have not seen every episode of the series yet: It all started with the first Section, presumably Section One. This was started by Adrian as an anti-terrorist organization without jurisdiction (this was necessary to be able to fight certain rivals otherwise protected by their government). Soon Adrian realized that Section needed *someone* to answer to, so together with George she created Oversight. She turned Section over to a very capable young operative named Paul. Since Oversight was sort of a checks-and-balances type organization for the Sections, and not a full-fledged "parent" organization, there was a need for a centralized leadership and coordination effort to keep the Sections and Oversight from possibly splitting apart. It would need to be purely objective, meaning no one involved in the formation of Section and Oversight could be the head of this new firm. Thus was born Center, who answered to no one in the world but themselves. The head of Center obviously could not be known to the Sections or Oversight, therefore people like Mick Schtoppel were used to represent this person, using the pseudonym "Mr. Jones" when dealing with the lower agencies. The only thing I can't come up with is why Nikita's father was picked as the head of Center. And, since according to my theory he could have no ties to Oversight or Section, who then does he have ties to? We know he answers to no one but himself, so he would have to be a man who wouldn't give in to personal feelings and wouldn't be ambitious about ruling the world. He would, by definition, have to be a truly righteous and selfless person. Just my spontaneous musings at midnight. Feel free to correct anything that contradicts the canon. -- Morgan

2001-08-10 21:39:47-07:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (shermanlee1@hotmail.com)

"Morgan" <kf4ytr@crosswinds.net> wrote in message news:<3b736420$1_1@spamkiller.newsgroups.com>... > Johnny1A <shermanlee1@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:b3030854.0108051722.359cec9c@posting.google.com... > > According to the series, as Head of Center, Nikita's father was the > > Top Dog, the Big Cheese (I believe those were his words). He also > > informs her later that he is, "...the head of Center, not a king." > > > > That implies that he himself in answerable to _somebody_ in the > > world. The question is who. > > > > We've seen Operations refer to "the Agencies" (usually plural). > > Adrian informed Nikita that the proto-version of Section consisted of > > a secret alliance of the CIA, British Intelligence, Mossad, and some > > others I can't recall off-hand. It's fairly clear that Section is > > international in scope. > > > > So, does anyone have any idea who in the outside world knows about > > it? In the high levels of the various governments involved, at least > > a few people would have to be aware of it. _Somewhere_, the Section > > chain of command would have to couple into the ordinary officials. > > > > So, who outside of Section and its related outfits would have to > > know about the existence of Section? > > > > Shermanlee > > > I think of Center, Oversight and the Sections in this way, based on things > said by Operations, Adrian, and "The Big Cheese". Keep in mind that most > of what you will read is straight out of my own mind, and also that I > *still* have not seen every episode of the series yet: > > It all started with the first Section, presumably Section One. This was > started by Adrian as an anti-terrorist organization without jurisdiction > (this was necessary to be able to fight certain rivals otherwise protected > by their government). Soon Adrian realized that Section needed *someone* to > answer to, so together with George she created Oversight. She turned > Section over to a very capable young operative named Paul. Well, I think you're probably righ that Section One started out first. I hadn't thought about that. I just assumed that the other Sections and S1 cmae into being at the same time. But I would imagine that the concept would have to be 'field-tested'. However, you asked for canon-correction. According to Walter, Adrian, and Operation and Madeline, she didn't turn S1 over to Paul, Paul _took_ it from her in what amounted to a coup. How this worked was never made clear, or why George tolerated it. Paul was originally her lieutenant, and her student as well. > Since Oversight was sort of a checks-and-balances type organization for the > Sections, and not a full-fledged "parent" organization, there was a need for > a centralized leadership and coordination effort to keep the Sections and > Oversight from possibly splitting apart. It would need to be purely > objective, meaning no one involved in the formation of Section and Oversight > could be the head of this new firm. Thus was born Center, who answered to > no one in the world but themselves. But who pays the bills? It would cost a _lot_ of money to set up the Sections, and even more to keep them running. Somebody somewhere is supplying Section with cash and plenty of it. And _who_ created Center? If Adrian and George didn't, somebody had else had to do it. Who _selected_ Nikita's father? > The head of Center obviously could not be known to the Sections or > Oversight, therefore people like Mick Schtoppel were used to represent this > person, using the pseudonym "Mr. Jones" when dealing with the lower > agencies. > > The only thing I can't come up with is why Nikita's father was picked as the > head of Center. And, since according to my theory he could have no ties to > Oversight or Section, who then does he have ties to? We know he answers to > no one but himself, so he would have to be a man who wouldn't give in to > personal feelings and wouldn't be ambitious about ruling the world. He > would, by definition, have to be a truly righteous and selfless person. > > Just my spontaneous musings at midnight. Feel free to correct anything that > contradicts the canon. When I first heart Center mentioned, I had the impression that it was a place. That is, I thought we had the Sections, with Oversight to supervise them, and I thought Center was HQ, the physical place were Oversight met/worked. Obviously that doesn't quite fit. How about this? We seem to have more layers of authority than needed. When Adrian decided to create Section (I guess she should have known better?), who did she go to for support and money? How does this picture look to anyone who wants to reply? We have the Sections, and Section One as the most powerful of them. Oversight is a single group that controls and coordinates the Sections, and most important of all, keeps them in line and under control. Oversight and the Sections together form a single system. Center is bigger. It controls the Oversight/Sections, but it has other irons in the fire as well. Suppose the Nikita's father is actually the head of a whole bunch of different outfits and organizations, all culminating in Center, and Oversight/Sections are just one slice of the pie? Shermanlee

2001-08-13 00:25:37+00:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (lsking@toast.net)

On 10 Aug 2001 21:39:47 -0700, shermanlee1@hotmail.com (Johnny1A) wrote: > How about this? We seem to have more layers of authority than >needed. Typical government bureaocracy! Wouldn't you say we have a lot more government than we need, too?

2001-08-20 10:27:29-07:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (pcmacintyre@hotmail.com)

shermanlee1@hotmail.com (Johnny1A) wrote in message news:<b3030854.0108061839.7c70ef5b@posting.google.com>... <snip> To give an > example, the President of the United States. I don't believe for a > second that the president would be told. It would be too risky. > Every 4 to 8 years, a new president comes in. Just as a matter of > odds, sooner or later you're going to get one who'll take one look at > Section (assuming presidents are told) and get the creepy crawlies. > All it takes is one person with some conscience, or a stickler for law > and order, and you've got Trouble for Section with a capitol T! In "First Mission" the teaser begins with Operations on the phone with George and being told by an operative that the White House is on line two. So it appears that someone in the White House has a direct line to Section One.

2001-08-20 19:56:48-07:00 - Re: The Top Dog, the Big Cheese? - (shermanlee1@hotmail.com)

pcmacintyre@hotmail.com (SEW) wrote in message news:<4f5511f0.0108200927.681eab5c@posting.google.com>... > shermanlee1@hotmail.com (Johnny1A) wrote in message news:<b3030854.0108061839.7c70ef5b@posting.google.com>... > <snip> > > To give an > > example, the President of the United States. I don't believe for a > > second that the president would be told. It would be too risky. > > Every 4 to 8 years, a new president comes in. Just as a matter of > > odds, sooner or later you're going to get one who'll take one look at > > Section (assuming presidents are told) and get the creepy crawlies. > > All it takes is one person with some conscience, or a stickler for law > > and order, and you've got Trouble for Section with a capitol T! > > In "First Mission" the teaser begins with Operations on the phone with > George and being told by an operative that the White House is on line > two. So it appears that someone in the White House has a direct line > to Section One. That's a good point. If you want my opinion, I think that when the series first started, TPTB at USA thought of Section as a branch of the U.S. goverment, an illegal, secret branch, but still American. Later, when Adrian was introduced, they decided to expand it, make it the action arm of an international conspiracy (in theory to fight terrorism, but there is reason to doubt this). This did have the nice side-benefit of explaining why an Australian, a Frenchman, and so on were part of a secret force, which might have been a bit of a puzzle in Section had been purely American run. Still, for our purposes, it's odd that the White House would be tied to Section. See my comments earlier in the thread on that point. Shermanlee