FLM films - My Webpage

1999-02-21 00:00:00 - on topic post with spoilers, Gates of Hell. - (MacLeod <rkaprowsNOSPAM@telusplanet.net>)

Here's a post to get peoples minds off petty flame wars and back onto the show we all love. As a poor misfortunate Canadian I didn't have oppurtunity to see Gates of Hell till tonight. I have to say I enjoyed the show, and the whole arc in general. I realy enjoyed the morality plays and character insights. I see for the first time that Operations is a weak man. He is realy a coward, afraid of dealing with life, and afraid of living it. He always opts for the easy way out. At first I always saw him as this enigmatic veteran who was tougher than tough and larger than life. More and more his true colors become apparent. As usual I greatly enjoyed Roy's performance. He did a great job in convincing me that Michael was in real pain. Going into Gates of Hell I knew nothing about what was going to happen, for once I didn't read the spoilers. Still when the opening scene began and Michael put the bullet into the clip, i knew I would be seing this scene. As Michael broke down in tears I realy felt the shame in his eyes. Roy realy makes things so clear in his acting. I never find myself struggling to understand his meaning. To my surprise I greatly enjoyed Peta's performance as well. Normaly I can't stand Nikita, but I realy enjoyed the changes in her character this season. She is so much stronger this season, so much more in control. I enjoy watching the tables turn. I't was a classic when Operations told Michael to get over it. How many times did Nikita hear that. My favorite scene in the this eppisode for Nikita was the one where she is working at the computer and Walter comes in to talk to her. This scene epitomized the evolution of Nikita for me. The way she handled the conversation was excellent. It may seem to be an off judgement, but I realy loved that scene. Normaly Nikita is always going to others seeking help, but not anymore. She's started to trust herself and I like that. Normaly I have no problem deciphering the various looks in the show, but there was one that I did labour a tad with in Gates of Hell. When Operations takes the file out of the storage locker and Birkoff sees it, I can't decide if the look on his face is one of amusement, indicating that he has a backup of the file. Or if it is one of disgust with himself for having been duped so easily. I thought I saw the slightest hint of a smile in there, but I'm not sure. All in all a great episode and a great start to the season, I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

1999-02-21 00:00:00 - Re: on topic post with spoilers, Gates of Hell. - (Suzita <sugeo@att.net>)

MacLeod wrote in message ... > Here's a post to get peoples minds off petty flame wars and back onto >the show we all love. As a poor misfortunate Canadian I didn't have >oppurtunity to see Gates of Hell till tonight. I have to say I enjoyed the >show, and the whole arc in general. > Let me start by saying that I am so happy that you have seen the whole arc. Now, let's all just hope that the US and Canada stay in synch. I agree wholeheartedly. This arc was of superior quality and (though I really had none) it far exceeded any expections I might have had. > I realy enjoyed the morality plays and character insights. I see for >the first time that Operations is a weak man. He is realy a coward, afraid >of dealing with life, and afraid of living it. He always opts for the easy >way out. At first I always saw him as this enigmatic veteran who was >tougher than tough and larger than life. More and more his true colors >become apparent. Interesting take on Operations. Could be true. I have, of late, seen him as a megalomaniac. But that could just be a cover for what you call his weaknesses. > > As usual I greatly enjoyed Roy's performance. He did a great job in >convincing me that Michael was in real pain. Going into Gates of Hell I >knew nothing about what was going to happen, for once I didn't read the >spoilers. Still when the opening scene began and Michael put the bullet >into the clip, i knew I would be seing this scene. As Michael broke down in >tears I realy felt the shame in his eyes. Roy realy makes things so clear >in his acting. I never find myself struggling to understand his meaning. I hadn't thought about shame.....just remorse. Shame, however, added to the equation, does make it a more powerfully painful experience to watch. Good choice of word. > > To my surprise I greatly enjoyed Peta's performance as well. Normaly I >can't stand Nikita, but I realy enjoyed the changes in her character this >season. She is so much stronger this season, so much more in control. I >enjoy watching the tables turn. I't was a classic when Operations told >Michael to get over it. How many times did Nikita hear that. My favorite >scene in the this eppisode for Nikita was the one where she is working at >the computer and Walter comes in to talk to her. This scene epitomized the >evolution of Nikita for me. The way she handled the conversation was >excellent. It may seem to be an off judgement, but I realy loved that >scene. Normaly Nikita is always going to others seeking help, but not >anymore. She's started to trust herself and I like that. Again, I agree. I want her to trust herself. And she is doing that. Seems she can still hope for light in others, while accepting (maybe not the best choice of word) their weaknesses and conniving natures, while learning to work around them. > > Normaly I have no problem deciphering the various looks in the show, but >there was one that I did labour a tad with in Gates of Hell. When >Operations takes the file out of the storage locker and Birkoff sees it, I >can't decide if the look on his face is one of amusement, indicating that he >has a backup of the file. Or if it is one of disgust with himself for >having been duped so easily. I thought I saw the slightest hint of a smile >in there, but I'm not sure. That one, too, has me stumped. And I think I too saw a hint of a smile. Do not know what to make of it. I am certain (or let us hope) this will not be a dead issue only referred to again and again by Operations as a hold over Birkoff and Walter. This storyline is one I want to see fleshed out. > > All in all a great episode and a great start to the season, I'm looking >forward to seeing where things go from here. > Me too. Suzita

1999-02-21 00:00:00 - Re: on topic post with spoilers, Gates of Hell. - (MacLeod <rkaprowsNOSPAM@telusplanet.net>)

Suzita wrote in message <7apilf$llk@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>... > >MacLeod wrote in message ... >> Here's a post to get peoples minds off petty flame wars and back onto >>the show we all love. As a poor misfortunate Canadian I didn't have >>oppurtunity to see Gates of Hell till tonight. I have to say I enjoyed the >>show, and the whole arc in general. >> > > >Let me start by saying that I am so happy that you have seen the whole arc. >Now, let's all just hope that the US and Canada stay in synch. > Unfortunately it doesn't look like they will. The weeekend of march 7'th when all the usa viewers will be seeing immitation of death we in Canada will be subjected to yet another figure skating championship. When i read the tv schedule and saw this i reacted like Michael did in the opening scene in Gates of Hell. Ok i'm lying, in reality there was alot of swearing and otherwise objectionable behavior. You are right in your observation that Operations is a megalomaniac. I think he is a coward as well, but there is more to him than that. He also has a god complex. I think Operations just doesn't get it, he's like an alien examining human life from afar, not realy knowing how it works, and too afraid to learn how. His comment on God's 10% succes rate shows his ignorance.