FLM films - My Webpage

2002-11-11 19:47:59-05:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (PHI <the_golden_ratio@hotmail.com>)

If you go on IRC you can probably get them fairly easy. ICR is the best place to get episodes of pretty much any show you want and most are in pretty good quality too. "Tony" <Tony@instaview.com> wrote in message news:m5Wz9.1198$V16.10286@rwcrnsc54... > Aside from Edonkey, are divx versions anywhere? I cant ever seem > to do squat with taht damned program.. > > Since its gonna be a good 6 months, at least, to see a DVD.. it would > be nice in the mean time... espcially since i know they ARE out there, > somewhere... > >

2002-11-11 22:23:14+00:00 - Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (Tony <Tony@instaview.com>)

Aside from Edonkey, are divx versions anywhere? I cant ever seem to do squat with taht damned program.. Since its gonna be a good 6 months, at least, to see a DVD.. it would be nice in the mean time... espcially since i know they ARE out there, somewhere...

2002-11-12 02:40:47+00:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com)

[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] "Tony" <Tony@instaview.com> spake the secret code <m5Wz9.1198$V16.10286@rwcrnsc54> thusly: >Aside from Edonkey, are divx versions anywhere? I never got a single byte of any episodes by edonkey. After having switching to winmx, I'm still not getting any nowhere man episodes, but I've learned from looking at the competition that edonkey sucks. -- Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-12 09:54:21-08:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com>)

The only reason edonkey "sucks" in this case is there were no sources for the files. The technology behind edonkey is way cooler than any of the other p2p programs. As far as IRC goes, the only time I've ever seen NwM anywhere is on dalnet in the channel #the-scifi-channel. Media-Maxine has them in there, but only by request, and I found her to be not the most pleasant person to deal with, so I gave up. Rich wrote: > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] > > "Tony" <Tony@instaview.com> spake the secret code > <m5Wz9.1198$V16.10286@rwcrnsc54> thusly: > > >Aside from Edonkey, are divx versions anywhere? > > I never got a single byte of any episodes by edonkey. After having > switching to winmx, I'm still not getting any nowhere man episodes, > but I've learned from looking at the competition that edonkey sucks. > -- > Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! > Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> > izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer > <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-12 20:58:06+00:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com)

[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com> spake the secret code <3DD1404D.9B1FF4E4@sigkill.com> thusly: >The only reason edonkey "sucks" in this case is there were no sources >for the files. No, edonkey sucks because it spends many hours sitting there downloading nothing, while winmx manages to download the same content much faster. This is with a comparable number of sources for the same material; its not like there were 10,000 sources on winmx and only 1 on edonkey. >The technology behind edonkey is way cooler than any of >the other p2p programs. I'm not interested in "cool technology"; its the results that matter. winmx delivers the goods. edonkey/overnet does not. As a software engineer I'd have to say that edonkey is written by lamers who don't know how to write code that is efficient or usable. I've talked about the quality of edonkey, both as a program and as a p2p client, with other software engineers and they had the same conclusions that I had. Its newest incarnation sucks even more (overnet). It spends 100% of my CPU for about 40 seconds in order to display a context menu. They try to fob off their UI coding lameness on the .NET framework -- which only begs the question of why did they choose the .NET framework if its so lame? Never mind the fact that other .NET based applications don't take 40 seconds of 100% CPU usage in order to display a context menu. With edonkey they tried to blame their UI problems on MFC. MFC isn't perfect, but there are literally thousands of applications that manage to use MFC without problems. Again, this just points the finger at the edonkey coders being absolute lamers. They blame everyone else for their coding lameness instead of taking responsibility for the quality of their product. -- Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-14 10:23:31-08:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com>)

If you're downloading mp3s or something, I agree that eDonkey is definitely not ideal, but if you want to download something that's 700MB or something, then the other networks fall apart. They simply can't distribute the files fast enough. Imagine that I share a 700MB file with my slow cable modem. It will take like a day for me to send it to a second person. If it's another slow person I sent it to, then it will be another day before four people have it. This is assuming people actually stay online 24/7, which they do not. What eDonkey does is that people can start sending the file out as soon as they get it. So the second that first guy starts getting the file from me, he can start sending his parts to other people. And because the parts are downloaded randomly, soon there are dozens of senders who may not have the whole file yet, but between them have it all, even if I go offline before any one individual has the whole file. The only problem with eDonkey is that it works *too* well. There simply isn't enough bandwidth to go around. The other networks work better for smaller files, because users tend to have a lot of upstream bandwidth to spare to send you a little mp3 or whatever. I never use eDonkey for small files As for Overnet, I agree. It sucks. eMule is kinda cool, though. Rich wrote: > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] > > Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com> spake the secret code > <3DD1404D.9B1FF4E4@sigkill.com> thusly: > > >The only reason edonkey "sucks" in this case is there were no sources > >for the files. > > No, edonkey sucks because it spends many hours sitting there > downloading nothing, while winmx manages to download the same content > much faster. This is with a comparable number of sources for the same > material; its not like there were 10,000 sources on winmx and only 1 > on edonkey. > > >The technology behind edonkey is way cooler than any of > >the other p2p programs. > > I'm not interested in "cool technology"; its the results that matter. > winmx delivers the goods. edonkey/overnet does not. > > As a software engineer I'd have to say that edonkey is written by > lamers who don't know how to write code that is efficient or usable. > I've talked about the quality of edonkey, both as a program and as a > p2p client, with other software engineers and they had the same > conclusions that I had. > > Its newest incarnation sucks even more (overnet). It spends 100% of my > CPU for about 40 seconds in order to display a context menu. They try > to fob off their UI coding lameness on the .NET framework -- which only > begs the question of why did they choose the .NET framework if its so > lame? Never mind the fact that other .NET based applications don't > take 40 seconds of 100% CPU usage in order to display a context menu. > With edonkey they tried to blame their UI problems on MFC. MFC isn't > perfect, but there are literally thousands of applications that manage > to use MFC without problems. Again, this just points the finger at the > edonkey coders being absolute lamers. They blame everyone else for > their coding lameness instead of taking responsibility for the quality > of their product. > -- > Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! > Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> > izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer > <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-14 19:21:14+00:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com)

[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com> spake the secret code <3DD3EA23.280EC167@sigkill.com> thusly: >If you're downloading mp3s or something, I agree that eDonkey is definitely >not ideal, but if you want to download something that's 700MB or something, >then the other networks fall apart. This is contrary to my experience. I've been downloading 400MB episodes of Enterprise, etc., with WinMX far faster than edonkey ever downloaded them. ...and its not because there are more sources on WinMX. edonkey had even -more- sources for most material and still managed to download the file slower. >Imagine that I share a 700MB file with my slow cable modem. >It will take like a day for me to send it to a second person. If it's >another slow person I sent it to, then it will be another day before four >people have it. This is assuming people actually stay online 24/7, which >they do not. That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't make any difference if edonkey never starts the download or spends many hours doing absolutely nothing. Like I said previously, winmx isn't perfect, but the end results are far better than edonkey/overnet in my experience. -- Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-14 21:37:24-08:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com>)

Rich wrote: > That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't make any difference if > edonkey never starts the download or spends many hours doing > absolutely nothing. Like I said previously, winmx isn't perfect, but > the end results are far better than edonkey/overnet in my experience. Yeah, I think it goes back to it working *too* well. The second I log onto the thing, there are 50 people queued up to download stuff off me. There just isn't enough upstream bandwidth to go around. But I can download stuff just fine. And the thing I like best is I get things linked from sharereactor.com, so I know they're real files, and not movies of people having sex with goats renamed to something else.

2002-11-15 10:21:53+00:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com)

[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com> spake the secret code <3DD48814.1B537A66@sigkill.com> thusly: >Yeah, I think it goes back to it working *too* well. If it worked too well, my connection would be maxxed out, not sitting idle for 24 hrs. at a stretch. I don't understand why you keep saying the reason it is so slow at downloading anything is because its too "good". If that's what makes it "good", then I'll take "poor" winmx anyday. At least it gets the job done. -- Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-15 13:48:02-08:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com>)

Well, I'm only speaking from my experience. My connection never sits idle. Maybe you have a firewall blocking the port or something. Rich wrote: > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] > > Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com> spake the secret code > <3DD48814.1B537A66@sigkill.com> thusly: > > >Yeah, I think it goes back to it working *too* well. > > If it worked too well, my connection would be maxxed out, not sitting > idle for 24 hrs. at a stretch. > > I don't understand why you keep saying the reason it is so slow at > downloading anything is because its too "good". > > If that's what makes it "good", then I'll take "poor" winmx anyday. > At least it gets the job done. > -- > Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! > Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> > izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer > <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

2002-11-15 22:17:26+00:00 - Re: Divx Availability while waiting on DVDs? - (legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com)

[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] Jason Gilbert <jasonqg@sigkill.com> spake the secret code <3DD56B92.1F1B1A22@sigkill.com> thusly: >Maybe you have a firewall blocking the port or something. Or maybe its just shitty software. I have no firewall blocking the port. It occasionally gives a small burst of activity, but most of the time sits there doing nothing. Sending nothing. Receiving nothing. If it works well for you, fine. I'm saying that my experience with it leads me to believe its a piece of crap. The excuses offered by the programmers themselves for its behavior tell me that they are in denial about their lack of ability to use a GUI toolkit properly. -- Ask me about my upcoming book on Direct3D from Addison-Wesley! Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/> izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>