FLM films - My Webpage

2001-01-10 19:21:20+00:00 - Question re DVD recording - (mencken@home.com)

Panasonic has just issued some kind of fancy new DVD recorder. It sounds like it will allow recording of standard DVD's that playback in consumer type DVD's, as opposed to just the DVDROM's that are housed in clunky holders for use in computers, but I'm no expert. At the same time, Apple is promising to issue new machines that contain these recorders as well as software that allow MPEG-2 compression. Wonder if this is as good as it sounds? Any experts out there wanna tell me why its not? ---------- LONG BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 10, 2001-- Pioneer New Media Technologies (NYSE:PIO - news), the leader in recordable DVD technology, Wednesday announced that the Pioneer DVR-103 recordable DVD/CD drive is integrated in select new Power Mac G4 systems. This remarkable combination drive is targeted for home video editing and professional-quality DVD recording alike. ``Pioneer has achieved a new milestone with the DVR-103 drive,'' said Hani Gabriel, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Optical Systems Division for Pioneer. ``This is an exciting new product and we're very pleased that Apple will be offering our latest DVD recording technology.'' DVD-R is a 4.7GB write-once DVD format that is compatible with most existing video players and DVD-ROM drives. Pioneer's DVR-103 drive writes and reads DVD-R, CD-R and CD-RW media, and also reads CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs. The drive offers up to 4.7GB of storage capacity on a single sided DVD disc. ``For the first time, Macintosh users have a cost-effective way to convert their video creations into their own DVD discs,'' said Paul Dempsey, president of Pioneer New Media Technologies. ``The DVD-R format provides an excellent medium for both consumers and professional video users alike to showcase their work using standard DVD video players and ROM drives.'' ``The blazingly fast new Power Mac G4 combined with Pioneer's new DVD/CD recordable drive and innovative Apple software such as iTunes and iDVD provides a powerful solution for easily making your own CDs and DVDs,'' said Philip Schiller, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

2001-01-11 19:45:30+01:00 - Re: Question re DVD recording - (El Hombre <REMOVEjpj@casema.net.INVALID>)

DVD rom's - as in DvD discs with software, no clunkyness involved DVD Ram clunky cartridge, does not fit in home DVD player, lower capacity DvD-R, DVD+Rw - the idea is as you describe below. Hang on though cause there is a standards war raging now a la betamax/vhs/video2000 .... Also the recorder will be quite expensive for quite a few months... <mencken@home.com> wrote in message news:3A5CB7CA.EC309979@home.com... > Panasonic has just issued some kind of fancy new DVD recorder. It sounds > like it will allow recording of standard DVD's that playback in consumer > type DVD's, as opposed to just the DVDROM's that are housed in clunky > holders for use in computers, but I'm no expert. At the same time, Apple > is promising to issue new machines that contain these recorders as well > as software that allow MPEG-2 compression. > > Wonder if this is as good as it sounds? Any experts out there wanna tell > me why its not? > > ---------- > > LONG BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 10, 2001-- Pioneer New Media > Technologies (NYSE:PIO - news), the leader in recordable DVD technology, > Wednesday announced that the Pioneer > DVR-103 recordable DVD/CD drive is integrated in select new Power Mac G4 > systems. > > This remarkable combination drive is targeted for home video editing and > professional-quality DVD recording alike. > > ``Pioneer has achieved a new milestone with the DVR-103 drive,'' said > Hani Gabriel, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Optical > Systems Division for Pioneer. ``This is an exciting new product > and we're very pleased that Apple will be offering our latest DVD > recording technology.'' > > DVD-R is a 4.7GB write-once DVD format that is compatible with most > existing video players and DVD-ROM drives. Pioneer's DVR-103 drive > writes and reads DVD-R, CD-R and CD-RW media, and > also reads CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs. The drive offers up to 4.7GB of > storage capacity on a single sided DVD disc. > > ``For the first time, Macintosh users have a cost-effective way to > convert their video creations into their own DVD discs,'' said Paul > Dempsey, president of Pioneer New Media Technologies. ``The DVD-R > format provides an excellent medium for both consumers and professional > video users alike to showcase their work using standard DVD video > players and ROM drives.'' > > ``The blazingly fast new Power Mac G4 combined with Pioneer's new DVD/CD > recordable drive and innovative Apple software such as iTunes and iDVD > provides a powerful solution for easily making > your own CDs and DVDs,'' said Philip Schiller, Apple's vice president of > Worldwide Product Marketing.

2001-01-11 23:59:32+00:00 - Re: Question re DVD recording - (mencken@home.com)

El Hombre wrote: > > DVD rom's - as in DvD discs with software, no clunkyness involved > DVD Ram clunky cartridge, does not fit in home DVD player, lower capacity > > DvD-R, DVD+Rw - the idea is as you describe below. Hang on though cause > there is a standards war raging now a la betamax/vhs/video2000 .... > > Also the recorder will be quite expensive for quite a few months... > so, if one wants to transfer VHS video tapes to DVD, one wants DVD-R or RW...is that correct? I understand that there are mega thousand devices that purport to do this, but this held out hope of a breakthru since it was going to be included in a Mac computer (assuming same becomes available, but that is another story altogether)..plus Apple was claiming to market MPEG-2 encoding software (isn't that the compression format that commercial movies on DVD use???) for pretty cheap....

2001-01-12 03:26:34+00:00 - Re: Question re DVD recording - (mencken@home.com)

The top of the line (read - most expensive) new Mac computer will, according to Steve Jobs *, contain the Pioneer Superdrive, which, also according to Jobs * will do the following: The Superdrive, made by Pioneer, can read and write data and audio on CDs and read and write data and video on DVDs. That�s all in one drive. Jobs noted previous attempts at doing this resulted in $5,000 drives. And the DVDs you burn will play on any home DVD machine. Jobs * also claimed that Apple will sell DVD burning software which is represented to: His iDVD software, though, seems to be way ahead of the curve. Jobs explained that by using the power of the G4 chip�s velocity engine, Apple engineers have been able to come up with a way to burn DVD video at a 2-to-1 rate (10 minutes of burn time for 5 minutes of source video) instead of the 25-to-1 software-encoding solutions currently available. Add to that the Mac�s infamous drag-and-drop capabilities to design how your DVD will look, and you have what appears to be a very desirable video tool for the 733 MHz G4 box. Apple plans to market blank DVDs for you to burn. Five will set you back $49.95. I think I read yesterday that the software involves MPEG-2 compression. * No warranty is made for claims by Steve Jobs. I�ve been burned before. Offered for information purposes only.

2001-01-12 21:49:39+01:00 - Re: Question re DVD recording - (El Hombre <REMOVEjpj@casema.net.INVALID>)

.Vob files on DVD's are in Mpeg 2 format, that's corrent. It sounds good! <mencken@home.com> wrote in message news:3A5E7B03.8AE117D1@home.com... > > The top of the line (read - most expensive) new Mac computer will, > according to Steve Jobs *, contain the Pioneer Superdrive, which, also > according to Jobs * will do the following: > > The Superdrive, made by Pioneer, can read and write data and audio on > CDs and read and write data and video on DVDs. That's > all in one drive. > Jobs noted previous attempts at doing this resulted in > $5,000 drives. And > the DVDs you burn will play on any home DVD machine. > > > Jobs * also claimed that Apple will sell DVD burning software which is > represented to: > > > His iDVD software, though, seems to be way ahead of the curve. Jobs > explained that by using the power of the G4 chip's > velocity engine, Apple > engineers have been able to come up with a way to > burn DVD video at a > 2-to-1 rate (10 minutes of burn time for 5 minutes > of source video) instead > of the 25-to-1 software-encoding solutions currently available. > Add to that the Mac's infamous drag-and-drop > capabilities to design > how your DVD will look, and you have what appears to > be a very > desirable video tool for the 733 MHz G4 box. Apple > plans to market blank > DVDs for you to burn. Five will set you back > $49.95. > > > I think I read yesterday that the software involves MPEG-2 compression. > > > * No warranty is made for claims by Steve Jobs. I've been burned before. > Offered for information purposes only.

2001-01-12 22:25:58+00:00 - Re: Question re DVD recording - (mencken@home.com)

El Hombre wrote: > > .Vob files on DVD's are in Mpeg 2 format, that's corrent. > > It sounds good! > it does?!...wow...I was sure there was going to be some obvious fly in the ointment of course, this is Apple we're dealing with so I'm not going to hold my breath still, I've been waiting for the DVD thing to work out for quite a while now..

2001-01-16 20:59:47+01:00 - Re: Question re DVD recording - (El Hombre <REMOVEjpj@casema.net.INVALID>)

Note that in the release it says "most" dvd drives, whereas Apple says 'all' - significant difference there.... However the price of this device that will be integrated in the top-o-the-line model should be affordable - and they should probably start selling it shortly as a seperate component? Note that this doesn't settle the standards war : DVD-R vs DvD+RW etc <mencken@home.com> wrote in message news:3A5F8612.A158C5F5@home.com... > > > El Hombre wrote: > > > > .Vob files on DVD's are in Mpeg 2 format, that's corrent. > > > > It sounds good! > > > > > it does?!...wow...I was sure there was going to be some obvious fly in > the ointment > > of course, this is Apple we're dealing with so I'm not going to hold my breath > > still, I've been waiting for the DVD thing to work out for quite a while now..