FLM films - My Webpage

2002-08-01 15:17:05-07:00 - some minor DVD updates - (todd at realeyz <todd@SPAMFREErealeyz.com>)

Some bits of news: I have re-considered my choice of audio encoding and decided to go with AC-3 after all instead of PCM. I did many more tests and found the quality wasnt really what was different between the two but merely volume - AC-3 encoding lowers the master volume a bit. Sure there is *some* quality difference between them, but its very slight. This will allow me more space on each disk for extras, better quality video, and latitude for anything else that might come up. I should be able to encode video at 7.0 or 7.5, but most probably 7.0 as this is the most compatible with set-top players. AC-3 is apparently more compatible with set-top players than PCM is on DVD-R discs. Blank DVD-R disc options seem to be getting better and better all the time. I have found TDK blanks with 2X rated speed for $2 a piece. This is good news, as each disk would only take about 25 minutes to burn. I would be able to burn a full set of 13 discs in a single day easily. I am still investigating methods for printing on the discs but have yet to find something solid yet I feel confident in. In most cases it means I have to get 'printable' DVD-R media, which is a bit harder to find. I may end up abandoning this entirely and just write the episodes on each disc. I have a feeling most of you dont really care about this too much anyway. I should recieve about half of the episodes next week so I can start encoding and putting together full test discs for menus and navigation. Its getting exciting!! 8))) The overwhelming majority is for the cover design #4 so I have taken this and will further refine it and layout the back cover along with it for the full printed slick. The back cover will mostly be the credits and summary for each of the 4 episodes inside. Hope everyone is having a great summer!! - todd - Todd Siechen - RealEyz Imaging - www.realeyz.com - Reply by removing "SPAMFREE" from address

2002-08-01 22:22:19+00:00 - Re: some minor DVD updates - (3do <3do@attbi.com>)

where did you find $2 2x dvds? just curious "todd at realeyz" <todd@SPAMFREErealeyz.com> wrote in message news:gjcjkukaf36bfv8qvrbek7oq9phgr9rhar@4ax.com... > Some bits of news: > > I have re-considered my choice of audio encoding and decided to go > with AC-3 after all instead of PCM. I did many more tests and found > the quality wasnt really what was different between the two but > merely volume - AC-3 encoding lowers the master volume a bit. Sure > there is *some* quality difference between them, but its very slight. > This will allow me more space on each disk for extras, better quality > video, and latitude for anything else that might come up. I should be > able to encode video at 7.0 or 7.5, but most probably 7.0 as this is > the most compatible with set-top players. AC-3 is apparently more > compatible with set-top players than PCM is on DVD-R discs. > > Blank DVD-R disc options seem to be getting better and better all the > time. I have found TDK blanks with 2X rated speed for $2 a piece. > This is good news, as each disk would only take about 25 minutes to > burn. I would be able to burn a full set of 13 discs in a single day > easily. > > I am still investigating methods for printing on the discs but have > yet to find something solid yet I feel confident in. In most cases it > means I have to get 'printable' DVD-R media, which is a bit harder to > find. I may end up abandoning this entirely and just write the > episodes on each disc. I have a feeling most of you dont really care > about this too much anyway. > > I should recieve about half of the episodes next week so I can start > encoding and putting together full test discs for menus and > navigation. Its getting exciting!! 8))) > > The overwhelming majority is for the cover design #4 so I have taken > this and will further refine it and layout the back cover along with > it for the full printed slick. The back cover will mostly be the > credits and summary for each of the 4 episodes inside. > > Hope everyone is having a great summer!! > > - todd > > - Todd Siechen > - RealEyz Imaging > - www.realeyz.com > - Reply by removing "SPAMFREE" from address