FLM films - My Webpage

2001-02-09 20:35:05+01:00 - Pioneer Superdrive - (Hombre <jpj@casema.net.INVALID>)

$ 995 is a pretty good price, could have been less 'course... I hear the DVD recordables should be going for around $ 5 a pop, ofcourse it depends on the demand and the success of this device... JP Even so that > new DVD SuperDrive on the top line Mac does change a lot of things for > agencies like mine that do all sorts of other work besides 3D for broadcast. > Not that Apple can actually ship you one before the summer but the > capabilites and price of that 733MHZ G4 are pretty groundbreaking. > Just a side note, I just read that Pioneer is releasing the SuperDrive as a stand alone item for $995 in April or May. So now you can burn DVDs affordably without making a jump to Mac. kevin hardboiled studio atlanta, ga

2001-02-13 00:32:21+00:00 - Re: Pioneer Superdrive - (mencken@home.com)

$5 is what Apple claims they will sell them for Question - Will the standalone SuperDrive need a computer to accomplish the MPEG encoding, or will you be able to plug an existing VCR or Camcorder in and just record directly into the SuperDrive? The Apple software which will do MPEG - 2 encoding is another thousand bucks Hombre wrote: > > $ 995 is a pretty good price, could have been less 'course... > > I hear the DVD recordables should be going for around $ 5 a pop, > ofcourse it depends on the demand and the success of this device... > > JP > > Even so that > > new DVD SuperDrive on the top line Mac does change a lot of things for > > agencies like mine that do all sorts of other work besides 3D for > broadcast. > > Not that Apple can actually ship you one before the summer but the > > capabilites and price of that 733MHZ G4 are pretty groundbreaking. > > > > Just a side note, I just read that Pioneer is releasing the SuperDrive as a > stand alone item for $995 in April or May. So now you can burn DVDs > affordably without making a jump to Mac. > > kevin > hardboiled studio > atlanta, ga

2001-02-13 19:51:49+01:00 - Re: Pioneer Superdrive - (Hombre <jpj@casema.net.INVALID>)

Think of it as a CD-R/RW recorder; it will have an interface to hook it up to a drive controller and perhaps an audio out, but that's it. You'll first need to create the DVD images with software like SpruceUp, Scenarist NT, Sonic DVDit or simillar. Before that, you need to create the video and audio in MPEG2 format, either by capturing directly into that format from tape or converting from raw captured video. One snag though: the quality if you capture from tape will no better than VHS, although you can then play it directly from your standalone DVD player and there should be some room for extra's. Also maybe you'll like this: Fluorescent Multilayer Disc/Card is Constellation 3D's storage technology. Clear discs that'll fit 20-100GB in CD form factor, and a few GB on the cards and smaller discs... The movie industry has some interest, of course. Anyhow, the british guys who're claiming 10 terabytes on a credit card just made it over to Slashdot, so it inspired me to see what C3D has been up to. Looks like they're making serious progress: http://www.c-3d.net/text/press37.html <-Lite-On will manufacture drives http://www.c-3d.net/text/press37.html <-Toolex will make mass-duplication equipment http://www.c-3d.net/text/press37.html <-Their product-line plans, as of last July. Apparently they have some concept images up, which Lynx isn't going to let me see due to an "Unsupported URL scheme." :) http://www.c-3d.net/text/images.html Anyhow, now that they have a real manufacturing partner in Lite-On, and demoed at the recent theatre-of-the-future thing in NYC (this was a few months back, and I'm not sure exactly what part they played- not sure if they were demoing the DVD of the future, or if their media was actually used to store the satellite-downloaded film..).. It seems safe to assume they're no longer vapor, and actually have something worth looking forward to. Ciao, JP <mencken@home.com> wrote in message news:3A888256.9742036C@home.com... > $5 is what Apple claims they will sell them for > > Question - Will the standalone SuperDrive need a computer to accomplish > the MPEG encoding, or will you be able to plug an existing VCR or > Camcorder in and just record directly into the SuperDrive? > > The Apple software which will do MPEG - 2 encoding is another thousand bucks > > > > Hombre wrote: > > > > $ 995 is a pretty good price, could have been less 'course... > > > > I hear the DVD recordables should be going for around $ 5 a pop, > > ofcourse it depends on the demand and the success of this device... > > > > JP > > > > Even so that > > > new DVD SuperDrive on the top line Mac does change a lot of things for > > > agencies like mine that do all sorts of other work besides 3D for > > broadcast. > > > Not that Apple can actually ship you one before the summer but the > > > capabilites and price of that 733MHZ G4 are pretty groundbreaking. > > > > > > > Just a side note, I just read that Pioneer is releasing the SuperDrive as a > > stand alone item for $995 in April or May. So now you can burn DVDs > > affordably without making a jump to Mac. > > > > kevin > > hardboiled studio > > atlanta, ga

2001-02-16 01:22:15+00:00 - Re: Pioneer Superdrive - (mencken@home.com)

Hombre wrote: > > Think of it as a CD-R/RW recorder; it will have an interface to hook > it up to a drive controller and perhaps an audio out, but that's it. > > You'll first need to create the DVD images with software like SpruceUp, > Scenarist NT, Sonic DVDit or simillar. Before that, you need to create > the video and audio in MPEG2 format, either by capturing directly into > that format from tape or converting from raw captured video. so, bottom line is you'll still need a computer and all that stuff..might as well just get it as part of a Mac as opposed to standalone... > > One snag though: the quality if you capture from tape will no better than > VHS, although you can then play it directly from your standalone DVD player > and there should be some room for extra's. > that's ok...I just want to preserve my family tapes (gramps playing the squeezebox whlie the rest of the family plays Will the Circle Be unBroken...that sort of stuff) on something less fragile that that thin brown stuff they put in VHS containers.

2001-02-16 05:50:41+00:00 - Re: Pioneer Superdrive - (___thereverend@home.com)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:32:21 GMT, mencken@home.com wrote: >Question - Will the standalone SuperDrive need a computer to accomplish >the MPEG encoding, or will you be able to plug an existing VCR or >Camcorder in and just record directly into the SuperDrive? Unless there's one helluva lot of hardware in that thing, I rather doubt it. The velocity engine (think MMX/SSE on ultra-steroids) in the G4 can encode at a 2 to 1 encode/play time, which is pretty damn fast from what I remember. Unless they're tossing some high-end chips or standalone encoders, my bet is you'll edit it on your workstation, encode it, then burn it. >The Apple software which will do MPEG - 2 encoding is another thousand bucks I thought they said that it would come with everything you needed, which would include the encoder. --- They called me the Reverend when I entered the church unstained My employers have changed but the name has remained RMP3:"The goal is to sell albums" ftp://rmp3:progrock@24.4.21.182