FLM films - My Webpage

2001-03-16 22:23:10-08:00 - Re: where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (joshua fraim <theimortal1@qwest.net>)

thanks for ruining it. that was a sarcastic remark by the way. "Brian Barjenbruch" <brianb1@home.com> wrote in message news:brianb1-1603012329540001@cx950452-a.omhas1.ne.home.com... > In article <3AB2E66A.45000C7@optonline.net>, jtnews <jtnews@optonline.net> > wrote: > > > Brian Barjenbruch wrote: > > > > > > In article <3AB2D606.C9A9E9C9@optonline.net>, jtnews > > > <jtnews@optonline.net> wrote: > > > > > > > Where can I buy a Gideon 4000? > > > > I want one! > > > > > > Why? So it can make you obsolete like it wants to do with all dads? > > > > Well Gideon in the end wasn't going to make the father > > obsolete, as I originally thought. > > But that's exactly what Gideon DID. Look at the final scene where the > father gets home and goes to the dinner table, and Gideon chews him > out--"You're not wearing a tie." And Gideon himself said that he was > indispensable in the family, whereas the father wasn't. That's why Gideon > threatened to kill him if he ever tried to shut Gideon down again. > > -- > "Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery." > - Dr. Heywood Floyd, '2001: A Space Odyssey' >

2001-03-17 03:12:09+00:00 - where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (jtnews <jtnews@optonline.net>)

Where can I buy a Gideon 4000? I want one!

2001-03-17 03:59:29+00:00 - Re: where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (jtnews <jtnews@optonline.net>)

Hey tonight's episode was pretty good! I hope I can invent a robot like Gideon 4000! jtnews wrote: > > Where can I buy a Gideon 4000? > I want one!

2001-03-17 04:22:05+00:00 - Re: where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (jtnews <jtnews@optonline.net>)

Brian Barjenbruch wrote: > > In article <3AB2D606.C9A9E9C9@optonline.net>, jtnews > <jtnews@optonline.net> wrote: > > > Where can I buy a Gideon 4000? > > I want one! > > Why? So it can make you obsolete like it wants to do with all dads? Well Gideon in the end wasn't going to make the father obsolete, as I originally thought. In the end, Gideon was about taking over control of people's lives and forcing them to conform to stereotypical values.

2001-03-17 05:16:33+00:00 - Re: anything change? (was "where can I buy a Gideon 4000?") - (Buster <IamLegend@nowhereyet.com>)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:59:29 GMT, jtnews wrote: >Hey tonight's episode was >pretty good! > >I hope I can invent a robot >like Gideon 4000! > >jtnews wrote: >> >> Where can I buy a Gideon 4000? >> I want one! Hey all! I was wondering if anyone could tell me, if scifi's OL has changed noticably, since showtime? I wont be able to catch the new episodes for a li'l while, and was wondering if ..well, stuff like the opening sequence, maybe even the theme score, is Kevin Conway still with OL, or is there a new control voice? Sounds like "Family Values" was a good episode (at least judgeing by the above comment anyway), although reading the description for it, it sounds somewhat close to like "Mary 25" or its sequel...which I cant seem to recall the title of, or the other one, with X-Files Chrycek (however thats spelled again), which I think was indirectly related (they showed clips of the previous "companion"-related episodes, when she was "hooked up" to him). Next weeks episode "Patient Zero" sounds pretty good, too ...

2001-03-17 06:07:41+00:00 - Re: where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (stoodin101@aol.com)

>Where can I buy a Gideon 4000? >I want one! No you don't... Despite Entertainment Weekly's "D" grade for the premiere, I was happy with it! Essentially it is a retelling of Williamson's classic SF tale WITH FOLDED HANDS... "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis Cthulhu Mythos site: http://go.to/letters_from_outside

2001-03-17 06:59:29+00:00 - Re: where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (jtnews <jtnews@optonline.net>)

Brian Barjenbruch wrote: > But that's exactly what Gideon DID. Look at the final scene where the > father gets home and goes to the dinner table, and Gideon chews him > out--"You're not wearing a tie." And Gideon himself said that he was > indispensable in the family, whereas the father wasn't. That's why Gideon > threatened to kill him if he ever tried to shut Gideon down again. But the end result was that the father was complying with Gideon and going along with his ways. From his behavior in the office he doesn't seem like he is still feeling threatened. The relationship between the father and Gideon in the end is more like a dog obeying his master rather than someone being threatened. It's like Gideon is programming the family instead of the family programming Gideon. An interesting prospect to consider in the era of intelligent robots that will probably occur in this century!

2001-03-17 13:26:00+00:00 - Re: where can I buy a Gideon 4000? - (stoodin101@aol.com)

2001-03-17 13:33:54+00:00 - Re: anything change? (was "where can I buy a Gideon 4000?") - (stoodin101@aol.com)

>y all! I was wondering if anyone could tell me, if scifi's OL has changed >noticably, since showtime? I wont be able to catch the new episodes for a >li'l while, and was wondering if ..well, stuff like the opening sequence, >maybe even the theme score, is Kevin Conway still with OL, or is there a new Conway is still with us (his voice is as essential to this series as Vic Perrin's was the original series in the 60s), the theme is still with us, but the opening has changed again, and dramatically. More surrealistically nightmarish than ever before, and there is a great sequence modeled on Escher's artwork. "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis Cthulhu Mythos site: http://go.to/letters_from_outside

2001-03-19 00:38:35+00:00 - Re: anything change? (was "where can I buy a Gideon 4000?") - (Buster <IamLegend@nowhereyet.com>)

On 17 Mar 2001 13:33:54 GMT, J.B.L. wrote: > >Conway is still with us (his voice is as essential to this series as Vic >Perrin's was the original series in the 60s), the theme is still with us, but >the opening has changed again, and dramatically. More surrealistically >nightmarish than ever before, and there is a great sequence modeled on Escher's >artwork. > Ah, a new opening ...actually I think between first 6 seasons, I like the first intro a little better, over the second one created, the begining of first seasons opening (the small glowing dot of light, with expanding "salt and pepper" screens was pretty neat, and I think even more closely resembled the original series even too) I think also might've been created simular, to provide a kind of transition to the new series. Anyway, glad to hear! Oh, notice any familiar names, directors, writters; Azzopardi, Egan, Ellison, Niven, Rosenberg, van Vogt? Perhaps its too early yet since the pilot on SciFi just aired.

2001-03-19 03:36:11+00:00 - Re: anything change? (was "where can I buy a Gideon 4000?") - (stoodin101@aol.com)