FLM films - My Webpage

1999-07-17 00:00:00 - we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (Trancser <Trancser@freenet.nether.net>)

I'm suprised Sci-Fi channel has not started to aire TOOL (huh, I said tool :) as their doing TTZ. I wish somebody would, it'd be nice to be able to catch up on watching the originals of what showtime's been remaking, as well as whats NOT been remade ... Ya know, as far as Kevin Conways voice sounding "sinister" ....nah, the emotions he puts into the control voice make for a interesting effect. I thought Vic Parrin's voice of TOOL is ..yes, emotionless, simular to like some old voice synth type program you'd find for a computer (I was able to see the two OL movies(?) with kirk and spock in them, which showtime happen to remake them ....or one of them I guess - dont know about the kirk one?) I do enjoy TTZ (its almost like OL, but you can tell them apart), but since I'm hooked on OL from showtime, I think watching the original would probably be a blast.

1999-07-22 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (jrp32@NOSPAM.bellsouth.net)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 05:50:21 -0500, Trancser <Trancser@freenet.nether.net> wrote: >I do enjoy TTZ (its almost like OL, but you can tell them apart), but >since I'm hooked on OL from showtime, I think watching the original >would probably be a blast. > I'm guessing by TTZ you are referring to the original Twilight zone....B/W....robert redford, charles bronson,elizabeth montgomery, jack klugman....to name a very few. BTW, can anyone verify that that was the to-be telly savalas in the TZ episode with jack klugman as the alky gambler whose son was dieing in that place he'd never heard of....viet nam. I think that ep hailed from about '63. The man that i'm pretty sure was telly was listed in the credits as salvatore or something. (Yes, he had hair :)) if you enjoy the TZ, you will enjoy the original OL. I must say that for enjoying these, one must look past the FX of the day and enjoy the story. Cause the FX which was extraordinary for it's time and was a real wowser in the late sixties, is downright hokey today. A mundane ST episode has eye candy that will blow away anything done back then, but the content may be about 0 on a scale of 10, where the older show may actually have a story of substance to it. Personally, i prefer a story over eye candy. But i think in popularity, todays viewing audience largley prefers something like Independence Day which had no story of consequence....at all...but killer eye candy..

1999-07-23 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (Trancser <Trancser@freenet.nether.net>)

jim patterson wrote: > On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 05:50:21 -0500, Trancser > <Trancser@freenet.nether.net> wrote: > > > >I do enjoy TTZ (its almost like OL, but you can tell them apart), but > >since I'm hooked on OL from showtime, I think watching the original > >would probably be a blast. > > > I'm guessing by TTZ you are referring to the original Twilight > zone....B/W....robert redford, charles bronson,elizabeth montgomery, > jack klugman....to name a very few. The original is good, yea. IT is showing on sci-fi! (not the new tntz though, I dont know if anyone thinks it compares?) > > > BTW, can anyone verify that that was the to-be telly savalas in the TZ > episode with jack klugman as the alky gambler whose son was dieing in > that place he'd never heard of....viet nam. I think that ep hailed > from about '63. > The man that i'm pretty sure was telly was listed in the credits as > salvatore or something. (Yes, he had hair :)) > > if you enjoy the TZ, you will enjoy the original OL. I must say that > for enjoying these, one must look past the FX of the day and enjoy the > story. Cause the FX which was extraordinary for it's time and was a > real wowser in the late sixties, is downright hokey today. > A mundane ST episode has eye candy that will blow away anything done > back then, but the content may be about 0 on a scale of 10, where the > older show may actually have a story of substance to it. > > Personally, i prefer a story over eye candy. But i think in > popularity, todays viewing audience largley prefers something like > Independence Day which had no story of consequence....at all...but > killer eye candy.. I deffinitely love an awesome story for the episode, and there seems to be a LOT of them (for both TTZ and TOL, but I cant help be perticular about effects. I mean, I remember watching a FEW of the godzilla movies out there, every one of them involved a person wearing the green lizard suite, and in the older episodes, its especially noticable. But, besides sfx, cinematography also makes a HUGE difference, the way each scene's photographed .. I mean, you take the original tz, scenes involving car rides had a person with the camera ride along in the car with a BRIGHT light shining on the star or co-star (in the TZ that is), but, I suppose that you have to understand that for the TIME, they didnt have a huge budget, so they couldnt have alot of elaborate point of view's. This however, is with the new outer limits. Having extraordinary photography can also make a huge difference, oh ...SOUND! Sound can also make the big difference, it puts the mood to the episode.

1999-07-23 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (jrp32@NOSPAM.bellsouth.net)

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:18:43 -0500, Trancser <Trancser@freenet.nether.net> wrote: >a LOT of them (for both TTZ and TOL, but I cant help be perticular about >effects. I mean, I remember watching a FEW of the godzilla movies out >there, every one of them involved a person wearing the green lizard suite, Ah....make a game out of it. See if you can see the zipper. :) in alienscape movies, you might notice how many times the same background scenery is recycled. <G> But story is the key. Check out which people will sit and watch 'Forbidden Planet' or 'The Day The Earth Stood Still', and you will find the people who prefer substance to eye-candy. (Admittedly, when i was about 5 and saw the monster from the id crashing through the perimeter barriers in FP, i was absolutely terrified.)

1999-07-23 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - ("Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net>)

jim patterson <jrp32@NOSPAM.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:3798ab4c.99096893@news.atl.bellsouth.net... > But story is the key. Check out which people will sit and watch > 'Forbidden Planet' or 'The Day The Earth Stood Still', and you will > find the people who prefer substance to eye-candy. > > (Admittedly, when i was about 5 and saw the monster from the id > crashing through the perimeter barriers in FP, i was absolutely > terrified.) 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' is an excellent example. However, 'Forbidden Planet' is a *terrible* one for your argument. The special effects in that were very good for when it was released. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski (If any of my posts are found to contain an error, they come with a double your money back guarantee.) Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org/cgi/anyboard/board/index.html for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally.

The 13th Floor <floor13@bayarea.net> wrote in message news:379a12b3.786047@news.bayarea.net... > On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:17:05 -0400, "Robert F. Golaszewski" > <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote: > > > 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' is an excellent example. However, > >'Forbidden Planet' is a *terrible* one for your argument. The special > >effects in that were very good for when it was released. > Except for the Id monster, they STILL look pretty good. True. That film was definitely a milestone for excellent use of special effects for a science film. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski (If any of my posts are found to contain an error, they come with a double your money back guarantee.) Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org/cgi/anyboard/board/index.html for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally.

1999-07-24 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (floor13@bayarea.net)

Except for the Id monster, they STILL look pretty good. On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:17:05 -0400, "Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote: > 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' is an excellent example. However, >'Forbidden Planet' is a *terrible* one for your argument. The special >effects in that were very good for when it was released.

1999-07-27 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (Trancser <Trancser@freenet.nether.net>)

1999-07-28 00:00:00 - Re: we could use the OOL somewhere on t.v.! - (jrp32@NOSPAM.bellsouth.net)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:13:16 -0500, Trancser <Trancser@freenet.nether.net> wrote: > >Uh, no actually...I dont recall seeing Forbidden Planet. > >> >> >> (Admittedly, when i was about 5 and saw the monster from the id >> crashing through the perimeter barriers in FP, i was absolutely >> terrified.) > It's from the mid-fifties. Maybe you should treat yourself form the video store and pick it up some time. It's still worth the watch. It is considered a bit of a classic. > > >