FLM films - My Webpage

1999-08-15 00:00:00 - "Starcrossed" - (pwinter@best.com)

Haven't seen anyone here comment yet on this week's OL episode, "Starcrossed." Gosh, that plot sure looked familiar. :-) Let's see, there's a war going on, two resistance fighters are trying to get back to their home country, they come to a neutral city where the female of the couple discovers that an old lover of hers is running a (coffee) bar and might be able to arrange transportation for them...is this ringing any bells yet? :-) Well, at least no one said, "Of all the java joints in all the cities in the world, she had to walk into mine." :-) I won't give away the ending--i.e., whether it matches the original or not. Nor the place where the lovers originally met, which was definitely *not* Paris. :-) I don't want to imply that the episode was merely derivative, though. It had its own twists and stood just fine on its own. I don't think Showtime is rerunning each ep the same week, but reruns of the entire season should be starting soon, in case you missed this and want to catch it in the future. Patty

1999-08-17 00:00:00 - Re: "Starcrossed" (Possible Spoiler) - ("Martin L. Essigmann" <mlessigmann@gowebway.com>)

Did you notice that the alien officers were wearing pill-box hats just like Captain Renault (Claude Rains) in the original. Though this runs counter to the analogy, I thought it was the best (funniest) part of what was, IMHO, one of the weakest OLs in recent history. Patty Winter wrote in message <7p76n4$p8c$1@shell5.ba.best.com>... >Haven't seen anyone here comment yet on this week's OL episode, >"Starcrossed

1999-08-19 00:00:00 - Re: "Starcrossed" (Possible Spoiler) - (stoodin101@aol.com)

1999-08-20 00:00:00 - Re: "Starcrossed" (Possible Spoiler) - ("Martin L. Essigmann" <mlessigmann@gowebway.com>)

I appreciate your pointing out the other, original derivative plots. Actually, I saw those episodes before I was familar with the sources and probably enjoyed the original sources more because of it when I eventually read them. Thanks. (Any others?) StoOdin101 wrote in message <19990818200534.23586.00001001@ng-fs1.aol.com>... >>one of the weakest OLs in recent history. > >You bet. WEAK. Joseph Stefano did a haircut of MACBETH back in the 60s and >gave the original OL one of its most famous hours, THE BELLERO SHIELD. THE >HUNT was a MOST DANGEROUS GAME haircut and it was superb. But this STARCROSSED >thing was just too obviously CASABLANCA to work. There were no real twists, no >imagination, just CASABLANCA with aliens instead of Nazis. Very poor. And those >songs were HORRIBLE!!! > >OL people who lurk on this ng; listen, you want to do a musical, get the rights >to Jack Vance's magnificent story THE MOON MOTH and do that as a pure musical >ala UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG. but don't get Adrian Gurvitz to write the music for >you, get someone with some chops and talent! Gz!